Net code discussion. Rollback confirmed!

I think Ono is hinting at GGPO being implemented when he says itll have something everyone wants.

So because somebody got a shitty connection, that invalidates my experience with the game?

Lol k

I had no issue with the netcode yellow bars and up on an ethernet connection. I’m also playing on a CRT so I dont know if that also plays a factor.
And how the fuck are “it’s playable” and “it’s pretty good” vague terminology? Secondly, I didnt even use those terms. I’m struggling to understand the point of that post.

welcome to the world of most old school players.

They know it. At least Ayano was hyping up how ggpo was a feature for Darkstalkers:R
But I believe DS:R was done by Iron Galaxy so yea that just backs up the ‘Capcom Japan being idiots’ part

I remember playing fiends in Ultra when I still had it installed…and we were playing in a private lobby and the game would crash for all of us. All 5 of us. game would close, and so would the steam app! surprised our PCs wouldn’t shut down and go into safe mode to top it all off.

my friend called it a “disgusting bug.”

disgusting is an understatement. but yeah, some people wanna call that game playable. whatevs.
I uninstalled it before it ever got a chance to hand out viruses to everyone lol.

shoultz I’m with you GGPO is excellent on everything I’ve used it with. Please, to the newcomers, make this case to Capcom: GGPO-based netcode is a must.

The point of the post is you are likely ignorant in terms of playing fighting games at any serious level if you legitimately think yellow bars are acceptable. Things such as importance of responsiveness, reaction based gameplay are an alien concept to you (and many other people).

My experience with SF4 on the 360 was fantastic, best netcode in a fighter I’ve played. GFWL PC was even better, if SF4 doesn’t have rollback I don’t think it’s a “necessity” for SF5 as much as a positive addition. I’m genuinely starting to think some of the complaints stem from bad connections, but everyone is entitled to opinions and I’m sure people have experienced issues with online with a good connection. I just don’t think rollback is the primary concern that’s all, as long as it is on par with SF4’s green bar connections I would be content.

I’m almost sure that’s the case too. But while i have an excellent DSL connection (for what can be considered “excellent” in Italy, though, and i guess that an average of 40-50 ms of ping with all Europe is probably a good result in anyway), sometimes, i can definitely feel that the problem is on the other end of the match, the other player. GGPO solves that. I can play people pretty decently even with 250-300 ms of ping both on GGPO with classic Capcom Fighters and on PC with Skullgirls…

If you’ve played the same people on a GGPO/rollback enabled game and on SFIV, you will feel the difference.

GGPO is fucking great when you aren’t facing morons who have 0 input delay and lag the game to death.

I think a lot of people who don’t care if rollback gets used or not have never even been on GGPO to have those opinions. Or used it properly. I cant imagine someone that has been on GGPO saying they wouldn’t mind if SF5 doesn’t use it.

True, and when the blind lead the blind don’t they both fall off a cliff? Anyone who thinks input delay is find, go buy Skullgirls when it is on sale (a lot) or play ggpo on PC (any cheap computer will be able to run those games) and see for yourself. You’ll feel really stupid when u see what good online is like.

I thought GGPO didn’t work very well for 3D games?

Ping counts and some kind of rollback netcode, GGPO or not, needs to be used. Lag and slowdown is murder on charge characters.

I think thats just something capcom said to shut people up. The game does not need to send graphical information, just inputs.

If they want to make sure the animations match whatever was there before roll back, then they can just send ONE number with it the inputs, and the number can represent the time at which the lag took place, let the local machine figure out what the animation is supposed to be like.

I’m a computer programmer and I dont buy for a second that GGPO cant be used for 2.5D fighting games.

sf4 under ideal circumstances is worse than an average GGPO connection in terms of how well you can play on it. Pretty much ANY player will say that if they know the differences between the 2.

I think its comments like this that end up perpetuating this myth of sf4\umvc3 are fine online and they’re really not. You or anyone else who says that just don’t know enough to make a good call and there is NO shame in that honestly. Its impossible to know everything about everything but that doesn’t mean you can get to throw in your 2 cents freely and that is the #1 problem within the FGC. Too many people who don’t know whats going, talk like the know whats going on and it affects the end product of the games tremendously. I really wish people would realize that… I’m not trying to beat you up, I’m just trying to help the FGC. If it that means telling people why their wrong logically so we can move forward, I will try that.

you offered no argument other than your experience online. Nothing mathematical, nothing technical, nothing about input delay, roll back, lag. You’ve pretty much proved your ignorance to people who know more than you and myself combined. As of this point, your input is irrelevant to any regular player and HOPEFULLY to developers too.

Even if wong, valle came in here and said, sf4 is GREAT online. I would say something similar to them if they offered no logical argument. However, very rarely do OGs do that. Its ALWAYS new players.

That’s a good idea.

My example: I thought sf4 had decent online play until skullgirls came out. It really was like night and day. Then, on top of that, they updated SG’s netcode with the first major patch and it actually got even better. Most anything under 100 ping feels extremely close to offline. DS:R was the same. SF4’s netcode can’t compare to GGPO.

Correct.
Top players, or any player that plays Fighting games with an ounce of competitiveness in it for that matter, will rarely say such thing.
They know the importance of responsiveness for fighting games. They understand how it affects the gameplay (hint: in a negative manner).
They have years of playing and can detect even 1-2 frames of lag compared to offline play. It hinders their experience of how the game should be played. Its frustrating that you have no choice but to play with input lag.

Its really astounding how so many players actually think SF4 netcode is ‘fine’ and tolerate it.
Thats pretty fucking sad that I’m in minority in the FGC if I want my inputs to be crisp responsive and as close to offline timings as possible.