No Baek? No Problem! Hwoarang Partner Thread

List your favorite Hwoarang partnership, his place in your team, and the positives/negatives of the team. If you can add to one of the teams that is already doen or know better follow up combos, just add it below and I’ll change it. I’ll be updating this post with some of the best teams and some feedback. Here is a rough guide line of what you can write.

Team Member:
Position: (The Team Member’s Spot, Not Hwoarang’s)
Launch Follow up:
Cross Cancel HH:
Cross Cancel SR:
Character Special Cancel:
Additional Notes:

Asuka

[details=Spoiler]
Team Member: Asuka
Position: Anchor
Launch Follow up: f.MP, st.MK, cr.MP, HCB K (I think)
Cross Cancel HH: df.HK, df.HK, df,HK, HK (I think)
Cross Cancel SR: Not sure…
Character Special Cancel: I’ve just been doing cr.MP xx EX HH, j.HK, SR off everything lol. I’m sure I could do better I just haven’t had much time to play.
Additional Notes: I use the meter generating gem off partner’s launcher since I use a lot.

Credit: Godot[/details]

Ibuki

[details=Spoiler]Team Member: Ibuki
Position: Main
Launch Follow-up:

• cl.HK > 9, j.HK
  • cl.HK > 9, j.HK, 63214P
  • cl.HK > 9, j.HK, 623HK
    Switch Cancel (214HK):
  • 236K x2, <same as launch>
  • 63214[PP] (charge to lv.3)
    Switch Cancel (623K): <same as launch>
    Partner Launch:
  • 5MK > MK > 2LK (whiff) > HK xx 214HK
  • 5MK > MK > 3, 5HK xx 214HK
  • FLA MP > MP > 6, 623HP xx 623HK
    Partner Switch Cancel (623HK):
  • 5MP > MP xx 63214[P] > 66, 5HK xx 214HK
  • FLA MK > LK > 3, 5HK xx 214HK
  • FLA MP > MP > 6, 623HP xx 623HK
  • (corner) 5MP > MP > 6, FLA HP xx 214HK
  • (corner) FLA MP > MP > 6, 214HK
    Additional Notes: Ibuki is a good character to start the round because of her extremely fast meter-building. In addition, her launcher and 623HK switch cancel keep the opponent in the air long enough for Hwoarang to do better follow-up juggles than he normally can. Ibuki can also switch-cancel her 214K or 623K on block to bring Hwoarang in for pressure.

Credit: Dr. Grammar[/details]

Juri

[details=Spoiler]
Team Member: Juri
Position: Point
Launch Follow up: cr. HP, jc > dive kick > cr. MK PW/Super
Switch Cancel HH: cr. HP, jc > dive kick > cr. MK PW/Super
Switch Cancel SR: cr. HP, jc > jf. HP > st. HP xx LK PW/FB store/Super
Pinwheel Cancel: j. HK > cr. MP > HK Sky Rocket or HK Hunting Hawk
Additional Notes: In the corner, Hwoarang can follow up with almost any juggle option. She is great on point because she is hard to zone and has many ways to get in. While she’s finding her way in, she can build meter and do damage without having to use the meter. Once she is in, tag in Hwoarang and get to work).

Credit: Ramma, eiSH[/details]

Raven

[details=Spoiler]Team Member: Raven
Position: Either
Launch Follow-up: [cr. HP xx qbc+P > d,d] x2, cl.HP xx qfc+LK
Switch Cancel HH: (same as launch)
Switch Cancel SR: (same as launch)
Character Switch Cancel (2HP): st. HK xx qbc+HK
Additional Notes: Raven is amazing for extending combos because of his huge corner carry and damage. He also complements Hwoarang well because of his ability to play a long range game with projectiles and teleports, while Hwoarang is more dominant when fighting up close.

Credit: Dr. Grammar[/details]

Reserved #1

Reserved #2

Lol this is my day 2 at SFXTK and i decided to Pick up Hworang and Ken what do you guys think?

Got him teamed up with Juri currently, will post combos later.

I know that their Cross Art is stronger if Juri ends it (450 instead of 410)

Replaced akuma with Juri today with Juri going first, im in love. Juri is amazing in this game and her aggressiveness + hwoarang is amazing. Juri is really well balanced in pretty much everything expect reversals [ I think ], she has the projectiles to put on insane pressure and her cr.mk is just too good. Her antiairs are amazing too and getting a combo into tag going is so easy with her, which also makes hwoarang play alot easier since hes right up in the face then.

I still need to work on finding a good partner. Lately I’ve been using Ken or Akuma. My friend plays Asuka, and we do alright when we team up; I just don’t know how to play her myself yet. I’ll improve this info after we get more practice in or if someone else has some helpful knowledge.

Team Member: Asuka
Spot: Point? Still kinda working on that…
Launch Follow up: f.MP, st.MK, cr.MP, HCB K (I think)
Cross Cancel HH: df.HK, df.HK, df,HK, HK (I think)
Cross Cancel SR: Not sure…
Character Special Cancel: I’ve just been doing cr.MP xx EX HH, j.HK, SR off everything lol. I’m sure I could do better I just haven’t had much time to play.
Additional Notes: I use the meter generating gem off partner’s launcher since I use a lot.

im currently using hwoanrang on point with ken but im thinking of putting ken on point instead. any thoughts?

