Learn Footsies to Make Your Ground Game Not Suck

UPDATE: The Footsies Handbook index now contains summaries and links to every chapter. So this project is completed for the time being, but i’ll continue writing startegy articles every Saturday about different topics.

When i first found the tournament scene back in CvS1 days, i remember it took me a very long time to understand what people like Valle and Choi were doing on the ground to control the match. At first sight it seems like a bunch of normal moves and pokes, but there’s a purpose behind them.

I was lucky enough to be surrounded by SoCal footsies when i was learning. Not everyone has the luxury of living in a fighting game hotspot, so i’ve been writing these articles to give everyone the same head start that i had. If you want to compete at tournament level, you absolutely need to know this stuff. You don’t have to use it but you have to be aware it exists.

Now that i’ve written five or six of these, i figured i’d mention them here. If you aren’t already using these tactics, i really think they’ll help improve your game overnight. First off, here’s a primer explaining the concept:

What Are Footsies?

If you already know what the term means, feel free to skip that one and get right down to practical applications. Each of these articles covers three or four specific tactics which you can integrate into your gameplan to make it a little more solid:

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 1 - Footsies 101
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 2 - jab/short feints
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 3 - how to use the corner
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 4 - baiting supers
Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Chapter 5 - jumping without dying

These usually take over 10 hours to write simply because good examples are hard to come by, but i’ll keep it going every Saturday for as long as i can. I hope you guys find them useful and thanks for reading.

Thanks a lot, Maj!

Awesome article Maj, as always.

Thank you very much Maj! This is very helpful!

I read this the other day. most valuable lesson: Hide behind a table.

Wow I wish work was over so I could read these! Already recommended for an article though… god like post dude, just god like.

Awesome articles. Very helpful.

Most of the random people at the Magfest game convention I went to could have used this. :lol:

Wow this is very helpful, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I always get anxious and try to jump over my opponent when in a fireball battle or when he’s running away and then I get punished for doing so.

Great read and watch!

This just made me want to play SFIV again…lol.

great articles. i definitely benefitted greatly from it. thanks and keep up the good work!

This stuff is great!

Obviously…

all hail maj

that was a good read.

10/10 for good explanation and sourcing.

I Nominated. Everyone else should do the same.

Excellent read. I was about to go to sleep last night and I was up all night reading this. It definitely helps me understand the different psychological fundamentals of SF, which I find applicable in just about any SF games.

Yeah, I’m glad you got on the front page bro. You deserve it.

done!