MVCI Bar and Lounge: Maximum Carnage Xmas Special

I see the carefully planned product placement.

Basically. Although it wonā€™t matter to some people (who have apparently also bought the game and regularly talk about strats for it any way), itā€™s good to have a Marvel game that isnā€™t shitted on competitively by most of the old heads. Thatā€™s a good step for getting it to be a game that doesnā€™t have as much in fighting and people disrespecting it within its own community.

Iā€™ve seen games go through worse shit and still survive to some degree. KI made it to 3 Evos despite being on a system that made people talk about you like a you were a criminal on launch. Marvel hasnā€™t been through anything that bad singularly, but what it has survived overall is enough to see it get through this.

Like said earlier, there was similar rhetoric for SFV (and KI) and they found ways out.

How would DBZF distract anyone? If anything, depending on how well the game does, youā€™ll see MORE comparisons and shame thrown Marvelā€™s way since people will be comparing the two. Marvel is dead. No wait. Marvel lives in DBZF. I can see it now.

Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 were supposed to kill SFV and both games donā€™t bring the stream views or tourney numbers of SFV at this date. Injustice 2 being dead is already a meme and that game sold a bazillion copies. In my local scene the game is already considered dead and that shouldnā€™t happen for something that is doing what fighting games ā€œshould beā€ doing.

DBZF will do particularly well, but with Marvelā€™s history there is no way DBZF is just going to run over Marvel in the FGC. There will be a fight and itā€™s going to be an interesting one.

In general though, fighting games are all dead compared to other genres of games. Fighting over which ones are dead or not dead is the same stuff that keeps the scene from really getting anywhere. Sales talk only really drives the issue of comparing and fighting over games.

Very rarely does sales talk actually go anywhere good. Itā€™s essentially a mini version of the system wars youtube arguments that never go anywhere and always lead to great things like talking about your mom and racial slurs. Which even in this very thread that has already happened in part. In the end none of the platforms die and people keep bitching about them.

The only thing you canā€™t say DBZ is doing better is character rosterā€¦because its literally Goku vs SSGoku vs SSSGoku vs Purple Goku vs Black Goku vs Gohan vs Old Gohan vs Vegeta vs Vegeto vs kamehameha guy number 20. Iā€™m a fan of DBZ and Iā€™m excited for the game, but even I think the fact that thereā€™s like 20 Gokus is lazy as shit.

BUt yeah I"m waiting on those posts as wellā€¦truth be told the DBZ dev team gets to learn from the mistakes of Capcom in this regard. Its why DBZ at launch will most likely be a better gameā€¦and servers will crash lol!

The crazy part is that DBZF is actually more diverse than previous offerings. Itā€™s just if the tiers go a certain way, expect to see what you typed up being ran at tournaments and people complaining about it. People complain enough about tiers in other games, wait till you see them complain about tiers based on a game that has a lore with all kinds of in fighting and regular fights that break out over Superman vs Goku. Superman vs Goku might as well be a religious battle.

The stream chats for DBZF matches will be new levels of unreadable.

So you think Goku Black is lazy huh? Seriously, I want to hear you say it.

Why does everything eventually go back to DBZ, or ā€œdead game is deadā€?

Am I the only person left who plays Marvel because itā€™s a fighting game with Marvel comics characters run on a Capcom engine? I feel like that was the big selling point in the 90s, along with the flashiness. Not because itā€™s a so called ā€œanime gameā€.
I.e. the serieā€™s base, like me, doesnt really have a competing interest in playing a Dragonball Z game.

No, I like the game, too.

Itā€™s just that a lot of people stir the pot, so they drown out people like you.

Marvel never was just a fighting game. Even the best of the pros will say they started loving the game because you had X-men and crazy Marvel shit like Blackheart fighting Bison and Megaman, not because he looked at the game and thought ā€œholy shit, you can air dash in 8 different directions!ā€.
DBFZ is being made with love and care. People will look at it and WANT to break the game.

