Now you can become one of us. The Jill Valentine Team Building Thread

This post lists most effective teammates assists and DHC’s for Jill, for current, early team suggestions see post #2. If you have something to add on an already suggested team, please do so.

Most effective teams

Teams

Spoiler

Here is the list of teams with Jill used by pro players. For the rest of team suggestions see post #2.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3:

Team used by Clockwork:
Jill-B / Strider-V / Ammy-B

Marvel vs. Capcom 3:

Teams used by FlashMetroid:
Jill-B / Trish-B / Iron Man-A
Jill-B / Viewtiful Joe-A / Iron Man-A

Team used by Clockwork:
Jill-B / Amaterasu-B / Doom-A

Most effective teammates

Teammates

Spoiler

Useful assist characters

Assists

Spoiler

Projectile assists:

Iron Man - A
Chris - B
Ammy - B
Doom - A, B and V
Sentinel - A
Storm - A

Generally any projectile assist works great with Jill, but beam assists that lock down opponent for a longer time work the best.

Low assists:

Wesker - B
She-Hulk - A
X-23 - B
Deadpool - B

Wesker’s Low Shot is widely regarderd as the best low hitting assist, as it also doulbes as an OTG/Relaunch asisst, and it is faster than She-Hulk’s and X-23’s assists. However, both She Hulk and Deadpool have range advantage over Low Shot, and are slightly better for unblockable setups with Jill’s :f:+:h: and upward High Speed Dash from her Feral Crouch.

OTG/Relaunch Assists:

Wesker - B
She-Hulk - A
Chris - A
Viewtiful Joe - V
Deadpool - B
X-23 - B

Wesker’s assist is generally the best because of its speed, so you don’t need to delay j.:s: at the end of an air combo too much, however She-Hulk’s assist is preferred over Wesker’s assist as a follow up to a forward air grab as the opponent will be too far to connect Wesker’s assist (Wesker’s assist works after air back throw, though). Chris’s and Viewtiful Joe’s assist’s are unique because these are not OTG assists at all, however, they allow a relaunch after Jill’s Fallen Prey [:dp:+:l:] move and Jill’s air grab into Fallen Prey. This generally allows the longest combos before doing the relaunch, because speed doesn’t matter that much for these assists. X-23 assist isn’t fast enough and has less range than She-Hulk’s assist, so it is not the best choice. Deadpool’s assist is very fast, however it lacks range and it wastes ground bounce for Jill. So if you are using it after an air throw (works near the corner), make necessary changes to the combo follow up. Dante’s Crystal is hard to use because of it’s slow startup so it is not recommended.

Best characters for DHCs

DHC

Spoiler

Jill is one of 8 lucky characters to possess a cinematic level 1 hyper combo. Raven Spike allows to perform devastating DHC damage/hitstun reset trick.

DHC Jill’s Raven Spike into one of the following hyper combos to perform the trick:

Amaterasu: Veil of Mist [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Arthur: Golden Armor [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Dante: Devil Trigger [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Deadpool: WHIFFED Cuttin’ Time [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Felicia: Kitty Helper [:dp:+:atk::atk:]
Hsien-Ko: Rimoukon [:dp:+:atk::atk:) and Chireitou [:qcf:+:atk::atk:]
Morrigan: Astral Vision [:d::d:+:atk::atk:]
Phoenix: Healing Field [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Sentinel: Hyper Sentinel Force [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
She-Hulk: Road Rage [:hcb:+:atk::atk: - Level 3]
Taskmaster: Aegis Counter [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Thor: Mighty Punish [:hcb:+:atk::atk:]
Trish: Round Harvest [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Tron: Servebot Surprise [:dp:+:atk::atk:] (DHC after 6th hit, DHC-ing after 7th requires tricky timing)
V.Joe: Viewtiful God Hand [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]
Wesker: Rhino Charge [:qcb:+:atk::atk:] (can either cr.M… after immediately DHC-ing the last Raven Spike hit, or in case of failing the timing, self OTG with df+H, c.M… )
Wolverine: Berserker Charge [:d::d:+:atk::atk:]
X-23: Silent Kill [:qcb:+:atk::atk: - Level 3]
Zero: Sougenmu [:qcb:+:atk::atk:]