Yeah I prefer Ken on point as I tend to use more meter with Hwoarang. Also you can Tatsu xx Tag Cancel into a full combo and SRK xx Tag Cancel to get out of trouble. Plus I like Hwoarang to come in already close to the opponent (not that I can’t get in otherwise)

Also right now I’m just generally not sure what to do with Ken when I tag cancel out of one of Hwoarang’s attacks like HH or just the reg. launcher. I normally just do something like cr.HP xx HK Tatsu

yeah midscreen i do cr hp or cr mk to hk tatsu to push them into the corner but in the corner i like to do TC HPshoryuken

In a Ryu/Hwoarang team, who should be on point? Any other tips for synergy?

Well, it would depend on the match up I guess, but I’d lead with Ryu. I am a firm believer that any character who can dictate where the fight takes place belongs on point. Ryu can get Hwoarang in to do the works. His EX SRK is a fantastic tag in move. Hwoarang could follow up with anything. However, if Hwoarang is on point against a character who is by no means a zoner, Hwoarang can get in and you can switch between them as needed.

Hey guys i just recently released a team synergy combo video of Hwoarang & Law hope u enjoy sub/like/comm if ud like
[media=youtube]hyPxl2mTt7w[/media]

Hey, I’m gonna post a chart when I can, but I haven’t figured everything I can out yet between these two characters, but I’m currently running Hwoarang and Hugo. Hwoarang is damn mobile, and takes on nicely what Hugo can’t. I usually sneak near them, push them to the corner, do a longer tag to Hugo, and it does some -semi-significant damage for no meter (near 400 from jumping in, triple middle kick target combo, heavy kick, and launcher, into light kick followed by light back breaker), and then Hugo gets a bit of meter for Hwoarang’s larger combos. I’m new at this game, so if there are any tips you guys have with these two together, or suggestions for other characters to run with Hwoarang, lemme know.

I’m rocking Cole/Hwoarang right now as they are my two top characters and they actually seem to have some synergy between them. Cole is very adept at building meter and zoning out characters, the former of which Hwoarang appreciates and Hwoarang is nice when I cannot achieve the latter. Based on my own skill level though it is hard for me to see matchups, so can anyone tell me how Hwoarang usually does against the likes of Sagat, Hugo, and Raven? Those three seem to be Cole’s worst nightmare and it’d be nice to pair him up with someone who can address that.

Post some run down’s people!

@Samuel, with Hwoarang, I’ve had no problems with Sagat. But, I played Sagat in Super and am very familiar with the match. That said, Hwoarang can Special Step under the high shots and LK HH over the low shots. Using dive kick to move around fireballs while airborne also helps. Sagat has under rated pokes, so you don’t want to do the footsie game with him so much. However, I’m noticing Hwoarang’s sweep goes under some of Sagat’s better standing pokes which are long as hell. Again, I know Sagat, so that always makes the match easier. As for the other two, my experience with them isn’t too extensive as Hwoarang, but I’ll throw in my two cents:

Hugo, it’s all mind games. His wake up game is not good. A lot of what he does is very punishable and he’s slow as all hell. You see him do that stupid charge up attack, don’t run, don’t attack. Let him release it. It’s like negative 3948091 frames on block. He’s weak to cross ups. Honestly though, unless I need to get her out, I keep Juri in against Hugo, so I don’t know too much of how to deal with him as Hwoarang

Raven, once you learn his attacks, he gets easier. Don’t use jumps to get through his air stars, just use special step. His teleport is quite punishable. Eventually, after a hundred stars have floated off the screen, he’ll likely teleport in and you can punish him. Most Ravens will try to lame you out, so don’t get desperate. Be patient getting in.

You can attack if you see Hugo charging. It’s like armor is sf4…anything that hits twice will break it. As long as you’re close enough to hit with a chain, you can punish him while he’s charging. Air raid works a lot, too.

Alright!!! Juri/Hwoarang! I love this team! It just feels… delicious! And after reading Ranma’s post about how to handle Hugo and Raven, I feel a little more comfortable fighting my two teammates now. One uses Raven really well while the other plays with all the cheap characters, like Hugo. lol

I’ve got a pretty good tag in combo with them, but I feel a need a certain regimen with them as a team to become better.

Off of HK HH, cancel into cr hp > jc > j forward hp > st. HP xx whatever. Best tag in combo.

Off of Juri Pinwheel, cancel into j HK > cr MP/MK xx HK HH.

Those are your most damaging tag cancel combos for them (might have better options in corner). Hope that helps. I run the same team (it is a popular one). Be sure to check out eiSH’s Juri/Hwoarang synergy video too.

Oh, and it’s Ramma, not Ranma :wink:

My bad Ramma. I’ve seen that video along with others though and watch them every time I play to try and pick up on what they do to become better. Can’t seem to incorporate it when all that happens is having my ass handed to me by my two team mates though. I also do both of those tag in combos. Juri’s jump cancel is getting easier for me to use every time I do it, but it’s still not perfect.

Mind if I add you on XBL?