Magneto mix-up/reset thread v2.0

UPDATED 6/29/12*

Since the Magneto mixup/reset thread is basically dead, I decided to post some of my labwork.

First let’s see what creates an air recovery state. Basically anything that won’t knock them down.

Causing knockdown/air recovery states

[details=Spoiler]s.:h: and c.:h:causes knocks down and causes ground recovery. There are a lot of dirty things Magneto can do to capitalize on this.

Causing air recovery is different, as basically anything Magneto does that doesn’t cause knockdown, will cause the opponent to air recover if HSD is advanced.[/details]

Any Air Recovery in the corner

[details=Spoiler]
j:h:, :l: Magnetic Blast: Catches people pressing buttons or trying to tech a grab that isn’t coming. Easy hit confirm into c.:h::s: upon landing. Be careful of this option though, as the opponent CAN air throw you on j.:h: startup if they recover forward. If they pushblock the :h:, your magnetic blast will keep them honest until they land while you have enough time to react and dash back in to restart your offense.

Air throws: Come in 2 flavors. You can either do a normal jump and do the predictable air throw or you can superjump up-back and addf :h: OS. This will catch people who aren’t expecting it and even people who are expecting it. An addf :h: OS from this distance is ridiculously fast and is guaranteed to confuse people who aren’t accustomed to it. This will air throw on forward air techs and backward air techs. If the opponent does not air tech, you get addf :h: with Akuma’s tatsu which is just a free mixup because you can go for double or triple overheads (fly :m::s: or fly :m::m::s:), attack low, or throw. Varying your timing will also help in consistently catching people with addf OS air throw. On forward air techs, you can do it as soon as you reach dash height and air throw them a couple feet off the ground right after their tech animation is finished. Once more, experiment with this.

Hypergrav: Not a very good option if they decide to air tech forward, as there is a myriad of moves that will beat it clean and get you killed. I guess it would work on backward recovery is your assist is covering you.[/details]

Vanilla ground recovery mix-ups

[details=Spoiler]The ground recovery section is decidedly shorter because you’re probably going to be doing similar mixups with the different on positioning.
No knockdown recovery: This is a real possibility because Magneto has several different moves that cause this state, such as standing and crouching :h: and simply letting hypergrav drop them. Many players who don’t know Magneto’s normals or how he can great this state may not recover upon knockdown.

Backwards recovery: Upon reaction, simply delay your offense until they recover completely.

Forward recovery(out of corner): This is where things get fun. If you sniff out an escape attempt via forward recovery, just backdash and you get an easy left/right mixup depending on when you choose to attack. This is pretty much identical to Wesker’s option to mixup escape recovery attempts on the ground. Magneto can add to that left/right mixup, a high/low. Forward recovery also puts them in the perfect position for Phil Jackson trijump :l: (shoutouts to ifc ricky) offense. Just trijump as soon as they roll past you, and while it certainly looks like you’ll just be doing a trijump :l: in front of them, you’ll sometimes appear behind him, depending on how you time it.[/details]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ UPDATED FOR ULTIMATE
[SIZE=5]First part of this post is from vanilla but it’s all certainly viable. Less tricky and easier to escape.[/SIZE]

Ok, now let’s get into some of our new options now that we can manipulate gravity. These are all done in the corner. I’ve picked up Sentinel now because Drones are so fucking amazing with Magneto. He would marry those little fucks if he could. These resets and mix-ups are certainly viable with other assists as long as you experiment.

Air Recovery Forward

[details=Spoiler]Air recovery forward – Setup is hypergrav in the corner followed by Drones+s.:l:
Attraction done immediately will cause the opponent to fly clear across the screen and land right on the first Drone. They will air recover immediately after. It is possible to dash in and :s: into your BnB of choice. Attraction timed after they air recover forward will pull them onto the ground into drones literally right behind you.
Repulsion/Gravitation both accomplished the same thing, which is a non-side switch mix-up if you have them conditioned to expect an attraction. Gravitation has more use because you can perform it right as they’re above you, perhaps causing them to believe they’ll fall on either side**[****Super jump :u:, air dash :db::h: - **Just before they cross to the other side, super jump straight up then air dash down back and come down with :h:. Altering your timing on the :h: will allow you to literally choose which side you’re going to attack from. If done correctly, Magneto will still be facing the other side, no matter what, so it adds a visual mix-up as well as forcing them to guard high left/right.
**If reset with sj. :u:, air dash :d: :l: - **Use attraction with varied timing. You can choose with side you want them to land on, in front of you or in the corner. Hella ambiguous.[/details]

