New Matchup Thread

Yun ? Yun is likely Urien’s worst matchups, he has high mobility, solid defensive options, fast attack and Genei-Jin. The rule of thumb between the two characters is: If Yun gets a 3rd Genei-Jin, he wins, if Urien has you cornered with two stocks, he wins. The most important thing to remember is Yun’s moves are faster than yours, so you want to minimize the risk of a situation where his attacks will even hit you. The optimal thing to do then is to stay roughly at standing HP range or a little further, what this does is: Forces Yun into a place where the only things that will hit Urien are forward parriable, Urien can tag pokes with his superior range, and Yun has a lower % of moves that will hit Urien. Yuns optimal positions are far away (to whiff pokes for Genei-Jin), and less so, right in front of you without Genei-Jin activated. Close up is less optimal, because Urien actually has presence there and can actually cause Yun to take damage, or turn the game around in Urien’s favor.
Things worth noting are: Low parry beats both standing jab (!) and all Yun’s crouching moves, so after a dive kick, if Yun does either, it’s not very difficult to get the parry (even if its red parry). After a divekick, Yun can either then: UOH, Hopkick, MP into Target Combo, Backdash, or Throw. His best choice in terms of reward is throw, but your throw will beat his (even command throw) unless his throw is at max range. UOH is a bad choice after dive kick because of how close it is, which probably means its a free throw if blocked. Hopkick is slightly better, but it’s a negative advantage, and does better damage/stun. MP into target combo is generally not very bad (I recommend hitting forward to try and red parry the 2nd hit if you are going to get good reward off it). Backdash is one of his best options if he has a lot of meter and trying to activate off a chain in your grill can spell death if you get a red parry, if he has full meter, it’s best for him to just do target or step back, wait a second, c.MK activate.
When Yun isn’t in your face, it’s best to walk into him. Don’t dash, because Yun can just throw out moves and get a knockdown and a shitload of meter, the last thing you want Yun to have is free meter. Slowly approach from the ground and if he’s a jump distance and then some away, it’s fine to jump in. I recommend only doing j.HK or empty jump block unless you know hes going to throw if you do a jump in that lands in his face, in which case you want to do an LP headbutt, otherwise, really refrain from being too aerial unless you’re trying to meet him with a j.HP for his divekicks.
When you parry dive kick, there’s generally a few punishes you can do, if it was a super shitty one that is like free throw on block, you can probably get a c.HP, otherwise stick to stand MP or walkup throw. Stand MP will push Yun into the corner pretty far, also if you’re feeling really frisky, you can cancel it into fireball xx aegis if the situation calls for it. If you knock yun down, WALK IN, you pretty much have one option if you do dash in vs Yun after a knockdown and he tech rolls, a crouching light attack or if you feel super good about it, dash in LK Tackle, everything else loses to a wakeup c.LK as far as I know. Besides, being close to Yun leaves you with worse options than being out of his c.MK range a lot of the time. The dash in is good however, if you have Aegis and he’s in corner, because you can cancel a tackle into LP Aegis and he has to choose between high and low.or eat damage or even death.
If Yun has Genei-Jin, I have two pieces of advice: Block or have Jesus on your side when you headbutt. Minor update: After experimenting with it, always just straight up throw if you anticipate their command throw, you will beat it clean, and will probably lead to less death than doing headbutt because he has to concentrate on launching you too which takes less damage.

ill write other chars later

how do you see the dudley urien matchup? i think its 6-4 urien’s favor.

Wrong, I’m pretty sure that belongs to Akuma.

