MK9 | This One's For The Fans: Kitana General

Kitana is just like she was in the old MKs. Her main goal is to juggle with her ground and air Fans. If you do it right you can instantly throw her fans in the air so they hit ground opponents and you’ll have very little recovery, this is needed for certain combos. You can also cancel all of her normal air moves hit or miss into Fans, along with Uprise. Her X-Ray is super easy to combo into and reaches full screen.

Notation: (everything is done on the default layout)
FP/LP/1 - X/Square
BP/HP/2 - Y/Triange
FK/LK/3 - A/X
BK/HK/4 - B/Circle
Block - RT/R2
Stance Change - LT/L2 OR A+B/X+Circle
Throw - RB/R1 OR X+A/Square+X
Tag - LB/L2

Basic Moves:
Fan Slice - Back LP
Uppercut - Down HP
Uprise - Back HP (Can be cancelled into Air Fan)
Fan Stab - Forward HP
Shin Kick - Back LK
Hop Kick - Forward LK
Spin Kick - Forward HK
Sweep - Back HK

Special Moves:
Fan Toss - Down Forward LP
Square Boost - Down Back LP
Upraise (Fan Lift) - Back Back HP
Cutting Fan - Down Forward HP
Pretty Kick - Down Back LK
Fake Out Kick - Down Back HK

Enhanced Attacks:
Charged Fan - Down Forward LP Block (Second Fan can be cancelled and/or Charged)
Square Wave - Down Back LP Block
Fan Dice - Down Forward HP Block
Uplift - Back Back HP Block
Pretty Legs - Down Back LK Block

X-Ray Attack:
Fan-Tastic - Tag, Block OR LK, HK, Block

Kombo Attacks:
Royal Pain - LP, LP, HP
Dignified - Back LP, HP
Majestic - HP, LP, HP
Noble Lift - Forward HP, LP
Regal Assault - LK, LK, LK
Blue Blood - Back LK, LK
Power Intrusion - Forward LK, LP, HP
Deadly Rush - Forward HK, LP
Pure Kicks - Forward HK, LK
Deception - Forward HK, Back HK

Finishing Moves:
Fan Opener - Down Down Back Forward HP
Splitting Headache - Forward Down Forward Back LK
Babality - Forward Down Forward HK

Gameplay Videos:
-alities:

Matches:
UltraDavid (Cyrax) vs Combofiend (Kitana) [1:00-5:30]
Combofiend (Kitana) vs Smash (Scorpion) [20:40-26:05]

BnB Kombos:
My Day 1 Combo - nj.LP, nj.LP, j.HK, j.Fan Toss, Fan Toss, Fan Toss, LK, Pretty Kick
10 hits, 40%

Another Day 1 Combo - Uprise, j.Fan Toss, Fan Toss, Fan Toss, LK, LK, Cutting Fan/Pretty Kick (doesn’t matter)
10 hits, 41%

Panda_Express Combo 1 - j.HK, .Fan, HK, j.Fan, dash HP, Fan, F.HP, LP/F.HP to Cutting Fan
Midscreen, 44%

Panda_Express Combo 2 - F.HK, LP, LK, LK, LK, Fan, LK, LK, LK, Fan Lift, Uprise, Fan, Fan, LK, LK, Cutting Fan
Corner Only, 47%

Panda_Express Comb 3 - F-HP-LP, nj.HP, dash HK, Fan, Dash HP, Fan Lift, Dash, Dash, Back-HP, Air Fan, dash, Fan, F-HP, Cutting Fan
Midscreen, 15 hits, 47%

MaDWaK Combo - F.HK, LP launcher, B.HP, Air Fan, dash HP, Fan Slice, dash HP, Pretty Kick OR EX Pretty Kick
Midscreen, 39%

Idle Hands Combo 1 - j.P, F.HK, LP launcher, B.HP, Air Fan, dash HP, Fan Slice, LK, LK, LK, Pretty Kick OR EX Pretty Kick
Corner Only, 14 hits, 48%

Idle Hands Combo 2 - j.2, toward + 4, 1, away + 2, d, f +1, dash in, away + 2, d, f +1
9 hits, 40%

Idle Hands Combo 3 - jps, toward + 2, 1, u + 1, 4, fan, dash, 2, upraise, dash j.4, air fan, dash, fan, dash 2, d, f + 2
14 hits, 47%

Idle Hands X-Ray Combo - j.2, toward + 4, 1, away + 2, d, f +1, dash in, X-Ray
53%

ditn Combo - 2 x fan dash fan qcb 3
29% damage

Skatan Milla Combo 1 - f+4,1, f+2~fan, dash 2~fan lift, dash dash, b+2~air fan, dash, fan, f+2~fan cutter 46%

Skatan Milla X-Ray Combo - f+4,1, f+2~fan, dash 2~fan lift, dash dash, b+2~air fan, X-ray 50%

Konqrr Combo 1 - f21, u1/2, dash~4~Fan, dash~4~Fan Lift, dash, dash, b2~Air Fan, dash, Fan, dash, 4~Cutter
51%, no meter

Konqrr Combo 2 - jps~21~EX Fan, Dash Cancel~uf, jps~f21, u1/2, dash~4~Fan, dash~4~Fan Lift, dash, dash, b2~Air Fan, dash, Fan, dash, 4~Cutter
58%

Kombo Videos:
Panda_Express -

G.T. -

D’Nyc3 -

Persona -

Konqrr -

Matchups, mixups, and general strategy.

here are 2 easy combos for ok damage
mid screen, jump in or cross up HK, fan, Hk, fan, dash Hp, fan, F-HP,LP. or( F-Hp to Cutting Fan) for 44%
and corner, F-Hk,Lp, Lk,Lk,Lk, Fan, Lk,Lk,Lk, Fan Lift move thing lol, to Uprise in to Fan, Fan, Lk,Lk, Cutting Fan 47%
there’s like different variations of this but cant get it over 47-48%

Good shit, I’m gonna work on more today.

I like kitana for high tier. she is goood. full screen whiff punish Xray is amazing.
the bnb ive been using is:

f.hk,lp launcher, b.hp into air fan. dash hpx fanslice, dash hpxpretty kick or ex.pretty kick.

ive been working on other shit too. I want more videos on my youtube so im probably gonna make a video of her bnbs and maaybe general strats if I find some good shit. She doesnt have and low crushers does she?

Yeah so far she seems like one of the best IMO. Smoke, Kung Lao, Nightwolf, and Liu Kang, are pretty godlike too. I added your combo, how much damage does it do? Also what did you mean in the bold?

I just found out that Forward HP, LP (Noble Lift) combos into Uprise, which is amazing lol.

Any advice on these 2? The problems I’m having are:

#1: After the second fan (which I’m assuming is fan toss) the enemy hits the ground too fast (before I recover) to be able to dash -> hp

#2: fan toss doesn’t come out fast enough after lkx3. I’ve tried doing it as fast as I can and a little later to catch him on the way down, all to no avail.

Or maybe someone’s working on a combo video and can add these two? They sound like really nice stylin combos, but I just can’t seem to get them to work. All the others are no problem.

Also, when in the corner you can do this: (a variation of MaDWaK’s combo.)

j.P, F.HK, LP launcher, B.HP, Air Fan, dash HP, Fan Slice, LK, LK, LK, Pretty Kick OR EX Pretty Kick

14 hits (48%)

the combo does 39%. Its pretty useful midscreen. i prefer the other ones posted for corner combos though.
and what i meant my low crusher is a move that hits mid or high and can hit while the opponent is blocking low. an overhead pretty much. I hope I used the right term lol.

edit: found what I was looking for. that f+HK,lp autocombo the last hit is a low crusher. I believe you can use this as a simple high low mixup. (get them blocking low with down+lk and/or sweeps, then use the autocombo)

you’d probably be able to hit confirm the lp into f+hp xx cutting fan for a free 23% dmg midscreen or a combo in the corner.

I only did those combos on kung lao try it on him and LMK who did you do it on and i can try it too.
I just played with it bit, for the 1st one just keep dashing after every fan.

on the 2nd one if your doing it after F-Hk,Lp the 3xLK should bounce high and the fan will hit, LMK who your doing it on I can try it too. on Kung Lao it hits easly try on him

on the 2nd one if you start with a jump in HP it gives 22hits for 50/51%

I’ve been doing them on sub zero as that’s where the cursor defaults to when picking characters. I managed to get the fan after the first set of LK’s and a couple of the second set of LK’s, it’s just a matter of mashing it out until it works then working on cleaner execution.

Haven’t worked on the first one anymore yet, been modifying the current combos in this thread and trying to find more.

Thanks for the input, I’ll try them on Kung Lao and see if that helps.

Here’s a really simple combo that’s (again) a modified version of one already listed. Sorry for using a different type of notation, but it’s easier for me to remember and note. If the TC prefers to change the notation if/when he adds this that’s cool.

1 = Front Punch
2 = Back Punch
3 = Front Kick
4 = Back Kick

j.2, toward + 4, 1, away + 2, d, f +1, dash in, away + 2, d, f +1

9 hits (40%)

If you’re feeling flashy or it will win you the match you can add in an x-ray in place the the second ‘away + 2, d, f +1’ for a total of 53%

I just tried it on sub zero, it worked about the same. its mostly the timing at first

here’s a mix of the two kinda
for mid screen F-HP-LP, N jump Hp, dash HK, Fan, Dash Hp, Fan Lift, Dash, Dash, Back-HP, Fan in air, dash, fan, F-HP, Cutting Fan
its 15 hits for 47%

So now we have combos. What about actual strategies to win matches. What are good things to do that are safe? Maybe this is just MK in general but other than throw what are good option when your opponent is blocking? Also I feel like Kitana is a zoning character with little mixups. There are characters in this game who flat out ignore zoning. What do you do then?

Kitana’s mids all come at the end of strings and she has 0 option for damage off a low hit from what I tested.

I feel like Kitana is great for stomping noobs but I’m not finding her tools that are going to allow me to really beat people who know what they are doing.

Theres not gonna be too much concrete info or matchup specific info yet but she feels like a very solid character all around and she has tools for safe pressure as well as tools for zoning. Its easily possible to condition someone to get hit by her mids. her options after f+hk are to go low with the sweep, or go mid with her follow up lp which can lead to at least 24%. Hp,lp,hp autocombo is safe on block I believe and the 2nd hit can be canceled into specials which can lead to pressure.

I just have problems defensively so right now i would say other than wakeup square boost (which isnt invincible) she doesnt have many defensive options, so she does get mauled, but I wouldnt call her a heavy zoner just because of that. but it could just be me sucking at blocking and being reckless when I have to guess lol.

I play her kind of like Akuma.

Added more to OP.

Just some observations:

You can spam the hell out of her Fan Toss just out of kicking range against Johnny Cage and there is not a damn thing he can do about it. His shadow balls go over her head as she’s throwing them and his shadow kick won’t hit her fast enough (or it hasn’t in my testing thus far). Eventually she’ll wind up backing far enough away to eat a shadow ball, however.

f+4,1, f+2~fan, dash 2~fan lift, dash dash, b+2~air fan, dash, fan, f+2~fan cutter 46%

f+4,1, f+2~fan, dash 2~fan lift, dash dash, b+2~air fan, X-ray 50%

Most damage possible from her overhead?

Pretty clever title :stuck_out_tongue:

i had some time so did a video of the stuff i posted

Nice Panda, those should help a lot in getting my timing down. I feel I’ve kind of hit a wall with Kitana ATM so I’m taking time to learn Jax and Ermac, but those videos inspired me to work even harder with her. I just think she has the flashiest combos out of the entire cast.