MK9 | Combat Mode ACTIVATED - The Cyrax Guide/Thread

Bio
“A skilled Motswana warrior, Cyrax relies on his natural fighting ability, his chi, to carry out Lin Kuei missions. He is proud to serve, but when the Grand Master initiates a program to convert the clan into cyborgs, Cyrax resists. He is reluctant to lose his humanity, which he believes is more effective than any mechanical augmentation. He has contemplated leaving the clan, fearing that it is no longer an organization of honorable assassins. Cyrax knows, however, that such a decision means death at the hands of his former comrades. No one leaves the Lin Kuei.”

B = back
F = front
D = down
U = up
bp = back punch
fp = front punch
bk = back kick
fk = front kick
~ = cancel
^ = juggle
nj = neutral jump
j = jump
AA = Anti-air

Strategy
Playing Cyrax is extremely based around his nets and bombs. His bombs are unblockable and cause a juggle state in the opponent that lets you land tons of damage.

Cyrax Bomb Trap Patched, Can no Longer Be Done*

Cyborg Cyrax vs Human Cyrax
Unlike the rest of the cast, Cyrax’s two costumes change some of the properties of his gameplay. They are the following.

1. Human Cyrax’s teleport is safe, but Robo Cyrax’s isn’t
    2.Human Cyrax has slower bombs and nets
  2. Because of reason 2, Human Cyrax can’t do guaranteed bomb set-ups

Cyborg Cyrax is the version to play as his moves are faster and he has his bomb set-ups.

Grounded Net Damage Scaling Reset
Whiffing any move before hitting a netted and grounded opponent confuses the game into thinking the combo is over. As such, you can continue the combo without the scaling that everything up to and including the net would normally impose. You can even use another net and the opponent won’t immediately recover. This leads to the following amount of damage based on meter used :
1 bar = 67% (Combo 3)
2 bars = 74% (Combo 4)
3 bars = 82% (Variation of Combo 4)
Notation can be found in the combo section. (Combos 3 and 4.)
Can be found at 1:13 in video 2.

Tooth Bomb Reset
Cyrax’s F + bp, like his command grab, causes a long stagger on hit. Cancel F + bp into Short Bomb on hit, then follow up with (dash, bp, fp ~ Net). The timing is fairly strict. Hitting with the tip of F + bp makes it easier to follow up. If the opponent stops blocking at any point, the net pushes them away from the bomb and resets the situation. When the finally decide to block the net, it doesn’t push them back so the bomb gets them instead. This does less damage than the command grab set-up if they block it the first time, so use it only against people who like to press buttons.
Can be found at 2:07 in Video 2.

Move List
Net (B, B + fk) - The move he’s had since introduced, the net is important to Cyrax’s gameplay. If an opponent does their slow projectile, and you do the net, the trade will result in your favour since it keeps them in a paralyzed state longer than your hitstun. Good for spacing. Ex version drains super meter.

Anti-air (D, F + fp) - A good anti-air (suprisingly) that takes priorty over air attacks. Cyrax jumps up and grabs the air-born opponent. Hard to punish but it is possible. Ex version does more damage.

Rag Doll (D, F + fk [fp + fk follow-up]) - Kick that launches the opponent up, and the follow-up grabs them and slams them down. The kick is safe on block. Fairly useless outside of combos. Ex version starts low and does more damage.

Bombs ([Close = B, B + bk] | [ Mid = F, F + bk] | [Far = B, B, F + bk])
-Cyrax’s most important move. The bomb is unblockable and is a great combo starter. The bomb also allows unavoidable bomb setups (as mentioned in the strat section), which lead into big damage. They are also good for zoning along with net. Ex version sticks in your chest and explodes/launches.

Teleport (D, B + fp) - Can be done in the air. Cyrax teleports behind the opponent. Robo-cyrax can be punished with uppercut, human cyrax is safe. Ex version can knockdown opponent at close range and is 100% safe.

Saw blade (B, F + bp) - bad move. Ex version is a projectile.

Fatalities
Fatality 1 : F, D, F, B + bp (sweep distance)
Fatality 2 : B, D, B, F + fp (jump distance)
Stage Fatality : D, U + block
Babality : D, F, B + bp (Note: You cannot block the winning round to do a babality)

Good Target Kombos
fp, fp ,fp - Can be used in the unavoidable bomb trap. The first two hits are mid with a final overhead attack. This being safe on block makes it the kombo of choice. If The bomb trap is timed correctly, you can hit the opponent with all 3 hits into the bomb explosion, allowing a juggle.

fp, bp, fp - 3 hit string that is mainly used in the bomb trap. Safe on block. If The bomb trap is timed correctly, you can hit the opponent with all 3 hits into the bomb explosion, allowing a juggle.

bp, fp, bp - Safe on block, good damage

fk, fk - 2 hits, safe on block only if the opponent is standing. Second hit whiffs on crouching opponents.

B + fp, bp, fp, bp - Command throw that hits high. Only way to avoid this is crouching without blocking. Opponent can break this by pressing fp. Main part of the unavoidable bomb trap. You can get the grab 100% guaranteed off of a jump in punch that is blocked, although it can still be broken.

B + bp - overhead launcher. Safe on block

B + fk - useful only for anti-air

Combos
Combo 1
j. p, fp, bp ~ Net, dash back, j. p, fp, bp ~ Ex-Bomb, Medium Bomb*, uppercut, dash back, B + bp**, forward dash, fp, bp, fp ~ Anti-Air (midscreen, 56%, 1 meter) Much thanks to KinGDuncH

*Hold block so u wont dash, otherwise the bomb timing will miss. Release block right before u input the key so u wont get the ex version.
** This is the tricky part, as u only need to connect the second hit. If you don’t it won’t bounce him high enough to do the full end combo.

Combo 2
(j.p, bp, fp ~ Net, [Bomb trap]) dash, bp, bp (block or hit), bomb explodes, nj. p, dash, B + bp, dash, fk, fk ~ Net, (teleport for meter), dash, fk, fk ~ Rag Doll + follow up (22% + 35% damage, much thanks to Sprint)

[Bomb trap] = B + fp, bp, fp, bp, dash, Med. Bomb
The parts in ( ) brackets does 22%, next part is a reset that does 35%
Found by Sprint

Combo 3
[j.p, bp, fp ~ Net, (whiff anything),] j.p, bp, EX bomb, Mid bomb, D + bp, backdash, B + bp (2nd hit), dash, fk, fk ~ Net, Teleport, fk, fk ~ Rag Doll + follow up (11% + 56% damage, thanks to sprint)

Part in [ ] does 11%, rest does 56%
teleport can be used as the whiff
Found by sprint

Combo 4
[j.p, bp, fp ~ Net, (whiff anything),] j.p, bp, EX bomb, Mid bomb, D + bp, backdash, B + bp (2nd hit), dash, [bp, EX bomb,] dash, fk ~ Net, Teleport, dash, fk, fk ~ Rag doll + follow up (11% + 63% damage, thanks to sprint)

Part in [ ] does 11%, rest does 63%
[bp, EX bomb] can be done twice for 11% + 71%, this uses 3 meters
teleport can be used as the whiff
2nd teleport is optional
Found by Sprint

Video Section

Video 1 : http://tinyurl.com/4xa3wts - 56% damage, 17 hits (by : KinGDuncH )
Video 2 : http://tinyurl.com/3boq5bq - Crazy resets and damaging combos (by: Sprint)
Video 3 : http://tinyurl.com/3nxk8rp - Cyrax being babalitied (by: Dynasty1031)

Contributers
AceKombat
KinGDuncH
Sprint

Human Cyrax is able to combo 1-2-1 X-RAY midscreen from a juggle against Sektor , however if Robot Cyrax tries to combo 1-2-1 X-RAY midscreen from a juggle , it will whiff .

Would be nice if someone label all the pros/cons of Robot Cyrax compared to Human Cyrax . I think the bomb grenade properties change also , maybe slower start-up for Human Cyrax I think .

added

Great thread. I love Cyrax and his playstyle, timing bombs in a combo feels so good. I don’t really like human Cyrax, robot all the way :rock:

This is my best combo with him for now, so check it out :rofl:
Shoryuken - MK9 Cyrax combo (KinGDuncH)

^ Awesome combo

Bomb setups

Am I right in reading the bomb setups as:
Jumping punch, cyber beat down, mid bomb, dash in, target combo?
Or is it that the bomb is setup before the jump in?

gonna have to have a good think around possible unblockable setups.

It is jump punch, cyber beatdown, mid bomb, dash, combo.

I’ll post a vid on this later, if I have the time (school and stuff).

To make the jump in punch, Cyber Beatdown braindead easy,

Jump in and hold back and mash FP+BP :rofl:

Bomb resets / scaling reset + 82% damage.

Got this game recently, want to use Cyrax. Is there any point in dropping a far bomb and mid-bomb on opponent’s wakeup?

A few notes/observations:
-Wheel kick can act as anti-air
-You can X-Ray an opponent when they’re coming down from a bomb

I plan to have a video up soon of his various setups and tricks.

Comboing into x-ray is useless imo

Great stuff, getting berated for playing a “broken” character now =)

thanks for the vid, gonna try and work it in to my play.

Cyberdriver (X-Ray) should pretty much always be used as a late anti air (unless comboing it kills your opponent for the win.) It is such a good AA and its possible to combo out of by dashing up and 111 (fp fp fp) or uppercutting

Trying to come up with a basic 1 meter BnB that is reliable with a bit of online lag.

So a simplified version of the one in the initial post;

bp, fp xx Net, bp, fp xx EX bomb, (med bomb) uppercut (explode) uppercut.

43% and fairly easy. I buffer the forward motions of the medium bomb during the EX bomb and then tap bk a few times, seems to be reliable and it looks pretty comical.

You can do any of the combos in the combo section with practice, even in lag.

I notice sometimes I can’t get the jump punch after the bomb goes off. Sometimes it would bounce the opponant allowing for a juggle and sometimes it would just knock them hard onto the ground.

The combo is: Jumping punch, cyber beat down, mid bomb, dash in, target combo, bomb goes off, JUMP PUNCH, back punch blah blah

It depends on your target combo. If you do fp-fp-fp, if you land the 3rd hit and knock him into the explosion, the jumping punch will knock him hard. The best thing to do is bp-bp, as its timing is just about right and it has no knockdowns or other properties to mess you up later.

Yea I do bp-bp. I can get the combo in training mode but when I go online I always get the hard knock down