For more info about the DHC trick see: http://shoryuken.com/content/dhc-trick-01-full-damage-hit-stun-scaling-reset-3813/
and this thread: http://shoryuken.com/f340/dhc-trick-damage-hit-stun-scaling-reset-267849/

Machine Gun Spray is also a good hyper to DHC. It doesn’t allow the DHC reset trick, however, it works with most hypers as it causes soft knockdown state. Use it if you don’t have a character who has a hyper allowing the DHC reset trick on your team. Can DHC out of it well, after connecting it as an OTG follow-up to a forward/back/air throw at midscreen against normal-sized characters (still testing this).

Team suggestions

Teams

Spoiler

Team suggestion by ClydeClash:

Jill - ? or ? /Ammy - ?/Tron - ?

I personally like how her Gun Spray Hyper DHC’s well into Ammy’s Okami Shuffle, and if you get her Kick Hyper in the corner JUST right, possibly right into Ammy’s L3. Still working out some kinks. Ammy’s assist is good for helping Jill get in, and Tron’s is good for mixups. Also, I noticed how I can do Jill’s Beta assist and go right into Lunchtime with Tron due to the wallbounce.

Addendum by scythe master:

There’s no real point to DHCing Raven->Ammy lv.3, you can just do the mist super and get just as much if not more damage due to the DHC trick…only problem is it’s kinda difficult to actually get the timing. Fortunately if Ammy’s in reflector you can wait for 6 hits of spike, DHC into mist, stance switch to sword and immediately do :qcf:+:l: 4-5 times into…whatever you want.

That said, Jill/Ammy is an absolutely sick combination. Ammy has a great assist (for ANY character really more so for teleporters) and DHC’s pretty amazingly with Jill, along with being a great character in general.

Team suggestion by ihateM.O.D.O.K.:

Cap - ?/Jill - ?/Task - ?

Everything in this team DHCs. In fact, Raven spike is one of the only hypers I know of that DHCs midscreen off hyper charging star… Shield slash assist lets Jill stick a couple extra ground normals into her combo before she launches, Task assist helps both close, although it’s not the best. Strongly considering swapping task assist for Doom, IM or Sent, though all three lose DHC power.

As for Jill’s assists, still waffling between her overhead assist and the wallbounce assist, the former obviously makes combos a lot easier, though the latter makes those combos extremely deadly.

Make no mistake with her being second, Jill still runs the team. Captain America just helps soften up the first group of targets and builds meter for her, hopefully letting her in with a sick DHC.

Team suggestion by lunarhostility:

Wesker - ?/Jill - ?/Iron Man - ?

Both Wesker and Iron Man can hyper off the wall bounce. DHCs work great. Wesker’s low assist is always useful, and he can build lots of meter for Jill and Iron Man to use their level 3s. Also Wesker can teleport and combo after the wall bounce. Iron Man’s Unibeam helps Jill get in. It’s just a great team all around.

You can combo into both Iron Man and Wesker’s level 3 from Jill’s B assist.

You can also use Jill B assist to wall bounce after Wesker’s OTG gun shot, this allows relaunch combos.

DHCing into Wesker’s level 3 is really easy as well from Jill’s machine gun hyper because she often flies over or close to the opponent, at which point you can DHC and Wesker will be in range.

You can use Wesker’s gun assist plus Jill’s overhead to set up high/low unblockables.

Team suggestion by Carpark:

Chris - ?/Jill - ?/Wesker - ?

Chris is a battery for Jill’s DHC into Wesker’s Rhino Charge. Jill’s Arrow Kick is amazing for Chris, because it causes Hard Knockdown, this allows for some really damaging combos with him, particularly his devastating one meter Grenade Launcher juggle for 760,000 damage.

