[Jun 9, 2012] East Coast Throwdown 4 - EVO 2012 TS $3K UMVC3 Bonus + GamerBee! (Morristown, NJ)

Yo step it up guys this is gonna be a crazy hype tournament so much money up for grabs.

Alright guys, there are two other Hyatt Hotels that offer FREE shuttles to the venue hotel (Hyatt Morristown). They are as follows:

http://morristown.house.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-morristown-house/index.jsp?src=agn_smg_hss_ppc_google_ss_trademark_morxm_hyatthousemorristown&k_clickid=3e1f9f90-2f0e-de09-f3e6-00002220a902&hyattprop=yes

http://whippany.house.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-whippany-house/index.jsp?src=agn_smg_hss_ppc_google_ss_trademark_ewrxp_hyatthousewhippany&k_clickid=3e1f9f90-2f0e-de09-f3e6-00002220a902&hyattprop=yes

They both have rooms available, but there is no group discount. The prices aren’t that much higher, however.

There is also the Best Western Plus, which you can take a quick cab, or walk (might take a while).

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/selectHotel.do;jsessionid=PEibuxqOFNiQh+-obhA3sg__.h423a

Finally, there is the Westin Governor Morris, which we ran ECT1 and 2 at, and can be found here:

http://deals.westin.com/Westin-Governor-Morris-Morristown-Hotel-1145/so.htm?PS=PS_aa_NNY_Google_B_Keyword_Test_Exact_032812_NAD_FM

=============================

There’s good and bad sides to running ST on one day or two. If we do it on one day, everyone can just come up one day and not have to stay overnight. If we do it two days, it allows people to focus on other games, but those people will be in the minority. Again, it’s up to you and we’ll make a definite decision this weekend. Keep the feedback coming please!

I went to ECT 2 (have been wanting to go to again, but too busy with work and school and what not), and when I went I took nj transit from penn station to morristown and from there the hotel sent a shuttle to pick me up and bring me to the venue. It seems this ECT is at a different hotel that doesn’t offer this service, and if it doesn’t that’s not a problem. Most of the times outside of these train stations in Jersey there are a few cabs waiting to pick up any passengers that need a ride. If you want to be sure you get a cab though, you can plan ahead and find out what cab companies provide service in the area and you can call ahead for them to pick you up from the station.

I really enjoyed my experience at ECT 2, but I feel would have enjoyed it even more if I had simply gotten a room for the weekend. I woke up fairly early to get there by noon. It was my first major (and my first tourney actually), so when I got there I was too shy to really do any casuals and I was pretty damn nervous. Now, when I wake up early and get very little sleep sometimes I have stomach problems. When I get pretty damn nervous my stomach also starts to act up. Put those two together and you have the perfect storm. So my stomach was hurting, I had to use the bathroom and I knew it wasn’t gonna be pretty. I didn’t want to use the bathroom next to our… ballroom (not sure what to call it), cuz there was always people in there. So I went hunting around the hotel for another bathroom, and found one on the other side of the hotel far away from where everyone else was, but I don’t think I was supposed to use that bathroom since that side of the hotel was reserved for a bar mitzvah (spelling?) or something happening later that night.

Then another problem popped up, food and drinks. I was forced to buy drinks (when I say drinks, I mean beverages) from the hotel, which were very overpriced. The nearest place for me to buy drinks and food at a reasonable price was back in town by where the train station was, but I wasn’t about to take a cab to go back there. Food was also back in town, and the food in the hotel was also very expensive (and from what I was told pretty crappy). Luckily LI joe, being the nice guy he is, helped me out in getting me the phone number of a domino’s I could order from even though he was busy as hell trying to keep things organized with the event. So I ordered this crappy ass pizza, it took forever to come and got there about five minutes before the tournament was set to start and pool placings were announced. So i had to rush and stuff down this awful crap and then run up and play. I lost immediately, didn’t know I was supposed to stick around the area for losers and just like that I was out of the tournament. I didn’t mind though, I walked around and watched the stream matches going on which were pretty hype. But I was drained as hell already. Then a new problem arose, being concerned about taking the train back to nyc.

Now if I had a room: I would not have had to wake up so early, I would have been able to bring food and drinks with me and store them in a fridge, I wouldn’t have had to be so desperate to find any place to get food from, I wouldn’t have had to worry about what time the trains come, I would have had my own personal bathroom to use, and it would have been easier to meet people and make new friends. That being said I still enjoyed myself at the event, still met some cool people, and have been wanting to go to another ECT since.

