Net code discussion. Rollback confirmed!

I think you’re underestimating how bad it was in SFxT. The sound would just cut out completely on startup. It made it so that it was really hard to react to things using audio cues. Not only that, sometimes you’d get counter-hit and reversal messages popping up when there weren’t any, which was problematic for twitch reacting and CH confirms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nQGaiQAdU

All these things can be avoided if the game is designed up front with the netcode in mind.

if you truly want to judge GGPO, you should give it a fair shake. By fair shake I mean playing someone you KNOW has a good connection while playing on one yourself. More often than not across the board this is a great playing session when the connection is within a certain distance. 110ms or under and the lower the better. Typically coastal play if everyone has good connections. What you can experience online is you never really know what type of connection your opponent is playing on. Wifi, share router when someone is watching netflix? those things play an impact on your connection regardless of how good yours is.

I think GGPO is amazing because under the right circumstances like I mentioned above, you can use 90 something percent of your offline ability. 20 years from now, we still won’t get perfect offline play so getting that close right now is actually pretty impressive from my perspective.

no method is perfect, I’m not a GGPO advocate but rather an advocate of what can currently do the job the best. That role isn’t filled by the input delay based sf4\umvc3 that allows less than 50% of offline play to be a factor. Maybe someday something better than GGPO comes out and I would be pushing for that instead. I wish there was a way to show people what sf4 is like online with a GGPO game like ST. Make them play under sf4 conditions vs GGPO conditions so they can see how different 1 game can be with 2 different methods of net-code.

Personally I thought SF4’s netcode was okay. Not amazing but it was effective and you could have a good fight.

SFxT’s was much worse for some reason (of what I played). I was surprised how different they were.

No idea what netcode TTT2, SC2 or VF5 have, but use that.
Also i feel lag affects street fighter more so than some other games due to the strict timing of links as opposed to say some other fighters.

SFxT online experience felt worse to me tbh, however this is probably the illusion delayed netplay creates in say SFIV, while it SFxT sometimes it skipped frames, it LOOKED smoother than SFxT.

Rollback is infinitely better than input delay, there really is no argument. SF4 with its input delay online is nothing like offline. Properly implemented rollback at least makes online quite close. Ever since GGPO came out so many years ago, input delay based netcode should have been abandoned…however somehow it has remained and even more sadly many players think it is good.

The Japanese…yeah they don’t care, if I was in Japan I wouldn’t either. Arcades everywhere, who cares about online? Plus their internet is a million times better so even when they do go online it is going to be a lot better. I’m hoping Capcom does the right thing.

what you’re seeing is the difference between input delay and roll back.

when sf4 starts having a bad connection, it kicks up the input delay to make the game seem more stable but in actuality its very bad.

GGPO doesn’t really do that, if the connection is bad, it will just roll back

ultimately what is going on is that you’re playing on a shit connection or your opponent is playing on a shit connection. It doesn’t matter what net code you use, its going to be shit. Its just one form of it looks less shit than the other but looks can be deceiving as they’re equally bad. Remember GGPO is p2p, both people have to use it responsibly for it to work as intended.

essentially, its choose your poison. Bad connections on GGPO are shit but so are sf4 bad connections. HOWEVER, GGPO under good conditions with both parties using proper net play, not fucking playing on wifi or playing on a router when someone is surfing youtube, is about 100x more playable that sf4’s best connection in Japan. The amount of good games you can get on GGPO is vastly superior in any area.

I’ll be ok with Capcom improving on the rollback netcode they used for SFxT.

Could you ask for Alex, Q, Karin, and R. Mika while you’re at it?

Dunno why people ride on the TTT2 netcode dick.
I’ve got the game here and play it now and then and online play is terrible.
There’s no rollback in TTT2, the game just starts stuttering and going slowmo when the connection sucks.
Sure it’s better than USF4 on PC (though that’s not hard) and PS3, but it’s nowhere near great.

