Ken Match-ups Thread: "Strong fighters such as yourself make it worth staying in shape!"

Yes @Rizhall! That move, haha.

Playing Dudley and Cody seems to have helped us in this game huh @MochaLatte? Nice matches btw!

[quote=“MochaLatte, post:40, topic:178295”]

Seen some posts about Chun being difficult to deal with in neutral. It’s true that her buttons have more reach, but one mis-spaced normal and she risks getting whiff punished with b.mp into MK Tatsu, which leads into Gecko’s OKI triangle. B.MP can whiff punish every medium or heavy button she uses with consistency, and yes even her crouching normals. If you’re reacting on the first visual cue then you can also catch her forward dash, the only time buffering can be risky if she dashes in and blocks but you’re likely to catch it on recovery if you’re ready to react fast enough. Here’s a match of me vs a chun player. Hate to be a scumbag and upload my wins but I think it can be educational. I plan on uploading other matches win or lose as long as they highlight certain concepts being put to use in real situations. Next time I have a long set against Valiant’s Bison I will upload some matches too

[/quote]

Yo, good shit! You play like I want to, man, damn. It’s awesome to see my setup being put to use at a high level! Viscant is no push over either.

[quote=“notGeckoRoman, post:42, topic:178295”]

Godlike!

Thanks for the video i honestly wasn’t using b.mp in footsies at all

Here is my footage.
twitch.tv/grubbs_fgc/v/50237016

I’d greatly appreciate any tips on this matchup.

Also, compiling a massive Ken guide for everyone.

Playing Dudley has helped alot, and after messing around with ken in the beta I realized that he has a similar play-style so yeah he’s the perfect fit!

Thanks man :slight_smile: that oki video you posted helps a lot especially in this matchup

I’m glad man! I’m working on another one right now, though the setups are more finicky and a bit tougher timing wise, but hope fully it’ll still be applicable with time and practice.

@MochaLatte Definitely feel the same way! Let’s play soon!

@notGeckoRoman Yeah man, that oki triangle tech is so good! Helped me tons in finding out manual meaty times off different wake ups.

Found out that CH F.hk combos into l tatsu, should also work if just perfectly meaty. This makes Gecko’s setup even gnarlier

Also Birdie’s st.mk and cr.mk can be whiff punished by b.mp into ex tatsu at the same range. His cr.HK is punishable by ex tatsu max range. His slide and his shoulder tackles are punishable by HP.Srk, abandoned using b.mp to punish his armored shoulder tackle since it whiffs sometimes after blocking, srk is more reliable

New guy here. Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the Karin-Ken MU. As far as that move where she does a 2 hit overhead into the slide you can actually punish her when they land before the hit box connects. The Hard Punch version I was able to consistently land a cr. MP into B. MP target combo. The Medium version can be punished the same way but I found it to be more difficult so at times I’d opt for a cr. Jab into run and depending the height I hit Karin out of it I would stay on the same side or cross under. I doubt good players will throw it full screen but it’s a good option to know atleast to blow someone up who does it

Off of my setup you only get the followup if you get an overhead counterhit in the corner. It’s not meaty enough to confirm off of anything without that. The overhead being in the wheel of options is just good for letting you threaten the low or throw and because it can cause a scramble situation/ let you press buttons after if it hits because of the spacing midscreen, or in the corner puts you close enough to probably threaten throw? Not sure on that last part. But yeah, unfortunately with my setup the overhead is almost never meaty enough. Gotta just make a read on that.

My boy went and threw our set on yt.

Not understanding this mu well.

https://youtu.be/zyJ5fdh34og
I’d greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks

You gotta get more comfortable with just walking around not doing anything. You miss some AA’s and get jumped in on because you’re trying to throw fireballs all the time. get more comfortable with walking and poking, and jump less.

So we can agree that b.MP whiff-punishing is an extremely important aspect in the Ken vs Chun matchup? I’ll put it in the notes for vs Chun. I hadn’t really thought to use b.MP that way myself, I’m more of a hadouken zoner. I’ll definitely have to give it a try :slight_smile:

b.mp catches so much crap from a ton of characters. it’s really gross.