Air Recovery Backwards

[details=Spoiler]Air recovery backward
-Attraction seems to be the only worthwhile one here. If you do it immediately as they air recover backwards, they’ll just barely cross you up and get hit by Drones. If you delay it even slightly, they won’t cross you up but it sure as hell does look like they just might. Gravitation and Repulsion just keep them in the corner, but there isn’t an initial side switching mix-up there, so you’re better off doing Attraction so you get the side switch mix-up plus whatever else you wish to do as far as high/low if they block.[/details]

No Air Recovery

[details=Spoiler]No air recovery
-Nothing you can do to side switch but this does mean you will retain superior position with them in the corner. Like backwards air recovery, they may not have to eat your left/right mix-up but they will have to eat your high/low mix-up.[/details]

Ground Recovery Forward

[details=Spoiler]Ground recovery forward
-Attraction will fling them across the screen, no matter the timing, unless you wait until they recover into your assist, in which case you should be mixing them up, not playing with gravity.
-Repulsion is a little interesting. If you perform Repulsion immediately (the resets I’ve been doing have been from letting them drop out of a hypergrav or hypergrav into s:h:+:a2:), they roll backwards a bit while being pushed back by you, then near the end of the recovery roll, they cross you up. Pretty devious shit. If you perform Repulsion any time other than immediately, they’ll be forced to remain in the corner and eat your next mix-up. Easy set-up for unblockables.
-It should also be known that using Repulsion to keep them in the corner will make it so they’re JUST outside of the corner (I’ve been letting them fall out of a hypergrav to set this up). This opens the door for ambiguous trijump cross ups.[/details]

Ground Recovery backwards/no ground recovery

[details=Spoiler]Ground recovery backwards/no ground recovery
-I’m grouping these both together because they’re basically the same situation. Attraction/Repulsion/Gravitation has no effect on sides, so you’re restricted to a high/low/throw mix-up.[/details]

Taken from the Ultimate Magnus thread to get your creative juices flowing:

Alright so now you’re here in the nitty gritty. You’ve just got done mastering all of Mag’s combos… or so you think. Nigga what you think this is? I’m not even going there.

Remember these?
[media=youtube]My3mw1KkfxI[/media]

[media=youtube]6r1PoX5syGc[/media]
Yeah we can do those in Ultimate now.

Example:
[Creator: Kanta-Kun]
[media=youtube]TaQr36BScuM[/media]

Explanation:
This is basically what I’ve been playing around with for the past few weeks and Kanta-Kun (such a good coincidence) uploaded something similar if not the same thing. This combo and it’s variations are used when you’re feeling good about your Magneto.

Leads to free mix ups when blocked. That’s godlike.

Confident one would say because this is the shit that makes people ragequit (for lack of a better term). Even though this games only been out for a short time, people like Kanta, myself and others have already come up with some devious shit.

More swag videos on the way.

Thank you to (in no particular order): Kanta-Kun, bloodabeast, Amazing Ampharos, humbag, Din0

UPDATED 12/18/11
Midscreen mix-up options*
The primary set-up for these is going to be s.:l: to force air recovery in front of you or just let them flip out on their own

