Jin - The Updated Fighter

I have played with Jin for some time, i think there is more to learn but here is what i know so far, i hope it helps.

I’ve asked Joe Zaza about some Jin strats and some of the more useful strats have been:

The Best Jump in: Jumping lk, into mk (two light kicks)

Why?

Priority against air to air attacks, hits low, multiple hits, easiest to combo off of.

Why not dive kick?

From my experience , dive kick can be blocked high or low, other than chip isn’t good for real damage, can be pushed blocked into punishment, slow, non cancellable not even that great for crossups.

Why not heavy punch?

Not that much time to combo off of it, it’s good but not as good as you think.

THE ROUND HOUSE

a note about jumping round house:

• Jumping round house can only be used once in a super jump, afterwards you cannot block.

• It is generally great for landing from a normal jump, keeping away or chipping, it’s also alright for jumping in.

• if you jump back and rh it can keep alot of things away to have safe landing if timed right.

Crouching Roundhouse

Crouching roundhouse travels halfway across the screen and travels the same distance no matter where you peform it.

Why is it relevant?

If you do it from the farthest distance possible, there is alot less recovery time than if you did it close up.

Crouching Round House can be used as a cross up but those aren’t really safe, they involve

Opponent jumps over you with normal jump you dive under dynamite, or hurricane from other side,

i found out something…

this sucks… try to do it once a match at most, it may suprise your opponent maybe, but it isn’t worth it, the top 4 can punish the dynamite, hurricane wastes a super.

also dynamite from sweep is rollable from what i know…

Playing Jin Effectively?

HARD,

safest moves thus far unassisted:

crouching lp dash ins (lame, don’t hit low) lp is 2 frames from the frame data, 1 frame slower than mag lk

half screen sweep

dash in standing lk

dash in low lk (risky)

Abuseable Tactics:

Vulcan Glitch:

When your opponent super jumps over you down db back PP to blodia vulcan, it should hit every time.

Blodia Punch Glitch:

I don’t understand this glitch too well, if you have more information or if this is accurate post to say so

use blodia punch when assist is on screen, if it hits the assist first it should be unblockable for the opponent.

Lag Bait:

Not that abuseable but interesting tactic, down+fierce punch or sweep to bait a attack and then dynamite, try to predict the beginning of the attack then do the dynamite.

Assist Rush Ins:

Preferrably with Doom or Sent, something like lp lp, short typhoon, or fierce punch (assist block stun) to cover you.

Throw:

THROW!, alot of priority, don’t let them see it coming, mix it up, and use lk version (mashable) on ground, and read the WAVE DASH CANCEL TO THROW forum

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/thread16377.php

try to throw them with fierce punch into dooms rocks, alot of possibilities:

and finally:

NORMAL JUMP ASSIST CALL

some people don’t know, but you can call a assist anytime during a normal jump, you can make guard breaks and rush patterns happen

Good luck, a Higher Jin can be done.

BTW

if anyone can get a PRIORITY chart, please post it here

it would help Jin players ALOT to know the priority of his attacks and out prioritize attacks of top 4 ect. .

NIce info here. Crouching lp, crouching mp is definately his safest poke/chain. You are also crouching so you can activate Jin Dynamite if in trouble. I like his sweep better than I did before. That was after I discovered that it is difficult to land a clean hit with Jin, and almost impossible to combo a super unless you hit them with a typhoonXXBlodia Punch.

Jin Dynamite assist is great.

If crouching lp hits, I guess that you can go into air combo.

It’s nice to call an assist while performing crouching lp. You can try to pressure or cover up the assist later.

Actually i prefer standing lp, lp (while holding back) see if it connects if it doesn’t press foward and lp for a jab typhoon and it’s pretty safe from what i’ve seen.

I think cable can still punish with a ahvb but cable can punish alot of other things too so it’s not big.

however, do not start holding back until a milisecond after you pressed the first lp if possible, because if you hold back in the beginning jin will walk backwards and you may not connect with the middle punch losing out on some chipping damage, since all of jin’s flaming attacks chip.