Is it because there’s no forward movement or extended vulnerability, so it’s really safe to throw out, and being 4 frames making it a lot easier to react to punish with it?

It’s relatively compact and hard to whiff punish and, seems to have a pretty good hitbox, as well as being quick. All the components of a good whiff punish button. Admittedly I hadn’t realized that til I saw MochaLattes video though.

I have an Evernote doc made. I haven’t finished it yet, but here’s some match notes for each character.:

Nash
Wants to play within st MK (far) range or cr HK. He has a good cr MK
His command grab special can be DP’d on reaction
His jumping slice can be DP’d on reaction
He has to commit to teleporting; if you see it, react accordingly
Be careful with jump ins. He CAN teleport and AA you
He lacks a reversal, best to stay on top of him. On wake up, watch for his Ex Flash kicks or for him to teleport out of the corner
He also has bad walkspeed, but good dashing

Bison
Special step where he jumps at you can be DP’d on reaction (heavy version is best since it reaches further)
You can whiff punish his slide with a target combo
Be careful how you place your fireballs because he can dash through them
Lacks a reversal, terrible walkspeed. Mostly like to attempt to dash out off the grounds on wake up
Patience is key to beating him

Ryu
Has better fireballs (obviously)
Plays within cr HK and cr MP ranges
Watch his fireball patterns carefully
Has a quick reversal
Within St hp range, step kick stuffs his fireball startup before he gets it off or just use st.hp

Karin
QCB+P commands can be interrupted on reaction (DP when she’s in the air coming towards you, B+MP or crMK can interrupt her progress of the sweep follow up). Watch out for the grab.
Watch out for Ex version of QCB+P. She uses it as an AA and a reversal; the rest of her reversals are poor options
Wants to play within the follow ranges: st MK, clst MP, clstLK, crLK, crMK, & crHK. Has long limbs
When in V-Trig mode, she gains QCF+P and its commands

Rashid (this character has good blockstrings, but he also gets away with a lot)
His dive kick on block can be punished with a DP (preferably the heavy version as a reversal because it reaches further & get at least 2 hits if not all of them for damage)
If you catch him doing dive kick on start up, you can make a hard read and use any version to uppercut (DP), MP is what I use to be on the safe side

Cammy (my secondary)
All of her hooligan commands can be reacted to with just about anything; you can score a crush counter with crHP if timed right. If you’re not comfortable using crHP, just DP.
A relatively fast and safe character, have to be really patient blocking against her or you’ll be frame trapped
Be prepared to tech grabs and force her to play from high to low; she has no overhead (if she did, she would be undeniably a top 3 character)
Can do a lot of baiting with her divekicks to force whiffed buttons

Birdie
Can be DP’d out of his chain grab command (QCB+K)
His EX Dive (QCB+K, exd) can be heavy DP’d. Can also be MP Dp’d but to get both hits you have to time it perfectly. The heavy version is easier to do and can do it the moment that you see it if you’re not confident in your timing on the medium version. Damage nonetheless
Before he uses his objects that he throws on the ground can be step kicked before he gets it out.

Zangief
Either neutral jump or jump behind him when he attempts to grab; punish accordingly
Has trouble if you play him outside of crMK with Ken’s st MK & st HK range (longest reaching normal); fireballing him isn’t a bad idea
Cyclone windmill draws you near him
Going air to air with him is an iffy thing to do. He has an air grab
Does a ton of damage; 1 mistake can be fatal
He wants you to be at least 3 steps away from him; he doesnt’ have as much range

Dhalsim
Limbs can be jabbed; st MK in particular can be DP’d and tatsu (medium is best because it’s going to get you on top of him)
Long st Mp can be jabbed or uppercutted
Once you have a hard read on his limbs, step kick will connect
If he fireballs and teleport, run to get closer to him
Watch his teleporting

Got eaten alive by aggressive Lauras. When she gets in my face, I can’t get away lol. It’s really hard to get near FANG too.

Laura is a hybrid grappler so that shit is the standard. beat her in footsies and kill her with pressure.

FANG MU is pretty free imo. just gotta be patient and once you get in he dies.