I first got into Marvel when CoTA was the only fighting game at the arcade at summer camp that I used to attend.
Tried it out because it had XMen characters and was blown away on how different it was than SF, and I was a huge SF nerd back then.
They could have been DC characters for all I care, I inistantly fell in love with the mechanics.

The unadulterated joy and excitement that hit my adolescent face when I first saw a MvC2 cabinet at a Chuck E. Cheese is not present when I play Infinite. Two completely different emotions. Youā€™re right though. I play/played Marvel because I love Marvel comics. However, a lot of what I love about Marvel, both as a videogame and comic book series, is NOT present in Infinite.

One of the reasons why I think John D probably said what he said is because thereā€™s probably some sourness with Marvel.

You gotta remember that heā€™s the Esports guy. Based on the fact that there were legal issues with Marvel that made streaming BFTS on Capcom Fighters pretty much impossible, you can already tell that things were going awry. Combine that with the sales and yeah, itā€™s easy to see how one would be so quick to write that game off in the midst of SFVā€™s reawakening. Thing is, they canā€™t blame anyone but themselves for that. BFTS seemed like a quick tournament that was put together in like a few hrs, so Iā€™m not surprised it ended up having a bumpy ride. The Esports leak definitely wasnā€™t a good look, either.

Going forward, they need to focus on actually promoting their events properly and opening the lines of communication. During the MVC3 days, you had Seth, Niitsuma, and Sven, whom were always (more so Seth and Sven) available to answer questions and concerns about the game. You donā€™t have that anymore. Asking Ono questions on Twitter about Marvel doesnā€™t mean much because itā€™s not a game heā€™s actively involved in. The only other sources are the CPT guys, and theyā€™re all Esports only.

Based on my experiences, MVCI contains the addictive gameplay that Iā€™ve always enjoyed the Vs series. The only thing I wish was better was the roster. I feel like a much better roster and better visuals would fix the majority of this gameā€™s issues. Now of course, considering this game looks like console Contest of Champions (very likely a Marvel decision just like the OST changes), Iā€™m not so sure the visuals can be altered based on its artstyle. That would probably require a complete overhaul. That just isnā€™t happening. Like Iā€™ve always said, I feel like the gameā€™s look wouldā€™ve been much better if they followed the artstyle of the concept art.

Oh iā€™m not trying to downplay DBZF at all. That is the funny part. Like a gigantic roster of characters but 10 of them look exactly the same. Now playstyle wise they all seem pretty different which is a good thing. Its like current Mortal Kombats. All the clone characters either play different or were mashed together as one character.

Its lazy. Should have just put Zamasu as his own character instead. Instead we get Black and Rose Gold Goku to go with Sky Blue Goku. Althouhg Iā€™m certain I missed a trailer, did they have one for Goku Black yet? The upside is we know that this isnā€™t taking the place of another character. So even though Iā€™m not a fan and wonā€™t use him, at least heā€™s there!

Only Jump scans. But Black fight pretty differently than Goku with scythe and clones and shit.

No, playing the game because you like it is fine. However, you ARE acting like a bitch by responding like that and going back to DBZ despite me not even referencing it because I called the game out for being a failure. I play the game because I like it too, but youā€™re delusional if you think MvCI has a bright future after a disastrous marketing campaign, poor impression, and rushed tournament debut. If someone asks me right now if they should go play Marvel or Guilty Gear to get into a fast-paced fighting game, the best thing I can say about Marvel is that youā€™ll probably find online matches so long as youā€™re playing on PS4. Unless the community kicks the esports addiction and goes back to an old-school grassroots circuit, this game will end up like SFxT. This isnā€™t a statement on Marvel players so much as it is an observation on the state of the game and its community.

reads last two pages

goes back to play Marvel

reads last two pages

goes back to play Marvel because the gameplay (you know?, the most important part of a game) is absolutely amazing

no youre not the only one. most people playing the game and even posting in this thread are only here cuz its hype or it has a spotlight on it or for esports of whatever, theyll leave when the next thing comes around. i love dbz and i like the way the game looks but i dont love dbz fighting games. i love marvel vs capcom. its why im even on srk (the second time around).