Option selects

What are the most useful option selects for honda? If there’s already a location for this info, please point me in the right direction. I can’t seem to find what I want. The stuff I found on youtube didn’t really explain what was happening.

Option Selects

I might be wrong in some cases, and I’m not very good in explaining in detail, but these are one of the OS’s I use that I find useful;

cr.jab. -> headbutt, HHS;
very basic and one of my most used OSes. The idea is using this in footsie range as a punish or poke, buffering cr.lp into headbutt or HHS and as soon as your opponent gets hit by the cr.lp by counter-poking, blocking or walking forward, the OS comes out. Nothing happens if the cr.lp whiffs. (The extra hitstun/blockstun makes it possible and easier to cancel normals into HHS in the first place)

cr.jab (xx HHS). -> Headbutt / Ultra;
I buffer HHS from a meaty jab while holding charge. If the jab whiffs due to your opponent backdashing or doing an invincible move, headbutt will come out. Depending on who your opponent is, you might want to replace a regular headbutt with ex headbutt or Ultra.

cr.lk (xx EX headbutt) -> OS Ultra 1;
Useful OS if you’re willing to burn meter for it. Can COMPLETELY shut down some characters, so it’s worth learning.

Oicho, dash forward, st.lp (xx HHS).
safe OS setup after a landed oicho against a part of the cast(Honda, Sakura, Cody, Bison, Rufus, Balrog, Rose,…) with slow wakeup invincible reversals(more than 7 frames).
SSF4AE 2012 Honda After Oicho OS Setup Part 1 - Blocking

cr.jab (xx HHS) -> normal throw / Oicho;
Useful against characters that have no throw invincibility on their reversals (think of Viper, Rose, Abel, …). Here’s a video to see it in action against Abel; Honda HHS option Select throw VS Abel

Option Selects in action on specific characters [Videos]

[details=Spoiler]Cody;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_SUUzZ-Uwo
Sakura;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ53_rOib8
Balrog;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdDqaRdv0U
Deejay;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKp2K7zxdg
Rufus;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETo9PSBKOvY
Zangief;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKQysy_9RY

• HHS - OS EX Headbut
  • c.lp - OS EX Headbutt
  • cr.lk xx EX headbutt - OS Ultra 1.
    [/details]

Damn. Thanks a lot man! I’m gonna start trying these out. I’ve been playing Honda forever and I just now decided to learn OS and Safejump setups Q_Q

No problem, best of luck!

I got slightly annoyed how Bison could always get away with ex teleport, so I tried to make an OS against that.
Instead of my original plan, the result was an OS that can beat teleport for **BOTH **sides and able to beat non-reversal ex psycho crusher.

Post oicho

cl.st. Forward, cr. Jab xx HHS (, Ex Headbutt OS)

If you have no meter to spare, this works good too;

cl.st. Forward, cr. Jab xx HHS.
If cr.jab connects, HHS comes out, if not you’re safe from any reversal Bison throws out

Holy shit! That’s some good tech. Why don’t we have a honda option select thread? O_o

Let’s just make this thread the honda option select thread.

OS vs Vega:

First OS covers Vega that backdashes (and flips) out of your early jumpins (for example, early j.MP).
The 2nd OS covers Vega backdashing and flipping after your Oicho.
I thought EX hb would always win if I OSed it, but apparently Vega is always able to block the headbutt.
Because of this, I hit the lab and found this solution to my problems: ~ Enjoy ~

Option Select 1:

• Jump, cl.MP (xx OS Fierce HHS, st.HK)

Option Select 2 (Post Oicho):

• front dash, cl.HP (, OS Fierce HHS)

Beats everything except Ultra 2

i need to figure out how to get these into my game i was in a few situations last night where i could have used them now that i see what to look for. just a matter of doing some training mode. you figure out any uses for proximity guard OS yet? im thinking you could whiff punish with headbutts in many cases

Maybe ex headbutt from midscreen, I can imagine the other headbutts being too slow to catch medium or heavy attacks.

yo what about using state change os U1 to go through fireballs? i normally buffer my u1 input and then press 3p if i see the fireball motion… this would probably help improve reaction time?

Fireball has to be pretty close for the pbos to kick in…
So I’m not too sure if it will work.

hmmm i know sometimes when you are far enough back he will continue to walk backwards when the fireball is out but i thought you had to be over 3/4 screen away and then as the fireball gets closer (about 1/2 screen) he starts blocking. I will try to get it working tonight i am kind of shitty at these sort of things though so don’t expect much :stuck_out_tongue: lol but I am told it will work its just a matter of determining what range we need to be at and if its worthwhile or not.

on an unrelated note i stumbled onto an option select last night. It’s not as nice as the ones you have posted though. you input oicho but press lp+lk, i do this because sometimes i get thrown when going for a oicho since oicho is 5 frame startup you can actually be thrown out of it if you both input at the same time.

maybe with your cr.jab (xx HHS) -> normal throw / Oicho; i was thinking you could do lp+lk+hp and then it would OS EX oicho or tech if he decides to throw you because you are left at 0f advantage after a cr lp so if he decides to throw you he would actualyl beat it and this would tech it for no extra risk

That’s actually very interesting!
I will definitely make use of this and try it out, thanks man!

4 buttons can beat OS

that tech is actually fairly old. i should probably revisit it though and add it to my matchup notes for the characters it works well against.

This tech is easy. Just use the middle finger to press medium punch and medium kick

I am really starting to use cr LP HHS - headbutt OS. it’s a little hard to get the timing but so useful against teleports + backdashes. It feels really rewarding to hit. typically my pressure is limited to tick oicho, up close ex headbutt, or just cr lp hands. people hardly ever reversal the meaty hands, especially if you are far away, they always seem to backdash it, so its a great way to scare them into using a reversal. some characters cant even do shit against it like DJ and sakura.

Just thought of another new OS:

not sure if you are aware of this but you can be thrown out of the starting frames of all headbutts. OS LK with EX or LP headbutt and you should get a free tech.