P4A: An Early Downfall?

So I got back into P4A after a short hiatus thanks to college classes. Learning Yu and Naoto and been having a lot of fun with these two. But, I go online, and the body count is pretty low, even during ‘peak hours’ for Xbox Live. Could just be me, but I have a hard time finding anyone to play against or with. At least at my low level. And if I do find someone, they’re A-S rank.

I won’t say the game is dead, since it clearly has a strong fan base willing to keep it known in the FGC hive-mind, and it’s making regular appearances at fighting game tourneys.

But why d’you think this game fell out of the spotlight so quick? Is it because it’s an anime fighter? Because it’s an Arc System Works game? Because Capcom fighters are just SO prominently marketed and players would rather stick with what they know best? After being thoroughly let down by the netcode in UMvC3 and SFxT, that should be a major selling point right there! It would be for me, since I don’t have a local scene to hang out with.

Since I’ve only really been in the FGC for two years, and don’t have as much experience, or the ability to articulate the how’s and why’s, I thought I’d pose this question and have a fun little discussion.

PS3 online play is way more active

This. Also, for some reason unknown to me, I heard a lot of players went back to CS Extend once BB Crono Phantasma was announced.

^ that and the fact the Guilty Gear finally came out (ps3…lucky 360 users got it early) probably had something to do with it.

That’s really weird that it’s more active than 360. I just use my 360 by default, because PS3 is SO reliant on your own connection, and the short time I had SSF4 on PS3 I never seemed to get a good connection.

But, if it’s stronger there, great! Hate to see this game slowly fade into obscurity for how awesome it is.

I’ve been playing PS3 online 3-4 times a week recently and there’s usually a pretty decent amount of people on

Just got P4A. XBL seems to have about 1-3 player lobbies at any given time (East Coast USA). I’ve yet to see more than 16 people on at one time, and I see the same 7 people all the time. I kinda like it, it’s like a small sub-sect who just plays this game, (especially since 50% are also newbies).

Anime fighers always have more players on PS3. Some Japanese games never get 360 releases, and PS3 is far and away the console of choice throughout Asia. I live in Hong Kong and I can’t think of a single person with a 360. So unless you’re playing SF, PS3 is probably the way to go.

A lot of that probably has to do with brand recognition. A lot of P4A players are fans of the Persona RPGs, which only exist on Sony platforms.

Gonna have to agree with most people here that PS3 has the more active players. I’m a major scrub and I still find other players at my level.

P4A confirmed for EVO, now would be a great time to get people back into this game.

Heylo P4A community,

Figured this would be a decent thread to post this in… I’ve managed to play P4A a few times, maybe a grand total of 15-20 minutes.
I own a PS3 and have been contemplating picking this game up to add to the collection. Would anyone be interested in a showing
a new player the ropes? I’m not new to fighting games at all, it’d just be the mechanics unique to P4A I would need some time with.

Going to be picking it up some time this week, probably this coming Tuesday.
Posted here just so everyone can see that there’s at least ONE potential new player. :slight_smile:

Peace!

Always up for helping out new players here. A lot of mechanics in P4A aren’t exactly unique, if you play a wide array of fighting games, you’ll see a lot of recognizable mechanics.

@Nihil - I’m assuming you’re also on PSN? I’m hoping to finish up this album before I hop into a new game! I may just ask my friend to borrow it so I can play at night after the studio, then pick it up once I found my first main. Add me ahead of time, I play a lil’ of everything in the way of fighters (Dark Souls much? lulz).

Peace!

I’m switching over to ps3 more for p4a and skull girls lately. It’s pretty active but it sucks because I already paid for 360 colors and glasses lol.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Just picked the game up. PS3. Add “rubixgroove” when ever PSN comes back up… /angryfist

Peace

Anyone? C’mon. :smiley:
Not sure if this is a good choice or not (as far as popularity goes…) but I am “maining” Labrys for now. Not Shadow Labrys but OG, lil’ robot homie Labrys. I am hoping she isn’t a hyper-popular character, I tend to like the under dogs.

Sorry, Sony was down for most of the day I was home yesterday and I went out about when it came back up. I’m pretty busy this weekend as well, but I’ll try to get on on Tuesday to help you out.

Labrys isn’t too popular, a decent choice though because her auto-combo is really beginner friendly (works well on ground and anti-air confirms). She can be played pretty simple or complex depending on preferences too, so that’s a nice plus.

You can add me, it’s just AnneIFrank. Labrys is a character I play a lot and love, but she has a serious shortcoming and can get frustrating.

I am all for characters with short-commings. I’m a Chun main through and through… so, I’m part of the choir my broham. :stuck_out_tongue: