Morrigan Matchup Thread

Let’s get on those strats.

Fireball Wall

[details=Spoiler] Alright guys. Here it is, the wall of skulls. It’s not too hard to do. It’s like this
:qcf:+:l:
:qcb:+:s:
:qcf:+:h:
:qcb:+:s:

This little sequence of buttons will create a wall of two projectiles covering the screen horizontally. First you’ll shoot the soul fist, then you cancel the soul fist into Fly. Then you soul fist again (who saw that coming?), then you’ll cancel it into unfly and land on the ground. If your opponent doesn’t have a zoning/fireball character. They’ll have a hard time getting past this. It builds meter, does some nice chip if your opponent tries to rush you. Also, if they try to super jump you can either Airdash to the other side of the screen or zone them in the air with more fireballs. Also you can use them as an opportunity to actually rush in and try to hit the opponent with an overhead/blockstring. It’s not easy to do at first. Practice makes perfect…PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!![/details]

Command throw tricks

[details=Spoiler] For those of you who don’t know, Morrigan’s command throw (Vector Drain) has great ( I mean great) range. :l: Vector drain comes out in 5 frames, but it can reach farther than almost every grab in the game (Besides super skrull of course). Most of the time you’ll want to use :h: Vector drain as a defense manuver. Sine :h: Vector drain comes out in 1 frame, if the opponent has gaps in their strings you can grab them as long as they are close to you. Also, like any of her other specials, you can cancel it into fly. So if you whiff the command grab, fly…immediately.

:b::db::d::df::f::h:>:s:

If you do it like this, you’ll always fly cancel if you whiff. If you don’t whiff vector drain will come out and you have to worry about the :s: randomly hitting the opponent.

[/details]

Airdashing tricks

[details=Spoiler] Morrigan’s air dashes are just another threat on her list of goodies. Her most important air dashes (imo) are :f:+:atk::atk: and :d:+:atk::atk: (in the air). Morrigan’s backdash just isn’t good to me, since you can’t do ANYTHING (this includes blocking) for 25 frames. Her forward dash (on the ground) let’s you do stuff after 15 frames You can use her forward or backwards air dash to catch the opponent when they recover after a Vector Drain. If you hold :uf: or :u: and then wait to see where the opponent is teching you can call out an assist and cross them up.
Use her :d:+:atk::atk: airdash follwed by :s: to immediately land without hitting the opponent which gives you a chance to mixup Vector drain, attacking with a low hit or fly into an overhead :s:. I would use an assist to cover her since the distance needed to air dash off the ground is longer with Morrigan compared to other characters.

[/details]

Akuma

Spoiler

Akuma can throw fireballs just as fast as you can and approach while throw fireballs (of course) so, your best bet is to try zone him with fireball walls (using fly/unfly/assist) until he gets close then use :f: + :m: to try and counter hit him and go for combos. Be careful when throwing fireballs since his Tatsumaki can eat projectiles while active. So don’t throw any predictable fireballs midscreen…he will eat you.

Amateratsu

Spoiler

I don’t like this matchup for Morrigan since the Dog can zone you better, using that fireball reflector and cold star. It really stops your long range game, so you’ll have to get in close. Use assist to cover you since most people will keep using cold star until you get close just be careful since the dog also has that counter attack, which can catch you if your trying to hit her with and overhead.

Arthur

Spoiler

Obviously with this matchup you’ll have to get in close, since most people are just gonna throw projectiles the entire time (It’s a legit strat). One thing I like to do is use astral vision to throw fireballs on both side of the screen to stop him from being reckless/jumping.

C. Viper

Spoiler

Captain America

Spoiler

When it comes to cap. There’s a couple of things you gotta watch for. First, his shield. That thing will RAPE you if you don’t pay attention when it comes back. He can go into a midscreen (Most of his stuff is mid screen) combo if you get hit by it on the way back. Be careful of charging star. It eats projectiles. So if Cap is midscreen, I wouldn’t throw any fireballs out since he can charging star and punish you (sort of). Also, make sure your pressure is air tight since his srk has invincibility he can just throw it out if there’s a gap in your pressure. He can’t combo off of it though, but it’s enough to stop your momentum.

Chris Redfield

Spoiler

Although on the ground, Chris can zone you better, in the air, Chris can’t really do anything besides jump shotgun/magnum. So just use those Air Soul Fist :l: and make him come to you.

