Necro matchup thread

played necro for the first time in tourney, played a lot of different matchups. this is by no means complete, and by no means definitive but here goes.

also as a sidenote, outside of the chun match, i think necro is one of the best characters to outplay other characters with. any character that can’t duck his stand strong is a character you always have a chance to beat. shotos, dudley, hugo, alex, q, and urien. thats 9 matchups, or half the cast. this means you can reliably whiff punish these characters, but also makes his target combo extremely useful. because of how great stand strong is at whiff punishing, you should pick sa3 for these matchups, sa1 has a tendency to not connect at max range off a lot of important necro moves. any of these matchups i don’t put necro at worse than 4-6, which is good enough to beat these characters all the time if you outplay your opponent.

even without stand strong(the other 10 matchups), you still have plenty of tools to outplay other people with, he gives you the tools to win with. chun is the only character, though, that I feel can beat you consistently even if you manage to outplay her for the majority of the match. if you can’t whiff punish/hit confirm with necro, you should play a different character. imo, its his greatest strength as a character. i’ll add the numbers in for how i think the matchups play based on my own experiences. necro is godlike~

Hugo: 7-3 necro’s favor
sa used: sa 3

i think this is one of the harder matchups to learn how to fight. despite that, once you do it becomes a lot easier. necro’s in close mixup game doesn’t work very well against him because he can just 360 after blocking jab tornado hook, and if you don’t jump out its your ass. even if you do jump out if he does a perfectly timed backbreaker you’ll still get grabbed. not a guessing game you want to end up in. you want to play a long range battle. cr fierce, cr forward, standing forward, standing strong, and the occasional standing rh are the pokes you want to use. standing fierce works somewhat, but it doesn’t have as much priority as cr fierce it seems. NEVER PRESS cr fierce or cr forward if you ever even think there’s a slight possibility he might jump. for anti air, cr strong does a great job. make it a point to concentrate whenever jumps to pull out fierce electricity. it comes out in 10 frames, so it’ll require some foresight on your part to consistently anti air him with it. this will be your near foolproof anti air in this matchup. it goes on forever, and once he keeps parrying at a certain point it’ll cross him up. it’ll do nearly no damage, but all you want is that knockdown. position yourself afterwards, and keep zoning. NEVER LET HIM JUMP IN FOR FREE. don’t worry about hugo building meter, there’s no rush for you to stop him from doing that in this match. your meter is much more important to you than it is for him. although if he’s mindlessly doing it feel free to smack him with something. smack him and build yours at the same time. once you stock sa1, try not to use it for anti air. use it to punish whiffed st strongs and cr forwards, or after parrying one of his jump ins. if you corner him on a knockdown walk in and out of his 360 range and try to bait it. if you do, go for the elbows. i do elbow x 3, then back+strong cuz i’m a scrub. if not, then continue the gameplan. the emphasis is not so much cornering hugo, but keeping him away from you at all costs. you’ll whittle away at his lifebar and if you play this matchup right he should never be able to get up close.

edit: you can do everything sa1 does in this matchup with sa3. more often.

overall: once you learn how to play the matchup, it becomes alot easier. it requires alot of active thought to ensure he never gets in, so pay attention. match is fun to play for both sides as well:woot:

oro: 3.5-6.5 oro’s favor(probably worse but oh well)

this is another tough matchup for necro. meter is also very important for you in this match. with sa 3 stocked, any blocked ground chicken and any fireball thrown equals a free super for you. if you super right before oro actually lets out a jab fireball, you can get all 3 hits of the super in guaranteed. use cr forward to punish his whiffs. overall his ground game demolishes yours, he crouches your stand strong, and his roundhouse and forward outprioritize everything you have. b fierce can beat his far forward on occasion but its not worth the risk. i would block about 70% of the time on his wakeup. nothing you have can really beat his ex uppercut. i’ll add more in here later.

new stuff: be really really careful about jumping, even with drills. he can make drills whiff by dashing behind and launching you for free. if this happens you are fucked. up the ass. on the same note, though, you can do the same to his double jumps. dash underneath and punish.

overall: his ground game is sick against you. punish any and all mistakes as hard as you can, otherwise he’s probably going to beat you.

ibuki: 4-6 in ibuki’s favor

yea. this match sucks too. you can reversal super any raida. also you can reversal super her ex rekkas. punish parried f+mk overheads with b+shortXXjab tornado. her towards+roundhouse will whiff when you crouch, so punish her for it if she does it up close. will add more later

new stuff: haven’t played an ibuki in a long ass time…i like sa3 simply for the fact you can super her off max range pokes(b.forward is better in this match than b.strong), and you can punish her mistakes harder and more often with sa3 compared to sa1. if you down parry her slide(df+mk i think?) b+strong will whiff. punish with b+forward into whatever.