Who are the best partners for Jin, and what’s the best way to play as him on point?

As far as teams I’ve used mostly xx/Capcom aa/Jin aa, but I would prefer a better Jin team if anyone knows it, since both Capcom and Jin are mostly assist characters, though it’s easier to play Capcom on point than it is for Jin. What team does Zaza play Jin on?

On point I use his jumpins from a distance and standing lp and crouching lp chains on the ground, and punish any mistakes with his throws, or just do setups for his throws.

Jin’s good but he’s mostly my joke/mess around character since I’m not too good with him. I’ve actually haven’t played him in the arcades for awhile now, but I still like him. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out:cool:

Oh and how exactly do you get vulcan to beat out projectiles being thrown at you?Especially from that little bitch morrigan?:confused:

i have a theory,

if you can dominate the ground and force your opponent to super jump.

you can typhoon under them and do the blodia glitch.

also you can cross up with jin

if your opponent is ducking

have doom - b

dash in , lp, (call dooms rocks) s. hk it should jump over them if close enough (dooms should crossthem up)

then do lp typhoon or dynamite to chip if they block it. if they don’t block go for a throw.

also omega red’s throw has odd properties

do standing lk, (call omega red - a) mk omega should hit then press hp to get on the other side of omega red and cancel into vulcan omega should rush fowards and throw, and it will have very odd properties.

even in all block it will connect if it doesn’t combo, (even though it usually does combo)

whenever you connect a tag in, do a crouching heavy kick (burning slide), it will always juggle ( a continous hit box so when they are abuot to hit the ground it will always juggle) and you can combo it into a blodia punch for easy damage.

also jin has a safe tag in combo for a few characters (like omega red)

if they have high kick tag in, it works anywhere.

just heavy punch cancel into tag in (it works for alot more ppl in the corner)

but you can do it anywhere with OR.

i think Jin/Omega Red /Doctor Doom

is a really good team

that’s what i’ve found so far

i’m still trying to get better.

good luck.

• Jin

Thanks for the reply, but I noticed that you have Jin first on your team. Is that smart, cause I’ve tried that before, and his lagginess and not very good air combos didn’t work out too well. Other good Jin players that I’ve seen have put him on second or third. And if he is played first, what should you do at the beginning of the round? Do you either get close and try to cross up, or sit back and block to avoid being launched?

I know it shouldn’t matter too much against the cpu, cause the cpu is a piece of shit, but against a human opponent, that’s a little risky. Thanks again.

I play Jin first because of back in the day (the guile was the best character days) i was determined to learn jin, so i started putting him in first.

Also i think Jin can survive first, and as i said, i have a theory that with jin, if you can dominate the ground and force a super jump, with the mobility of the typhoon you can punish them alot with vulcans, but that’s just a theory.

With Jin as a beginning move it would depend who i’m up against,

against cable i would try to get a poke away from cable and start the match with a standing or low lk.

against someone like mags you need to read their actions and basically avoid a early hit, in one game i recall you could charge moves beforehand and use them immediately after the FIGHT! came on, if that is the same in capcom, i would use the switch trick ( change the order of your team, then hold down a direction and a button and it will come out instantly)

and i would hold down the assist for doom and when the match started i’d do a saotome dynamite backed up with doom.

i have been slacking lately so i can’t try it out.

if you can’t charge a move before hand and do it then i’d recommend blocking mags (reading his actions to see if he’ll start with a tri jump) then pushblock to get some space and try to out prioritize him and gain distance every chance i get (along with dooms rocks).

if they tri jump you, you can try dynamite every once in a while, it gets you distance, and as long as you don’t abuse it they can’t do anything about it except not tri jump you.

in other words, they’ll have to get you in block stun before they can try crossing you up.