Chun Li

Spoiler

Dante

Spoiler

Dante’s Sword has good range on it, so be careful when you’re in mid range. If you push him back most people like to teleport so if you see him bouncing around, try to air throw him or you can try to use :f:+:m: since you can use it as an anti air. Also, most of Dante’s moves are ground to ground so you can throw some Air Soul Fist :l: at him just be careful of teleports and that guitar move (the anti-air one). Most of Dante’s combos leave him in front of you. So if he keeps attacking try and Vector drain (:hcb::h:)him and make him scared to :atk: you.

Deadpool

Spoiler

Deadpool can zone you better so just be careful when throwing fireballs. He’s gonna troll you and force you to come to him. Approach very cautiously.

Dormammu

Spoiler

Get in close…seriously. Stay there and don’t leave. He can out zone you easily. Use fuly if he tries to stop you with flame carpets. It should keep you in the air long enough to not get hit by it.

Dr. Doom

Spoiler

Felicia

Spoiler

Haggar

Spoiler

Hsien-ko

Spoiler

Hulk

Spoiler

Iron Man

Spoiler

Jill Valentine

Spoiler

M.O.D.O.K

Spoiler

Troll Music GO!!!

Magneto

Spoiler

Morrigan

Spoiler

Phoenix

Spoiler

Ryu

Spoiler

Sentinel

[details=Spoiler]Almost always have Astral Vision activated when facing Sent. Zoning against Sent doesn’t really work, so you have to close the distance on him and add pressure. Her upward air dash goes over most of his projectiles, and it even sets up an easy cross-up if you use it when near him. Throw a low assist in there, and you can easily catch him in a combo. If you’re having trouble avoiding his constant lasers and HSF, using Shadow Servant on reaction will not only beat HSF but it hits him as well, allowing you to either DHC out or close the distance (you’ll lose Astral Vision though).
Her j.:s: will break his super-armor on the second hit so it’s almost always her best move to start her offense against him, unless i’m crossing him up with her air dash, then just use either j.:m: or j.:h: into a combo. Standing :h: is also another great pressure tool but it’s easily pushblocked.
Also if he starts to fly away to get away from you, it seems pretty easy to catch him in an air grab -> shadow servant. You can also use Astral Vision and throw fireballs to keep him in place, but watch out cause he might air super you if you stay in the air too long. [/details]

She-Hulk

Spoiler

Shuma-Gorath

Spoiler

Spencer

Spoiler

Spiderman

Spoiler

Storm

Spoiler

Super Skrull

Spoiler

Taskmaster

Spoiler

Thor

Spoiler

Trish

[details=Spoiler]

[quote=This_Is_K1, post: ]
im sorry but the info listed vs Trish is just stupid…you cant outzone Trish on the ground. no way in hell. If you are in a fireball war with Trish youre just being stupid. she can EASILY just do Fireball hyper > XFC > Harvest Round > tag in another character > mixup time. serious. even if you block the fireball hyper somehow, youre going to take an assload of chip. as vs a lot of the cast, morrigan needs to get in that ass. Approaching with double air soul fist > down forward air dash works well usually. Unfortunately Round harvest is a trump card that she has (when morrigan is in the air). it completely stops all of morrigans momentum. I dont like this match just because trish can run away pretty well and its a bitch to be constantly chasing her down.

• K1 [/details]

Tron Bonne

Spoiler

Viewtiful Joe

Spoiler

Wesker

Spoiler

Teleports…Watch out…he teleports. Always watch wesker, cause he will cross you up really really easily. You can zone him and force him to jump/teleport and try to intercept. Although his gun is really annoying since it goes over the projectiles…

Wolverine

Spoiler

X-23

Spoiler

This Wolvie clone doesn’t really have much going for her. Just zone her. The thing you should really watch for is her command throw. She can go into a full combo with it. Oh yea, watch out for her lvl 3 (she turns invisible) just watch for puffs of smoke or you can just super jump/fly and throw soul fist (slows her down in the air) until it ends.

Zero

Spoiler

Zero (like X-23) is all about pressure. He pretty much dies if you zone him. He doesn’t really have anything for it. You would think his fireball would help him. It really doesn’t unless he uses Sogenmu so he can throw two and try to approach. Most Zero’s will attack you with j.:H: or j.:d:+:h: (it can cross you up), so just use:f:+:m:. It should stop his jump-ins. If he’s already at your head you can try using St.:h: but don’t spam it.

