Let the Spirits Guide You - The AE v.2012 Rose Matchup Guide

The AE v.2012 Rose Matchup Guide

[SIZE=3]Last updated: 11159/2012 - Dudley and Ken matchup added.[/SIZE]

Well, here it is - the matchup thread for v.2012. As you can probably see, this is still a work-in-progress and there are plenty of matchups that need to be covered. If there’s any matchup you’re familiar with, then by all means, contribute whatever knowledge you have. Also, please let me know if there are any typos, misinformation, etc. within the guides. I will do my best to keep this guide updated. Cheers

The writeups in this guide are organized according to the below format with the goal of being as comprehensive and accessible as possible.

Matchup Analysis Template

Spoiler

*Matchup Figure: *

General Strategy

Picking Ultras

Far-Range/Fireball Game

Midrange/Footsies Game

Anti-Air

Punishing

Defending Against Pressure and Mixup

Applying Pressure and Mixup

Option Selects

Additional Resources

Concluding Tips

Listed below are the matchups which are embedded with links to a seperate Google Docs page. This feature allows you to refer to individual matchups without having to sort through the clutter and it allows you to bookmark the page for future reference. In addition, any changes I make to the saved documents will be updated within 5 minutes, making sure all matchup guides are up-to-date.

Matchups

Spoiler

Abel
Adon
Akuma
Balrog
Blanka
Cammy
Chun Li
Cody
C. VIper
Dan
Dee Jay
Dhalsim
Dudley
El Fuerte
Evil Ryu
E. Honda
Fei Long
Gen
Gouken
Guile
Guy
Hakan
Ibuki
Juri
Ken
Makoto
M. Bison
Oni
Rose
Rufus
Ryu
Sagat
Sakura
Seth
T. Hawk
Vega
Yang
Yun
Zangief

List of Characters which Rose’s Fake Corner Crossup Works On

Spoiler

Formula: Back throw (into corner), cr.LP (whiff), j.lk

Works on:
Ryu
Ken
E.Honda
Ibuki
Makoto
Dudley
Gouken
Akuma
Gen
Dan
Oni
Yun
Chun-Li
Dhalsim
Abel
C.Viper
Sagat
Cammy
Deejay
Cody
Hakan
Yang
Evil Ryu
Guile
Blanka
Zangief
Rufus
Vega
Balrog
T.Hawk
Adon
Rose

Fails on:
Seth
Sakura
Juri
M.Bison
Guy
El Fuerte
Fei Long

Tested by holding forward. The characters who the crossup fail on are able to walk out of it.

- Contributed by Trike

I love how this is setup ^_________^…

Rose isn’t done yet?

That’s my calling but I’m not giving away my secrets!!! :(.

Sticky!

I think when we get this stickied that we should get some of the other write ups sk made as place holders and we add on to it.

I’ve added on the stuff from the previous matchup thread already,

There’s a lot of stuff missing from Renegade’s SSF4 matchup thread. I’m a 2012 Rose convert and I’m wondering, in everyone’s opinion, which matchups do you think give Rose the most trouble? Also, how do you think she does against the top tier/more common tournament characters? I’m totally lost on Cammy, seems super hard to anti air her divekick without a trade.

Balrog, Bison, Rufus, Sagat, Seth, and Vega are her significant bad matchups, IMO.

As for top tier characters, she does surprisingly well against Viper and can deal with Akuma quite nicely. Loses to Sagat and Seth, especially Seth. She also absolutely shits on Ryu.

EX Soul Throw will beat Cammy’s dive kick clean. You can also get out quite easily with focus backdash. Trading with cr.HP will always be in your favor. Rose’s cr.HP does 100 damage, and Cannon Strike does 60 damage, 80 for EX.

Vega,Is a lil even IMO and Bison cant abuse what he use to could abuse, Rog is not that hard either,But TBH i think its about how comfortable the player is in the fight. and Akuma and cammy are not a walk in the park 4 Rose…but its winnable of cores.

I’d say Honda is a worser match-up than Bison or Balrog. I believe she has no punish for Honda’s EX headbutt. And reversal butt-splashes are good against her mix-ups also. If you’re not comfortable playing as Rose without fireballs, you won’t go far against Honda. Not saying never throw fireballs, but consider the amount of chip damage one fireball does compared to a full jump-in combo plus a possible reset into oichi throw, or whatever Honda wants to do afterward.