Air recovery forward

[details=Spoiler]
Attraction - You can easily confirm air recovery forward. If you do attraction just as they finish recovering, they end up right behind you, sandwiched in with the Drones.
**Repulsion - **Wait until they air recover forward. Walk forward a bit if you need to. Use repulsion as they’re recovering and you can reverse their cross-up. They’ll end up in front of you, eating a face full of Drones/Trijump pressure.
**Gravitation - **You can play with this as you see fit. Depending on your positioning and when you do it, you can force ambiguous left/right cross-ups. Just be sure an assist is covering you or you’re losing Magneto.
**Super jump :u:, air dash :db::h: - **Just before they cross to the other side, super jump straight up then air dash down back and come down with :h:. Altering your timing on the :h: will allow you to literally choose which side you’re going to attack from. If done correctly, Magneto will still be facing the other side, no matter what, so it adds a visual mix-up as well as forcing them to guard high left/right. You can also come down with :s: but that won’t hit from the front if you choose to fake the cross-up.
**Jump :uf::h: :l: Magnetic Blast CREDIT TO KANTA-KUN FOR THIS- **The timing on this is pretty tricky but it’s SO worth it. Perform this just as they air recover forward and the very tip of the j.:h: hitbox will hit them from the other side and following with the :l: Magnetic blast will allow you to land and get in a full combo. Check out his reset video at the bottom of the first post. Truly outrageous stuff.
**Jump :uf::h: air dash :df::h: **- Doing this just as they air recover forward will keep them from crossing you up. If timed correctly, the 2nd :h: will actually cross them up and hit them from the other direction as you air dash under them. If timed a bit differently, you can still cause the 2nd :h: to hit from the front and still have enough time to dash under them for another mix-up. Both of these options can be converted into a full combo with s.:l: :s:. If you do plan on using the non cross-up version, I suggest doing jump :ub::h: air dash :df::h: as the s.:l: is much easier to time that way [/details]

Air recovery backward

[details=Spoiler]**Dash, Jump :uf::h: :l: Magnetic Blast CREDIT TO KANTA-KUN FOR THIS- **The timing on this is pretty tricky but it’s SO worth it. Perform this just as they air recover forward and the very tip of the j.:h: hitbox will hit them from the other side and following with the :l: Magnetic blast will allow you to land and get in a full combo. Check out his reset video at the bottom of the first post
**Dash, ****Jump :uf::h: air dash :df::h: **- Doing this just as they air recover forward will keep them from crossing you up. If timed correctly, the 2nd :h: will actually cross them up and hit them from the other direction as you air dash under them. If timed a bit differently, you can still cause the 2nd :h: to hit from the front and still have enough time to dash under them for another mix-up. Both of these options can be converted into a full combo with s.:l: :s:. If you do plan on using the non cross-up version, I suggest doing jump :ub::h: air dash :df::h: as the s.:l: is much easier to time that way [/details]

No air recovery

Spoiler

Coming soon

I decided to forego writing a section on midscreen ground recovery since:

1. Most Magneto BnB combos carry corner to corner
  2. Given the option, I’d rather take the situational advantage + several mix-up attempts
  3. Best course of action I can come up with is corner carry combo into Drones + repulsion

Instead, I’m going to write a section on opening up people on the ground, as that would be better use of time rather than documenting my findings of slightly different situations where the result is going to be the exact same.

Trijump L pressure - really fast overhead, I don’t need to tell you guys shit you already know.
[LIST]
[]Really good for crossing up even though it only hits Shuma Gorath but whiffs on the rest of the cast.
[
]As a really fast overhead, it’s integral to Magnegro’s devastating high/low/throw mix-up game.
[]Mix in empty trijumps with empty trijumps into c.:l: and trijump :l:for damn near impossible to block mix-ups
[/LIST]
Super jump, air dash :df: :h: is good for applying pressure and cross-ups if you have good spacing. It will also catch people trying to chicken block (remember there are 3-4 vulnerable frames before jumping), convert into a full combo with s.:l: :s:
[LIST]
[
]You can also do air dash :df::h:, :qcb::s:, :m::m::s: for quadruple overhead (you can even do :m::m::h::s: if you’re low enough to the ground)
[]Super jump :uf: or :u:, air dash :db::h: is good for capitalizing on aggressive opponents
[
]Remember that j:h: has a great hitbox, great priority, and gives you several options of converting to a full combo
[/LIST]
**Jump :uf:, pause, air dash :db::h: or :s: **- This is a really hard to react to mix-up that’s good for opening people up while they’re in guard stun from an assist.
[LIST]
[]If timed early, you won’t cross them up and you’ll hit them overhead from the front.
[
]Intermediate timing will result in a really quick side switch (deadly with Drones) and an overhead hit from the front.
[]Late timing will result in them getting hit by the back of your j.:h: similar to the kanta-kun mix-ups.
[
]It’s VERY difficult to discern where you’re going to cross them up or not; I usually don’t even know what side I’m gonna be on.
[/LIST]
**Airdashes during flight **[SIZE=5]- Usually seen as an escape option, whiff punishing hypers from full screen, or capitalizing from throws done at super jump height. [/SIZE]
[LIST]
[]Air dash :f: , air dash :b: :s: is a good way of faking a cross-up and opening people up from minimum air dash height.
[
]Air dash :uf:, air dash :df: :h: I use for mounting offense from outside of trijump :l: pressure. If your spacing and timing is ridiculously good, you can even get the :h: to hit as a cross-up.
[/LIST]
**Super jump, air dash :f::m: **[SIZE=5]- Reserved for use under cover of an assist. [/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*][SIZE=5]Varying the timing of your :m: is going to give you some really tricky, really ambiguous cross-up situations[/SIZE]
[/LIST]

