NEUTRALIZE! The Sentinel Guide (Last update 27/1/13: Check out the incoming mix-ups)

RE: Hawkeye
A friend of mine plays hawkeye as anchor and i have a lot of trouble getting in on him with my skrull/sent/akuma team. Like somebody said earlier, hawkeye covers a lot of the screen with projectiles and sent cant fly or whiff anything without getting gimleted. what I do recommend is slowly making your way to hawkeye, be it with wavedashes or double jumping. Mobility is one of sentinel’s strengths vs Hawkeye. What I like to do is wait for a blocked gimlet and just wavedash in on him like crazy till I am in his face, and then just land one hit and make that one hit count.

Also a low level harddrive should get you close to him (if the HD is too high he can just slide under it and back to the other side.

But seriously, hawkeye anchor has ocv’ed me waaaay too many times. I can’t stand that character with XF3.

PS: at 9:00 in the video that Jak D ripper posted above we have infrit 1-on-1 against hawkeye. He is just quickly moves in with wavedashes and double jumps until he hits hawkeye ONCE and he is dead. good stuff infrit.

So I know Skrull/Sent is a common pairing. So I’m gonna share my combo

Off Command Grab H in the corner, with Skrull Stone Smite
j.m, j.s, s.m, s, j.m, j.h, s, call Skrull, rocket punch l , c.m, rocket punch m > plasma storm = 755k, and it is positive 10% on meter.

Dhc to inferno for 900k+ damage.

Even better, make it a kara command grab off standing H. Sent is a beast.

You can squeeze out a bit more damage by substituting a j.H at the beginning instead of j.M and you get about 15k more damage and about close to 5% more meter.

Good shit guys, ill make an update this weekend(crazy craaaaaazy week at school) and Co-Jones, I just remembered I have the goddamn guide lol, it has the numbers for all the combos so ill just post them. But if you could please look at the combos I post and if you see any way to squeeze in extra damage and meter don’t hesitate to point it out.

Btw, if y’all see any footage of some solid sentinel play(or solid use of drones) don’t hesitate to post it in here, Im gonna make a video tab in future compiling all competent sentinel play so yea just dump the matches here when you see them.

Very well, I’ll look out for good Sentinel gameplay. Remember, just post dem combos and I’ll hit the lab and tinker with them to see if there’s even the slightest tweak to make the combo better in terms of both meter gain and damage.

Looking through the Box Arena’s archives of its Tuesday night sessions and finding Dios X’s matches would be a good place to start. I’ll rummage through them this weekend sometime if no one else has done it by then.

Glad everyone is discussing now. Just got back from FR recently so I’ll be posting more often. Had a hype hit confirm with Sentinel during the team tourney against Yipes. But I had a lot of people tell me to drop sent and learn another character. I love the dude but it’s hard because of all the common anchors like wesker and hawkeye, especially when playing against top players. A little busy at the moment so ill be back later to talk about match-ups.

Yea I saw that, ill post it up when I make the video part, it was pretty sexy. But as for your team, why not try skrull/sentinel/doom? I mean doom isn’t an optimal anchor by any definition, but hes much better than sent. And while doom suffers from the loss of drones, I think your team becomes better since skrull/drones/missiles is dangerous, sent/missiles is dangerous and doom is relatively dangerous so theres never that point where your like “Darn it!!!”. Finally, inferno dhc to plasma storm prolly does about 500k on its own.

EDIT: Also, the incoming character set-up where you frying pan dash up air throw if they push-block. What do you do if they don’t push-block?

I used to play that team, but switched because i wasn’t a fan of anchor doom and because i became really good with Doom w/ drones assist. My problem is at the start of the match. I feel like Skrull doesn’t have good options, like against Wolverine for example.But no worries, I’ll figure something out.

[media=youtube]iyl_FSTS1WA[/media]

I posted this vid in the general discussion, but its kinda dead over there. Anyway at around 16:20 josh wong busts out the big friendly robot on point and sent puts in work. def a vid that any sent fan should check out

made some pretty ridiculous comebacks without xfactor with sent. Various hitconfirms and fly/unfly pressure
[media=youtube]FAF3OcdMNwY[/media]
[media=youtube]H4uFnKfpED8[/media]

Always proving the sent haters wrong lol

The follow up to the first video ><

[media=youtube]yeRZTFw8Tmw[/media]

So incoming mixups, what do you guys like to do?

my go to mixup is flying over them while calling akuma (or skrull stone smite sometimes works too). If they cant see the ground and they cant see themselves, they cant even see the mixup. once akuma hits, i can hitconfirm with j.S, xfactor, kill, and then the last character has to block the mixup again or die.

I also like to call skrull, wait for them to land and try to go for c.m, until they learn to sit there and block it. That’s when you mix up the command grab. and throughout all this skrull backs me up with his stone smite, which, if it hits, is an easy wallbounce hit confirm.

so what do you guys have for incoming mixups with sent + assists, and sent alone?

Sent by himself can fly in front of where they’re going to fall in and then either do frying pan followed by dash-up air grab or cr.M, or just do unfly + command grab when they learn to expect frying pan.

For matchups section, a suggestion: What about Spoilertagception? Put the 49 spoiler tags within a spoiler tag so they don’t take up so much space?

Well I have all my incoming mix-ups in the incoming mix-ups section. But personally the one Im currently trying to perfect is the anti-pushblock set-up that knives uses all the time. Its possible everywhere on the screen(unlike the fly over assist call that really only works in the corner), so Im tryna perfect that. Its a lot harder than it looks, especially since you need to wave dash to get back into air throw range. Plus Im yet to figure out what to do if they don’t push block at all.

In terms of mix ups I like to do with my team is that, when I have Sentinel out I call out either Drone. Be it :l: , :m: or :h: and just before they come out I call Hidden Missiles so, that when the incoming character is about to do something, they get interrupted by both the drones and missiles. This is especially in the case of Bomb Drones because of it’s dual purpose (hitting above and/or below).

If you could post a video of the x-factor combo ill greatly appreciate it. And while Im on the subject of x-factor combos, if someone could please please help me figure out the maximum amount of damage sentinel is capable of with lvl 1 x-factor once again, you’ll have a very grateful jak d ripr.

finding out more about this loop i posted earlier:

off of :m: or :h: command grab then j:m: j:m: j:h: land j:m: j:h: j:s: land :s: sju/f j:h: :qcb::s: j:l: j:h: :qcb::s: j:m: j:h: j:s: :a1: qcf:l: xx :qcf::atk::atk:

I know this combo SHOULD ** work, **but it’s still in theory. I’m always in the lab on some Pinky & the Brain type join lol

The only hard parts to this combo are doing the j:m: j:m: j:h: land j:m: j:h: j:s: part at teh beginning of the combo, mainly because of the opponents height, but you can alter the combo to make sure that Sentinel lands before the opponent to complete the combo, but otherwise the combo should land for about 750k+ damage, I need to verify this though.