Make no mistake, Jill is still the main character in the team. If Chris manages to kill one character, I switch to Jill. She heavily benefits from Chris’s Machine Gun Assist, allowing cross-up dashes, or even Position Exchange setups. Wekser’s Low Shot allows relaunch combos and unblockable setups with Jill’s overhead, and her upward High Speed Dash into j.:s:. The most important element is Jill’s Raven Spike DHC damage/hitstun reset, this allows Wesker to perform a full combo off his Low Shot into :d:+:m:> ground series at midscreen, or launch/magic series into anything he wants, anywhere on the screen doing from 1,000,000 to 1,200,000 damage.

Team suggestion by The Mad King:

Jill - ?/Wesker -?/Doom - ? or ?

Doom assists to cover Jill’s insane mixups, and once she gets in you can set up high/low unblockables with Wesker-? (I want to try turning some Jill combos into unblockable resets with Wesker-?). The team allows DHC trick into Wesker Rhino Charge for hitstun/damage scaling reset and Jill wallbounce assist allows Wesker to relaunch after OTG pistol. Doom is also just nice to have on point if needed later because he’s still versatile on point (Keepaway and rushdown options are both super-solid).

Team suggestion by Mo’Salty:

Jill - ?/Sentinel - ?/Akuma - ?

This team utilizes almost every dirty trick in the book. From DHC scaling reset to sickeningly ambiguous cross-up and high-low barrages.

Jill can call either assist and use her gun super to OTG and reset a combo and will at worst be safe. With two amazing pressure assists, Jill can freely play her remarkable mixup game once she’s in, and can combo off of her instant overhead with either assist. Each character can further their combos with each other character’s assist in an intuitive manner.

What’s more, this team boasts three characters with amazing comeback potential in most match-ups. This team also deals well with any specific team gimmick that comes to mind (including phoenix, boasting both Akuma’s tatsu and beam super along with Jill’s powerful new gun hyper).

Team suggestion by Omega1:

Jill - ?/Amaterasu - ?/Dante -?

Strengths: Versatliy, this team allows for what I believe is an amazing amount of flexablity. Ama’s Cold Star can be used as a way for Jill or Dante to approach and in Jill’s case can cause nasty mix ups when used with ferral dashes. Dante’s Crystal can be used to extend Ama’s and Jill’s combos because of it’s OTG propertiys and provide corner support. Although a bit slow for my taste Jill’s arrow kick can be used as a spacing tool for ama a wall bounce combo opener for Dante and in certain situations as a GTFO move.

I’ve used this team with the charcter’s in various spots but I haven’t found one yet that they tend to work poorly from, all three seem to have quite a bit of synergy and utlity. It seems fairly strong against most of the match ups I’ve faced losing only to a Zero, Magneto, Dark Phoenix team (Mainly Dark Phoenix) and a Trish, Doom, Dormamu team.

Weaknesses: The low stamina of the team can be a deciding factor and obviously this team is not meant for prolonged fights. Your goal should be to take advantage of your versatlity and rush out your opponent however if your opponent can shut you out or get Dark Phoenix, you can expect to fall fairly quickly (although that could be more due to my lack of skill than a weakness with the team).

Lastly depending on the order of the team DHCing may not be as potent as some other comboiations.

Addendum by Carpark: DHC order doesn’t matter all that much as long as Jill isn’t the last character, since both Dante and Ammy allow for some devastating combos with the DHC trick.

Reserved for future updates.

Reserved

Jill / Morrigan / Iron Man

You Heard it here first. Team K1. Patented.

The only thing that will make me change any members of my team is Psylocke. If she becomes DLC at some point, Iron Man will be getting the boot. Other than that, Im sticking with this team. Ive been waiting to be able to perfect this team since day 1 MvC3.

Aside from the obvious fact that you haven’t even tested the team yet, I have two things to say to you and everyone who will use this thread:
-Please, list your assists as well, this is important.
-Say WHAT makes your team viable, not just “I like the team”.

Jill(Alpha or Beta assist, undecided)/Ammy(Beta)/Tron(Beta).

