Morrigan Matchup Thread

My friend uses Wolv + drones against my Morrigan all the time, and I was having a lot of trouble against him at first until I learned to deal with him. Zoning him is really the key, stay in the air and toss fireballs at him. If the drones come out, airdash up over them. If you find yourself on the ground and Wolverine is closing the distance on you, try jumping back to avoid his attack and toss a fireball down into him. Whatever you do, don’t block too much, Wolverine doesn’t have a lot of trouble opening people up if they just block. Morrigan has such good evasive manuevers, air dash away from him and keep pelting fireballs at him. If you do plan on rushing him down, I would go for aerial approaches where you can catch him by surprise and open him up more easily.

Air dashing up from a distance is a great way to setup a safe cross-up, and it works better than a forward air dash IMO, mainly because she’s much safer the higher she is in the air and has a less chance of being hit out of her air dash. So if Wolverine uses Sent drones to cover his approach, you can simply jump and airdash up to avoid the drones and land an overhead on Wolverine. Using J.:h: crosses him up nicely, and then you can follow into your bnb. If Wolverine blocks the overhead, try throwing a st.:l: right after to try and open him up. Calling an assist right before the cross-up also makes it very hard for Wolverine to react when he’s being sandwiched from both sides.

Also if you find yourself getting cornered by his attacks and you can’t find room to do anything against him, use advancing guard and then toss out finishing shower. That move is seriously good at creating space, it’s worth the 1 bar. Once he’s far away, start zoning him again. Having a projectile/beam assist helps your zoning game a lot.

You’re right. My bad. I posted most of this stuff at like…4:00am so I probably wasn’t right in the head. I’ll update it now with new stuff that people put.

no worries brah. its all good <3

I’d also like to thank everyone for their input in everything. I’m updating this as much as I can with new info that anyone finds. Sooo…Keep the strats coming!!!

Thanks for the tips on the Wolverine matchup guys. Gonna work on my zoning game with Morrigan instead of always trying to rush people down.

IMO, zoning Trish with Morrigan is not such a bad idea. Her projectiles have a very long startup time, all of them have a much longer startup time than Morrigan, except for her fastest version which gets beaten by Soul Fist. Combine it with Astral Vision, and Trish will be forced to move in closer. If she tries to use her electric hyper to plow through you, you can use Shadow Servant on reaction to beat her out of it and punish her as long as you’re not a full screen away from her. As long as you’re a little bit closer than full screen, Shadow Servant can still connect on the last hit and save Morrigan from eating damage. I prefer doing this rather than trying to rush her down, since Morrigan’s going to have a bit of a tough time dealing with her traps, her large range, and round harvest hitting her out of the air.

Also I used to hate fighting Wesker, I found it hard to rush him down. But I was surprised to find that zoning him with Morrigan works so well even with his teleport, it’s so fun to lame him out. The goal against Wesker is to always keep fireballs on the screen. Flight-cancelling soul fists, and Astral vision help immensely in gaining screen control and having atleast 1-2 fireballs on the screen at all times. Fireballs stuff his teleport attempts since they don’t track, and they stuff his Maximum Wesker so bad! It’s very useful if your opponent likes throwing Maximum Wesker from anywhere on the screen to try and punish you.
You really have to make sure to keep moving though. Air dash away from him, over him, but just don’t stay in the same place otherwise he can catch you with his projectile counter.

As I’m sure many of you know, Morrigan has the smallest crouching stance in the game, meaning odd things happen when she is crouching. In the Magneto and Storm matchup be careful as they can dash right through you when you are crouching, so be aware not to get tagged by a sudden cross-up from the ground. Also Morrigan can duck things like Haggar’s jumping pipe and Doom’s Plasma Beam and Sentinel’s crouching spit iirc.

how do you morrigan players punish a blocked hulk gamma crush? i pretty much always unfly or just block it when it inevitably comes, but sometimes he just blocks my punishes >.<

EDIT: i’m asking about ultimate, by the way. i know his gamma crush is pretty unsafe, but he pushes himself back some and is airborne for a little bit.

After he goes up, air dash under where he will land and catch him from behind.

Ohh I never thought of that. I always just ground dash forward and try to get him with a shell kick. Sometimes it lands and I get a combo, but sometimes he blocks it :frowning:
What about when you unfly and actually block the 2nd part of the attack?

If I’m not wrong, you can catch him after blocking the second part with st.H, then go into cr.H -> S -> whatever you like.

here’s my two cents on some morrigan matchups.
[LIST]
[*]
Amaterasu

Spoiler

i’ve had success mashing vector drain :h: during her :f: + :h: spam.