There’s only 1 fighting game I’ve ever played that has a great netcode and that’s Skullgirls.
You can fucking do online tournaments on Skullgirls without a problem and that’s what I wish for for SFV.

Would be nice to see some more online warriors representing at Capcom Cup and other tournaments.

ttt2 isn’t really that bad online. I play it every once in a while but in the grand scheme of tiers in net-code ttt2 is up there. Which is sad honestly…That just shows you how many bad games are online within the FGC.

yes, skullgirls is AMAZING online. I had friend play and he completely forgot he was playing on the internet. I also agree with you on your wish of sfv being super great online so we can have online tournaments. That is 1 thing that separates FGC from all other esports and the only reason we’re behind is because of how the community addresses new games.

most are asking for fan service when in actuality we should be begging Capcom to get the game right + have a great online. Then once those things have been implemented rather well, then fan-service becomes the next jump. SRK, ehubs, capcomunity will not address those things as important so when Capcom asks what people want, its mostly bad players chiming in with 0 valid points as to why they should be listened to. Insert umvc3 sucks because it has megaman in it from the capcomunity board. Umvc3 is actually pretty good as a game, as far as marvel games go, but net-code is fucking shit garbage.

There is this constant battle between pro\casual when the new games come out and casual market is infinitely louder so we receive crap most of the time. I do my part to speak up but for every 1 person like, there are 200-300 people on capcomunity, ehubs, srk saying the complete opposite that a good reasonable idea gets overshadowed by the mass of noise that is the FGC.

Yup!

Really hoping they do the right thing this time around. Whether it’s GGPO or their own custom code, there’s really no excuse for not having rollback netcode this time around.

null
Are you sure about SCV using a variation of ggpo? I’ve never heard that before

When has capcom listened to fans regarding netcode?

Personally I’ve only ever heard complaints about SF4 netcode from people running shitty and/or wireless connections. Between being an online warrior for 4 years, and playing local casuals at the college, the difference is pretty insignificant. I can do combos with the same muscle memory and input timings for both scenarios. Things like marvel is one thing. The netcode for 4 though? It was pretty good considering you dont have other miscellaneous shit impeding your experience like throttling/bandwidth drought/network leeches/shitty router, etc.

They did a pretty good job with MvC:O, VRes and 3SOE.

They also put rollback in cross tekken

Those projects were handled by Capcom USA which is most definitely not handling SF5. Chances are slim if they aren’t working towards implementing from the beginning. Things to press them on at Capcom Cup.

haha I was literally guessing how many posts in before this type of comment surfaces.
they always use vague terms like ‘its playable’ ‘pretty good’ ‘its good enough’ that doesn’t mean anything whatsoever.

ahh

people should not bring up 3s as an example of good netcode implementation! yeah it’s the best netcode for 3s. the game still is only a shell of itself online under GGPO.

if 3s is used for anything it should be to point out what someone mentioned earlier - the game has to be built around online. 3s is clearly not a game that transfers well to online play. no one will ever say “you could run a tournament for 3s on GGPO netcode” lol. whereas SF4 was designed more with online play in mind so even under bad netcode people say “it’s not so bad online.”

I’m guessing most modern games have online played figured into the design decisions. whether it’s buffers, how big windows are, how fast characters move, how long you have to tech throw, I think companies are definitely factoring online in when they make decisions on these.

On a really really really solid green bar connection (within your own state), online SF4 can feel pretty close to offline. But the majority of times, it’s booty; I used to avoid any kind of online play back when I lived in Orlando (since I could just play with the local sf4 players). A yellow bar connection SF4 is a vastly different experience vs offline SF4, not even taking the delay into account.

brb can’t punish random specials online (interrupting on reaction)
brb can’t do 1f punishes online
brb AA’s trading
brb getting thrown out of shit I shouldn’t be thrown out of
brb people walking out of my safe jumps
brb brb’ing

Good netcode for fighting games needs to become a standard this generation.