Paul Combo Thread (old)

What are you guys doing after connecting with an EX PS in the corner? i have no problems juggling afterwards when i’m at mid or full screen, but in the corner i can never recover fast enough to hit anything. i’ve even had them end up on the other side of me at times, putting me in the corner for even trying to juggle.

let’s just say, don’t use it in the corner x)

ex sway is pretty nifty in the corner as the second hit hits behind him as well. since you avoid any shoryuken due to the invincibility as he does the first attack, you go right through him and still get the bounce.

I found a cool combo that works from anywhere, but I don’t think it’s actually practical to land in a real match. It looks cool as hell and I think this is the only way to combo this move, though, so at the very least it could be combo video filler.
Counterhit st.HP xx EX Sway, f+MP, st.HP xx HP Phoenix Smasher/Super
Can’t remember the exact damage numbers, but I think it’s roughly a little under 400 with the PS ender, and somewhere over 500 with the Super.
Unfortunately the crumple cannot be used to confirm the EX Sway as far as I know, and I dunno how realistic it is to gamble on those counterhits. Maybe if you already saved up a counterhit and then your opponent does something unsafe, for a punish situation. On the bright side though, this works anywhere (noteworthy because EX Phoenix Smasher can’t be followed in the corner) and and EX Sway, if blocked, is +2 anyway.

ch s.hp xx ex sway or ch s.hp, ex sway?

I did CH s.HP xx EX Sway in training mode. I dunno if linking it works, I didn’t try that. I’ll test that eventually. It would be nice if linking it works because then we could at least confirm the EX Sway before committing to it.

n00b question:

Is c.mp to any version of PS safe as a block string? If I’m reading the frame data correct (which I’m probably not), cr.mp xx hp PS would be the safest (-4?). I would test it myself if I had time to play right now.

needs to be canceled otherwise the opponent is registered airborne allready. it’s rather useless then imo. s.hp itself is rather slow and in situation where I’d go for ex sway s.hp has not enough reach or would get stuffed. it’s a nice gimmick and potencially a mixup occasionally but nothing I’d fish for per se. so no hitconfirm =/ after a s.hp crumble you can go with f.mp groundbounce for an extended combo.

“block stun” = how safe / unsafe a move is on block. so any ps is either -10 or -6.

testing the crumple stuff out now:

far HP(CH) will combo into charged smasher so combos like

Far HP(CH), charged smasher (EX), 6MP, HP, Super (562 damage)
by the same token EX Charged smasher gives you a super for the cost of 1 bar (435 damage)

Using the charged smasher means you have the option to dash cancel too :smiley: need to test in terms of safety frame wise but it’s good stuff. Also need to find some setups for far HP(CH) but I think that’s going to be hard considering HPs long start up :frowning:

lol why didn’t I thought of that? x) gonna test it out and post some CH combos off this.

edit: you can’t link it and it’s therefore not hit confirmable and a lucky shot more then anything else.

however I found some new stuff:

(far ch) s.hp, Morta (ground bounces), c.mp, c.mk xx Smasher/Super/Cross Art
this is the “new” combo to use if you score a ch s.hp.
and a minor breakthrough in terms of maximizing damage after a Tag: you can do s.mp, s.mp, c.mk xx Smasher/Super/Cross Art - MID SCREEN. this does similar damage as f.mp, c.mp, c.mk but is way easier to do after a normal launcher.

added combos on the above posted basis and some other stuff.

c.lp, c.lp, c.mp xx lk Raze, c.mk xx Smasher

Ok, I’ve been having a ton of trouble with this combo for weird reasons. After the mountain raze my opponent is too far to be hit by mk about 50% of the time. Why is that? I start the combo with crouching medium kick instead of 2 light punches, so is that the problem? Or am I just timing it wrong? Can someone explain this?

I can’t do this after a launcher of Poison, the second s.MP whiffs all the time ~.~
But so is f.MP, c.MP, c.MK… the c.MK allways whiffs… couldn’t do it a single time.

first s.mp needs to be inputed rather early. the launch height is generic imo, I did it with 3 different partners so I guess it should work with poison as well.

if it’s too difficult just go with another option. if you come from a full cross rush less hits are better anyway.

edit: added some chain combos (mainly for far punish).

also found that you can do s.mp, s.mp, c.mk xx after a ex mountain raze midscreen. rather strict timing tho.

I saw the persona Paul combo video, and most of those combos use 3 bars, in other words, they look good, but don’t waste your meter… if your gonna use 3 bars do a team super.

out of all the character forums i looked at so far, this thread is probably the best in terms of good character information. cheers to you zukuu. these combos really come in handy. anyone have any tips though for landing c.mk after an lk raze? i guess i’m in the same situation as what starwave said above. thanks.

to all who have difficulty connection lk raze, c.mk:
to time c.mk after a lk raze simply input c.mk as soon as you see paul landing on ground. easy visual clue.

found that you can do c.mk~s.hp after lk raze (into super/cross art). adds a small bit of damage. new bnb for 2 bars!
[499] cl.mp, c.hp xx lk Raze, c.mk~s.hp xx Super Art

edit:
added ALL possible normal links.

just found out that after a launcher you can do s.mp, f.mp, s.hp xx smasher/super/cross art MIDSCREEN. you need to hit the floating opponent with the fist of cl.mp. can’t nail it consistently, might be depending on the distance in which you hit with the launcher. can be easily done after any switch cancel launcher tho (shoryuken, flash kick, tiger uppercut etc).
343 damage meterless (including raw launcher)
490 damage with super (including raw launcher)
~571~ damage with cross art (including raw launcher)

Something I found yesterday:
cl.mp, c.hp xx lk.shredder looks awesome!

midscreen:
[370] j.hp, cl.mp, c.hp xx lk.shredder, c.mp xx hp.PS
At work at the moment, so I can’t be 100% sure of the damage.

ch s.hp xx lp.sway cannot be punished by pokes (as far as I know), making this a fairly good option for ch fishing, while being safer without using meter.
Mortar punch causes bounce to airborn opponents, and does more damage than 6mp after ch s.hp, this is preferable (imo) to 6mp.

Depending on spacing, hp.mortar can cross up while still getting the combo. I’ve been using this in combos to get out of (and place opponent in) a corner.

Counter hit combos:

0 bars
[364] (ch) s.hp xx lp.sway, mp/hp.mortar, c.mp, c.mk xx hp.PS

1 bar
[~320~] (ch) s.hp xx lp.sway, mp/hp.mortar, c.mp xx hk.shredder <tag> (c.mk xx lp.megaton, super [564])

2 bars
[521] (ch) s.hp xx SDC, cl.hp xx hk.shredder, super
[511] (ch) s.hp xx lp.sway, mp.mortar, c.mp, c.mk xx super

3 bars
[543] (ch) s.hp xx SDC, cl.mp, c.hp xx ex.mortar, c.mp, c.mk xx super (421 with hp.PS)

I do s.hp xx sway sometimes, but I didn’t thought about charge dash canceling it, simply because it’s unsafe on block/non counter hit. morta combos are allready listed, that charge canceling gives a new window of possibilities. gonna post a few of those combos soon. adding your charge cancel combos right away.

edit:
added tons of (far ch) s.hp xx CDC combos. also added a few s.hp xx ex sway combos that were suggested earlier in the thread.