"Lay Hands on'em!" Gen Video Thread

Yeah Daigo factor is serious. I just wasn’t walking up like I was supposed to.

I wouldn’t particularly like doing the roll in that situation because I feel it leaves me with no options if it’s blocked… the spacing seems kinda funny too. I like using the roll for position, like off of jump ins where I’m not sure if they will block or get hit, I just double kick into crouch strong fierce roll. If they block it, I push them into the corner and get some chip. I think I’ve said before though, I’m gonna start looking into more uses for the roll.

The crossup can beat dragons so long as you time it right, which I wasn’t doing at first.

Shut the fuck up Jibbo. You weren’t free, and that’s all that matters. Not being free vs Daigo is a very good accomplishment. I’m sure you’ll play better but you can’t feel bad about your performance.

Thumbs up. Good shit. :china:

I think that’s because Gen’s tools to go through fireballs are pretty uninteresting so in reality “the matchup” is just Ryu’s standard keepaway. Fireballs, fireballs, dragon punch, knowndown, mixup…

well aside from a few execution errors, like crane low short focus backdash, you played it correct, but yo i didnt see any early jump mantis mk’s…what made you not do them

I was so damn hesitant. My train of thought was

• I’m near the corner
  • Get out of corner with crossup
  • Tunnel Vision and do the scrub ultra from trial mode
  • He blocked it, GTFO cause you’re so committed to doing something stupid
  • Oh shit it hit him. Uhhh… :confused:

:lol:

Early jumping forwards weren’t present because I felt I had to establish Gen’s jump in combos first. That and along with his focus. I regret not using more mid range pokes. Daigo has some serious balls though, to just dash up space with fireballs and dp on wake-up. But like I said before, I wasn’t sure how he was gonna approach fighting the character, so it was difficult to gauge what to threaten him with at first.

SimpleKiss: Being “not free” isn’t good enough, especially when I was in position to win. It’s more of a defeat than anything accomplishing for me. Not to sound negative about myself but I like to be real. I was in winning position and I made bad decisions. I fucked up a lot of execution too. For me, the only thing good about that is that my mistakes are evidence of where I can improve on.

And to think, if I would have beat him, Daigo’s chances of winning the tournament would have shot down… not to mention I would have made it out of pools and probably placed a lot higher – perhaps with money in my pockets. I appreciate your support in trying to make the situation more positive, but look at it from my perspective. When it’s all said and done I lost. Being close to victory and losing is just as much a loss as being free and losing.

On the Jibbo vs. Daigo match: That was very impressive. Daigo winning the first 3 rounds though shows that Gen can’t just surprise people to death. You really have to out-play your opponent, and you were pulling it off for a while. It’s actually weird when you know your opponent doesn’t know the matchup, because both players have to make a lot of adjustments very fast.

Just to point out something hopefully a little more constructive: I don’t think you anti-aired Daigo once. I’m sure he recognized it too, because he was actually jumping in quite a lot as the match went on. I find myself using crane c.HK as AA more and more against Ryu players these days, since it works well at their favorite jump in distance.

Also, you could have had at least 1 free crossup wall dive. There’s no reason to hold back or feel guilty about using a trick like that. If he ate an ultra or two, it’d be his (country’s) fault for not knowing the matchup.

Anyway, lots of recent videos from local casuals. No commentary this week, but it’s a direct HD feed this time.

Me vs…
[media=youtube]SfChVR4GY8o"[/media]
[media=youtube]giIhBoPSO-E"[/media]
[media=youtube]TArCH6sQMtQ"[/media]
[media=youtube]xpz8oIikycg"[/media]
[media=youtube]M4s9Oj-3vRo"[/media]
[media=youtube]RMZKTYLVuz0"[/media]
[media=youtube]3x4Ta0uCThk"[/media]
[media=youtube]w9cIyQQmhMk"[/media]

My execution’s been off lately. The worst part is that I keep getting EX hands for some reason lately and it’s frustrating me, causing more dropped combos.

HAHA!! YEEEEBBBB MY DUDE! I SEE YOU…that east coast level 2 focus game comin into play…good shit boss, good shit

Thanks. Like… I’m just now learning that anti-airing ryu is kinda goofy vs. his arch and jumping roundhouse. With spacing you can’t use Gekiro, so it really seems like you’re absolutely right to just use crane cr.rh or mantis cr fierce.

Luckily I money matched Chris Hu’s Ryu after everything was said and done. He basically told me I was money matching him :lol:. That should be an excellent match to watch once it’s put it.

Haha yeah, was just about to say I see some JiBbo in Yeb’s Gen. :lovin: Next thing you know we’ll see some fadc mixups and kara back throw! Yeayuh! Good shit good shit.

edit: meant ryu’s jump roundhouse, not stand roundhouse

Thanks for posting Yeb, good vids.

Question for you and Jibbo. I haven’t watched every vid but I noticed that you guys didn’t really ever go for super all that much. For instance I would notice with a full meter Jibbo would punish with:

mk xx hands > mk xx hands > fadc > s mp > s mk xx hands > s mk xx hands > fadc > s mk xx waterfall

Seriously pretty combo that I will NEVER be able to pull off. Plus it spends the entire meter basically doesn’t it? What I can pull off consistently is:

mk xx hands > s mk xx super > waterfall or ultra with meter

Obviously infinitely easier to pull off and with ultra the damage is more is it not? I am obviously not at the level you two are but much of my game revolves around landing a super. If you spend the same amount of meter with the fadc’s, why not try for super combos?

