MK9: Do you use a Pad or Stick?

I use the MadCatz FightPad for the 360 and I use my regular Dual Shock 3 on the PS3… though I’m gonna need to find a way to get a wired PS3 controller since EVO bans wireless controllers.

Since we are on the topic of sticks/controllers, is there a solid adatper that allows you to use a 360 controller for the PS3 that most people agree on?

Tried using a fightpad, but I feel much more comfortable with a ps3 controller.

I use a plain old 360 controller. I’ve gotten pretty decent with it, though I pretty much have to use the analog stick at all times. If I had the extra cash I’d get a better input device, but I’ve gotten pretty good with just a normal controller. I also play MVC3 with it and I’m decent with the analog stick. /shrug

I use stick my current layout atm is.
FS, FP, BP
BL, FK, BK

EX moves and X-Rays work fine on this layout for me.

im quite unorthadox but it works for me…
[FP] [BP] [FK] [BK]
[BL] [FS] [Tag] [GR]

I like using my thumb for blocks/ex.

Pad, I don’t think a stick is highly advised for MK like it is for SF. It just comes down to preference.

i just hit 30 and grew up down the street from a few grimey arcades !! and i could never get down playing with a d-pad , when sf2 and mk finally came out and i would play them on friends sega or snes, i never adapted well. stuck to chunlee and blanka and guile…for mk 3 after a while on snes i kinda got the hang of it playing cyrax and sabrewolf for killer instinct, for some of use old goats , it just feels wrong

Stick (Hori RAP EX, to be precise) with the following layout:

[FP] [BP] [TAG]
[FK] [BK] [BL]

Pad using analog stick.

Custom Hitbox styled controller

For me, I use Sega Saturn pad.

I tried PS3 pad, XB Pad, SF stick, and MK stick. I was playing the demo on SF stick. I only started practicing on PS3 pad because gamestop was having a launch tourney and it was PS3 pad only. I really enjoyed using the PDP stick until the joystick crapped out on me so I switched to SF stick.
I play default layout, use thumb for FK, index for FP, middle for BP and BK, ring for Block and Grab. Its really easy to hit Xray on SF stick, just press 2kicks plus block. I usually don’t have problems hitting EX, just gotta make sure you hit block before you hit attack (kinda like kara-cancelling in SF).
I really want to try out a hitbox, seems like it would make dash-cancel jabs really easy.

I use stick with default buttons. When I first started I basically said to myself “I use stick for every other fighter I play, might as well use it for this one”. Now if only I wasn’t ass at MK…

I actually use a MK TE stick that sold packaged with the MK 9 release, it has the traditional 5 button MK layout. The game was meant to be used with the layout.

I tried using a a full Sanwa 8 button layout, and it doesn’t work too well because the block button (R2) is a crucial part of the game. I find using a Sanwa joystick for MK quite difficult because it feels too loose, Happ joystick is stiffer which makes 4 way movements and execution easier for. I am someone who prefers Sanwa joysticks over Happ when it comes to SF because I usually only play shoto characters.

I will admit though the PS3 gamepad does provide better accuracy for move execution, but I still prefer the MK 5 button layout with Happ joystick and parts for the nostalgic feel of MK arcade machines. I am sure if I upgrade to IL parts, my execution would be better.

With practice, is it possible to get good on a pad if I currently suck at executing moves on it? I can’t do Kabal’s nomad dash and dash cancels (then going into other moves) all that well on the PS3 Dualshock 3.

after switching to a stick i can’t play pad

It’s actually easier to do most MK move execution on the PS3 gamepad, especially with lots of practice. I still prefer joystick more because of nostalgic arcade feel, even though I can perform better on a PS3 gamepad.

i use te, what i do is have block be triangle i move both tri and circle to r1 r2 grab is l1 although you dont even need it cuz x and square do grab.

Pad…but I use pad for everything.