Marvel Comics Thread

Heh, to my suprise Marvel did go over May’s maiden name accidentally being Fitzgerald and the webbing ordeal in the last issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

*Q: Themanofbat 03-24-2007 05:15 PM

Inasmuch as I’ve enjoyed JMS’ run on Amazing Spider-Man, I’ve really got to wonder who edits his books, because a few doozies really got by the last issue (ASM #539).

First of all, why does Peter refer to Aunt May’s maiden name as Fitzgerald when it’s been pretty much established as being Reilly?

Secondly, how does Marvel explain the webbing that holds up his black costume at the end of the issue? His old chemically made webbing dissolved within an hour or two, and though we’ve yet to hear how long his new organic webbing lasts, it can’t be forever. Because if it does, then Peter kills the cop in ASM #539 by suffocating him with his webbing (on account that it would have covered his face for faaaaaaaaaaaar too long)?

JQ: Hey, Themanofbat, thanks for the question. As to the first part, Axel, who edits the book, wanted to explain.

Axel Alonso: That was an error. Just slipped through the cracks. JMS emailed us to fact-check Aunt May’s maiden name, and in a glitch, we gave him the wrong name. It was one of those “D’oh!” moments that just got past everyone here. We’ve fixed it for the second print and the trade.

JQ: There you go, Themanofbat, you get yourself a NoPrize! Expect that not to be in the mail.

As for the second half, JMS himself has you answer.

JMS: Going in reverse order…whether or not the webbing lasted over an hour or not is not relevant to the cop, who would have suffocated within minutes if it had covered his nose and mouth, but it did not. The only purpose was to immobilize him.

Second, it’s been established that Peter had to modify his original web fluid so that it dissolved within an hour to insure that nobody got trapped there for an undetermined amount of time and potentially died. Since we did not see the scene in which he puts the costume up there, I would submit to you that he used the unmodified, longer lasting webbing. Since each new batch has to be changed in order to make it last an hour, having the basic materials to put it there would not have been difficult. *

Source -

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NewJoeFridays41.html

Marvel made it official that spidey is now a 25 tonner…the boy keeps getting stronger

Well, I have the ‘Fitzgerald’ issue. Does that mean I’m rich? =p

Off topic: Yo, Sano! For the next 52 Poo, I’m willing to depart with my 1st print Superman Red/Superman Blue with all extras intact AND in the original polybag. :rofl:

So you were the one that paid money for that! :rofl:

Hey if you’re willing to part with it that’s fine. Seriously though, think about it. You may want to line a birdcage one day. :rofl:

J/K. Seriously though, never read it, the concept just always sounded… um, not good… I suppose that makes it a good 51 Poo! Prize though. :sweat:

Yep, he begun with class 10 strength, when he was a 15 years old boy; the Avengers Dissassembled arc left him with a nifty +5 ton bonus and the organic webshooters. And “The Other” further increased his strength, gave him some new powers and apparently took his webbing to the next level.

If MvC3 ever comes out (. . .), I hope Spidey gets the treatment he deserves.

i’m also willing to throw in the first appearance of maggot to the winner. christ was he lame.

Wow two gifts! And more material, I was seriously running out of Liefeld jokes. :wgrin:

For everyone who doesn’t know what the Hell we are talking about I’ll go into the 51 Poo thing on the DC thread when I get a free minute…

I don’t know man I sure don’t want his fake Wolverine claws AKA his stingers popping out when he fights Darkstalkers. See, they come out randomly when he fights against magical / mystical people. :rofl:

Stray thought, now that he has those white triangle things on the back of his hands because of the black suit, the fake Wolverine claws can come out of there! BRILLIANT! Then again… those stingers are really lame… glad no one is writing about those things…

hell i think i also have the one where they explain why he follows magneto. (something about mags saving him)

i think i might also throw in the magneto war. if i can find that. i’d give out my 1st print of cap 25, but i don’t like you guys that much.

deathscythe ima smack you in the face with a trout at evo. just cause

I, as well, own the first appearance of Maggot AND Cecilia Reyes. Because I am awesome. I also part with that four part crapper that John Byrne wrote to end off the first volume of all the key Spidey books. The title escapes me. I have a lot of goodies I can get rid of to clear my name.

