Kuma Teams

I guess I’ll be running Rolento/Kuma. I’m used to characters that have godlike normals and pokes so I need Rolento in this team. At least until I get over the fact that Kuma’s are not really the best.
Seems solid, but which team that has Rolento on point doesn’t… :wink:

yeah yoshimitsu is the best character in the game…for making your other character good.

balls by himself yoshimitsu is the best teammate for any character in the game.

Running Kuma with Hugo on point while I wait for Jack-X to be released.

Team meterless damage lollerwuts is goooooo!

Hugo on point is pretty ballsy. I usually use Kma on point because he can tag Hugo in right on too of the opponent.

But yeah, also waiting for Jack.

The reason I run with Hugo on point is because I feel he has better options at keeping people off him, his pokes are amazing compared to Kuma’s and the armour on his clothesline is much easier to access than having to go into HBS and then into break’n with Kuma.

Whenever I stick Kuma on point people just instantly try to rush him down and currently I’m struggling to keep them out or get them off me. Hugo has an easier time keeping people out/away. A few well placed pokes at the start of the match with Hugo and I find people quickly stop rushing in and start to respect that poke range.

That’s only because people currently have a ton of respect for Hugo’s armor. Once poeple realize how easy it is to get through it with the right moves, they’ll stop respecting it and your Hugo’s going to start having trouble. Hugo, all things considered, is probably on the low end of Point role characters.

Yeah definately, I’m not saying Hugo is a great point character. I’m just saying that for me right now, Hugo is working better on point than Kuma for my Kuma Hugo team.

Hey guys, just stopping by to let you guys know that today I took the local Vegas tournament (I’ll link the results page when it’s listed) using only Gief x Kuma.

I did not lose a single set. I just want you guys to know there is hope for our lovable bear. We can make it happen if we put in the work and make good reads.

congrats, cant wait for the vids. Hopefully I’ll have some vids by the start of next week.

Congratulations Shira, would love to see videos.
Sorry library computer has broken spacebar.
Anyway really looking to try Kuma for hilariousness and new style but do not know which of my vets to pair him up with or even if he should be point or anchor. My best character is Nina so Nina/Kuma seems practical, but I am intrigued about point Kuma. My secondary is Paul, which would produce the best team in terms of hilarious win scenes but would be poor on synergy. Also a Hwoarang and Bob player, will likely try to learn Ken, Claw, and Julia in near future, as well as Xiaoyu if her execution is not impossible. Any advice?

I was scared of your post until I saw your spacebar was broken. Anyway Nina is a really, really good character, you should probably keep her on point. Kuma should always be second imo. Paul should also always be second so don’t use him with Kuma.

Nina is really good, even I can win with her and execute her best combos =p

I never thought Kuma should be anything but second, given his mobility and affection for meter, but the majority of teams here seem to have him in point. May I ask why that is your preferred style of play?

kuma has the best meterless exchange damagewise and scaling wise. which is why i put him on point.

can’t beat HP MP HP launcher (with an aerial first if viable)

Exchange meaning specifically pre-launch combo, or just general meterless? It’s certainly a reason I am interested in Kuma, since I feel more comfortable saving meter for counters and other defensive actions. It’s actually beneficial for a second character for me though, since Nina has an incredibly damaging meterless launcher follow-up, so I’ll often get her in with a Manual Launcher despite her being my point.

his launch combo isn’t ABC launcher it’s HP MP HP launcher which results in 150-200 more damage and better scaling :slight_smile:

Yeah, I just meant whatever he uses pre-launch, not necessarily the boost. I’ve been using the >lmp target combo to prelaunch since it does some more damage, but yours is even better, thanks! Kinda worried about hitting the heavy though first since it is a heavy, I guess that’s all about positioning and timing, perhaps punishing? All in the practice.

usually you don’t get more than HP MP HP at long range. but it’s still a decent punish for pokes. the second hit (MP) hits a huge area above your head and can be used when you predict jump in also. it’s good for punishes or off an aerial mostly. a.HP or a.MK cross up. a.HP HP MP HP launcher does about 400 damage and then you can add on whatever post launcher as extra with no meter spent. very unsafe close up though.

Sure no problem. I use Kuma on second because pretty much all of my meter goes to him, but that’s not the main reason. Imo Kuma is much more frightening when you bring him in on an advantage, because his mixup game and damage output are insane, and with meter he is a wall of defense (aka EX FB).

I use Gief x Kuma, so Gief does all the initial footsie work, launches Kuma in, and depending where I am on the screen and what character I’m fighting, I’ll use either FB or the lp ending on Megaton to prepare some setups for rolls and general wakeup.

Kuma does decent on point, but IMO Kuma should always always have one bar, just so that your opponent can’t make a mistake without taking some serious damage.

Heihachi/Kuma or Kuma/Gief

see with heihachi/kuma you deliver a crazy amount of pressure and damage with both of their great mix-up abilities, with Kuma/Zangief its kind of just taking advantage of both of their armored and projectile proof moves and playing it safe and patient with gief or pelting them with attacks with kuma. With either of these teams punishing leads to a fuck ton of easy damage and getting in and staying isn’t spectacularly difficult.

Plus with Heihachi you get that awesome intro cinematic.

kuma awesome I just haven’t found the synergy im looking for him yet. I use sagat and kuma at the moment but it feels like im just playing the characters individually. its a good idea to use him with some who can handle characters like chun li and ibuki and juri because of their speed.