M.Bison Beginners Thread

I’m a Bison noob. Played Dudley and Ryu in sf4. I’m can’t really grasp his usage for Headstomp/Devil Reverse. I know when i played against Bison in Ultra, it was mainly a meter builder/zoning tool and also used to punish fireballs. SFV is so fast that you rarely find your opponent sitting full screen so its use is not clear to me. Do i use it for mix-ups? Fireball recovery seems to be too fast to punish on reaction so I dont think that is a good use. I saw Moons using it as a mixup and the ex-version as a combo ender (which was sick btw). Also in V-trigger u go invisible when doing the DR so this seems like it could be tricky. I’d just like some info on how to use this tool of his, as I am at a loss right now figuring it out.

It looks like using Bison’s V-triggered ex headstomp on OTG opponents can be countered with just a quick rise. Does this mean that vtriggered ex headstomp is pretty much unreliable for OTG opponents? Or is there a situation where I can guarantee to connect?

Hi I’ve never been really good with charge characters in the past and I wanted to give Bison a try since he suits my playstyle. Are there any good techniques to holding a charge consistently with him because i’m having ALOT of trouble doing basic 3 or 4 hit combos with him.

It’s guaranteed on something like st.hp xx hp inferno immediate vtc ex stomp (even hits twice!). Just as an idea, don’t know how good of an idea it is, maybe if you have a life lead or have to yolo it.

Which combos are you specifically having trouble with. When you see combos like s.mp c.mp xx double knee press. It’s actually b.mp db.mp xx double knee press. That way you still have the back charge for the knee press.

Edit: on jump ins. Hold back immediately after you press jump. So j.hp s.hp xx knee press, would be jump, (hold back), j.hp, b.hp xx knee press.

Great post Exceed. Alot of good stuff in there man.

EX Scissors is a hard knockdown, isn’t it?

Yes it is

The thing with OTG V-EX Headstomp is you can condition your opponents to not get up.

I posted a few things in the tech thread that traps 3f stuff on wake up and it destroys R.Mika/Laura/Gief wake up armored moves. Throw techs and jabs lose. People will have a lot of incentive not to get off the ground a lot and this creates opportunities for you to finish them off with a surprise EX-headstomp. By the time they see it coming they’re not gonna be able to get up in time because they committed to laying there.

AND when people do not wanna push buttons on wake up after they know you have traps and they are hesitant to throw out invincible uppercuts (if they have any) or seemingly dominant armored moves on wake up, then you can freely just toss them around and carry them into the corner for more pressure.

Hey guys, first time poster here but I have been playing bunch of online matches and I have been enjoying using Dictator a lot. I used to play him a lot on SFIV and I am so happy that he is such a power house now in SFV. Currently however, I am having a difficulty executing EX Inferno to EX headStomp during VT. Any tips on how to execute this?

You dont have to charge the ex headstomp. You just go straight into it. It’s also a cancel and not a link.

Can anyone offer some beginner tips on charge buffering, both in general and specifically with Bison?

I know the first step is to start charging again ASAP after an input. Hold back, flick forward to SK, and then flick it right back again to build charge during the move’s duration. This is straightforward and easy to practice.

Beyond that I need some guidance. As I understand it perhaps the central challenge of Bison is that he desperately needs to be on the offensive, but you have to be creative about approaching while also maintaining your charge.

The easiest way to do this seems to be to jump in and hold back. His faster jump is nice and in general landing an aerial leads to a lot cute combos & pressure… However, I’m quickly learning how prevalent & powerful anti-airs are in the rest of the cast. An occasional jump in might work out but it’s dangerous. In what general circumstances do you jump in?

I’ve also seen people have some success dashing in for an attack or grab, charging during the dash. Finally, I guess you could also slide in with cr.LK at full range, though this seems unsafe and telegraphed so I’m not sure this is even worthy of being used as a mix-up.

Are there any other options?

Thanks!

Holy crap, I am such a noob! What I don’t realize is that during VT Dictator doesn’t need to charge…Thanks for this tips btw!

He still needs charge. The only thing you dont need to charge is a special cancel like s.lk xx blast. And when you cancel a special into an ex special you dont need charge. So s.lk xx blast xx ex.scissors would need 0 charge.

james chen playing bison, o baby

@shelldell

A misconception about charge characters is that you need to maintain charge at all times. This isn’t true and will limit your playstyle quite a bit, mainly because you telegraph when you’re charging. Holding back walks you back into the corner and gives up space for no reason. Holding down-back is a bit better, but it widens your hurtbox and leaves you stationary. This isn’t the greatest scenario either because opponents with faster walkspeed can space themselves to benefit their moveset.

On the topic of maintaining charge - try masking your charge inside of your normals as you’re playing footsies. This means holding charge as soon as you use moves like st.MP, st.HP, cr.MP, cr.MK, or DF+HP. Note that you won’t get 100% charge if you charge during some of these moves. Utilize the time before and during block/hit stun (or even whiff) to get enough charge, and then decide if you need to use it or not. You can charge for a brief moment before throwing out a normal so you can special cancel it, or you can charge during a move that is easy to hit confirm from - like st.MP.

Trying to maintain charge while moving forward with something that is high-commitment (like a jump or dash) will lose you the game more often than not. If the opponent can anti air or react to your dash, you’ll just be giving them free damage just because you wanted charge. This is a terrible reason move forward. Again, it limits you because you’re moving at set distances which are easily predicted and punished.

The main thing is that you don’t want to held back and just because you want charge. Bison does not need charge at all times to win. In fact, his normals are more than enough to control the space in front and above him.

Also, Bison does not desperately need to be on the offensive. It’s true that his offensive pressure is great, but most of the offensive advantage he gets is from his NORMALS, not his special moves that require charge. A lot of his special moves actually leave him at negative on block! So the notion that Bison needs to be in the opponent’s face all the time is false. He benefits more from defensive play and solid space control as opposed to pure offense.

Besides, his best combo ender is Psycho Inferno… which doesn’t need charge!

Benefit and also trouble for longtime bison players like me is to play footsies, lose charge, and remember that I can buffer pokes into inferno.

What is the point of his target combo (s. MP > df HP)? It doesn’t combo and it’s unsafe on block, so I can’t think of a use for it.

Thanks @Exceed^

That’s a big fundamental mindset shift that will help me to improve significantly. Much obliged.

I also just watched James Chen’s Bison introduction and it also stressed the importance of staying mobile with Bison. I’ll keep both of these lessons in mind and get back in the lab, emphasizing movement and normals.

Take care.

No problem, glad I could help. Keep working on it, and keep improving!

For experienced dictator players, what’s your general gameplan when you are in the match? I have no problem executing BnB, my issue is that a lot of times I am not sure how to approach the opponent. I tend to get panicky in the game and got too scatterbrained. The bnb that I have used a lot of times is Axe>Cr Mp>Knee Press or s.hk>cr MP>Knee Press but since it doesn’t do hard knock down, a lot of times I got lost afterward on what I have to do next. I started to use more inferno combo lately since it does a knock down and provide me with a room to do more set up like a crossup afterward but sometimes my habit of playing charged character kicks in and I did knee press instead. Any suggestion?