Nice thread so far. For the benefit of all Urien players, I hope that this thread sees few to no contributions from players that don’t have considerable offline experience in the matchup being discussed. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

imo uriens worst match ups are :

1.yun
2.yang
3. chun, ken ibuki

did you learn any new urien stuff in japan?:pray:

I disagree with this because you can always kill Akuma in one hit, and once I learned to red parry hurricanes, even if inconsistently, the matchup becomes leagues better, you can very easily blockstring into Aegis setups (this is almost always how I land an Aegis vs Akuma, I’ll only do vanilla Aegis if they are bad or I’m at a range where if he teleports out he has so little health I’ll kill him). Also while Urien’s tall it took me ages to just realize demon flip is long enough that I can just jump MP on reaction to it. IMO the matchup is as bad as Ken, and Therapist runs my money all day regardless of his character.

Dudley is even IMO. Urien has no way of ducking some of Dudleys moves (at least, as far as I know, shorter characters can duck his HPs?) and Urien unlike again, some shorter characters, can’t practically dash away from Dudleys jumps, and all of Uriens pokes leave his hittable box out there for ages, so it’s easy to parry HK EX MGB. Uriens probably better than most characters at keeping him out, and honestly this is probably one of my better strengths to compensate for my awful awful defense, so if my local Dudleys get in my grill usually I’m dead at that point unless they have less than 1 meter.

I can’t write stuff about Ibuki/Elena/Necro besides small little tidbits of advice I’ve picked up because I have little experience in the matchup. Maybe if I played Mutant XP more often I’d have some necro stuff lol

Oh and if I had to rate the severity of each matchup:

1. Yun Chun (Straight up you have to outplay them at every turn)
  2. Makoto Akuma Ken (You can get ballsy without risking the match, in fact I kind of garuntee you’re going to be guessing in these matchups quite a bit).
  3. Ibuki Yang (I’d put this really close to even).
  4. Chars hes even with (Duds, Ryu, Oro, Elena, Necro)
  5. Shitty characters (Everyone else)

Pretty much vs characters in 1, even jesus guesses aren’t really going to do you that much (unless you get a Chun HK or c.LP), which is where I kind of draw the line, where smart guessing gone wrong becomes death instead of risky.

Edit: And if you want to know, I’m a decent tourney EC player, don’t think I’m as good as Emphy, Gootecks, let blood run, or Mutant XP, I’m definitely a good tier below them all in skill.

Chun - The Chun vs Urien match comes down to something simple: Chun has better ground pokes. They both have about equal gains of momentum (Urien is, IMO a TEENY bit better without meter, if he has you cornered). This match is a fight of opportunity vs denying opportunity, to put it simply. Chun wants to keep you the fuck out because if you get one blockstring near the corner and you have meter shes going to eat hell, and Urien is aching to get the kiss of death on Chun. Your entire gameplay should revolve around: Cornering Chun-Li the best to your ability and getting meter. Try and remember Chun is playing defensively most of the time meterless, because she can throw out pokes and get meter and a little bit of damage, but offensively if the get a good guess its game turning for her which she doesn’t want.
Things you CAN use vs a meterless Chun “safely” (You could get a c.MK in retaliation or a back fierce in retaliation, not a huge deal), Sweep, close up fwd HP, j.HK without perfect timing/spacing, stand MK, and TACKLE. Tackle is jesus vs meterless Chun, it moves fast, gives you shitloads of meter, does good damage, will often TRADE with back fierce (a move that beats like, everything), and pushes her in a direction you want! What more could you as for? Once Chun gets meter, throw these things out, unless you KNOW it will work. I’m not saying “guess”, you need to be absolutely SURE she will not block it, that, or shes so incredibly not focused on punishing a move, that she wont super it (possible, not probable).
So what is the proper range vs Chun? This is a tough answer, because I don’t think there is one, if you don’t have meter, IMO you’re best just whiffing standing Strong (do it in bursts, do it once then stop, don’t to it at all sometimes, etc, so she doesn’t just full screen super your ass). The second best range is at her standing HP range, you can be hit by maybe 3 moves at this range, sweep, c.MP, and stand HP. Both sweep and stand HP build more meter, do more damage and put her in a better position, so more often than not, a good option forward parry is in order at this range. Whore it. Punish with your stand HP (or dash in throw if you’re feelin on).
Next on the table, j.HK. Urien’s j.HK is single handedly one of his best moves, however, theres a problem: If Chun parries it at any time but the latest it can possibly be done at max range, she can super it somehow (if you do it point blank, she can do c.Jab chain into it, 95% of Chuns in the US cannot do this, so if you get away with it once, you can probably get away with it again). The problem with a close j.HK is both back fierce and a jump up HK will generally be Chuns best anti-airs against this jump in, which is why its best to avoid it unless she whiffed a move (in which case back fierce or stand jab are her only good options). Doing it from far away but early can lead into c.MK super or just vanilla super, so your best bet is do it late, and far away. The only other time you should use j.HK is to punish something stupid like she did a stand fierce and it whiffed in front of you, then you can do like a j.HK into whatever (if did it a bit early, do c.MK or c.LK xx something xx aegis, if you did it late do a c.Fierce). Make sure to mixup jump ins with blocking and LP headbutts afterward. Also don’t be afraid to abandon a headbutt charge if you know shes gonna do an anti-air.
Can’t think of anything else…

