Let's Die Together! An ongoing resource for Bryan players

I thought I’d get the ball rolling with some Week 1 combos, frame data approximations, and observations about Bryan. I’ll be updating regularly, so please contribute below and I’ll update!

Normals
First off, after spending some time in the lab figuring out Bryan’s normals, here’s what I think rises to the top:
[LIST]
[]His quickest normals are his st. :lp: and cr. :lp:, both with 5f startups. I tested this by punishing Abel’s :lp: COD.
[
]Although the cr. :lp: is just mediocre, the st. :lp: is one of Bryan’s best normals, mostly due to its insanely long range and easy combo potential. Both are safe on block.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]His next quickest normals are cl. :mp:, cl. :hp:, and cr. :lk:, each with a 6f startup. I tested these by punishing Abel’s :mp: COD.
[
]Cr, :lk: is a bad low poke; it has poor range and awful speed for a normal of that type. Bryan is not a character who effectively applies low pressure.
[]cl. :hp: is a good, fast close fierce that forces standing, allowing you to combo into Flying Knee for good damage, if you’re looking for simple combos. It doesn’t give frame advantage on block.
[
]cl. :mp: is an excellent normal. Decent startup for a point blank normal, it also gives huge frame advantage on block, so much so that you’re still totally safe if you use it as part of a cross rush (tested vs. 3 frame DPs). This makes cr. :lp: x cl. :mp: your go-to cross rush hit confirm string at point blank range. You can link st. :lp: off it as well to continue a combo. This is a good go-to button after a jump in if you want to put some frame pressure on the opponent.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]His other normals are really nothing to write home about. Cl. :mk: is safe and you can link off it, but it’s slower than cl. :mp:, cr. :hk: is a good, fast sweep (7f startup) but has enormous frame disadvantage on block. Cr. :hp: has longer range than cl. :hp:, so it’s sometimes necessary off a neutral jump fierce. The rest of his normals is generally a mess of slow, unsafe moves.
[/LIST]
Target Combos and Unique Moves
Bryan has some fantastic target combos which form the crux of his game.

*One Two Body Blow *(st. :lp: x st. :mp: x st. :lp:)
This is the most common one you’ll be using, and it starts from his st. :lp:. This has long range, starts quickly, and the last hit is special cancelable. It can also lead straight into a cross rush launcher instead of going for the Body Blow. See the combo section below for how to get the most damage out of this combo.

The first two hits are unsafe, but because of the long range your opponents will often find it difficult to punish this.

Mid-Kick To Rush/Gatling Combination (:f: :mk: x st. :mp: x st. :lp: x st. :mp:/:mk:)
This is a canned high-low mixup, with the Rush ending being a non-combo mid hit, and the Gatling ending being an in-combo low hit. The third hit of this target combo can also be cancelled into Mach Breaker, making it almost completely safe (except to certain supers). The second hit is also completely safe, and leaves you much closer than Mach Breaker (in ideal cl. :mp: range).

*Double Back Knucle *(st. :hp: x st. :lp:)
A long range target combo starting from his far standing fierce, on hit you can link this into st. :lp: and go into the One Two Body Blow combo. If you’re close enough (but still far enough to get the standing fierce instead of the close fierce), you can link a cl. :mp: from this, and then link the One Two combo.

*Chopping Elbow *( :f: :mp:)
This overhead is fairly slow, but it has enormously long range and you can link your One Two combo from it. This move is an important part of setting up your Flying Knee mid-range game, as it encourages your opponent to stand.

Sample Combos

Bearing in mind that this is still Week 1, here are some BnBs that I’ve been working on to get us started!

Double Back Knuckle, One Two Body Blow xx :hp: Fisherman’s Hook and Atomic Slam, cr. :lp: xx Flying Knee. 333 damage.
This is a typical combo off a hit-confirmed Double Back Knuckle. It does more damage than anything you’d get off the mid-kick target combo without meter, which justifies the fact that Double Back Knuckle is slower and less safe.

Chopping Elbow, One Two Body Blow xx :hp: Fisherman’s Hook and Atomic Slam, cr. :lp: xx Flying Knee. 301 damage.
Very similar to the above combo, this one simply starts with a Chopping Elbow instead of Double Back Knuckle. Shorter range and less damaging, but it’s an overhead.

J. :hp:, st. :hp: xx Right Left to Spin Kick (first two reps only), cr. :lp: xx :hp: Fisherman’s Hook and Atomic Slam, cr. :lp: xx Flying Knee. 408 damage.
This meterless jump-in combo shows off some of Bryan’s comboing abilities. The cr. :lp: juggle after the two reps of Right-Left to Spin Kick is tricky; you need to hit it very late and buffer the Fisherman’s Hook. You can alternatively use Super after the first cr. :lp: for more damage.

Mid Kick to Rush, Mach Breaker. 296 damage
This combo is situational, and only works on airborne opponents. You’ll often get this when your opponents try to jump at you from mid range, and you catch them on their way up. Alternatively, you may catch them because the last hit of the Rush series is an overhead, in which case you can still combo with Mach Breaker.

Mid Kick to Mach Breaker. 252 damage.
On hit, this does average damage. This combo shines because although it’s technically unsafe, it’s practically unpunishable by most of the cast, due to the huge pushback on Mach Breaker. This can often be abused.

**Mid Kick to EX Mach Breaker, cr. :lp: xx Flying Knee. 354 damage **
Sometimes you’ll hit-confirm the Mid Kick but 252 damage just won’t be enough. In these cases, spend a bar and go for more damage with this combo.

Tag-in combo: st. :hp: xx :hp: Fisherman’s Hook and Atomic Slam, cr. :lp: xx Flying Knee. 398 damage (off raw launcher).
Bryan does huge damage off a tag in, it’s one of his strengths. This is a fairly optimised combo taking advantage of that. You can use a super instead of the Flying Knee for 538 damage instead.

Reserved.

You can do anything such as overhead/double back elbow into one two body blow into recca x2, then do cr.lp into fisherman hook/atmoic slam into another cr.lp into flying knee, this is my current bnb because its easier, and when i play with friends they can easily switch off the second hit of recca, and if they want to switch after I do the full combo I do cr.lp snake pit at the end instead of flying knee, this combo is only bad because fisherman hook does more than recca, but its easier to combo into afterwards and recca builds more meter.

How are you able to get the cr.lp to flying knee after the atomic smash? Me and my friend have benn trying for like 10 minutes and we just cant seem to get it.

The timer is tighter than virgin vagina but once you get it you’ll nail it every time. I do it here if you wanna get a sense of how its done [media=youtube]XCJQ4wp3TNU[/media]

To add to some Bryan strategies:

If you use lk flying knee as the ender then hold back you end up closer to the opponent. In fact you end up at perfect max distance Mid-Kick to Rush range and if they roll just use One Two Body Blow to keep the pressure up instead

I did not know you could combo rekka from One Two Body Blow, I thought you could only get it off a fierce. I’ll check when I get in the lab tonight.

Good to know!

It is worth mentioning that this is a very challenging combo, btw. Picking the opponent up with cr. LP after rekkas is tricky, and so is picking up after the Atomic Slam. Certainly doable, but perhaps not a combo to rely on online.

Also, I think after atomic slam, you can actually do cr. LP x cl. MP cross rush, then link a cr. HP and go into flying knee. I think this is in one of Bryan’s trials. Sounds insanely difficult, but worth looking into.

