Miðgarðsorm Presents The Street Fighter V Story Thread

wtf cestus here again pushing with your made up western and japanese style in visual in modern 3d fighters. The last time you were calling FF7 remake art to be western style lol

That’s what’s wrong with Capcom they are inconsistent they try to make character every very different from version nowadays in modern games.

I would have loved that the KOF XIV Ultimate Edition would have also included a new pack DLC Characters as well as new balance and netcode patches.

Capcom is still supporting SFV this year with new content, SNK should do the same with KOF XIV.

1 Like

Well…KoF15 looks better than 14…but they shoulda just done the ArcSys method.

Anyone that’s making a 2D anime fighting game(which all of SNKs games are) in this day and age that ISN’T using ArcSys’s method, is fucking up.

2 Likes

Not really mate, arcsys can get away with starting roster of 16 say, but no way SNK with that budget can have base roster of 30+.

Personally, my view is all these companies should go to 2D. Either sprites or say something like SOR4

3 Likes

Fuck most of you need to get your eyes checked. 15 has wonky visuals.
SFV does have some sore spots we all know about but on the whole is way better than KOF.

2 Likes

You might as well say you don’t want these games to be released because that is so cost-prohibitive and sales killing it’d be cheaper for them to just burn down their studios.

You mean their Chinese megacorp and now Saudi oil baron budget? That budget?

And they’ve been working on this, like, 4 years already. So they’ve had the time and have the money to do the ArcSys thing and have built up a decent launch roster. Bigger than KoF 12 at least. And they could always expand from there.

1 Like

Samsho is now a one of the successful fighting game.

1 Like

Assuming that because a parent company has a lot of money that it means they will pour cash into a project regardless of projected profits is…unwise

It’s a GIGANTIC step up from their crap bland previous style, i praise the evolution the brand got within itself

As we speak at crazy :+1:285 :-1:1 , for once even internet sheep people got it right lol

14 looked “we have to do a 3D game that looks jap, but we have no idea how to do it, sorry if shit is weak as wet ass-paper”
15 feels “We did it!”
Game looks as if Hiroaki’s art style became 3D (or at least going in that direction), and Hiroaki is the best thing ever happened to KoF

About straight comparision with SFV (wich i have not done)
SFV hav superior tech (and far greater animations), no doubt
But…
-from there i’m not comparing it anymore with KoF-
…stylistically the list of stuff i would complain about is so long that it’s not even worth
Powerful tool, but poor art director behind it
The sore spots you speak about (and i guess we’re limiting it to the VERY sore ones, because otherwise “some” is being far too generous) are the clear sign of an eye that don’t see anything wrong there, and a legendary saga like SF deserve far better than that.
If we count out SF1 and 2 due technical limitations of the time, SFV is the chapter with the weakest style, by far
SF4 looked worse due tech and was’nt Capcom’s art peak either, but artistically was more solid and coeherent
SFV have his moments where it shine really bright, but watching in dark holes of it you can see some mediocre people have been involved in the project, and this is sad because again, SF deserve way better

Maybe if we are very lucky they will they also give some “early year” infos about new mechanincs

But being the communication wizards they are, i fear they will just say Dan will be released right after crapcomcup, something anybody with a brain already guessed at this point

Hope to be wrong, gradually show off new mechanic (like they did with VS2) would really help keep bit of hype alive till late february

You know, ArcSys graphics method is too anime and too Japanese.

I don’t blame SNK for trying to do something a little (just a little) more like SF4 to try to gain a little more appeal towards Westerners; if they do it well enough, they should become more recognized by the Western side of the world.

SNK simply can’t or shouldn’t limit to an Asian market; even though Asians are much numerous than the rest of the world, their games sadly don’t have the same level of playability as ArcSys games as to be able to benefit much from a mere niche captive audience.

I just wish they for once allow them to innovate a little more with the and rethink their strategy. KOF’s emphasis on brokenness with making every character as powerful as they can and not caring about abusive combos alienates a big part of their potential audience.

Sadly, the last time they tried (KOF XII) the game ended up being one of the worst bombs ever (because of different factors) so they went back to their comfort zone to try to makeup for the disappointment they created among the fans.

And their most accessible game in gameplay terms was Samurai Shodown (2018), which paradoxically, is (and should always be) EXTREMELY Japanese by nature, which ends up limiting their potential audience too.

I would actually like them to try again with Fatal Fury. All these ‘pseudo-3D’ approach would have worked great in Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo Switch.

Fatal Fury was fun, novel, innovative, not too technical and quite accessible.

Yes…too Japanese anime for this Japanese anime franchise…

Westerners don’t even like the way SF4 looks!

Selling out your existing audience for a different hypothetical audience that still might not be interested is a huge mistake.

And no art style in the world can hide the fact that Mr. Headphones Von Shoulderjacket is an anime character. Or half the rest of the KoF cast.

The game sold well, that’s what it matters. Going 3D in the graphics was the way to go, the game wouldn’t have sell as well in USA and so, and I think having 3rd Strike, KOF XIII or GG-styled graphics would have made them sell less.

As you said, half of the cast for Easterners. The other half can be for Westerners; there are characters like Terry, Rock, etcetera, that could appeal to different cultures.
And yes, I think they could start reducing a little the anime aspect in some character designs (for example, Nelson or Zarina could be good draws for a wider audience but they’re still designed with too much of a Japanese sensibility in mind). Only a little; they can’t stop being mostly anime, it’s part of KOF’s essence.

Oh, I disagree. It’s not about selling to “a different audience” but devising ways the game could be appealing to various audiences at the same time.

They have to grow at least a little if they want to survive.

Of course you always have some very opinionated people who say “I won’t buy the game if it’s not 100% hand drawn sprites” that would have preferred a BB/GG graphics style, but I still think that alienates more of the potential audience than catches the captive audience.

True, It’s not to appeal with westerner thing, Tekken isn’t targeted to westerner for the chosen style.

The mere choice of 3D graphics over HD spites or cel-shaded graphics like BlazBlue or GG is a choice to make the game appeal to a Western audience.

And it worked, in their favour.

The West doesn’t care about hand drawn sprites (or faux-anime Cel-shaded graphics).

1 Like

It really depends on particular group of niche not tied on west thing.

But we agree it’s niche.

Sprites-based games simply will never be a massive thing again.

SNK will probably get better results to what works for most people, I think. That’s where they can start to thrive the most. KOF XIV was stuck in some middle point, though, as the graphics were HORRENDOUS (that alienated a lot of KOF Classic fans), but XV actually looks decent at least, and if it has a huge roster I think people will accept it.

They should also probably get rid of “anime pictures” team story endings too, by the way. As much as I would love everything (from opening, cinematic videos, character portraits in the selection screen, etc) to be drawn in anime style, it’s a “no go” for most of the Western audience.
I think they do it because of budgetary reasons, though.

Yes it won’t be, but arcsys 2d engine has a different appeal and it’s not on pixel art.

1 Like