IMO

1.Yang
2.Yun
3.ibuki

Yeah, I say Yang is his worst match up, I think Ken should be listed as well. Ibuki isn’t to terrible once you get a keen idea of her best options and spacing. I can read parry her pokes at times, but Ken gives me disgusting trouble, even though Yang is a threat to, Ken is personally a much bigger problem for me, especially since his bnb’s really dish it out.

yang is in no way his worst matchup.

all his overheads are reactionary, his throws have shit range, just block and wait for a pattern or escape to appear, theres definely stuff urien cant handle (stand close MK beats headbutts pretty cleanly), but all you need is one opening and yang is garbage.

How is he up against Oro?

even, the match is 100% determined on who gets momentum first, uriens got better pokes (HP beats practically all of oros moves), but oro is a bit better of taking advantage of meter without initiative (vanilla activate sa3 and just do semi-unblocks).

1. Every character can be very tough if you are fighting top-level players.

2. The tier list from Japan is generally accepted, although some parts of it may be weird to you.

What about Remy? I’d say he’s one of Urien’s worst IMO, hes really bad.

1. Where are these Godly Remys you’re playing?
  2. How is Remy good in this matchup?

From my standpoint, Urien can beat Remy pretty handily. Sure, LoV’s can be an issue, but nothing that can’t be parryable. Urien’s pokes are better than Remy’s and if you hover just outside of Remy’s RH Flash kick range, you’re gravy…because you can bait the Flash Kick to come out and wail away with Tackles and Aegis. Remy shouldn’t pose too much of a threat unless you’re running into all of these things.

remy’s like 6 - 4 uriens favor

its just you cant play like uriens normal go for broke style because thats usually how remy players will break you down.

I just always thought the LOVs were bastards, but yeah, I guess. The Remy player who I mainly play is relly really good so yeah maybe. Ibuki is another bad matchup, but still in Urien’s favour. Ibuki’s speed and strings are really anooying, but she eats damage so I guess st.fierce and cr.forward are your two best stuffers(for her random dashes mainly)

i like sweep against ibuki actually, she has no real answer to it. stand HP is definetly the best move vs her though, option parry, (see if its an upperkick if not) throw on her wakeup is really good too.

I’m sure this has been mentioned, but Urien’s sweep from MAX distance actually beats out upperkick. (gotta find that, think it’s in the Urien Footsies thread). I like standing MP and HP to beat out any dashes she may attempt. The only problem I have with Ibuki is jump happy ones. Normally it’s not an issue until they jump right over my head, to which Urien has no move to answer that, since by then C. Fierce is not gonna hit. Strings are bleh, but Ibuki isn’t too much of a hassle for me once I get momentum going.

Now if Akuma was only that way… :’(