You can link one two body blow into lp recca, and its bryans easiest juggle, which is still quite difficult, but I have been hitting it like 85-95% of the time online, its really his most consistent combo, fishermans hook is way more difficult, and atomic slam is the worst in my oppinion because if you mess up cr.lp after atomic slam you can sometimes wiff a flying knee and get destroyed. I find atomic slam’s juggle is the most difficult to consistently land, because I sometimes go for cr.lp hp snake pit switch cancel to juggle after atomic slam and if I miss it I essentially lose my chance to get a hurt bryan out of there. I can consistently land cr.lk in bobs apres sweep corner juggle so I find some of bryans stuff difficult, but each day that passes I become much more consistent with my juggles, yesterday I practically had a 100% hit rate after atomic slam, albiet I would juggle just a cr.lp and nothing after, but I was doing it.

This is not a good idea, ever, because not only is it insanly difficult, its not even the best way to deal out damage, in the corner you can do st.lk, st.mp, st.hp, and its really easy in comparison, and removes the scaling from the cross rush, while still giving you the close spacing for close mp/hp, if your not in the corner you should be doing recca or fisherman hook, launching them up, then doing cr.lp into atomic slam, another cr.lp into flying knee, trip, or cr.lp snake pit to switch out.\

Try doing something like one two body blow into hp fisherman hook, juggling with cr.lp into another fisherman hook/atomic slam, then cr.lp flying knee, its like meterless 350+ damage depending on what you hit your opponent with, like if you get a double back elbow into st.hp, into this it does like 430 damage, its crazy.

I’ll try this tonight, it sounds amazing. I’ll update the first post above when I’ve tested it. Cheers!

Personally, I find the Atomic Slam juggle the easiest, but that might be because that’s what I use in my tag-in combo, so I’ve had the most success with it.

Have you found a good use for Snake Pit at all? Besides using it at the end of a combo just to tag cancel?

The heavier versions can be used to tag on a blocking opponnent, because u can come in and do a fast high/low or just keep the block string up with a jab so the second hit connects, THEN going for a high/low while bryans keeping them in block stun, but overall snake pit seems like its best used for switching purposes as its continues to hit the enemy long after you switch out, and doing lots of blockstun heavy attacks.

Printed out your first 2 posts MuayGio, Great stuff for being pretty early on, BTW saw a vid where after an Atomic Slam dude actually got off …another Raw atomic slam…HOW! O_O

Edit: its actually an EX AS into either M/H AS and the vide is by Desk didn’t think to try that.

Here is the vid by Desk ofcourse some cool stuff.

[media=youtube]LogNtuoDjl8[/media]

Entire first part is Bryan X Jak-X

Hmm, good points. I will look into Snake Pit switch in combos and get back.

I think you can raw atomic slam after an ex atomic slam

You can indeed, which makes his EX Atomic slam a great anti air. That’s 308 damage when you use EX Atomic slam, Atomic slam, cr. LP xx Flying Knee, and it costs you about 3/4 of a meter because you’re building meter in the latter part of the combo. You can even go into super for 441 damage, more than if you used raw Cross Arte as an anti air.

It also moves you forward considerably more than LP Fisherman’s Hook, which means you can anti-air a lot more things. A really excellent anti-air option.

What are my options with Bryan Air to Air I feel like I’m relying to Heavily on J Fierce and am getting exposed against quicker normal’s with more priority. I’ll probably test some of this stuff out when I get home from work, but would like to hear your opinions as well.

Thanks i got it now! The timing was just so strict that i couldn’t get it for awhile.

[media=youtube]tGmcdd0ZLpA[/media]
[media=youtube]U44M–ZfAGY[/media]
Here are the two I found… Hope it helps. ^^

I really like that first one alot.

I have been using jump lp, its basically his best air to air.

That said, Bryan’s air to air game is really quite bad. I think it’s best to just stay grounded against a lot of the cast, and only jump offensively.

EX Fisherman’s Hook is an awesome anti-air. 308 damage for free off an easy combo, and it almost always connects. LP Fisherman’s Hook has great invulnerability, but it can be a little finicky to connect and the damage isn’t great. If you land an EX early in the match, you can bet they’ll be real hesitant to jump again if you have one bar.