M.Bison Beginners Thread

I’ve been playing a bunch of matches against a Necalli who’s way better than me. Videos are here. Can’t seem to make any progress at all. I score some good damage but I can’t keep him out at all and as soon as he gets in tick command throw range I get destroyed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Wow, great OP. Really helped me figure out what to do as Bison. Thank you, jchensor

Mmm what are the uses of Psycho Inferno outside combos?

i use it as a confirm…when i input s.mp and i get a counterhit i input the d/f.hp. and when i am close enough i combo it into c.mp

I saw on a combo video that you can punish Ryu’s c.HK (and maybe similar sweeps) after block with an s.HP but I was never able to pull it.

Is it feasible or too much of a situational thing to be of use?

I really just started using Bison, but Mp pyscho inferno at max ranged is a good tool to bait an attack for a whiff punish with cr mp…

That is if the opponent doesn’t have normals that can reach you at max range like a Laura.

I’m having problems getting rushed down. I can block everything all day, but it seems like I can’t get a hit in.

Now, I’m not a great player. I’ll admit that, but it’s like I’ll play against someone, doesn’t matter what character it is, and they’ll use a special move, let’s say Laura using split river. I’ll block it, and they can hit me with a jab or something, but I can’t hit them. Then if I use let’s say lk.scissors and they block, they can punish me even though I block. It’s like unless they do something really foolish then I never get a hit. Just played a Rashid and he straight up never gave me a chance to do anything.

Ok so first with your scissor options. Lk scissors is unsafe on block (it’s -4 on block anything past -3 can be punished) so your scissor option that’s the safest is Hk scissors ( it’s -2 on block). Be aware it’s start up is slow so you should be only throwing this out in space or as a combo ender.

With Laura I’m not sure the particular situation you are referring to but what are you throwing out that’s getting stuffed? Get used to cr mp a lot. Bison’s best button in my opinion that is safe on block an can lead to simply combos for decent damage. The range is also really good.

Next time I log on I’ll see if CFN saved my last battle lounge run. It was a ft3 against a Laura where I frustrated the opponent with frame traps and throws. No one rushes bison down, I’m always at their throat (my bison is extremely inexperienced, so rush down may not be the best, but everything I said before that is true)

Well the scissors kick part I understand now. I’m too used to sf4 where it was easier to use I guess. I’ll try to not do that anymore.

As for the Laura, cr.mk got stuffed a lot. Cr.mp a decent amount as well. I wish I knew exactly when the match was so I’d upload it.

I did manage to have a decent match against a Zangief just now using some of the info learned in the OP. I didn’t use much other than st.mk and cr.hp to control distance and AA. I used mp.blast a good bit to help keep distance and when he did get in I noticed all he did was either try lariat or jabs so I just waited for a chance to do neutral jump hk, st.hk, cr.mp xx mp.inferno. Decent small combo that I can hit consistently. Although it wasn’t against what I’d deem a great player it’s still progress. Again, I’m not great at the game. I have so much fun when winning and then get so mad when losing lol

I hear a lot of people stating that you need to get the opponent in the corner with Bison, but I do not know what you need to do afterwards when that person is in the corner and why is it so adventageous to get an opponent in the corner.

Real helpful thread btw thanks

So I had some good luck playing last night. Won most of what I played, unfortunately 3 or 4 people disconnected so I didn’t get any points nor do I get to show the replays. I really wanted to show one against a Rashid, really showed off some decent pressure in the corner and showing off what I learned in this thread which resulted in a perfect on round 1. Round two was harder, he got in and I had to block and wait for him to make a mistake. He disconnected as soon as I heard KO.

how do i keep up pressure as bison? I go in on the medium punches then flames but then I lose them. Any help would be awesome

s.MP, s.MK for counter poke
s.HP counter poke
s.HP xx MP/HP Blast
s.HP xx MK/HK Knee Press
–If your Knee Press hits, you can mix them up and throw or s.LK xx LP Blast and push them away so you’re back in a good pressure range
s.MP~df.HP (target combo) after you can confirm a counter hit s.MP
s.MP, cr.MP xx MP Blast
s.MP, cr.MP xx MK Knee Press
s.MP, cr.MP xx HK Knee Press (this isn’t a block string, but it will counter some people who mash)
Dash, throw

Getting the enemy into the corner is advantageous with every character in every fighting game as a general rule. It eliminates their option of backing away from you; the best they can do is walk forward or jump, both of which take some kind of commitment and leave you in the advantage of only having to react to what they’re doing. In SFV there’s also the added bonus of them not being able to roll backwards on wakeup.

Have a read through this, most if not all will also apply to SFV.

thanks for the advice, im starting to get it. One last question though, what exactly is a frame trap and how do i set one up with bison?

So Lets just say you make your opponent block Df.HP or psycho axe. Psycho axe is +1 on block, meaning after your axe recovers its animation frames, your opponent is stuck in blockstun for an additional frame. If you push your 4 frame jab after you recover, then your 4 frames get covered by that plus 1 additional blockstun, effectively making it a 3 frame move. Ryu’s cr. jab is 4 frames. If he pushes this after blocking axe, then it becomes 5 frames because of that extra frame of disadvantage. So you pushed an effectively three frame move, Ryu pushed an effectively five frame move. Your three frame move will beat out his three frame move.

It’s called a trap because once your opponent blocks psycho axe, there’s no button they can push that won’t be beat unless they have a three frame normal at which point you’ll either trade or win out. He can frame trap all four frame and higher normals. With three frame normals he risks trade.

Try:

-Df.HP (block) > cr.lp/st.lp/cr.lk/st.lk (these are all four frame normals made effectively three frames. cr.lp is probably best because it links into cr.mp and I believe cr.mk on counter hit).

-St.HK >cr.mp

Thank you!

So I am a new Dictator convert with the changes in SFV and new to charge characters in general. I have a decent grasp on most of his basics, but Devil’s Reverse still escapes me. I struggle to get it to come out consistently. Are there some restrictions on its activation that I am missing or am I just bad?

While I’m asking questions, I have seen multiple people list something like c.MP xx Inferno > EX Stomp as combo but I can’t get that to work either. Is this (juggle?) still possible in the release copy?

@Gryffin: Make sure you’re charging Down for the full 50 frames before you press Up -> Kick. Once you activate Stomp you can press Punch for Devil’s Reverse immediately, or wait to do DR pretty much until you land, so there’s no timing restriction there. If you’re sure you’re charging long enough check Input Display to see if you’re doing something wrong.

Once you’re in V-Trigger mode Bison can cancel into specials without charging, and can cancel specials into EX specials. As far as I know this is the only way to do Inferno -> EX Stomp.

I’m getting the stomp to come out fine, usually, my issue is that it feels like the game is ignoring my inputs. Messing around in training a bit it might be that I am pressing punch too early, like before I leave the ground, and the game is taking it as a mistaken input, but other times I will mash jab about 10 times during stomp and I still don’t get DR.

The problem isn’t with the canceling, it looks like Inferno doesn’t leave the opponent in a juggle state and just falls to the floor even though the hit and hurt boxes “should” have overlapped. So I am wondering if I am doing the cancel too early/late, if it is more of a link/juggle like Inferno > EX Scissors, or if Capcom changed VT Inferno’s properties.