I personally like how her Gun Spray Hyper DHC’s well into Ammy’s Okami Shuffle, and if you get her Kick Hyper in the corner JUST right, possibly right into Ammy’s L3. Still working out some kinks. Ammy’s assist is good for helping Jill get in, and Tron’s is good for mixups. Also, I noticed how I can do Jill’s Beta assist and go right into Lunchtime with Tron due to the wallbounce… not sure how practical that might be though, aha.

Cap-A/Jill-A/Task-A

Why: Everything in this team fucking DHCs. In fact, Raven spike is one of the only hypers I know of that DHCs midscreen off hyper charging star… Shield slash assist lets jill stick a couple extra ground normals into her combo before she launches, Task assist helps both close, although it’s not the best. Strongly considering swapping task assist for Doom, IM or Sent, though all three lose DHC power.

As for Jill’s assists, still waffling between her overhead assist and the wallbounce assist, the former obviously makes combos a lot easier, though the latter makes those combos extremely deadly.

Make no mistake with her being second, Jill still runs the team. Captain America just helps soften up the first group of targets and builds meter for her, hopefully letting her in with a sick DHC.

Jill’s Raven Spike is capable of starting the DHC trick, so automatically I think Sentinel. Drones assist is also probably useful for covering Jill’s approach, but not might be as good as something like Plasma Beam. But if they get caught in the Drones, an instant cross up is just a teleport away.

Is she good with Zero?

oh wow, actually, she is. in fact, you can DHC her raven spike into his Clone super, and id have to test it but you can probably dhc his Rainbow storm into her Raven spike to switch em out. She probably could use his dashing assist for extra hits on a combo as well

Wesker B assist, Jill B assist, Iron Man A assist.

Both Wesker and Iron Man can hyper off the wall bounce. DHCs work great. Wesker’s low assist is always useful, and he can build lots of meter for Jill and Iron Man to use their level 3s. I can’t wait to see what combo opportunities are opened up by Jill’s level 3. Also Wesker can teleport and combo after the wall bounce. Iron Man’s Unibeam helps Jill get in. It’s just a great team all around.

Just found out that you can combo into both Iron Man and Wesker’s level 3 from Jill’s B assist.

You can also use Jill B assist to wall bounce after Wesker’s OTG gun shot, but I can’t figure out yet if it’s possible to combo afterward. Anyone willing to help test?

DHCing into Wesker’s level 3 is really easy as well from Jill’s machine gun hyper because she often flies over or close to the opponent, at which point you can DHC and Wesker will be in range.

You can use Wesker’s gun assist plus Jill’s overhead to set up high/low unblockables.

I was using She Hulk Doom Storm. I thought I could just swap out She Hulk for Jill for an alt team, but that was no good. I had to put Doom third so I could have a dhc option for Jill. So the team I am running now is Jill B Storm A Doom B

I think Doom rocks might be better for Jill, but hidden missiles are just awesome with Storm, so I am trying that assist out first.

Might try a Jill, Wesker, Doom team as well. She would benefit from his gunshot assist greatly

She-hulk a/Jill a/Taskmaster a
dhcs work great.
There’s shehulk’s low hitting assist and jill’s Overhead is great since it can lead to unblockables

Not sure how well Jill handles keepaway yet, but if she handles it poorly. Taskmaster is there to save the day.

I’ve used Jill b/Storm a/Tron b
Jill’s Raven Super, Storm’s Hail Storm and Tron’s Lunch Rush all DHC together no matter what order to do great damage and Tron’s GDLK assist helps a lot in Jill’s mixups.
Also Storms assist can help Tron’s combos, but I haven’t quite tested if Jill can help Tron, as well.

My Jill is still super scrubby, but I’m liking Jill-b/Dorm-b/Iron Man-a. Using Unibeam to make an initial approach into magic series xx cartwheel/flip/command overhead mixups and building meter.