Adon’s a hard fight too, even if the person playing as Adon has little grasp of risk vs reward and doesn’t know much about fighting Rose.

Fei and the twins are bad fights too. Basically anybody who can do a special attack that can carry you halfway across the screen, or put you in the corner, or gives them a safe pressure opportunity is going to test your abilities and patience.

vs Honda IS pretty much ONLY fireballs. It’s a distinct fireball game, it’s not like you can just chuck fireballs against a good Honda but that can go for any characters.

But you have to know instances where you fireball vs not to throw the fireball. But it isn’t the fact that you can’t throw fireballs where Honda actually has a chance to make it seem hard; it’s jab hands, Rose can’t do anything about jab hands. Not many characters can do much about ex headbutt as a punish, but there are certain options Rose SHOULD be doing against him to hit him out pre-emptively.

Adon is scared about 200 damage cr. fierce spiral punishes where it’s enough of a risk to do anything unsafe.

Fei and the twins are no longer hard fights. I didn’t think Fei was any more than 6-4 last game and the twins just can’t keep pressure the way they used to with dive kicks not to mention their normals are quite not there vs Rose. Especially YANG, who IMO does less damage than Rose lol.

I don’t even think Rufus is Rose’s worst match up anymore, honestly, either. I think it’s quite playable. I think her hard match ups are the ones where she can’t hit the damn opponent with her spiral while the opponent has options to beat her out.

Like I think Abel is fucking difficult now :(.

For good reason - most of the information is outdated and inaccurate.

Any thoughts on the Cammy matchup? I´m fine in the footsies, but when he drills you to the corner that´s when things get bad. And against good cammies, DO NOT CROUCH TECH. The throw doesn´t hurt as much as EX dive kick into sako combos. I felt like the only divekick counter was Ex Soul Throw, any normals got stuffed pretty bad.

Fuck Honda. Even if you block jab hands you have to eat a mixup. I got 3-0’d twice by the same Honda in WF and GF today.

It kinda sucks when Honda can fierce and headbutt your spiral blockstrings, then you have to resort to just poking with cr.mp :confused:

Just ran a first to 10 against a Ibuki player and got whooped pretty bad (10-3). It’s like Rose can’t punish whatever Ibuki does on block. I was using Ultra 2.

Footsies were pretty much non-existent. I tried something with st.mk and st.hk, but Ibuki can just super jump back and kunai all day. Blocked Tsumuji is unbelievably safe (if she doesn’t go for the followup, the pushback of the move seems to leave Rose out of range; if she goes for it, it’s safe on block).

I couldn’t zone her either (guess I was too afraid of eating a neckbreaker). Any tips on this particular (and IMHO, annoying) matchup? Thanks in advance.

finish your strings with sparks then :confused:

but people should look at Rose’s frame data seriously. A lot of her normals are really safe compare to other characters in the game (like viper not being able to punish rose’s cl.HP on block(-3), etc).

Only cancel your normals when you hit them if they have a way to counter you even if you finish your string with spiral or spark. You might even bait them and counter them after they attempt to hit you in betweenyour untrue blockstrings.

There are some characters where Rose just can’t finish her blockstrings so you should take this to your advantage and mix it up (like after a cr.MP do a MP soul spark / delayed MP spiral / nothing at all / wait and dash throw/cl.mk, etc etc )

jab spark is too negative for me on block and when I tried to HP spark frame trap he Ultra’d during the interval >_>

You still have MP spark to try :stuck_out_tongue:
Or just do nothing at all :stuck_out_tongue:

Simple OS vs Feilong mid to far range:

Throw spark, followed by hp spark (hcf+hp):

• if 1st spark is blocked/fa. Hp spark comes out.
  • if he ex chicken wing. Far hp comesout (spark 1 still on screen). Beats ex chicken wing.

Maybe I can do something similar with ex spark os ex st.

If you have enough time to do a far HP against a chicken wing after you shoot a regular spark, you have enough time to do cr.MK to make ex chicken wing whiff and get a full punish after you duck.