overall: despite her mobility in the air+overheads, everything is blockable and her throw is extremely short ranged. focus on your defense, and punish her hard when she overdoes her offense.

ken: 5-5 even matchup

shoto matchups aren’t nearly as bad of matchups for necro as they are for some other low tiers. i would say he goes about even with ken. stand strong is your main poke in this fight. ken’s only way to reliably counter this is by using his own far standing strong. if done at the same time they trade(nearly equal damage as well), and even if it does beat your strong you are too far away for ken to link his own sa3. you want to push ken into the corner as soon as you can. if ken is solely relying on a ground game approach, you can slowly push him back with stand strong, cr forward, and necro’s drills. blocking fireballs will always take away from your momentum, and necro needs every advantage he can get. always parry or rh/forward drill over them to keep pressure on ken. once cornered, ken is severely disadvantaged. your throws now cause twice as much damage(throw->bd.fierce) and much more stun. two of these and ken is at or above 50% stun. just stay patient, and make sure you keep him in the corner.

new stuff: max range stand strongXX sa3 is safe on block. just something to note, don’t abuse this, but it is a safefall if you fucked up. use meaty rh drill over ken’s head when you manage to get a knockdown where they can’t safe recover. depending on how you time it, it’ll make reversals fly past you. if it hits it links into his target combo. you can also mix it up by canceling it a split instant later to land behind without hitting, whiff in front, whiff on top, etc.

overall: not too much to say. play good defense(tech dash in throws, block his command overhead) and try to corner him. even if you don’t you have the footsie advantage. use it.

urien: 5.5-4.5 urien’s favor

This match can get lopsided for either character very quickly. Necro still wants to corner Urien and be near him once there, but it gets really really dangerous once Urien gets his own meter. This fight is partially fought long range, then closer(just at the tip of close range/just inside mid range).

You want to focus on Urien as soon as the round starts. At round 1, be cognizant if he wants to chase you down, or runaway and build meter. Necro isn’t too huge of a threat without meter, so its possible they may decide to rush you outright. If he’s rushing in on the ground, stand strong, stand forward, low forward, and the occasional stand fierce do a good job of keeping him out. stand rh works as preemptive aa. If he decides to jump at you, crouch strong and fierce dp do great as antiair. At the start of rounds 2 and 3 look to see if he jumps back. If he does do an immediate sa3. He’ll either block it, or he pressed something to build meter and gets hit. You’ll be safe regardless, and the reward if it hits is huge: you have him knocked down near the corner and he can’t tech roll. go to town.

If he decides to runaway, focus on building your own(back+strong and back+forward), while at the same time punishing his attempts to do the same. Don’t let him do stand fierce, you can counter it clean with stand strongXX super. You need to wait for it come out fully, otherwise you will lose the exchange clean. It counter hits from almost half screen away, so make sure you learn the timing on this. Slowly inch your way to the corner, he should be heading there if he’s whoring meter.

Once you reach the corner you should have at least one stock of super. DON’T let him get away. You’ll have to do all the work of cornering him again, which was hard enough as it is. For me, I try to condition the Urien player to not block/parry so I can land db fierce x whatever(usually 3 for me). Soften him up with throws, throw baits(free elbow), and the occasional meaty. Get him conditioned to think you will throw the majority of the time, and pop him with elbows when he does something to try to counter it(wake up jump, headbutt, knee drop, etc.). Things may vary alot here depending on your playstyle, but I feel this is the most efficient thing to do in the corner.

Now all this sounds great, but urien can fuck up necro hard with one touch. he gets crossed up on the ground anywhere on the screen by urien if you tech roll, so save tech rolling strictly for avoiding aegis unblockables. he can also get pushed out of the corner at any time, which is terrible against aegis reflector.

overall: More likely than not, you will be the one who has to chase in this match. push him to the corner, but pay extra attention once you reach it: both characters have massive low risk/high reward options near the corner. Exploit yours while limiting his.

yun:
lates
makoto:
lates

PC~

Good stuff. I’ma have to look into the reversing EX qcb+K thing.