Also, Ever, I shall counter this trout with my God Fist Smash. Be ready.

Yeah the Maggot / Magneto thing was where they revealed his origin. I have the comics with his and Cecilia’s first appearance too but for some reason I hate parting with Uncanny / Regular X-Men and / or Spider-Man comics in any capacity, no matter how bad they are. Well, Liefeld hasn’t messed with either too much… And Devin Grayson hasn’t written for either AFAIK…

ok i need to dig up the epilogue to operation zero tolerance. i’m sure someone would appreciate getting that gem.

anyone looking to trade for a moon knight 6 bloody variant? i have an extra if anyone wants to trade for it. i should be getting my books that i sent to cgc back this week. (hopefully)

I was wondering where all the comic talk from GD went…

The only way to makes the fact that everyone knows spider-mans identity is probably form him to change his identity to ben rieley and hope that MJ and aunt may die so he doesn’t have anything holding him back.

Mighty avengers team isn’t really my cup of tea, but cant help but pick up any comic with iron man in it; it is the suit. Secret avengers next issue is going to be really good. I hate ms. marvel, she is such a bi*ch.

Anyone keping up with the ultimate universe? UFF god war arc was going good all the way until they introduced thanos and ronan. the way they were introduced felt like it was rushed and it was pretty much just for the sales instead of the story. USM clone saga was horrible in my opinion and too many clones. UXM wolverine? cable? Professor X? No X-men? If magneto doesn’t comeback soon to knock some sense into cyclops I consider that a wasted arc. Ultimate Power is ver good in my opinion people should read it. Also if you like UP pick up squadron supreme.

Runaways had the best ending if you didn’t read it go read it now. I cant wait for what the new writers have in store for the next arc. IS young avengers coming back or not? I hope so I dont want another Ultimate wolverine vs Hulk.

WWH is going to be awesome; very, very awesome.

Looking forward to Omega flight 1 and for a short series Zemo is a really good series.

anyone picking up avengers the initiative tomorrow?

Finished reading BP # 26 (i think)

Black Panther

Spoiler

Joins the FF 4 a short period of time. But some bugs from the negative zone has landed in the baxter building

I’ll may get the rest of the short saga with the FF comics as well. But after reading a couple of the post-civil war tie-ins. I’ve decided to give em a chance.

Actually, the stingers pop out whenever Peter is startled/shocked, that’s why he has yet to learn to use them :stuck_out_tongue:

I just bought the last Marvel Comic I plan on buying for a while.

Captain America #25, Special Reprint Edition.

after Civil War, I’m gonna leave Marvel alone for a bit…at least until Marvel Zombies shows up in my neck of the woods, in TPB.

anywho, I have a request if anybody actually saved a copy:

**I’m looking for the Daily Bugle (special comic Store promo) from when Spider Man unmasked…it’s got the headline “Parker, You’re Fired!”, I picked one up, but it got lost, or thrown out when I moved, and I really wanna read it.

if anybody’s got one, I’ll give you a couple of bucks for it.**

LMK.

ACK! I accidentally screwed up your post and shortened it, tried to hit the quote button and went for one of my extra mod edit buttons by mistake, not used to having to worry about this when talking about Marvel comics soooo sorry. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

But yeah, I thought in that Pro Wrestler issue they made a note of him popping the stingers out because the guy was using magic. I’ll have to go look at it again…

the stingers are a really bad concept for spidey.
when you think about it, a weapon/defense like that is geared for cqc.
more direct, intense, brutal combat.
not something that spidey’s character has been written for.

imo.

:confused: