No Baek? No Problem! Hwoarang Partner Thread

Of course. Add me right up, Just remember it’s xRammAx, not xRanmAx… lol I’m just messin’…

Juri is better in this game than she was in AE. I honestly don’t think it would hurt to learn some of her in Super/AE if you can because that base is really important, IMO. She’s worse offensively (not including FSE) and defensively in IV. It makes playing her in this game feel like a cake walk.

If we do some matches, I’ll try not to mirror match you lol. That’s for me and for you, as I’ve done the Juri/Juri match so many times (in SSFIV and in SFxT)…I’m sick of that match.

Sweet. And I used to play Juri in AE until I switched to SFxT. Mirror matches do suck, but sometimes the more experienced one will teach the other character.

Christ, Hwoarang’s QCB+K makes tag combos so simple, and is just so fun to do in general. I switch him in and out for Cammy on my Cammy/Steve team whenever I feel like a stronger mix-up game would help me over straight footsies and the swag combos you can do for three bars are awesome. Basically, the two of them can take an opponent from one side of the screen to the other and the damage isn’t even that bad for a swag combo.

Only thing that’s a pain when compared to Cammy is the slight adjustment you have to make if you tag cancel for free super during Steve’s command grab.

I haven’t gotten a chance to experiment, but there’s probably much more damaging options off Steve’s command grab than just super.

I wouldn’t doubt it. I think it does exactly 500 as most command switch into supers do. However Cammy can reach a little over 550 with two standing HK, pausing for the launch at the end and then jumping up and catching with a HP, landing HPxxCannon Spike. I’m going to assume, but haven’t tested, that the Hwo/Ste can do something similar. Either way it’s free meter because Steve alone builds up the tag switch cost.

I use an akuma/hwoarang team. I’m an avid keepaway player (marvel I play nemesis, blazeblue I play jin) so I use akuma to chip/fireball to death whil building meter, then put in hwoarang and rush them down since he has such good mixups, like his chainsaw kick if you chain from a standing or crouching jab (though it’s not safe really so if you think it’ll work use it) personally I think hwoarang works well as an anchor or point with any character. Point for any slow characters that have problems getting in (I.e. Hugo, gief, Paul(lol)) and an anchor for anyone that is a good battery or has zoning capabilities. Plus, it’s pretty easy to get a super off a tag cancel or launcher from both characters. Besides all that, character loyalty dictates I main these two anyways so yeah.

Team Member: Ibuki
Position: Anchor
Launch Follow-up: cl.HK, 2HK / 4MP, 5MK xx 63214P
Switch Cancel (214HK): cl.HK, 2HK
Switch Cancel (623K): (same as launch)
Character Switch Cancel (623HK): 2MP, 5HK xx 214HK
Additional notes: Ibuki is great for ending combos because of her strong okizeme game. Her command dashes (236K) can be used to create left/right mix-ups as well as option-select against rolls. She can also switch cancel her 214K on block to bring Hwoarang in for pressure.

Team Member: Raven
Position: Either
Launch Follow-up: [2HP xx 214[P] > 66] x2, cl.HP xx 236LK
Switch Cancel (214HK): (same as launch)
Switch Cancel (623K): (same as launch)
Character Switch Cancel (2HP): 5HK xx 214HK
Additional Notes: Raven is amazing for extending combos because of his huge corner carry and damage. He also complements Hwoarang well because of his ability to play a long range game with projectiles and teleports, while Hwoarang is more dominant when fighting up close.

can anybody recommend a character who goes well with howorang? ive had this game almost since release and still havent been able to decide on a second character to use with him, and as a consequence i have barely spent any time actually practicing combos etc etc.

im not really interested in any of the streetfighter characters since ive gotten too used to seeing them in all the versions of sf4 etc.

I recommend the one I just posted, Raven. The two work together really well.

I recommend Han Juri. They’re like Yin & Yang in technique and handling.

hi guys! what do you say about Guy and Hwoaran in a team?

That’s kind of hard for anyone to answer considering Guy is unavailable to anyone who didn’t hack the disc, which is like 95% of the people who own SFxT. Judging by Guy from AE and Hwoarang, I’m not sure that would make for the strongest team. Guy doesn’t make up for Hwoarang’s weaknesses nor does Hwoarang make up for Guy’s. You go up against a zoner team, or a grappling team or a mixture of the two and you’re going to have series problems. Just my 2 cents.

Currently rockin Hwo and Nina, startin off Hwo mainly just to get better with him. My Nina is deadly so I keep her waiting in case I need to make a comeback. I like this team because both of these characters can easily open up people and do a ton of damage. I hate timeouts and rarely every have to worry about them with this team:) The only person who gives me trouble with Hwo right now is Zang, but Nina deals with him ok.