Yeah…I did some testing in training mode and it seems you can reverse Ibuki’s EX kicks with SA3 regardless of how she mixes up the motions. You must have just been mistiming it during casuals at C3. SA3 is a crazy SA as far as reversing moves it seems. I remember watching Aruka vs. some Necro players and he pretty much never uses EX kicks on Necro and now I understand why. Unfortunately I didn’t figure it out till way too late. :razz:

one thing I want you test for me (I guess I test it for myself later though)

Can Necros Sa 3 beat out Oros Sa 2 if you throw it after Oros flash. I think it should. I want to know if Oro needs to back throw to setup a corner unblockable on Necro. I’m still not sure which super i like more for this match up with Oro. Sa 2 is good but landing a mid screen chicken is just unlikely, due to necro’s drills. I like keeping necro out in middle where I can control the match with Oro. It is more likely that i will land a random standing medium punch and then EX tengu, then having to try and confirm into chicken for the unblockable loop. Both supers are good anti-airs vs necro. Sa 2 has the better setup in the corner i guess, but Sa 3 makes the whole screen viable for Oro in this match up.

You do not need to backthrow Necro with Oro, 'cause you can cross Necro up in the corner either way. Also, of course electric snake will beat out yagyou dama… Yagyou has a lot of start-up after the super flash, I’m pretty sure you can use any super on reaction and beat it. Oro shouldn’t just be randomly doing that super anyway. :lol:

if your not doing yagou on a knockdown on necro, then he can beat you out. he can prolly still beat you out with a wakeup super unless its something can’t tech roll out of. If you have necro near a corner, why not throw random fierce yagou. It keeps him in the corner and gives him only a few options of escaping. but back throw gives you enough frames to start the super in the corner. of course electric snake beats it , everything beats it. But i think you should have ample time to throw electric snake even after the flash and the super is out.

If your not going to use it randomly to control space, or use a knockdown setup, yagou is pretty useless. Necro is not vulerable in the air to s.mp when he drill kicks. even if you dash under him. crossing necro up in the corner is great but there is nothing stopping necro from breating out the super on the ground unless he is knocked down or without bar.

I think switching your Super would make about 90% of the match-ups you posted a hell of a lot easier.

SA1 is a must-have against Yun, Ibuki, and Oro. Once you’re stocked Yun is completely unable to dive-kick again, which eliminates a great deal of his abilities. Also, it puts a big risk on his Genei-Jin mixups because it blows through all of his pokes, making his block-strings unsafe. Against Ibuki, she can no longer use knife pressure, kick-uppercut or or jump-cancel “chasing” because you can just reversal Super right through them. And of course Oro gets eaten up any time he tries to double-jump past your anti-air defenses, because of the Magnetic properties of said Storm.

For Makoto, depending on the opponent SA1 may be the answer as well. Like I posted a hundred years ago in the “I’m a sellout” pro-Slamdance thread, some characters just keep crowding you and Necro can’t do much about it. SA1/2 are the answer to that. SA1 beats axe-kick pressure and a lot of other high-priority attacks Makoto has, safely and completely. Also, there’s no risk of getting karakusa’d, worst case scenario she blocks and you have to get the hell out of the way. Now the 50/50 is in your favour.

I use Slam Dance, me. But that’s because I’m ridiculous. Even I would never use SD against Makoto’s SA2 though, that ruins the corner trap.

N - Slam Dance also beats Gigas Breaker. Clean. Even if you activate first.

i think tengu stone is better vs necro .
becuase necro can escape of unblockable (weak up flying viper)
sa1 beat yagou … and necro can hit yarou with a s.fierce if you not make a jab firebal first… or predict this with flying viper .

i use sa1 vs oro …you can stop a jab fireball with sa1 in reaction from the right distance.

i never really thought about slam dance seriously against hugo, but i’m really liking the idea.

vs urien
i Believe this match up is in necro favor (the match up list say is 4-6)
the most of people say about this match up 2 Things…urien have advantage because the priority of poking moves …and because necro take a lot of damage of unblockeable mix ups and urien corner stuffs
i agree whit this but if you play safe is really hard for urien hit you.
use c.forward and c.strong for poking … necro c.forward lose vs urien c.forward but you can hit urien c.forward whit a c.fierce or a s.fierce
use s.forward , c.roundhouse and c.jab …c.jab is really good vs urien if urien parry this move.is he can’t hit you…about urien dash …if urien dash on you …grab him …always pay atention if you see a carge partition parner because he can do a jab head butt after this dash.
you can control the match in midscreen if you have solid poking game …the only move you can’t hit is the tackle move …vs tackle move only jump back and punish whit a j.roundhouse>sa3
in your corner game…if you can corner a urien player pay atention in 3 Things
1-urien grab
2-jab head butt
3-round house knee move

