Official Rack-N-Cue @SFSU Thread

How did the games feel?

CvS2 was horrible @ the tournamdent. Both sides had auto jump, and the some fierces wouldn’t register. That tournament was a nightmare for a-groove.

Possible July tourney?

Ok. Here’s the score.

I’m going to see if I can get another tourney under way in July. Here’s the thing, trying to avoid some of the quirks of last tournament, I plan to impliment the following changes:

1)I will be doing it on a friday. I would appreciate feedback on which friday would be best (11th, 18th or 25th)

1. I will only be doing games that I can get volunteers to commit to. (most of the volunteers were too busy competing in DDR to help w/ other tourneys)

2. If I get a nod to do either DDR, Rush or Initial D, I want those who plan to volunteer to have rules, qualifying, songs…etc. set-up.

Basically, It took along time to get started because it was just me who had to set-up brackets, random draw…etc, not to mention run the pool tables at the same time. If I have dedicated volunteers per game, then the players will be getting the attention they deserve which means starting on time maintaining the brackets and getting people to their matches.

To sum up,

Ingredients for July tourney:

Which games want to be played (no more than 5).

Dedicated volunteers for that game.

Rules and guidelines for tourney regarding that game.

and finally which date would work out for the majority (July 11th 18th or 25th)

Any questions conatct @ ldosf@hotmail.com. I’m also on MSN messenger and AIM (under poolbossq)

PM Me if you guys have a tourney in August because I am going to fly down and participate in MvC2.

Thanks.

-Kai

Well it seems that I’ve only got people to volunteer for DDR & possibly SC2 (nobody volunteered to do SC2 as of yet) so for right now, that’s all there is. Doesn’t sound like that big of a crowd. I think however, by the time I get more support for the other games, the 11th will have passed by. I want to have a good turnout and for that would mean giving people plenty of heads up time for our tourney. That being said, I COULD postpone the next tourney till August, which would give many of us enough time to get the word out and perhaps if anyone else would like to get another game started, that could only help.

Puzzle fighter?

When is the next tournament and is puzzle fighter a part of it?

8.22.03 Tourney

Well, now that you mention it, I guess it is time for another tourney.

Where: Rack-N-Cue Games Room

When: Friday, Aug.22 2003

Signups: from 9-12 noon. Tourney for each game starts @1, unless specified

How Much: $5 per event

What’s being played: Soul Calibur 2, DDR perfect attack, Initial D ver.1, Puzzle fighter

Update via calibemani.com.

7/14 EDIT: Revamped the whole post to seperate games.

7/14 EDIT: Added Puzzle Fighter, updated staff list. -Xero

7/14 EDIT: Added Initial D tournament rules

WHEN?
August 22, 2003

Dance Dance Revolution Extreme Perfect Attack Tournament
FORMAT: Perfect Attack
ENTRY FEE: $5

Perfect Attack Gerneral Rules:
-Speed mods may be chosen by the player.
-No other mods will or may be used.
-In the event of a tie in Perfects, the number of Greats will be used to determine a winner. If those are also tied, it will go down the line with Goods, Boos, Misses, and O.K.s. If both players tie in all those, a tie-breaker song chosen by roulette will be used to determine a winner.
-If a person fails a song (gets a grade of an E), they will automatically be given 0 perfects on the song.
-All songs will be played on Heavy difficulty unless otherwise stated.

Qualifying Round:
-Players will be called up one-by-one at random and chose one song from the qualifying list which will not be revealed until the day of the tournament.
-The seedings will be determined by the % of Perfects out of the song’s total number of steps.
-Freeze arrows are not counted towards the total number of steps.
-If two or more players tie in the % of Perfects, the player whose song has more total steps will qualify ahead of them.
-In the event that two players tie in the % of perfects with the same song, a one-song playoff will be held after qualifying, with a song chosen at random or by organizer’s choice.
-The top 8 qualifiers will advance to the Semi-Finals

