MK9 | Combat Mode ACTIVATED - The Cyrax Guide/Thread

Tom Brady admitted to just spewing salt-fueled untruths and the bomb trap WILL NOT be patched

Tom Brady posted this over on testyourmight the other day and since nobody else has reposted it here, I figured I would.

"**ok so from what im hearing the bomb trap being basically free is a bug. you are supposed to have 10 frames to break is b1 throw but right now you only have 3 maybe 2 frames. its going to get fixed so now when a random net hits you will be able to break the throw 100% of the time.

however, breaking a naked b1 will be near impossible on reaction but you can basically mash d1s and beat everything cyrax has while still breaking b1 command throw. cyrax would have to jump over or 33 in close to stop d1 shit and then you can aa him or cross up his 33 etc… so it becomes a mind game with strategy**."

On paper this looks like an extremely reasonable change, IMO, and if true, I hope it fixes the situation to the satisfaction of everybody (as while I think bomb trap is a necessary tool for Cyrax, I do feel like it ended up being just a bit too good)

Does the bug still exist where empty net/bomb moves decrease your meter ?

Also shoutouts to salty Tom Brady . I’m curious after that lost now that NRS will try and nerf Cyrax just because they think their holy grail Tom Brady should never be beaten , and take his word…:bluu:

I’m giving Brady a second chance. He apologized (apparently on video, too) for his comments about LIJoe and being salty, and while poor sportsmanship is a personal pet peeve of mine, he did have to commentate immediately after a frustrating loss. He’s also said that he’s not for removing bomb trap, and that he supports it and is only passing on what he’s heard.

I can deal with a little arrogance (I’ve only been in the competitive FG community for about 3 years, but I’ve already come to realize that’s a staple attribute of a large chunk of competitive players) as long as he isn’t disrespectful in the future.

increasing the tech window seems like a reasonable fix, 10 frames seems a bit too much mind but i guess we just have to wait and see. Also hoping for a true fix to the whiff reset bug rather than the sloppy work around with the net cooldown that we got.

this is one of the fears i had is he going to call for a nerf everytime he gets beat? how much influence dose he have with NRS anyway.

Well, like I said, he’s come out on testyourmight and actively declared that he wants bomb trap to stay in. Also, 10 frames may seem like a lot, but 10 frames should still be too fast to break on reaction, meaning they’d have to anticipate the command throw in order to tech it, which would make it a legit mixup.

I do have some concerns that there are enough rushdown oriented characters who would be constantly mashing out FP/BP for their combo strings, but I have a feeling bomb trap will do just fine.

10 frames is plenty time to tech on reaction, throws in SF4 have like a 7 frame window and are easy enough to tech and you cant mash both punches to increase your chance

I’d have to disagree, throw breaks in SF4 tend to be both prediction and option selecting. 10 frames is slow enough where you can register movement, but seeing movement, recognizing it and responding with the appropriate option, on reaction, with any kind of consistency? Ehh…

The grab itself already has 13 frames of startup. Add a 10f tech window to that and you’re looking at 23f to react.

You’re full of shit. Pretty much nobody in the world can react to 10 frames. Maybe a handful, but I’m talking like 0.0001% of the population.
SF4 throws are always teched in anticipation or via option select.

Wow is it really 13 frames? The throw always felt faster than that.

Anyway, I started off in the competitive scene playing SC4 (which, not to tangent, is way better than everybody gives it credit for, and also a far better tournament game than SC2, which was basically an all step+G, 2-3 hit combos, and most moves being big advantage on block turtle-fest) and the threshold of reactable moves is generally considered to be 19 or 20 frames, a few less if you’re really looking for it (like Amy’s i18 2B+K. Generally unreactable, but if all you’re looking for is that move coming out, you’ll probably see it, at a detriment to your focus on the match itself.

Teching a throw that’s 10 frames is easy for some people like me , maybe not so easy online . I don’t see why people complain the throw is too fast . You can crouch throws in MK9 also on top of that…

Also teching by OS in SSFIV isn’t always easy , especially online , because if you guess the OS tech too early or too late , you will get thrown or worse case scenario get setup for counter hit combos ( expect this from Akuma players for example ) . But again , noticing the throw trigger to come out isn’t too hard .

I’m with sprint on this one. People who convince themselves they can react to 7 or 10 frame moves (with the appropriate response) with consistency have tricked themselves into thinking their anticipation is reaction.

Then again 13+10 is another story entirely. I’d assumed throw was significantly faster than 13 frames for whatever reason.

Reacting a throw from 7 frames with OS Tech Throw in SSFIV isn’t a problem some of the time to some people though if they know what to do in a safely manner . Now maybe if your down pixels away from death and your in risk of getting chipped out , then sure the reads of teching a throw may decrease and therefore cause someone to not tech on reaction . But in MK9 it’s not too much to worry because it’s their fault they let Cyrax in ( like Gief ) , and it’s their fault they don’t decide to gain momentum over Cyrax or avoid throws by just holding crouch or just throw out a low 3 to help retract their momentum .

People aren’t teching 7f throws on reaction, Im sorry but they just aren’t.

So which buttons tech the command throw? Is it considered a back throw? Why can’t it be ducked after a jump in punch, isn’t crouching instant?

I use 3 to tech , and I think low 3 works also , but I have to double check .

Doesn’t matter what kind of throw it is .

Possibly because you are still in blockstun , and unlike most SF games , you can get thrown in MK9 during cross-up punch (blocked) -> command grab . I don’t know if this will be fixed in the next patch however .

seeing as how I’ve gotten an oppurtunity to play against people due to online being back…

Bomb Trap. Is it (after grab) dash > bomb > dash > 2,2 OR bomb > dash > 2,2

Sigh i wanted to main Cyrax, but it seems he is going to be played by A LOT of people just beacuse of his bomb trap am i right? I guess i’ll switch to Sektor.

I wonder if Human Cyrax is going to be considered an extra fighter as it seems he has some different properties.

Why the hell do you care if alot of people are going to be playing him.

He’s probably the same kinda guy that only likes music until it becomes popular

I’m sorry if i offended you with my way of thinking.

I’m still going to learn him just beacuse how awesome it was testing the bomb trap, you can juggle into a lot of things after that.