Ken Match-ups Thread: "Strong fighters such as yourself make it worth staying in shape!"

Medium Tatsu.

Okay, to add to the vs Karin matchup, if they’re the kind to use s.MK in footsies a lot instead of cr.MK, you can play footsies if you utilize your s.MP to stuff out her s.MK before it comes out, and then you can cancel it to V-trigger or buffer an EX Tatsu to tack on some damage.

I may write up a small Laura thingy later, had success fighting her in tournament this sunday. I don’t feel too confident vs Vega yet, so I can’t add much for that as of yet.

Why just “Medium Tatsu”? lol.

Guys, I got the okay from James, so I’m gonna make a new matchup thread so I can update the first couple posts with information as it’s posted in the thread, so it’s all displayed and grouped by character in the beginning without having to fish through the entire thread. I’ll probably do that later this week, maybe tomorrow. I’ll transfer the information everyone’s posted here to that thread so nothing gets lost.

Dictator seems to be the death of me. idk what to do vs those scissor kicks

V-Reversal… or, if you’ve got the read, neutral jump

Please do! Laura seems kinda wack relative to a lot of the cast, but for whatever reason a lot of these online Lauras just whoop my ass. I literally lost 5 straight matches to different Laura players from last night to today. And it’s the ones that are aggressive (I can do ok against more conservative Lauras). Literally all they do is rush me down and do constant cross-up MKs into mixups or that stupid safe shoulder dash, and I’m Pringles. I don’t even completely understand the properties of her command grabs, or how many she has, or how to tell the difference between that and a normal grab. Guess I need to just examine her in the training room. But even if I do feel like I play the match PERFECTLY and make all the right reads, once they get V-Trigger and that stupid fireball out that eats everything, it’s game. I don’t really understand what you’re supposed to do in that situation (or what her VT even does aside from the fireball buff).

Also, what about super-conservative Ryus that just sit back and parry everything/throw fireballs, and DP EVERY jump in? I have no problem with aggressive Ryus, but these I have no answer for.

And then there’s Dhalsim cringes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hell yeah, good shit

How are you guys handling cammy? All the replays I’ve seen, Ken is just playing super defensive and just looking for punishes. I feel like her normals are much better than Ken’s, and you can’t utilize his b.mp as much vs her.

-Reserved for future post-

-Reserved for future post-

Okaaay guys! New matchup thread is up:

It should be stickied soon. Of course, it’s still pretty empty, but in time, it should fill up well :slight_smile:
I’ve already taken the useful information from this thread and placed them into their respective character sections.

Birdie is a nightmare so far

Who found out how to lp dp Karin’s sweep on block from max range? Whoever you are I fucking love you

Ken is better than Karin, straight up, and that MU is even. Bison MU is probably even as well, it’s just about momentum. Vega is probably disadvantageous. Mika is fucking easy for Ken, definitely in his favor. Nash I think is in Ken’s favor as well, but it’s probably closer to even. Chun is plausibly advantageous for Chun? I’d say it probably is, but it’s at worst 6-4 and definitely workable.

I’ve played the Ken v Bison MU really extensively though, and will do a full write up of that shit soon.

I will post a set I had with one of my training partners yesterday a bit later.

Could you guys kindly break it down and show me where I went wrong please? I hate fighting Birdie

Thanks in advance

Birdie can be zoned, it’s possible even with all his ways around fireballs. There’s a move of his I can’t remember the notation, but I think his shoulder tackle? Where you have to punish with b.mp into hp.dp/lk,mk, ex tatsu because the second hit will whiff. Also gotta be able to react to his v-skill which has a start up of 50 frames, haha. I’d have to see your footage, cause so far I’ve been playing just a solid neutral/zoning game. Combined with the fact that we can actually go in on a grappler on their wake-up this time around.

You mean the front HP that has armor?

Seen some posts about Chun being difficult to deal with in neutral. It’s true that her buttons have more reach, but one mis-spaced normal and she risks getting whiff punished with b.mp into MK Tatsu, which leads into Gecko’s OKI triangle. B.MP can whiff punish every medium or heavy button she uses with consistency, and yes even her crouching normals. If you’re reacting on the first visual cue then you can also catch her forward dash, the only time buffering can be risky if she dashes in and blocks but you’re likely to catch it on recovery if you’re ready to react fast enough. Here’s a match of me vs a chun player. Hate to be a scumbag and upload my wins but I think it can be educational. I plan on uploading other matches win or lose as long as they highlight certain concepts being put to use in real situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVoqwOEr_r4