I’m thinking of trying Hwoarang with either King or Juri. Has anyone tried paring him with either of these two yet? Got any tips? Will they even work together? lol As soon as we get Blanka and Jack I’m gonna pair one of them with him, no matter HOW bad it might be!

EDIT: I posted before i read the thread. So clearly Juri’s a popular choice, but what about King?..or even Gief?

Ok, gief, not too sure about that. I mean, I guess if you REALLY like that team you can make it work, it just seems, unlikely. King on the other hand actually works, I was using him for a while but the damn knee kept not coming out, I raged, switched back to Akuma out of character loyalty, and yeah. But king is pretty good, they both rush down well and have great mix-ups, hwoarang can deal with keep away better then king and I personally like throwing out king against jumpers, I.e. Hugo and rolento. People seem to forget about the counter an after one, they stop jumping as much. Plus, they both have some good damage off cross rush and tag combos, it’s just more execution heavy with king since uf-medium kick will sometimes get you jump forward medium kick, which basically ruins the combo. I like ogre, cause they both have a form of hunting hawk. That’s really it, haven’t really had time to practice them though.

Thanks for the reply dude.
Yeah that knee is a royal pain in the ass. Its pretty much the only reason i haven’t already picked up King.
Funnily enough though, Ogre was another one i was considering, but after spending half of my life crying over mission number 19 i don’t think i ever want to see his big green chops ever again lol. I heard that he was execution heavy as well ( havent picked him up to see my myself though), which is another reason I’ve stayed clear of him. I would probably have paired Hwoarang with Jin by now, but i’ve got a phobia of execution heavy characters.
Seeing the way Chris G uses Hwoarang and Xiaoyu wows me so much it almost makes me wanna pick her up, but i HATE little girl characters…so i probably never will lol.
Juri seems like a safe bet though, how is she for execution? Are those jump cancels difficult to pull off?

Well the jump cancel isn’t too hard too pull off. It may take some time to master and to be honest, it’s a good stepping stone to get to being better. The more execution heavy you get to more possibilities you open to your playing. Right now I’m experimenting on ways to use hwo’s CADC to extend combos cause they seem quite linear. They’re good, but some new tech never hurt anyone. But if you really fear execution heavy characters, ryu or Ken and you’re basically done. They are easy enough to play without high execution and have some damn good combos when you do get good at execution. Or you use Hugo… Please don’t though, sick of that fool.

Here’s a random update, I’ve decided to go with Kuma. I’m a big fan of grappler type characters, which Kuma is, but he’s got some nice little tricks too. My main team is Vega + Hugo (sorry lol) so I’m kinda used to the big easy damage i get from Hugo. I used to swap them around and put Hwoarang in there every so often but i found that would just make me fuck up my combos. For example, if i’m using Vega + Hugo my cross rush combo starting with Vega would be abc launcher, Hugo comes in then i do crLP, lpclap, backbreaker. If one day i decide to go Vega/Hwoarang, i might do the cross rush, Howarang comes in and i go to do crLP, lpclap, backbreaker as if it was Hugo coming in. That kinda thing would happen no matter which way i arrange my teams so I’ve decided to pair a team up and never mix and match.
Anyway, as i was saying, i like grappler type characters, especially teamed up with speedy agile characters like Hwoarang.I tried a few different characters first like Juri, Steve, Jin, Bison and Yoshi. Some worked, some didnt. King turned out to be really good, those hopkicks weren’t as hard to pull off as i originally anticipated so i almost went with him. Last minute i thought to myself “let’s give Kuma a crack”, I’d always just kinda skipped past him at the characters select screen, but i tried him and instantly fell in love with him. They’ve got some really nice synergy and easy big damage combos together. Hwoarang HAS to go on point though. With the right gems you can get in and pressure with Hwoarang, build the meter, and as soon as you bring Kuma in he just fucks everyone in the ass and finishes the round before they know what the hells going on. i was only looking to make this a secondary team, but I’m thinking of making it my main team cos theyre so good together. I’ve looked through this thread and the Kuma team thread and nobody else has seemed to pair them up yet, which is strange really.
Anyway, sorry about the essay, I’m just really excited about my new team!
Also, let me know how the CADC combos come along! I’ve seen some really sick CADC shit for some other characters recently, I’d love to see some for Hwoarang!

It’s cool dude, I’m just tired of seeing mindless Hugos doing nothing but splash or frame trap clap. But yeah, kuma is pretty good, just takes a little practice to get good IMO. So the cadc stuff, not sure if he really can. I was trying to do his bnb then cadc after the stand hk but it either doesn’t work or my execution is still that off. I started using ogre as secondary for my rushdown team. I just have the sane problem with ogre that I did with king but it’s not as bad.