Long story short, if you can afford it, get a room. You’ll be able to relax and appreciate the event so much more, and be involved in it more (such as hanging out at people’s rooms at night when they’re playing casuals). Unfortunately it sounds like there’s no more rooms left in the hotel where the event is being held at, so you’ll have to get a room at one of the nearby hotels sweetjohnnycage is recommending.

I’ll be bringing a few modded arcade sticks with me that I’ll be more than willing to sell.
Dual modded R1 ps3 TE.
Multi-Console modded Hori fighting stick VX w/ sanwa parts
Dual modded Madcatz 360 V.S. stick.

I couldn’t agree more my dude. Although in this venue, there is a convenience store INSIDE the hotel complex. Simply walk outside the ballroom, make your first left, your first right after that, and then your first left after that. The convenience store is a few feet down on the left. Regular prices since it’s not owned by the hotel and the guy in there stayed open pretty late for us last year (I think he closed around 10pm both days), so DEFINITELY hit him up. There’s a few spots to eat just outside the hotel as well, just nothing in the fast food department.

If I could make a suggestion to everyone who’s coming to ECT or any other tournament, eat FRUIT, particularly oranges. I’ve been doing this since NEC this year and I am yet to get sick after a tournament again. By sick I mean run down, tired, cranky, and wanting to call in to work sick every day afterward. Fruit is a great pick me up and MUCH better than the hamburgers and wings we’re always scarfing down at tournaments. Bring some from your local supermarket and stick it in your fridge in your room, you won’t regret it and you’ll feel MUCH more energetic throughout the weekend.

Also, don’t drink energy drinks, just drink water. We’ll have water stations throughout the venue for you guys to utilize. Energy drinks are going to make you crash a few hours later. Since we’re scheduling all of the pools, and provided you pre-register, you’ll know exactly when you’re supposed to play. Rest up, drink up, and be ready!

Montreal people are coming

Damn fruit man John.

At fr15 he had 100 apples lol.

There’s a VF5FS side tourney being ran on sunday by Jaxel and I. Jaxel will stream it.

The other hotels are far too expensive! Does anyone have spare room for two more people?

We’re looking for about 5-6 people to help run brackets at ECT! We’ll cover your venue and tournament charges and you’ll be getting a staff shirt as well! We’d need your services from 11am-12am Saturday as well as 9am-4pm on Sunday. Pools will be 16 man every 2 hours, so it’s nothing too challenging. We prefer those with experience, but please let us know either way!

I would like to volunteer for this. I have many years of experience running tourneys. I have ran SF, Smash, and Gears of war tourneys and have references to to back up my experience in this area. I will pm you also so please keep an eye out for it. The name is GDX TVigilante

I

I would like to help out. I’m GDX Riceman and I have been running some of the premiere tournaments in the Boston area. I’m pretty well known… I also ran weekly ranbats at Brainbox Gaming Center in Boston Massachusetts. Please contact me and let me know what else you need. I will pm you as well.

I would love to help. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

OK folks, since I clearly need some sleep, registration is back online until 11:59pm PST, as it said on the website originally. I’m really sorry for blasting everyone on Facebook and Twitter this morning. I got my days mixed up. You can go here to register as before:

Again, sorry for the confusion. I’m going to bed.

I would really love to attend because I’ve never been to a tournament before… Ive barely ever played 3rd strike outside of ggpo. Unfortunately after planning all this, I have previous obligations on June 10th, so I need to know : Is the ENTIRE 3rd Strike tourney happening on the 9th or will it be POOLS on the 9th and TOP 8 on the 10th?

Please repond quicky, because pre reg ends tonight

In all honesty, we will more than likely just finish everything on the 9th. Let me talk with Mutant XP about it and I will post back again shortly!

So did you talk to Mutant XP for me?

So Ive discovered that it would be absolutely impossible for me to arrive at the venue any earlier than June 9th at 4:30PM, since I’m busy in the morning until 11pm, and I live on Long Island.

I think im unfortunately going to have to sit this one out. I could go if it was any other 2 days in june

We’ll run singles straight through on Saturday. Possibly do teams on Sunday.

What time are you getting started? I remember finding an event schedule on ECT website, but i couldnt find it.