Official Hit Box SSFIV Thread

Welcome to Hit Box headquarters for SSFIV:AE!

The Hit Box community has grown significantly in the last year or so, and it’s about time we have our own Street Fighter hub. Feel free to share tips and techniques, post videos, ask questions, get involved, and identify yourself as a Hit Box player in SSFIV! Even if you’re brand new to Hit Box, feel free to jump in on the conversation with any questions.

Please visit our tech talk thread for any general or technical support questions. This thread is all about Street Fighter!

NEW: Updated tutorials for the original How to Hit Box lessons and Hit Box Interactive learning tool to help you get started with the basics!

[media=youtube]hHDSS9l0PeE[/media]

Hadoken - Get started with Quarter Circles and QCF x2
Shoryuken - The Dragon Punch Motion and its shortcuts in SSFIV:AE
Sonic Boom - Charge Characters Part 1
Flash Kick - Charge Characters Part 2

Official Hit Box Content

How to Hit Box SSFIV Tutorial Index

[details=Spoiler]Basic Motions:
Quarter Circle
Dragon Punch
Charge Motions 1 - Sonic Boom
Charge Motions 2 - Flash Kick
Half Circle
360 Motoin
720 Motion

Technique:
SOCD FADC
Walking Ultra Shortcut
Tiger Knee
Slides
Piano
Introduction to the Standing 720
Cardinal 360’s
Standing 720[/details]

Glossary of Common Terms and Techniques

[details=Spoiler]2nd Position - Moving your Right Index Finger over to the F directional button. Both hands are used for directional inputs.

Buffering - Waiting to finish a motion. Inputting a special move but delaying your attack until later in your “buffer window” of about ⅓ of a second.

Cardinal - Up / Down / Left / Right directional buttons. Referred to when skipping diagonals in moves.

Double Tap - Hitting the same button twice quickly. Traditionally used in combo links, Hit Box adopts this technique for the directional buttons.

DPM - “Dragon Punch Motion” or Shoryuken.

Frames - SSFIV:AE runs at 60 Frames per Second (FPS). Frames are the benchmark time metric in video games. “Losing frames” and “3-frame motion” refers to how fast a motion is performed.

Light Position - Moving your Right Index Finger over to the Light Punch button to aid in piano technique. Using both hands on the attack buttons.

Piano - Rapidly pressing one input after another without pressing two simultaneous buttons together. Pianoing is traditionally used for inputting moves like Chun’s lightning legs or Honda’s hundred hands, but Hit Box adopts this technique for pianoing directional inputs as well.

Plink - Plinking is hitting a button the frame after another button is pressed. Traditionally known as “Priority Linking” for helping combo execution. Hit Box adopts this term for inputting motions at optimal speed.

RIF - “Right Index Finger.” Commonly referred to with 2nd Position.

Slide - Sliding your fingers across the buttons. Slide is primarily used on Hit Box for an easy way to input Half Circles and 360’s/720’s.

SOCD - “Simultaneous Opposing Cardinal Directions.” Holding ‘Left + Right’ or ‘Down +Up’ at the same time. Left + Right = Neutral. Down + Up = Up. Many techniques stem from SOCD use.

Tiger Knee - Buffering a move into a jump, and finishing the motion the instant your character is airborne. Or ,loosely, inputting a special move directly after you jump.[/details]

SSFIV:AE Shortcut Guide

[details=Spoiler]Dragon Punch
636 - Walking Dragon Punch - F, DF, F + :atk:
Hold Forward and tap Down. As soon as you release the Down button press :atk:

• Easiest and fastest DP.
  • You can also rapidly tap Down to have a DP already buffered and impose your will!
  • This shortcut is fantastic for combos. F + Jab, DF, F +:atk:

323 - Crouching Dragon Punch - DF, D, DF + :atk:
Hold DF and quickly release the F button and repress it.

• You remain crouching through the entire motion to keep your hitbox the lowest possible.
  • The best anti air motion.
  • Easiest from a blocking position.
  • Great for comboing off of lows: DF + Short, D, DF +:atk:

Slide Half Circles
Cardinal HCB - F, D, B + :atk:
Take your index finger on Forward and slide to the left. Only the cardinal directions matter, and you can save yourself some serious frames here!

Cardinal HCF - B, D, F + :atk:
Take your MIDDLE finger and slide from Back to Forward
You can slide with your ring finger, but I find it easier to shift my middle finger over for a more controlled slide.

Slide Cardinal Double Half Circle - F, D, B, F, D, B + :atk:
Move your ring finger over to Forward and slide to the left. Chase after with another slide with your Index finger for the second slide. It all comes out as one smooth motion.

• Stretch your fingers to create as much distance between the two slides as you can.
  • Raise your middle finger to avoid pressing extra buttons.
  • Cradle the motion with your wrist to make the motion easier.
  • This requires practice, but is very rewarding for characters with this motion.
  • P2 Side requires a more exaggerated cradle wrist motion to avoid hitting the attack buttons.

