Painwheel Teambuilding thread

Parasoul bodyguard does nothing when you are trying to move forward and catch someone. + you would lose out on the incredible power of Napalm Pillar when you do finally make it up close.

not necessarily. you can still stay behind egret and pound out charged/ non charged fireballs., the primary problem with that is peacocks teleport and her homing bombs.

-dime

What do you guys think about teaming her up with Fortune? What would be the best assist and which one should go first?

Anyone running PW/Filia? I wanna run this team just for the theme since there’s not gonna be a >my group of friends scene around beijing but can it work? Or do you think that having a double assist is mandatory at this point? I know Updo for filia but whats good on PW?

“incoming theory fighter response”

um, why do you need to ask that question here? or have you not read these threads at all?
its ok if you havent, just wondering.

anywho to answer your question most painwheel users i think are using her cr.mp assist as it has 4 hits and is a decent lockdown… this would probably fare REALLY well with filia since filia is like little magneto… mags likes his lockdowns so that he can high/low with impunity. the same probably goes for filia.

however theres also the thing about having an assist to help you get in… painwheels cr.mp assist cant do that at all.

me personally, i like pains mp fireball assist as it can be run after like a sonic boom, it has decent blockstun for a very mini lockdown, and can be used from range.

if i were you though, i’d choose pains assist based on the matchup:

can get in, but have a hard time opening them up? get pains cr.mp.

cant get in? use pains mp fireball.

unfortunately you cant have both. as far as double being mandatory… its to early to tell, theres probably more broken things in this game. maybe filia/PW wil be it? lol no one knows at this point. the metagame hasnt even really started yet as nothing super powerful has really been found outside of peacock/double.

-dime

Cool, thanks for that. Yeah I only checked out this thread and didn’t see an exact analogue so…I admit I took the quick and dirty.

Sounds good, never really considered using a normal as an assist but its definitely an interesting view - I’ll give it a go.

While bubble butt might be a better overall assist, I feel pillar is a better fit for PW, both in the way it controls space and that it doesn’t push people a full screen away. Butt just has the hard as shit to deal with factor going on right now.

There’s no video thread yet so I’ll just throw this in here. Working on my 3 character Painwheel team with some casuals against my brother. Trying to set up some solid pressure with her. Kept dropping the s.MP launcher a few times and probably need to work throws in more, but I’ll learn I guess. Still very fresh with the other 2 characters but I love napalm pillar. Hah.

[media=youtube]yMqtVB00ojk[/media]

Wow you play Painwheel SOOO similarly to how I do, kind of crazy haha.

You seem to have a similar problem to me; thinking j.HP is a good jump in. It’s actually not very good air to ground at all, but I keep using it stupidly, the armour is also laughed off by anyone with an invincible or AA assist.

That combo doesn’t need the s.MP to be raw does it? Seems quite difficult when just adding a light before it would make it a LOT easier.

I’m trying to run Peacock/Painwheel. The issue is Painwheel doesn’t seem to have anything to help Peacock not get slaughtered by anyone with half competent rushdown. I tried her HK grab but it doesn’t really work, aside from the fact that it launches them full screen if it ever hits. Any tips?

good stuff, and nice to see someone willing to show there “non optimal” early play. i feel as if your team is nice, but you definitely dont have full control of your assists yet, i didnt see painwheels cr.mp assist used at all… of course i probably missed the 2-3 times you used it… but i think you should be calling that out more… also, as ive said in other places, i like (for your team especially) mp fireball or hp fireball… the reason why is because it becomes obvious in those vids that when parasouls on point that you have no gtfo/AA assist… hp fireball with painwheel can give you more control over people jumping at you instead of having to streetfighter parasoul down and charge a pillar… also, mp fireball would work REALLY well with val, as i said before val can run after the mp fireball like a sonic boom. if it were me i would probably use mp fireball as parasoul could always use more ground coverage besides just her napalm boom.

your para seemed to have some troubles with jumping… i find that to be a weakness of hers as well… i mean jump back HP is nice… but it corners her fast and doesnt really setup anymore damage (its techable if not chained, though it can be hard) i just think some more aerial control technology will be needed with her if you really plan on making her competitive.

painwheel… i didnt like your use of PW’s air H… its only good in air to air situations. i would have liked to see much more flight zoning and much more flight F+mp

flight F+mp is probably painwheels best move and the one thing that really makes her an offensive beast as far as getting in and applying pressure. i really think you should start applying it in your game… its not so great air to air, so some discression is needed if the opponent is trying to jump kick you out of its startup… but its a really good move… if i had to compare it to anything i would compare it to mvc3 sents j.hp frying pan… just basically something that controls alot of space and something that you DO NOT want to get hit by.

i liked your play alot, the bad things i saw can all be attributed to the game being new. just imho, if you are going to use painwheels cr.mp assist… then you should try your best to get it out as much as possible… it will do you better in the long run to get it out as much as possible rather than taking the small gtfo damage of pillar assist.

and finaly i dont really see how cr.mp assist benefits para at all (i guess maybe to blockstun for overheads), which is why i would go with mp fireball.

you are right that beam assists aka fireball assists in this game arent as powerful as they were in marvel… but that is kind of misleading, beam assists in marvel started out very strong and now they arent as strong as they were… the question is why? well its because marvel started to get more and more super jump based meaning that more and more beams started to control less and less important space… however in skullgirls, super jump heights are much lower than in marvel. anywho im not saying to change your assist, just to make sure that you get those lockdowns on the screen if you have them… which you do.

anywho good stuff here as always, i would have liked to see a throw reset where you kept getting your st.mp launcher blocked… but thats small beans of course :slight_smile:

-dime

In my opinion, I find this duo to be pretty weak, assist wise. Painwheels assists don’t give Peacock that strong AA or invincibilty she needs, and Peacocks assists, while somewhat decent, aren’t really versatile enough for me. You’re better off throwing a third in there and go with the 2 points + awesome assist setup; Double with Hornet Bomber would be pretty suitable.