Depends on the situation. I suspect sometimes it’s more convenient to go for whatever is on the brain rather than most efficient. Often times you’ll see people do whatever they were going for initially as a punishment. It’s not easy to make that adjustment, especially when you’re unfamiliar with the situation that just happened.

With that said, there are some possible advantages to doing the fadc combos/mixups or straight bnb rather than doing the super as punishment. If it’s a fireball character and you punish with just straight bnb combo or knockdown, you reserve the threat of a super so he’ll be less inclined to throw fireballs. If you punish with fadc mixup or combo, you still keep bars of ex-oga or another mixup etc etc. Those kinds of things I’ve learned from 3rd strike. How to reserve threatening options and reasons why.

Ever since watching Daigo play, I’ve just been thinking about options. That’s all he would do. Approach you with options. Knock you down. Options. In the air. Options. I think that clearly defining those with Gen is the next step for high level play for me personally.

Probably tomorrow I’ll do and time by time analysis of my Daigo match.

:rofl: Not sure I get what you mean. The only matchup where I’m really using FAs differently these days is against Ryu. It’s actually due to the advice Sanford gave me. I think he said that Rahsaan likes to use FAs to hit Ryu in the recovery of his fireball, so I got to trying it out. I knew it was possible, but I REALLY underestimated the distance where you can still hit Ryu’s finger tips and just how late it can be used. I’m also going for counterhit level 1 FAs when Ryu’s trying to do c.forward to fireball. I don’t think I actually pull it off against Shady in that video, but it forces him to play around it. I’ve only been playing against him offline frequently since after Bar Fights, and I think we’re both learning a lot about the matchup.

Also, I’m starting to use c.MP to hands more and more lately, against any character. I’ve liked it for a long time because it’s much safer to throw out randomly than Gen’s other pokes; not only does it recover faster than anything else Gen has, but it’s naturally safer as a crouching poke. Lately though, I’ve actually tried using it like Ryu’s c.MK, which happens to be the same speed. I just abuse the safety of it, especially when I have super (people hate that whiff-hit confirm) or when I’m trying to establish my anti-airs/bait jump ins. Once my opponent’s scared of jumping, then s.MK and c.HK become much safer to use. What I really want to do though is mimic the way Ryu players whiff c.MK and then DP if their opponent jumps over it - I’d just be using an anti-air MP super instead.

Sanford and Rahsan = EC…lol ergo the eastcoast focus mix ups, and im pretty sure ive mentioned it to rahsan in the past, and im damn near certain jibbo helped rahsans gen as much as he has mine, so give credit where its due boss.

I think all jibbo means by his statement “bitch im the originator of that tactic, you lucky i havent copy writed it yet :mad:” (not his words but if i was him thats what id say)

I was trying to credit EC players! I gave credit to the people that were directly responsible for me hearing about it - literally every person I knew was involved (all 2 of 'em). I can’t remember Jibbo posting about it, either. If he did, feel free to link me to it, because it may include some more useful information.

Seriously, why are you always trying to start something? :rofl: It’s way beyond ridiculous.

EDIT: Actually, never mind that question. Let’s agree not to have another thread get hijacked, ok?

whos tryin to start somthin…IM JOKING lil homie relax lol, its how we do it in the south east, joke all damn day

Oh, I never noticed these videos were up. They’re actually from a tourney about a month ago, but they were only posted last week.

[media=youtube]jmYOUh7aNqM"[/media]
[media=youtube]K2nULxn6WGQ"[/media]
[media=youtube]Hir5LcTiSUg"[/media]

It was my first time playing against Gootecks, but ShadyK had played me quite a lot already (only online at that point, though).

Khio was a weird matchup, but an interesting one. It was actually my second time playing him, because he sent me to the losers bracket earlier in the tourney. Watching him beforehand, I seriously thought “wow, this Zangief almost never mixes up his jump ins, I should be able to anti-air him for free.” Then I played him and learned he found a way to time the j.HP to make it really hard to beat with my c.HP. I always knew Zangief mixing j.MK/anything is hard to stop consistently, but I wonder if slight variations in j.HP timing can be enough to throw off my AA. I think I may have been timing the AA just slightly too early, but the weird results (both attacks whiffing!?) got in my head bad.

Zangief is a matchup that I didn’t (and still don’t) have nearly enough experience with. Since then though, I’ve learned to use the crane c.HK more when I’m close enough to hit short hops, and just as importantly, I learned that mantis c.MK is really good for low profiling under Zangief’s s.MP. It’s like the only matchup where c.MK has become a primary poke for me.

Cool fights against Gootecks Yeb… pretty stuff.

Money match vs Chris Hu - http://frame-advantage.com/beta/bonus-matches/781-chris-hu-ryu-vs-jibbo-gen

Yeb, this made me happy [media=youtube]K2nULxn6WGQ#t=4m33s[/media] Whiff punish low roundhouse, stand fierce to force stand. :encore:

You should grab gief on wake-up more.

you should play tekken6 more

well. its time for you guys to see my 1st footage lol
I didnt do any flashy combo like Mk>hands fadc etc etc… but did some nice oga mix ups =P
Going to upload more later.
These are just casual matches online by the way.

[media=youtube]WbjjCs6sTLI[/media]

Me vs Gouken, 2nd round is where the fun is at.
[media=youtube]hif_cYZ6Oys[/media]

Holy hell man, you kick ass!