MVCI Bar and Lounge: Maximum Carnage Xmas Special

I don’t think anyone is saying that Disney is solely to blame. However, imagine if those same PR blunders had happened or do happen to DBFZ. I can’t imagine the FGC reacting the same way. I highly doubt seeing an image of Broly on a pro player’s T.V. is going to put any kind of dent in the hype of the fan base. I also don’t see people getting seriously bothered if base Vegeta and Goku are revealed for DLC. DBFZ has great visualsand a great roster. From what we’ve heard Marvel is the main reason why MvCI is lacking in those areas. Of course people want the Capcom roster to be more robust, but people complain way more about the Marvel side of the roster.

90s versus games promote the marvel properties on TV and comic books the most.

MvC3 was literally Capcom vs Earth’s Mightiest Hero with a couple of xmen.

Act surprised that MvCi focuses on the IPs in theaters.

Any time you complain about the roster (which is full of awesome tools all around) you forget what the series roster has always been about.

Disney/Marvel is high key to blame with the roster and look of mvci. Very High key, this was almost like a side project they that they have never promoted properly or along with there other brands, while requesting that certain things be in the game or look a certain way.

I don’t think capcom planned on putting a lot of money into the game in the 1st place. However that combined with Character requirements and look requirements didn’t help. The gameplay however is top notch and has that great marvel feel. Not enough though…

I play many marvel games and follow marvel very close, from there console to mobile to board and card games. And I can tell you that they cross promote everything HEAVILY. They never really did that with mvci, its there…but its not promoted and it follow the guidelines of all there other games where there are either no xmen or very few or they aren’t promoted.

Marvel is terrible when it comes to games, however they use to have a very hands off approach to letting people make games using there characters. Since the MCU is insanely popular now and the drama they had with the x-men and fox they are much more picky in what they want out there. Pretty much demanding certain looks and characters be used.

How can anyone think that capcom would take mainstays and the most popular characters OUT of a game just because? That makes no sense, the x men and FGC was so popular that umvc3 literally had shout out to the fgc in the game.

It was cool to hate on mvci from the jump and it was made easy to do so even more because of the situation the game was in.

That being said, congrats on MvCI on having me main my first Capcom characters. Maybe it’s a sign that the engine needs a new partner. Hell give me a blown Capcom vs SNK done in this style or like I said in another forum, take a page from Arcsys, get that Naruto license.

None of this is wrong, but I do find it funny that Fox hasn’t won EVO for three years.

Yeah, the FGC really made something special out of MvC2. The developers definitely didn’t plan on it becoming what it became. Capcom is much more connected to the FGC, hence why MvC3 formalized many of the gameplay elements established by players. Disney has no clue what the MvC series has become and what it means to them. Competitive gaming isn’t really on their radar. They still see it as a product that fits into a wider network of other products, not one of the pillars of the FGC.

This interview from June should be very telling of what Disney thinks eSports is about.

Considering how the FGC seems to universally hate “Games as a Service” models and paint Capcom as the worst offenders of it…yeah.

Which is why I mentioned the concept being more novel back in the day helped.

The concept alone was enough, but was always made by doing the minimum amount of work.

It’s apparent when you look at MvC2, it is a hodgepodge of a decades worth of sprites, some random 3d backgrounds, and random jazz music. It got to where it was because of the community based solely on the gameplay.

Yeah, I’ve had discussions with other people and we agreed that MVC2 is the best example of “happy accident” you can think of because on paper that game had every right to be a complete disaster especially since the other Vs games came and went with no lasting factor. I think a big reason it had so much time to get hype though is that the FGC dried up not long after it came out so people didn’t really have anything else they could play to scratch that particular itch. There was just something magic about that game, and people say that DBFZ has that same magic but MVC2 isn’t just what it is because of 3-on-3 and assists. It’s magic because it has everything going against it but somehow, in that brew of undesirables, the end result tasted good.

The random jazz music was a pretty big turnoff for me back in the day though, because I thought most of the CPS2 music was incredible. Remember when people would bring their DCs and like every copy of MVC2 had custom tracks? Those custom tracks made the game easier to swallow for me.

Well, being an old head, I’m glad for the failure of this game. Probably means we wont get another attempt, but with Capcom doing what they have to these franchises, nothing of value is lost.

I just feel bad for my dude that bought me a copy to get me to play. Game plays well enough, but these days that effort, or lack thereof can’t be excused. Despite what people claim about MVC2, the oldest sprites were 6 years old when that game was made, Darkstalkers and XMEN COTA sprites were from 1994. In MVC1 there are still assests from TVC, that’s the same Ryu, Chun, Morrigan, at least… Probably same returning character MVC3 character models. Just with new shaders. That is using 10 year old data, in this gen, no less.

They deserve it. Just put Alpha 2 online in this damn collection, bring out all the pre MVC3 VS games consolized with online, and maybe you will be #winning again.

Tekken still uses data from Tekken 1.

There’s plenty of reason to hate on MvCI, but using old shit is not one of them. Only hypocrites believe it should.

Those old games won’t sell worth shit.

A Vs collection happened, and MvC2 re-launched few years before.

These games aren’t the saviors fans believe. People have to remember where these fall in the historical pecking order.

Obvious stuff, but still.

Real talk, even if they were redone with updated graphics I don’t think they’d sell like that. Frankly they just did what they always did
with the vs series. They took a chance and tried to reinvent it yet again. It’s not just the presentation, it’s the gameplay that people keep
saying they love. Sorry, people can see past all the other shit if the gameplay is truly that good. History has proven it.

Tekken is never cheaply or lazily presented.

Like Markman said, even though Capcom wants to keep the lights on and players would still go to it, a third party is keeping them from trying to turn things around, at least at the moment.

Unfortunate it won’t be on the CPT, though. I think this just further drives home the fact that Disney doesn’t understand the finer nuances of an FGC game. SFV didn’t do well upon release either but when it became clear support was going to be regular, its sales turned around and now it’s approaching the target it had for itself in the first place. A Fighting Game isn’t like a platformer or an adventure game: a fighting game has the potential to sustain itself long after the game releases because every fighting game that comes out has the potential to breed a community that will keep playing it and supporting it.

“Games as a service” only works in the FGC if you show you’re willing to get behind a game you release full force, and inhibiting the developers from doing that is micromanaging that guarantees failure. In any franchise, the CEO needs the discipline to step away and let the administrators do their job.

I have MVCO and MVC2 on 360. My favorite is XVSF, which is not released since ps1 which was unplayable. I still get tourneys popping off in that shit. The main reason I would want re-releases again, (and the only way I would support Capcoms cash grab) is because, is anyone really playing the previous systems anymore, especially online? Plus relaunches get old heads back into things for a while as well as the new let me watch videos and look up framedata generation, which I’ll be happy to fight their robotic asses too for a good month or 2 of solid online.

The thing is, this game isnt on the CPT, there haven’t been any recent big events, even evo looks absent. MVC3/UMVC3 had channels every week and high counts of viewers, this one isn’t just below average but it is getting lower and lower. Lets not forget that our top players are all leaving or just shelfing this as a 2nd rate show type.

I don’t want this game to die because i think it’s a good game but I can’t run from the facts anymore.