Otherwise, you could try Painwheels Pinion Dash as assist ( :d::d:+K ) Doubt it will be all that useful though.

I really agree with this.

From I can see

j.MP for approach
j.HK for defense
j.HP for air to air
j.lights or sometimes j.MK for instant or double overheads.

j.MP and j.HK in particular are very opressive moves and I have been using them a lot to really assert control over the air.

Funny enough I’m sure her j.MP was probably inspired from Sentinel’s XMen COTA j.MK spinny blade thing or whatever it was. I think they took that away from him in MVC2. I used to play the shit out of COTA so it’s good to see that she has stuff that’s familiar even from the older Sent (who was also pretty gdlk). If she had COTA Sent’s spinny Gief splash that would be gdlk. Except it wouldn’t take up the whole screen like COTA Sent’s did. LOL.

I definitely agree with j.MP probably being her best air to ground tool. Right now I’m in like an experimentation phase cuz I finally got my combo down well enough with one character where I feel like I can try and play people now. I figured since my brother doesn’t have a strong AA assist I would just mess around with stuff and see what works. If they don’t have an AA assist I like the idea of combining hatred guard j.HP with napalm pillar. I’ll mess with it more and see.

I’ll have to figure out why I was dropping the s.MP launcher. I probably just need to add a s.LP in there like Tomo said. I got the combo originally from another guy on the forums and in the notes he just has raw launcher after the f+HKx4.

I was thinking about using a projectile assist, but I’d probably just end up preferring the lockdown and low hit from Painwheel’s c.MP any way. What I’ll probably end up doing actually is since Painwheel seems like she can get hefty ass damage without using an assist and unlike Marvel 3, you can actually lock people down like you should without 2 or 3 specific assists I’ll probably just put Valentine on the projectile assist. None of her normal based assists I really like too much any way and despite me not using it much in that set…I really do like Painwheel’s c.MP assist.

Beam assists have trouble with super jump height stuff in MVC3 but generally the stuff you can do once they are forced to play with you on the ground makes them plenty scary enough. It’s basically like shooting a lightning bolt across the horizontal field as an assist. I guess something that good in a game without super jumps would be a bit stupid though. Playing more of Painwheel on the other hand has me realize how much projectile assists are just ok in this game. Unless you’re throwing out an anti air projectile assist she’s not really going to worry about getting hit.

Skullgirls has Super Jumps. Just they only go to the top of the screen, not the top of 3 screens.

I actually think Parasoul’s tear is more than just OK as an assist as well. I’m considering changing pillar for it if/when I run Double in the back fr a 3 person team.

Well when I say super jump height…I mean the MARVEL super jump height. Like the stratosphere shit where the game has to point an icon to each player’s characters cuz you’re so damn high up. Crazy Marvel. LOL. With Painwheel you can’t even stay up at the apex super jump height when flying. If you super jump then fly the game still lowers you a bit below the apex any way.

Yeah Mike Z was talking about tear. I wouldn’t use it unless I had somebody else on my team with an invincible assist though.

lol, thats EXACTLY how i see it as well, dj and i were having a convo a few days ago and i said the same thing especially about j.hk… its a good move for defense. i also like your use of the word oppressive… its a perfect explanation of j.mp and j.hk… they just cut off so much space that they seem to be… oppressive :slight_smile:

@dj PW can avoid so much crap with her flight mode… i totally agree with that statement, but fireball assists will still be good in this game… just require more thought to use. i like your idea of of switching to vals projectile and keeping PW’s cr.mp… you basically have a team with an assist for every category:

a gtfo, a lockdown, and a projectile. whats not to love?

nice stuff.

-dime

yea thats me :slight_smile:

i do f+HKx4 xx fly j.hk and then just raw launcher. I only drop that online, launcher seems realy fast to me.

the reason why I just do raw launcher is because I want to keep my combos between throw and regular starters the largely same and when I do my throw combo I need my st.lp cr.lp cr.lk and st.lk elsewhere.

this is my BnB
any light attack > cr.mk > st.hp xx fly f+mk > cr.mk > st.hp xx fly df+j.lp > cr.lk > cr.mk > st.hp xx fly df+lk > cr.mp (4 hit) > f+hk hk hk hk xx fly f+j.hk > st.mp > j.mp > j.hp (3 hits) > j.hk > cr.lp > cr.mp > st.hp xx qcf+lp > dash up st.lk > cr.mp > st.hp xx d,d+k xx qcf+pp

Yeah I had a feeling this would be the only real option, just wish I liked another character hah. Was thinking of just hopping on that Captain Coma… er Parasoul assist bandwagon.

thats a really smart combo fulaani, i like how you do the tougher links after j.mk instead of after j.lk or j.lp

thats a very “streetfighter” style bnb as it has smart shit going on in the middle and at the beginning.

whats your throw combo if you dont mind my asking? my starter is throw> fly> UF+lp xx lk (restand) that starter seems to be the most consistent for me. ive found that groundstarters seem more character specific… anyone got anything better that works against the whole cast?

-dime