Ken Q&A Thread: Got questions? Ask/search here before making a thread!

Whats the trick to, st. fp > vskill > cr. mp? no matter how I time the run or how fast I cancel it into cr. mp it won’t connect, vtrigger on and off. :frowning:

There is no trick, it simply doesnt work :smiley:

after st.fp (crushcounter)> run, you’re +4.
That’s enough time for cr.lp>mk tatsu or b.mp~hp target combo.

cr.mp is 5 frames startup. Wont ever connect, on normal hit st.hp>run is only +3 even

There is no trick, it simply doesnt work, lol that makes me feel much better! swear I saw it done. Did it work in the beta?

no exp with beta ken, very sorry

Wondering what people are doing for crush counters in different situations. I’m currently using st hk>vskill>m.tatsu>ex shoryu. Reasoning is that this can punish from good distance away, interested in other options

Is Ryu’s shoryu invincible as a reversal/wakeup (or does he have any invincible moves)? I can never seem to properly meaty Ryu or Ken (or really anyone with a shoryu). Always get blown up. Super annoying.

Can someone help me with Dhalsim? I can’t seem to get around someone who does nothing but st.mp/st.mk. If I jump in, I just get hit by cr.mp. If I try to creep in, I can’t seem to block either the st.mp or st.mk in time. I’ve tried hitting his arms with stuff like my own cr.hp while they’re out in the open, but that’s unreasonably difficult to do consistently. If I try to play a fireball game, he just goes over/under/teleports/whatever. :frowning: :frowning:

Keep in mind, I’m new to SF and I come from Tekken, so everything seems ass-backward to me in this game.

Medium Uppercuts tend to have invincible frames

st.mp or b.mp > run as a whiffpunish
cr.mp should work too

each fireball is a free dash up or run (potentially even stepkick if close enough)

Question of my own:
is cr.lp(block), cr.hp a viable frametrap?
same with st.lp and st.hp

I really have trouble to stop people from pressing buttons up close…

Thanks for the advice. I also had a friend suggest using med srk if the dhalsim is literally doing nothing but that, which I didn’t even think about and will have to try next time. I just don’t have the eye yet to figure out what the proper responses should be for various situations.

I’d not go for med uppercuts to punish limps. If you misstime it you eat 2x st.hk crush counter combo from sim.
Stay solid, the risk vs reward isnt worth it in that case

You can use light DP from just outside of their range if they do their long slow limbs from max range and you spot some kind of timing, or feel like making a read. Even if you miss it, it is mostly safe. If you hit he is knocked down so you can dash at him. I am not fighting high level dhalsim but this works pretty well.

So I’ve been struggling with a low hit confirm options. Kens low hit confirms, is there any that exist? The low short jab dp is hella a lot harder to do in Sf5. I’ve tried setting the dummy to random block and hit confirming this and I get it right maybe 60% of the time. Maybe my young man reactions are slowing down. Is there any other ones? I’ve been using target combos exclusively but I would like to have options for mixing up with the high low game.

the only other practical confirm he has off a low is cr.LK cr.LP xx LK tatsu (which does pitiful damage) or EX Tatsu. the old multipurpose low confirm cr.LK st.LP st.LK still works, but only on crouching opponents though.

cr. LK, cr. lp, ex hado too

Two quick questions… I’m trying to maximize Ken’s normals and get a use out of everyone. When is the best time to use s.hk and can I use s.fp during footsies to fish for a cc or is it too slow?

I use s.hk quite often, only when at max range for it. I think it’s good in a lot of cases, pressure, CC fishing and whatnot.

I don’t fish that much with s.fp although I do try sometimes. I like to meaty it on wake up, at my level it works quite well.

Noob question here I feel that I am extremely afraid to keep pressure on characters with strong wake up options even tho I do fine with character with weak ones. Do you guys have any tips for characters such as Ryu or Ken for example? Do you have to just say fuck it and maybe you’ll eat a DP?

[quote=“J_ism, post:33, topic:177723”]

I struggled with cr. lk > cr. lp > fp. srk for a while, then someone recommended cr. lk > st. lp > fp. srk if you start at crouch back for the low kick then quickly move the stick to forward for the lp then all you have to do is move the stick to down forward and hit the hp for dp. As far as hit confirming I mainly use this on hollow jump ins to catch them blocking high, it has a high success rate if your jump in is timed right. If they block the lk there are a lot of block string options to end with.

cr. lk > st. lp > fp. srk is an easier input then adding the st. lk at the end, and hits standing and crouching.

Anyone else feeling left out that ken doesn’t have a move that teleports him to the other side of his opponent, or an attack that crosses through then changes direction? I hate Nash’s teleport and cammies change of direction attacks, etc. Mainly just cause I suck at defending against them :wink:

Only 5 members of the cast have crossup moves. Ken hasn’t ever been about left-right mixups throughout SF anyway (to my knowledge)