This is how I deal with Sent:

Almost always I have Astral Vision activated when facing Sent. Zoning against Sent doesn’t really work, so you have to close the distance on him and add pressure. Her upward air dash goes over most of his projectiles, and it even sets up an easy cross-up if you use it when near him. Throw a low assist in there, and you can easily catch him in a combo. If you’re having trouble avoiding his constant lasers and HSF, using Shadow Servant on reaction will not only beat HSF but it hits him as well, allowing you to either DHC out or close the distance (you’ll lose Astral Vision though). Her j.:s: will break his super-armor on the second hit so it’s almost always her best move to start her offense against him, unless i’m crossing him up with her air dash, then I just use either j.:m: or j.:h: into a combo. Standing :h: is also another great pressure tool but it’s easily pushblocked.
Also if he starts to fly away to get away from you, I find it pretty easy to catch him in an air grab -> shadow servant.

Thanks for the info. Putting it into the Saltinel matchup right now.

If Sent tries to take to the skies, activate Astral Vision and pelt his ass with your fireballs and AAA(I use Dante Jam Session alongside Morrigan). Watch out for Hard Drive though, as it will barge right through you if you’re trying to lame him out in the skies.

Thanks Nitro…Don’t I know you? I think I played you in BB on 360. I was SealedPrototype.

Yeah, we played in BB, you were on my Friend’s List. :3

Edit: J.B and J.S are instant overheads on a crouching Sent, but you need an assist to get a full combo off from them.

What if you use J.B -> J.C? It leaves Morrigan low enough in the air so she can combo into her ground normals I think.

Yup it does. At least against a crouching sentinel.

What do we do against super gay sent that just does (ussually x factored) laser laser laser and when you finally get in, hyper armor moves? Or Rushdown sents :open_mouth:

Dante and other popular awesome zoning awesome rushdown chars would be nice too. However, I suppose this also depends on if Morrigan is on point in our respective teams or not (id imagine she istnt, shes a great character but I think she shines best late game)

I find morrigan to be a great anti-sentinel character. Her keep away + astral vision can pester him with fireballs and he’s too slow to catch up to you. Also if your in the habit of unflying your air fireballs his level3 isn’t ever a problem.

The only thing to watch out for is the dreaded time out. You’ll be able to stay away from him really easy but you just may not inflict enough damage whether through chip or not.

If an XF3 Sent is dumb enough to stay on the other side of the screen, Morrigan can just crouch under all of his lasers (even the low ones). She has one of the most deceptively small hitboxes in the game. Super jump and block if he uses HSF.

Jumping S is good for an armor breaker.

Another thing to add to the Sentinel matchup, command throw the hell out of him when he is on the ground. Your slowest command throw is 5 frames and his quickest move is 7 frames iirc and he has a big ass hitbox as well. H Vector Drain leads into Shadow Servant anywhere on screen on him too.

Of course, this will make the Sentinel scared and want to jump away from your mixups and try to fly or hit you with frying pan or j.H, so scout that shit and air throw him or tag him with a quick standing light to catch his pre-jump frames.

im sorry but the info listed vs Trish is just stupid…you cant outzone Trish on the ground. no way in hell. If you are in a fireball war with Trish youre just being stupid. she can EASILY just do Fireball hyper > XFC > Harvest Round > tag in another character > mixup time. serious. even if you block the fireball hyper somehow, youre going to take an assload of chip. as vs a lot of the cast, morrigan needs to get in that ass. Approaching with double air soul fist > down forward air dash works well usually. Unfortunately Round harvest is a trump card that she has (when morrigan is in the air). it completely stops all of morrigans momentum. I dont like this match just because trish can run away pretty well and its a bitch to be constantly chasing her down. I dont use him personally, but Doom missles fuck up trish hardcore. Keeps that bitch in place and locked down. Lucky for everyone that uses him.

anyways, just my 2 cents.

• K1

Anyone got any strats against Wolverine? I’m kind of at a loss what to do here and I have the most trouble dealing with him. I’m having trouble getting rushed down by his dive kick pressure into a mixup for most of my life and I get anti-aired by his standing light attack(?) whenever I try to gain some momentum on him. Is the preferred thing to zone him?

:rock:

I recomend you zoning if he trys to pass through your soul fist you can cancel into shadow servant he cant pass through that, if his in you can bet for the shadow blade if you miss you can always cancel into fly mode if he is using help you can do a shadow servant and take them out

push block > trijump

real talk.

wolv is an annoying bitch though. everyone is running wolv + drones.