**SOCD Walking FADC **[SIZE=4]- Hold Forward, tap Back + Focus Attack[/SIZE]
While you’re holding Forward, simply tap focus attack + Back at the same time.

• This uses SOCD’s to make your FADC much faster.
  • You can blow through meaties and fireballs in one press for optimal offense.
  • Never stop the forward pressure!

QCF x2 Ultra Shortcut From Neutral[SIZE=4] - D, DF, D, F +:atk::atk::atk:[/SIZE]

Input this shortcut normally, or use SOCD’s to get the fastest “quick draw” ultra possible; achieving a true 4-frame input speed.

• Plink D-DF-BDF and release to F+:atk::atk::atk:
  • Position your fingers like a ladder in different heights so when you press your hand down, you will naturally plink D->DF->BDF in the correct order.

Walking Ultra Shortcut - Hold Forward and tap DB twice, :atk::atk::atk:
Hold the Forward button and simply tap DB, DB

• This uses SOCD Down by holding Back + Down + Forward to = Down. (L+R=Neutral)
  • This allows you to react and punish lots of specials and whiffs.
  • It makes your FADC into Ultra combos much easier since you don’t have to let go of Forward the entire combo.

360’s
Slide 360 - F, D, B, U + :atk:
Slide your index finger from Forward to Back and press Up + :atk: together with your right hand.

• Slide as fast as you can for the fastest 360 possible.
  • Skip all the diagonals to save frames.
  • P2 side is the exact same motion: Slide Forward to Back. Not side dependant.

Cardinal 360’s
Any mixture of the cardinal directions to perform a 360 (270) degree motion. These methods are not as fast as sliding, but can be incorporated as buffer patterns into your footsies for a smarter, faster SPD.
“Waddle” 360 - :F, B, D, U + :atk: / B, F, D, U +:atk:
B, F and SOCD plink D to U +:atk:

• Buffer in the F and Back, and plink D to U + :atk: to finish in two frames.
    “Corkscrew” 360 - :D, DB, B, F, UF + :atk:
    Roll a quarter circle back, and plink F to UF + :atk: when you’re ready to finish.
  • Great for walking 360’s
    “Standing 360” - U, F, D, B + :atk:
    Only used for finishing walking Standing 720’s and practicing Standing 720’s.
  • Note: One of the hardest things in Street Fighter. Get ready to practice.
  • Easiest to tap U and slide F to B + :atk:.
  • Try to end with B + :atk: perfectly, because you only have a few frames to complete the motion before your pre-jump frames run out.
  • Buffer a cardinal 360 :)B, D, F / D, DB, B, F etc.), walk forward shortly, and finish with a Standing 360 + PPP for a walking Standing 720. See Standing 720 for more detail.

720’s
Slide 720 - F, D, B, U, B, D, F + :atk::atk::atk:
Take your index finger and slide F to B, tap U, and slide B to F with the same index finger. One smooth motion.

• Preferred method.

Piano 720 - B, D, F, U, B, D, F + PPP
2nd Position Recommended: Move your Right Index Finger (RIF) over to F and your Left Index Finger over to D for the fastest and cleanest piano.

Standing 720
Same notation, only performed at optimal speed.

• Extremely difficult. Get ready to practice.
  • Slide method preferred.
  • 7 Pre-jump frames for Zangief and T.Hawk to complete the Standing 360 portion of the move.
  • Skipping the diagonals makes this viable for Hit Box in tournament.
  • Try to end the 720 perfectly as a just frame on F + PPP, otherwise you are wasting frames and making life much harder on yourself.
  • Practice makes perfect. :P[/details]

-reserved-

-reserved-

Forgot the F, FDB, DF uppercut via SOCD cleaning.

I decided to leave all SOCDs out for now since I’ll have incoming tutorials to update it. Plus, the 636 DPM is all you need for those walking uppercuts in SSFIV.
Coming up soon is FADC shortcuts and tips, as well as walking ultras and defensive ultras using SOCDs!

I see your point. Me personally, I’d definitely use the 636 too, but I also believe that it’s best not to overuse use game exclusive shortcuts [except maybe to be a dick, maybe in emergencies, and or prove a point]. If you play multiple versions of street fighter and other games that don’t have leniency and it’s too much of a habit, you’ll fuck up and die when they punish you, then everyone else watching you will laugh till they cry.

[media=youtube]9OZtGdtgXgo[/media]
New SOCD FADC tutorial! All you have to do is hold :f: and tap :b: + MP MK

Next up is QCFx2 Ultra shortcuts and FADC into them!

Hey, I’m considering getting a Hitbox(even though it costs a ton for shipping over here and for customs as well… sigh) and I’ve been enjoying the more advanced SF4 videos like the FADC one posted above.

Could you please consider making a video on SJC Ultraing with Ibuki? That’s one of the instant benefits I can think of but I really would like to see how it works in practice. Seeing as you apparently are planning on making a video on QCFx2 ultras next, it should even be a nice addition! At least s.MK into SJC ultra would be great.