always try stay out of urien grab …because he own you if he get a grab>sa3>mix up , jab head butt whiff vs necro but if he see you do a move like UOH he hit you…if you go for a grab mix up and he do a jab head butt he can grab you before of your recovery.
round house knee move is really good for urien …you can’t do so much vs this out c.roundhouse , walk>s.strong xxsa3 …or anticipating whit a b.fierce or bd.fierce …some times if you do a b.fierce (no meaty) this move hit your arm but you are stand up and urien land in front of you
if you are nock down …this is bad the most of time urien do overhead/low moves like t.fierce or
c.roundhouse …you can reversal this whit a sa3 …but is a bad position after all
if you block a tackle>punish this whit a sa3…if the guy cancel this tackle whit a ex aegis …dash
Between aegis and next urien move…if urien try a tackle move …can hit your but is unsafe if you only block
if for any reason you are in the corner and urien go for aegis mix up…that is really bad only try block …try concetrate only in urien sprites this can help you . some times is better make a weak up flying viper you get some damage but this is better vs a stand up overhead >corner juggle
if urien do a unblockeable on you…see the sa/life meter …if urien have enough meter for do other unblockeable is better do a weak up flying viper if not try parry …start whit a down parry and you need guess the urien next move some times you can parry 3 -4 times and grab urien Between unblockeable moves
one bad shit about necro vs urien is the jumping cross up in the corner …try escape from this whit flying viper move or jumping away

excuse me bad english

I agree with SAI on Hugo, although SAIII works well too. For oro i allways use SAI simply because it keeps him out of your face, also he has a lot of jump in mind games which can be countered with a nice b. mp x SAI. Also he has a long stun meter :frowning:

Same with ibuki. SAI again. She is in the air a lot.
SAIII for ken every time.
SAI for yun every time, once again hes in the air a lot and 1 SAI takes a lot of damage on such a small guy.
Agree with SAIII on makoto, because if she gets stunned in the corner! Oh boy its a b.mp db.hp fest!

I play an…ERM…“unortho” Necro but I basically agree w/ stances on super picks here.

I mostly use SAI but I’m working on SAIII corner rape. SAIII is overall considered best and some good players will even consistently use it where we’d recommend SAI.

SAI is basically against ppl w/ good air games or jump-in games, I trust.

SAI: twins, Akuma, Ibuki, Twelve, Oro, Elena

SAIII: Urien, Remy, Ryu, Ken, Makoto, Alex, Sean, Q

Hugo, Chun, and Dudley might require either super??? Some argue that Hugo and Dudley are kept out very well by SAI, and; it should be used cos they have long stun meters, and that Chun should be hit as hard as possible, whenever possible (SAI again).

For Makoto, though, I wonder if SAI keeps her at bay better, yet there’s a slight chance she can command-grab you out of the start-up, right?

I would use SAIII on akuma and elena. Simply because 1 corner combo with SAIII and akuma is stunned/dead. Also you can land 2 SAIII on elena from mid screen which comes in handy :slight_smile:

SA1 limits Dudley to dashing in to get to you and his jump-ins are difficult to defend against to begin with, since jump RH can hit early and still stun for a long time, while jump FP can be done really really late – and then he has his feints.

Unless they’re Exodus, and they parry all 20+ goddamn hits with like 95% consistency, it’s a good way to limit his options.

Safer just to throw. That move has no recovery, so she can just block/parry that.

About the Oro match-up, SA3 will punish his s. RH if it’s blocked.
Also, it’s interesting to note that SA1 is fast enough to punish a crouch-blocked s. MP (1-hit)/s MK, which seriously limits his safe damage options when you have meter.

i dont know about america or canida, but in japan about 50% of all the players i go up against can parry that and electric snake too. I dont know who the hell Exodus is, so i guess he is one of the few who could more than 5 hits in the west…

'Yeah…I was just thinking: “ELENA isn’t that big a threat in the air!” haha. That show shows you right there how longs it’s been since I’ve fought an Elena, period :confused:

Parrying the super itself isn’t so bad if players remember to be careful of doing any jump but an empty jump when it’s stocked. I have NO idea how to parry SAI after I’ve been reset, though (hard to tell when it touches you, but maybe spamming until I get a parry is worth trying at least once?).

i completely forgot about this thread, thank god for random bumps. i don’t think as a straight up conventional antiair sa1 works. you need to combo into it/reset to get any decent damage, otherwise people will parry enough of it where it becomes more of a nuisance than anything.

the ibuki punish combo works for me, she can’t block it. you can replace the hook with a super.

good look on the oro info

lmao @ iparryu’s “from the west” comment

i’ll go ahead and add to the first post for kicks.

…there was nothing random about it…purely methodical at this point :smiley: lol. IParryU started making references to old threads and some old posts of his and I did a background check on Necro, you know.

ya, good job on that rock.

but about that from the west comment, why is that funny? that was more serious talk i think… Was i trying to make a joke? i dunno, too long ago. but ya