Due to request, I’d like to dive a bit into fuzzy guard and fuzzy guard set-ups. For those who don’t know :

Set-up includes any air to ground overhead such as trijump :l:, :h: whatever into normal jump forward :l: or :m:, which must then be canceled into air dash :df::l: and continue crouching sesame street into a normal combo from there

Yes –
Dr. Strange (j.:l:, j.:m: )
Dormammu (j.:l:, j.:m: )
Dr. Doom (j.:l:, j.:m: )
Ghost Rider (j.:l:, J.:m: very inconsistent)
Haggar (j.:l: is somewhat consistent, j:m: is very consistent)
Hulk (j.:l: is difficult to time, stick with j:m: )
MODOK (j.:l: is inconsistent, J.:m: always works but only off trijump :l: )
Magneto (j.:l:, j.:m: )
Nemesis (j.:l:, j.:m: )
Nova (j.:l: kinda inconsistent but stick with j.:m:, because if done after trijump :l:, it will sometimes hit them from the other side even though Magneto is still in front of them)
Sentinel (j.:l:, j.:m:, j.:h: )
She-Hulk (j.:l:, j:m: )
Storm (j.:l:, j.:m: )
Super Skrull (j.:m: only)
Trish (j.:l:, j:m: after trijump :l: only)
Vergil (j:l:, j:m: after sj trijump :l: only)
Wesker (j.:l:, j.:m: I found the same thing I found with Nova. If you sj trijump :l: and it hits deep, near his knees, j.:m: will hit overhead and from the other side, even though Magneto is still in front)

No – Akuma
Amaterasu
Arthur
C. Viper
Captain America
Chris Redfield
Chun-Li
Dante
Deadpool
Felicia
Firebrand
Frank West
Hawkeye
Hsien-Ko
Iron Fist
Jill
Morrigan
Phoenix
Phoenix Wright
Rocket Raccoon
Ryu
Shuma-Gorath (I did discover while testing though, that sometimes a sj trijump :l: will hit as a cross up)
Spencer (used to work on him in Vanilla…)
Spiderman
Taskmaster
Thor
Tron
Viewtiful Joe
Wolverine
X-23
Zero

NOTE ON UNBLOCKABLES**

Quoted from the Ultimate Magnus Thread regarding options of escaping the repulsion with overhead/low assist trap

nice thread.

been working on resets with Doom missiles and Sent drones assists. it’s pretty sick.

…hyper grav, SJ addf j.H, s.H+Doom assist xx hyper grav (hit standing fierce and call Doom at the same time then cancel into hyper grav), SJ addf j.H, s.H xx hyper grav, s.H (force ground recovery)

basically you want to do the s.H+Doom xx grav part one rep before you go for the reset. unlike the jab-force air tech setups you can do it at any point during the loop and you’ll get the same results. what happens is after you call doom, you do the s.H xx hyper grav then IMMEDIATELY s.H again to force ground recovery.

the missiles will lockdown and punish opponents who try to mash. if they block, you get free pressure while they’re in blockstun and you can go high-low to open them up into another combo, tick throw, whatever. they can’t pushblock when the missiles hit because Doom is already offscreen by the time they appear.

pretty much the same thing with Sentinel except you don’t have to do it one rep in advance.

edit: video

Spoiler

[media=youtube]KRNxv4ALslE[/media]

sorry for the sloppy play, I was in the lab for about 4 hours today and my hands and head started to hurt a bit. just recorded the video before I stopped playing

Nice thread, I agree that people been neglecting mixups (I think that’s a problem with MvC3 in general, with certain chars huge combo capability and DHC glitch people treat combos like end-all be-all) and Mags mixup game should be nuts in UMvC.