Don’t mind me, I’m just imagining the look on some online player’s face when my Megaman in MvC2 is wave-dashing all over the place. While charging a red buster of course.

[Hold hp + the direction I want to go, and alternate back, nothing, and down for the win].

Working on getting Fei Long’s Chicken Wing ( :b::db::d::df::f::uf: + K) down consistently, any help here?

EDIT: Got it! Basically realized it was just a slide half circle, using my right thumb for up and right index for the kick button of choice. Pretty much got it 100% consistent now.

Do the command as usual. Find out where you’re screwing up, or which commands you’re skipping. If you’re skipping the down cardinal, start going B, DB, DBF, DF, F, in one smooth motion, and when you feel you only have F down, use your thumb to hit up and press the button to get the UF. Boom! Done!

[media=youtube]f4wjymikbvQ[/media]

You know, I’m curious if this SOCD Ultra shortcut will make jump cancels easier. I didn’t’ think anyone was posting in this thread so I didn’t get a chance to see if it’s an easier motion. What are the best SJC normals into ultra? (It’s been a while with Ibuki)

EDIT: The shortcut does not work for buffering jump cancels. :mk::d::f::uf::d::f:+KKK doesn’t work. But it’s still very manageable to do it with fast QCF’s: :mk::d::df::f::uf::d::df::f:+KKK
I can get it off the MK fairly consistently and off Fierce every time.

I get a lot of shit at my locals for playing on a hitbox with people often quoting standing 720’s as an example of how inputs are easier on it. What arguments do you guys use to defend your use of an unorthodox controller?

Also, I don’t use an official hitbox (I made my own instead) but I’m (probably?) the most prominent san diego hitbox player :slight_smile: showing up in tournaments and such. I’ll likely be at the Arcade Relief event this saturday, I’ll see if I can’t hold up my box for the stream if I even get that far.

“I like buttons” worked for me.

I’m assuming yours has internal SOCD handling mechanisms. If you don’t have them, you’re cheating. I’m also assuming that Left + Right = Neutral. If it’s LCE, substitute last entered in. I don’t know how effective this would be, but I’d carry a copy of MvC3 Vanilla, an official controller, and tell the organizers how my Hitbox works. Touching each button, I’d say exactly this…

Movement is "Left [taps left], Down [taps down], Right [Taps right], Up [taps up], Neutral [presses both left and right], Up [taps both down and up at exactly the same time], All else is standard. You want to do a controller test with a game that proves it? [while smiling of course].

If you do this, you have hard data in this situation that proves your Hitbox isn’t a cheat box. Since you have the tournament organizers on your side, when anyone bitches, they don’t have any moral ground to stand on [like they and their scrub mentality ever did…].

If they’re complaining about anything being easier to do, tell them…
1]Even if that statement was accurate, aren’t controllers meant to make game-play as easy as possible without playing the game for you? And if the controller isn’t, isn’t it failing at its mission?

I wouldn’t worry too much if yours isn’t SOCD cleaned. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Thanks, grandpa. Let’s see you play on this.” while you proceed to kick their ass.
This is a good topic though. I know there’s a lot of this cheat box comments coming from tournament players who know nothing about buttons. Generally I’m a smart ass and people eventually come around, but I would like to see this stigma go away altogether. Maybe we can get some sort of FAQ for this?
Don’t you dare let those people discourage you though.

It will just take some time then the community will accept it. People have a hard time grasping the concept of new things in any community. Over time once people start seeing the Hitbox more and more, people will just accept that it’s another legitimate control platform and stop questioning it, not sure if there is a short term answer other than to ignore them.

LOL forgot to add that part. Actually, it was in it and accidentally edited out.

Actually, I’d tell him to attempt 10 standing or walking 720s in a row and see if he gets it. He won’t. Brian, based on what you’ve said, it took you a month to get this done.

BTW, I actually would worry about if mine’s SOCD cleaned. All that really cool 1-2 frame dashing, FADC stuff, and my SOCD upper would be gone. I’m greedy. I won’t do without.

One thing I forgot to mention that I edited into the earlier post… If you do what I tell you to to the organizers, they’ll most likely accept that the device is just a slightly better input device, and not a tool for cheating. The other competitors and members of the community will have to fall in line.

Coupling what you see in this video

With This video
[media=youtube]jxxITVGoY94[/media]
00:54 Meters are built or expended before the move comes out.

Is pretty rude.

I have the SOCD cleaner in my box (thanks gdlk) but how would it be cheating if I didn’t? I played on keyboard for months before I got a hitbox and holding left+right = forward, not block. You can do the same thing with a pad (left on dpad right on stick). I spent the same countless hours learning my combos then as I do now, how am I cheating when I’m using a keyboard?

When you think about it pad and keyboard are the defaults now, with keyboard being especially relevant, you have to go out of your way to get a stick. If PC is a huge chunk of the player base who are you to tell me my controller is cheating.

^^ how my argument usually goes.