Nash Q&A Thread

I get stuffed consistantly by shoto jumping HK uing cr medium. It also loses to every divekick i’ve tried it against.

If an opponent is jumping right from midscreen it’s pretty easy to anti-air with any of his AA normals. It’s only when you run into close range and cross-up range where you need to think about which button to press. You also have to factor in character moves that change their hurtbox or alter their trajectories. Personally, I find s.Forward the most consistent AA at mid-to-close ranges.

You have to understand: good =/= easy

His anti airs are all situational and I agree it can be hard at times to pick out the right one, but if properly used, they can be very effective at shutting out most jump attempts in the neutral game.

I have a question to ask as well. I know his EX SS is not invincible, but I’ve heard somewhere that it has some upper body invincibility. I can’t seem to find confirmation anywhere so can anyone confirm this?

Until we get a hitbox viewer, we’ll have to trust the information in the official guide, which states that there are 6 upper body invincibility frames. Here’s the blurb from the guide:

http://i.imgur.com/Ns8Ityx.png

Can find all hitboxes and hurtboxes / frame data for the entire roster on one of Dantarion’s sites.
Here’s Nash’s EX SS for example: http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_1/A4B-SONICSCYTHE_EX-0
6 startup frames, upper body / grab invincibility during first 6 frames. (frame 0 counts as first frame, frame 5 is thus 6 frames startup.)

Have a question regard his jumping sobat (f+MK) and step kick (f+HK). According to the frame data, the step kick has the same number of startup frames as the sobat, more active frames and less recover frames. Not to mention its slightly even better on block (-2 as opposed to the sobat -3). I tested the range and both are pretty much the same.

I’m just getting into looking at frame data so maybe I analysed something wrong here. But it seems the step kick is just better to use in general than the sobat. I could be wrong so seeking some help here.

Frame data here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1976rt8B91PqVCeYJAmcnW1uwVJ0H03QJtV-dJC5ohL8/htmlview?sle=true#

EDIT: ok so i just discovered the sobat is considered airborne and has advantage of going over lows.

what’s up with Nash players doing st.lp st.mp on wakeup? seems to work quite often vs solid players
do you guys do this on wakeup?

According to the guide, there are technically no airborne frames on this move. Just a high hitbox that’ll typically crush lows. I noticed when this move gets stuffed, Nash never air resets, he’ll remain grounded.

Also CH f+MK, LP>MP Target Combo will combo at the right spacing whereas you can typically only link a jab on counter hit after f+HK outside of meaty situations. Overall I think f+HK is still a better poke, it also has the advantage of being VT cancellable, dishes out bigger damage and stun than f+MK and is harder to whiff punish.

I believe it’s when it looks like someone is going to go for a throw.
Throws are used quite a lot right now and being 5 frames means they get beat out by hitting jab. Also you can potentially get a combo from a counterhit st.LP.

Take with a pinch of salt though, I’ve doing so bad lately I most likely shouldn’t be trying to give advice/info. :frowning:

f. MK does have airborne frames, just like f. LK. Neither of them get immediate airborne frames but rather far into the startup before the active frames start.
You can test this because a meaty f. MK / f.LK if timed right to hit meaty during their airborne frames, it stuffs out every wake-up option that grapplers have. Now, there’s better buttons for this such as a meaty st. HP / meaty grab. But a properly timed meaty f. MK / f. LK will also beat stuff like Zangief’s wake-up super.

Here’s the hitboxes of f. MK f.ex. - It starts its’ airborne frames 10 frames into the startup of it: http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_1/A4B-SOBAT-9 (that’s the 10th frame there, counter starts at 0, you can view all hitboxes / hurtboxes on this site frame-by-frame)

Here’s where f. LK starts being airborne, on the 7th frame (same frame that it goes active): http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_1/A4B-KNEEBAZOOKA-6

I’ve been hearing about hp sonic boom oki, but haven’t been able to find anything. How does it work?

Check the combo/tech thread, page 3 or 4. Heavy_Mental posted up some really great stuff involving a corner setup off hk SS.

where is infiltration on the leaderboard?

Who does everyone think is a good secondary character to learn for some of Nash’s tougher match-ups? I know it’s early days and the match-ups are still being figured out but there are some characters who Nash obviously struggles against more than others (for me personally anyway) e.g. Dhalsim, Laura…

That is something I’ve been thinking about before release. While right now there are no match ups that I see he gets bodied in, having a 3 frame jab would be nice…

I have a question regarding Jump MK, I see its 0 frame advantage on it yet I’m able to use it as a hit confirm(trying on dummy set at guard after first hit) so I’m a little confused now?

Jump attacks have variable frame advantage due to differing heights of the attack. The amount of block/hit stun is the same but if you’re close to the ground you will recover before they do.

Not all characters have a 3f jab and Nash having one gives him more combo options than he should so that’s probably why he doesn’t get one. He has a 4f jab, which is fine and still used for the same purpose. You shouldn’t view Nash not having a 3f jab as a crutch because people who like to use their 3f jab as an interrupt too much get blown up harder with meaties and frame traps. Learning solid defense and utilizing his other tools is just fine. You also have some of the best neutral tools in the game so it’s really your own fault if they get in and run offense.

I think you missed the context. He was answering a question about pocket characters.

I’m really starting to fucking doubt the validity of EX-Scythe having start up invincibility on the upper body. I eat jump in mk’s all fucking day; eat standing normals ALL DAY. The fuck is this move invincible? Nash’s anti-air game is straight up horseshit.