Dormammu DHCs are sexy. You can easily go Gun Spray - Chaotic Flame - Proton Cannon, but outside of a killing situation, I prefer Spray - Stalking Flare. Gives me time to lay down a Flame Carpet and store some Dark Spell points, or immediately start Purification chipping.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I’m thinking of doing Tron-b/Jill-b/Wesker-b. Tron will be the main meter gainer and can serve as Jill’s gateway via DHCs, TACs, Bonne Aerial Bonne Strikes, and air dashes so I don’t have to worry too much about projectile spammers (I hope). Wesker is there to serve as OTG fodder, especially for Tron who can deal 800k+ with an OTG assist, and also doubles as an alternate get-arounder with his teleport. Either way, they get in for Jill who will then subject the opponent to mixups and infinites. Jill’s assist, ideally, is to act as a hit confirm for combos for the other two, but I’m not quite what assist is best for this team.

That’s the main plan, don’t know if everything will work out though.

First off, THIS ^^ is whats wrong with soooo many people who play marvel. In this game, nearly every character is viable, so saying " WHAT MAKES YOUR TEAM VIABLE" is kind of pointless. Considering the fact that most characters are viable, what the hell is wrong with playing characters simply because I love them. Why do I have to have spent a month formulating every little thing. People who do that shit are so annoying. Theory fighting is great and all, but it becomes too much at a certain point. I play Jill / Morrigan / Iron Man simply because I love their characters. I MAKE them work for me.

and if I MUST post why my team works / etc, then here you go:

I can DHC everything. I can get relaunch combos if I want with Iron Man’s smart bomb assist. I can easily get in with Jill by using Iron Man’s Unibeam assist + Feral Crouch forward dash. I can get a 900+K combo using no xfactor by DHC’ing Jill’s Machine Gun Spray hyper into Morrigan’s DI. All of the characters flow and work well with each other naturally. I can set up RIDICULOUS resets that are (most importantly ) nearly 100% safe (except from a random lvl 3 hyper) by using Iron Man’s Unibeam / Repulsor Blast assists in tandem with Jill’s great mixups.

If you would like anything else, I would be more than happy to post more.

Listen up everyone:

PLAY CHARACTERS YOU LOVE, SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU ENJOY THEM. Dont give in to viability bullshit. This game is honestly pretty balanced (for the most part).

• K1

I haven’t had much time to play around with her, but I started with Jill ? /Bonne B/ Iron Man A

Her combos are pretty straightforward, but I like to use Tron’s invincibility when I get in close, and mix it up. If you do it early enough you can combo off overhead with fire. Another thing I like to do is use either wavedash, empty overhead, call iron man, then feral rush behind them or above them. The bad thing about it, is that the throw option diminishes, but on the bright side, its hard to read Jill if you do it at just the right time while the opponent is blocking.

DHC wise the two of them can hit her QCF one, and considering her most basic BNB can just be Somersault kick > Gun Ultra, its good damage for the price or better.

No, not at all. Three great characters in one team don’t equal a great team, there’s such thing called team synergy. Besides, I never said “pick top characters”, I said “say why your team is viable”, because just stating your team and writing a sentence or two will not help other people decide on their own team.

Anyway, guys, if you have an update on your teams post them here as well. I see many questions here, like lunarhostility’s : “You can also use Jill B assist to wall bounce after Wesker’s OTG gun shot, but I can’t figure out yet if it’s possible to combo afterward. Anyone willing to help test?”, if I know the answer, I will edit the question (I already did), if not, I’ll just remove it until I have an update from the original poster, or anyone else.

Finally, my current team is team S.T.A.R.S. (can’t believe I’m first to suggest it): Chris - ?/Jill - ?/Wesker - ?.

Chris is a battery for Jill DHC into Wesker’s Rhino Charge. Jill’s Arrow Kick is amazing for Chris, because it causes Hard Knockdown, this allows for some really damaging combos with him.

Make no mistake, Jill is still the main character in the team. If Chris manages to kill one character, I switch to Jill. She heavily benefits from Chris’s Machine Gun Assist, allowing cross-up dashes, or even Position Exchange setups. Wekser’s Low Shot allows relaunch combos and unblockable setups with Jill’s overhead, and her upward High Speed Dash into j:s:. The most important element is Jill’s Raven Spike damage/hitstun reset, this allows Wesker to perform a full combo off his Low Shot into :d:+:m:> standard series.