+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+
EMERGENCY SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND!!!
-In the event of a show of at least 16 players, a second qualifying round will be held in which the top 16 from the first qualifying round will advance to.
-Players will go up in pairs and play a set of two songs.
-The top 8 will advance to the semi-finals.
-DISREGARD THIS SECTION IF THERE ARE LESS THAN 16 PARTICIPANTS!!!
+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+

SEMI-FINALS
-The semi-final rounds will be played using a double-elimination bracket, with the top seed facing the lowest seed. (i.e. 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc)
-If in the event that there are not enough people to fill the brackets, the highest seeds will be given “byes.”
-Lower seed gets the choice in side.
-Each pair will play two songs; For each song, a card with 3 songs will be given to the players, with each player eliminating a song, with the top seed given first choice.
-The total number of perfects at the end of the two songs will determine who will advance.

FINAL ROUND
-The final round will consist of a set list of songs in which the final two will play. The first person to lead the other by more than 50 perfects will be the winner. If the round goes more than 5 songs, a random modifier will be added, and then another for every 5 songs after that.

PRIZES
-The 1st - 3rd place prizes will go as followed:
1st: 60% of pot
2nd: 25% of pot
3rd: 15% of pot

=============================

Initial D Bracketed Tournament Rules

General Information
-This tournament was created specifically for Rack-N-Cue’s Tournament Ver.2 held at Rack-N-Cue at San Francisco State University (SFSU) in San Francisco, California.
-Tournament rules were created for use with Initial D Arcade Stage (Version 1).

Date & Time
-Friday, August 22, 2003
-Start time 12PM

Pricing
-$5 entry fee.

Tournament Rules - Overview
-The tournament will be a single elimination, bracketed tournament based on a 16-player bracket (in the case that there will be more than 16 entrants, we will use a 32-person bracket).
-To be fair and to open equal oppertunities for ALL Initial D players, all cars will be racing stock, and no custom Initial D cards may be used. Anyone caught using cards will be immediately disqualified.
-Each player must use the SAME car throughout the entire tournament to be fair.
-To determine the brackets, each player will be given a number and the numbers will be drawn at random to see where a certain player is placed.
-In the event that there are not enough participants to fit the brackets, random players will be given “byes”.

For the final round(s), in the event that:

• A. There are three finalists: We will commence a round-robin style round in which each player must race the other two until all three players have raced one another. The player with the most number of wins is 1st place while the player with the second most number of wins is 2nd place. The third player is automatically declared 3rd place.
  • B. There are two finalists: The two finalists will race in a 2-of-3 face off on a course chosen specifically by the gameplay staff, going in both directions. The winner is declared 1st place while the loser will be 2nd place. The losers of the semi-final round will also race 2-of-3 on a chosen course in both directions; the winner is declared 3rd place.

Stage Selection
-The stages will be randomly chosen for each round (excluding Myogi) by the gameplay staff and will not be revealed until each race. This will help create a fair tournament for players of all skill levels.
-If applicable, Counter-Clockwise/Clockwise and Uphill/Downhill will also be chosen at random by the staff.
-All races will be on Day (excluding Happogahara) unless both players agree to race on Night.

Prizes

• 1st place: 60% of the pot.
  • In a full 16-person tournament, maximum prize value is $48.
  • 2nd place: 25% of the pot.
  • In a full 16-person tournament, maximum prize value is $20.
  • 3rd place: 15% of the pot.
  • In a full 16-person tournament, maximum prize value is $12.

FAQs

1. Will RX-7s and Truenos be outlawed?
  • A: No, they will not. In order to be fair to all players, no cars be outlawed since they will be racing at a stock level.
  1. Why can’t we use our own cars?!
  • A: The difference between stock and pumped-up cars in Version 1 is way too large in order for it to be fair to everyone, especially those whose cards are Version 2 cards and can’t be used on Version 1.
  1. Will Boost be used?
  • A: If possible, we will not have Boost on for any races as it gives advantages.
  1. Why not have races on Myogi?
  • A: Myogi is not a course in which can determine skill between players. It’s more of a course to show who is using a more powerful car, therefore no races will be held on Myogi.