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Captain America

[details=Spoiler] i don’t like this match for morrigan: Cap has a command normal AND two hypers that eat projectiles, and his shield throw pretty much stuffs morrigan’s standard gameplan. at cerain distances, hyper charging start Vs. shadow servant results in a stale-mate, and morrigan is left at a disadvantage with her recovery. if cap is far enough, SS will beat hyper charging star.
[*]someone said that cap controls the ground and can’t do anything against airborne opponents. if that’s the case, morrigan can stay in the air all she wants. good, patient morrigans should be able to do fine in this match, but it’s probably best to leave this fight to one of your other teammates.[/details]

[*]
Chun-Li

Spoiler

this matchup annoys me for a couple reasons: chun li players tend to super jump, double jump, and them triple jump/do an air move to ruin the trajectory of morrigan’s offense. one thing we know is chun will relentlessly try to rush you down with her one-way air dash. :f: + :m: might work well here.

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Doctor Doom

Spoiler

when doom players inevitably super jump with finger lazers, fly, finger lazers, finger lazers (got you!), super jump and do :h: soul fist, fly, :h: soul fist. if you have astral vision, you’ll combo 4 soul fists together AND stop doom’s spamming. it’s possible to get a combo from those full screen air soul fists, but it’s difficult.

[*]
Doctor Strange

Spoiler

make sure to always be flying so you can unfly and hopefully punish his spell of vishanti hyper. astral vision is an option, because the fireball that the clone throws sometimes makes his 7 rings (projectile counter hyper) activate the wrong way; i wouldn’t count on it, though.

[*]
Dormammu

[details=Spoiler] i consider this a good matchup for morrigan. it’s very easy for her to get out of dorm’s full screen pillar spam with a :h: shadow blade and then get right in his face with a fly, air dash for a seemingly free combo.
[]morrigan can crouch his full screen chaotic flame and not take any chip.
[
]it’s possible for morrigan to super jump and air dash around his stalking flare to hit him, but it’s not the easiest thing in the world.[/details]

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Ghost Rider

Spoiler

two words: Astral Vision. once you get your spamming going, don’t let up.

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Hawkeye

Spoiler

astral vision spam is better than hawkeye’s spam, but it’s difficult to activate and get your fireballing started. call an assist, or do whatever you have to do to get astral vision pressure going. always be flying to unfly inevitable gimlet shots.

[*]
Hulk

[details=Spoiler] great matchup for morrigan! if my opponent is using hulk on point, i always switch to morrigan on point because she can beat his grab/st. :h: option select by canceling the breakaway into vector drain :h:. actually, morrigan can win any breakaway fights with this.
[]shell kick is great here.
[
]i like to normal jump back and throw some air soul drains for hulk to inevitably gamma charge into.
[]morrigan can use vector drain against hulks that are using armored normal pressure too much.
[
]his hurtbox is just so big that morrigan always gets a combo on him. she pretty much controls this match.[/details]

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Nemesis

Spoiler

just another big hurtbox for morrigan to mixup and hit.

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Phoenix Wright

Spoiler

vector drain grabs him out of maya shield (any grab does). call an assist or whatever to confuse him, maybe do some tri dashes, and grab him. this is a match where vector drain+shadow servant is an effective way of dealing damage. if he gets his evidence/goes into turnabout, some nice astral spamming will do the trick. if he has access to level 3, there’s nothing you can do. not even unfly during the freeze screen will work. i suggest empty, straight up super jumps (WHILE BLOCKING) to hopefully bait his hyper.

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Sentinel

[details=Spoiler] astral vision is indeed great against huge, clunky sentinel, but i never have the need for it. it’s basically like fighting a slightly nerfed hulk. using astral vision here would be like wasting a bar.
[*]she can crouch his cr. :h: spam, and dash in pretty quickly while he’s doing it.[/details]

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
She-Hulk

Spoiler

i’ve heard that air darkness illusion beats she hulk’s anti air grab (hows about a nice hug?)

[*]
Spencer

[details=Spoiler] - two words again: astral - vision. the cool thing is spencer players are so used to wire grappling all over the place that they won’t even crouch block the fireballs! they STILL try to travel in the air while morrigan’s filling the screen with soul fists! hey, i’m not complaining. a dead spencer is a good spencer.
[*]shadow servant kicks bionic arm’s butt.[/details]

[*]
Strider Hiryu

Spoiler

strider’s vajra (point move or assist) won’t hit morrigan if she’s air dashing FORWARD. obviously, if it’s point vajra, just block and grab. vector drain does more damage than regular grab. if you can time it right, use that. astral vision is an option.

[*]
Super-Skrull

Spoiler

skrull’s command grab pretty much says “F-U” to morrigan’s air approach; his meteor smash teleport interrupts anything morrigan does. i don’t even think astral vision helps very much here.