I don’t have time to play atm, but with the nature of Mags mixup game I think a lot of this thread should be dedicated to what he can do w/ the different assists. Some theorycraft off the top of my head… Tron/Hagger should be a strong addition with an air reset for obvious reasons. I also remember seeing a video of Doom (or ironman maybe) beams leaving characters vulnerable for Mag to dash in for a normal throw so that should be tested to see if it’s possible to slip in after a reset.

Another good mindgame in corner (against a character w/o airdash) could be to use the airthrow reset to get your opponent mashing H to escape and follow it up with a forcefield - since they are in the air they won’t be able to throw you out of it and with a well timed ranged assist covering you they will be countered if they try to catch you after your forcefield, and if they block or hesitate they will be blockstunned for more mixup (also making the opponent more hesitant about pressing buttons the next mixup).

That’s some real dirty shit hahahaha.

I’m gonna end up dropping Akuma in favor of hidden missles (I mained team cl0ckwork in mvc2 and Doom is just too good in ultimate to not play) so I’m gonna be experimenting A LOT with this sort of stuff, especially considering that from what I’ve seen, heard, and read, hitstun decay is being increased across the board, which will force us to go for more resets and mixups.

I will admit though, that with Ultimate on the horizon, it is tough to find the motivation to be a lab scientist, even if for only an hour.

I plan to maintain to update this thread with all the fucking filthy, disgusting, and unfair things gravitation is going to allow us to do. God speed.

I RECENTLY DROPPED SENTINAL FOR DOOM BEFORE THE UMVC3 DOOM 2.0 TECH WAS OUT THERE…HES LOOKING STRONG BY HIMSELF, N HIS IMPROVED “S” LAUNCHER IS GODLIKE…ALSO I LUV MY TRI DASH CHARACTERS… SWAG NEAT BRO/ VALENTINES DAY MASS JILL/LAZYBOY RECLINE DOOM

lol, last comment on this thread got me rolling.

I don’t know about dropping sentin-AL though. he’s too… classic.

it wasnt easy…but i need a more verse type of character with good assist n dooms that dude

ALTHOUGH JILL N DRONES R BFF’S ON THE LOW -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGOJQQloNc

god what am I watching

LOL YOUR LOOKING @ MY TEAM IN THERE INFANT STAGES …SMH

Just noticed the date. Thank god.

OP updated

It’s a damn shame how keits etc didn’t put frame data for all the characters even when the bible came out a week ago. smh

still though, good shit on updating this thread Aerial. gonna record/upload (like we talked about before) some of the things described for some of the people who want to see how it’s done.

Man I just want to go back to the old days of MvC2. Magneto wasn’t dangerous in that game because of his ROM, it was the fact that within his ROM, he could literally, at any time, put you in a 50/50 or make you guess which side he’s gonna be on, then high or low, then guess the side switch again, and so on and so forth.

I want to spark the creative mind that will get Magneto players thinking about resets/mix-ups instead of lolzomg how do i rom??!??!!?

Your post got me thinking about some stuff that I experimented way back in vanilla, but couldn’t do because of his fast air dash DF

[media=youtube]TaQr36BScuM[/media]

I know it’s not the same, but it’s way closer to MvC2 ROM than current ROM :stuck_out_tongue:
Still on a fucking pad : / Can’t do shit without lots of effort.

I respect the shit out of this video. This is the shit that I’ve been telling people what do with Magneto in this game and you’ve done this. Gonna put this in the Ultimate Mags thread if you don’t mind.

Don’t mind at all!

This video made me happy beyond words. You understand.

I love you.