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Entry Fee: $5

Rules:

• Random Seeding
  • Double elimination
  • Race to 3 wins, 4 for Semi-Finals, 5 for Finals
  • Secret characters (Dan, Akuma, Devilot) are okay to use as long as both players agree
  • Machine will be set to default difficulty
  • Loser may opt to switch sides
  • 60/25/15 pot split**

Tournament Staff

Arcade Staff:

• Quetzal (poolboss) - Rack-N-Cue Manager

Orgnization:

• Will Chang (Syn Zero) - Tournament Organizer (Initial D)
  • Joey Yee (Uncle Fuz) - Tournament Organizer (DDR)
  • Jimbo (Xero) - Tournament Organizer (Puzzle Fighter)

Staff:

• Will Chang (Syn Zero) - Gameplay Staff (Initial D)
  • Jimbo (Xero) - Gameplay Staff (Puzzle Fighter)
  • Joey Yee (Uncle Fuz) - Gameplay Staff (DDR), Public Relations
  • (Need volunteers!)

Legality

By registering and entering this tournament, you agree to all the rules that have been posted above. Any rules that are changed by a staff member before the actual tournament will be announced and must be acknowledged by all participants.

our vendor looked @ CVS2 yesterday. Should be ok now.

alright school is starting back up soon so i hope there’s some new marvel players this semester or the current sfsu people have improved. my schedule is kinda lame so i can only play mornings on tues/thurs.

During our tournament, I discovered a mis-communication problem between players and myself over what is considered diagonal. Such an occurace happened with our SC2 machine. Lines were obviously crossed as to what was actually considered “diagional”. In short, with my new found knowledge and assistance from a SFSU regular CVS2 player, I’m pretty sure we can nail down this joystick problem that has been causing players soo much grief since we got the machine.

BTW- CVS2 is currently down and will be up and running shortly.

Interesting tournament?

How was the overall turnout. There seemed to be a lot of people around DDR and Initial D but I couldn’t be sure what percentage were just spectators. I was disappointed by the turnout for puzzle fighters (only 3 peeps including myself). On the other hand, I probably would have lost if anyone else entered. Overall a nice tourney.
It was funny finding out that some of the difficulty with diagonals on SC2 may be due to a difference between what the machines registers as diagonal and what most players consider diagonal.

whoops

correction: How was the tournament?

CVS2 OK!!

As promised. With the help of a CVS2 regular, my vendor and I have been successful in tweaking our joysticks towards your preferred taste. Each joystick has been adjusted and properly tested by an ACTUAL player. If you’re in San Francisco and like CVS2 for a quarter, swing by and give us a try. Thanks to those who were willing to put up with this machine and if it’s STILL not up to par, we’ll keep trying till we get it right.

-da poolboss

p.s. yes, this means that CVS2 is up and running again.

me and my other three buddies was going to enter the puzzle fighter tournament but we all had classes that day =c/

Schools back

Now that schools back I hope there will be a crap load of cvs2 players. Especialy since cvs2 is fixed. I’ll probably be there everyday now. I’ll even show up a little for morphiend on tuedays and thursays for some marvel action.

-peace.

PS: Thank you poolboss for taking care of the issue with the joysticks. I’ll be sure to keep you posted with there condition through the semester. Also an SFSU team would be awesome for university play.

So it’s back to school and to my surprised there were people playing CVS2! That either means three things.

A). Stupid freshmen
B). Joystick got fixed
C). 25c per play

Nice work Poolboss, also you think we’ll ever get SNK vs Capcom: Chaos?

screw cvs2 where’s everyone who used to play mvc2 ie nick, julio, random blackheart guy i played at the end of last semester.

about svc chaos: I’m not sure. for about every 1 person who likes it, there’s one person who hates it. This kept RTA from getting it. So that says alot seeing as how much RTA is such a baller in this town.

I just moved to park merced (which is like 2 mins from SFSU) So I guess I’ll be making some regular trips to the arcade.

Anyways, you guys don’t want SvC, that game is pure ass.

Poolboss: I collect arcade boards (mainly SF), if you are interested in borrowing one or some I’m more than happy to loan/rent it out to the arcade.

welcome mouko, what games do you play?