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Trish

Spoiler

another character that stays at super jump height whole match. pretty annoying for morrigan. i just treat trish the same way i treat dr. doom super jumpers.

[*]
Tron Bonne

Spoiler

- morrigan can vector drain right trough tron’s blockstrings, even her xFactored blockstrings!

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Vergil + VIDEO

[details=Spoiler] vergil’s teleports totally ruin morrigan’s inputs. whether it was a fireball, fly, soul drain, etc. you were trying to do, it will be reversed. even worse, shadow servant doesn’t always beat dimension slash, actually, SS mostly loses.
[]depending on how many hits landed during vergil’s dimesion slash, morrigan can sometimes get a free vector drain after the hyper hit. observe.
[
][media=youtube]bhcvIiMSMck[/media][/details]

[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]
Wesker

[details=Spoiler] - shadowblade sometimes beats wesker’s maximum wesker. if you don’t have meter for SS/don’t have time to get a fireball out, try using :h: shadowblade. just be mindful of the downward angle that wesker’s hyper projects himself at the beginning of the hyper. make sure there’s no chance he’ll go under you.
[]always have a fireball on screen to beat an inevitable random maximum wesker. soul drain is an even better idea.
[
]i’ve seen a morrigan using random air :h:s to stop wesker teleports.[/details]

[*]
Wolverine

Spoiler

this matchup is annoying to get used to. instead of trying to rush wolvie, just wait for him to try and rush you, then counter. for example, instead of normal jump>fireball>fly>dash towards wolvie>shell kick, try normal jump, fireball, fly, wait for wolvie to do his ground slash, then drop on him with a shell kick.

[/LIST]

What can Morrigan do against Vergil/Vajra? I feel like that match is unwinnable purely because you’re forced to play on the ground for the most part and morrigan doesnt have any pokes or get off me moves to survive being mauled on the ground.

I feel the same way. I think the only way to win is to try to catch Vergil during any mistakes he makes. All I can really do is try my best to avoid getting hit, and hope that I can catch him with a Soul Fist then go into a combo or just catch them offguard by rushing them down if they’re being too aggressive.

So according to the first post zero “dies if you zone him”.

I tried looking up Chris g vs flux hoping I’d see Mr. Gonzales use his Morrigan team, but he used a Spencer/Wesker/Doom team instead.
Is it really very much in Morrigan’s Soul Feest-y favor from some of you guys’ experience? The team switch by Mr. CG makes me wonder.

No, in my experience it’s not. My training partner uses Zero, and after tons of matches I can say that while you can zone him, it’s a lot harder to set up space and activate AV against him. Zero has a lot of ways to get in, and his normals are superior to Morrigans.

It’s true that Zero dies if you zone him, but that presumes you’re able to get the space to set up Astral Vision safely. It’s not easy. If you put Morrigan second, there’s a good chance she’ll eat one of the multiple 50/50s she’ll have to eat if Zero catches your first character, too. It’s just danger for Morrigan all around. That’s not to say she can’t win it.

morrigan’s astral spamming doesn’t isn’t as good against zero as i thought it would be. against the zeros i fight online, they effortlessly super jump, do their air BS, attack morrigan, and go into a combo before the clone’s fireballs hit him!
in order to astral spam zero, i have to be calling dante’s jam session at the same time; it stops zero’s super jump approach while morrigan takes care of the ground.

i also wanted to write something about the morrigan/captain america matchup. if cap is a certain distance from morrigan, and neither of us are getting a hit, i’ll throw a shadow servant. cap players usually try to hyper charging star, but SS will win. they have to be kind of far apart so cap’s invincibility will wear off. then i cn safely DHC, get him to waste a bar, and do damage. and if he blocks it, he can’t punish because of the distance.

So is there anyone who can be considered a Raw Counterpick to Morrigan?
I remember dorm being one according to a tournament commentator.

It seems to me though that Dorm would be darn good on a Morrigan team with his Blackheart-like assist (fast, works as an anti air, otg, great vertical coverage)

Dorm doesnt even really counter pick morrigan, hes just one of the few characters who can really stop her soul fist wall with meteors and can give her trouble if he catches her in the air with a pillar. Morrigan can still rush dorm down though. Overall its a 5-5 match imo that fluctuates depending on the situation. As I always stress, morrigans rushdown is really really good, and dorm doesnt really stop that part of her game.

I think Skrull, Vergil and vajra do better against her than Dorm personally.

And yeah Morrigan/Dorm/Doom is a really good team. I wouldnt say its the best morridoom team but its probably the lamest. Dormammu and Morrigan can sometimes be fighting for each others meters but harmoniser can somewhat mitigate that problem.