Also, if you ever do a regular air combo as in magic series into heavy punch (causes flying screen, and that’s important for ground based characters (note by Zaza) you can press heavy kick (like most characters can in their air comboes) but jin’s has odd properties , they allow him to fall faster than normal, and if you press the joy stick fowards you can land on the opposite side of your opponent and try to cross them up. then mix it up with the normal landing to keep some pressure on your opponent.

you can also try (i don’t think it will work) but using the heavy kick to attempt to avoid the sentinal unblockable.

you can also do the dive kick to slow your decention to mess up the timing.

both aren’t really recommended (i’d go for the heavy kick because it leaves a smaller window of punishment)

Jin is a good character, abuse his throws mainly and the blodia vulcan glitch,a nd if anyone ever tells me the EXACT specifics on the blodia punch glitch i’d abuse the crap out of that too.

I also found out that wave dashing with Jin is a good thing to do instead of constantly jumping in. If only if Jin was faster, but anyways,
Ex.: wavedash, cr lp, st mp, sj, magic series, hp finisher, and land to the other side. And sometimes wavedashing, then crouching hk works a little too.

I was just messing around with this against the cpu. It seems everytime I try out something new on how to play Jin, the cpu eventually picks up that strat and counters. Which was why I sort of cut back on playing him serious and as my main fighter.
I do like the Jin/Doom duo though. I was using an all aa team of Jin/Sonson/Doom the other night.:lol:

i found out that jin’s standing lp has alot of priority and is very fast, i did my own tests (which may be wrong) but i found that they beat out storm in the start of a match and beat out alot of things too. thanks to jin’s height his lp hits many crouching opponents.

I am still trying to find a better way to use Jin but for now i just realize how he is dependent on positions, (he has to be at certain spots to get the most out of his moves like his hp which should be used only at certain distances) i travel around the screen mainly with fierce into lp typhoons and i also make use of his h. k.

MANY of his moves have ALOT of priority , it’s just start up time that makes it look liek they aren’t that useful.

wave dashing is very important to get in and use standing lps , and also the slide and the standing hp at the correct distances (somewhere around halfscreen but not too far!) are all important.

doom is too bulky for me i’m going to try out ice man and see how it goes.

(i know what your thinking, but i’m learning Jin i already know how to use doom)

i’m still finding out more.

• Jin

Jin’s typhoon has alot of priority, once it’s out, but it doesn’t look like it cuz of start up, and in start up he can be hit out of it (and even then it trades hits)

Jin’s typhoon has the same priority as a tag in which has ALOT of priority.

do not under estimate his saotome dynamite as a anti tri jump weapon.

alright, i was messing with jin the other day… and i sucked real bad :bluu: out of curiosity, how do u guys play him? as in, do u rush or keepaway or wat? i would assume he’s more rush so thats wat i tried to do…
im COMPLETELY new at using him so i prob just need more practice… any advice for some1 like me trying to get into him?
as of right now i was messing around with a team of megaman(proj.)/jin(aa)/c. comm.(aa)- its my crazy capcom team… its kinda fun and good at keeping guys out while mm tries to stay alive, and theres a hyper megaman-> blodia vulcan looks too cool :smiley:
thanx for any help in advance, and keep the low-tier spirit alive!

you rush down, i found that standing light punch beats out any openining attack storm throws and that isn’t that small a feat.

use his moves to get around, use standing hard punch at the right distance and have a jab typhoon charged so you get extra chip and make it unpunishable (to most), in case you don’t know it’s (charge for 2-3 seconds back (or down back) then foward and lp for the jab version, which is the one you want.

use his slide from max distance to minimize punishability,

try to dash in and lp, mp air combo, and almost ALWAYS do the blodia vulcan when the opponent is super jumping over you, it will almost always hit.

when fighting people who jump in, or tri jump you, try to use the saotome dynamite, try to charge it up, seriosly, just don’t start charging it up too up close against someone like say magneto.

also practice throwing.

in the ground use the kick throw and mash.

those are the basics.

and when they normal jump over see if you can dash under (while charging this move) and then jab typhoon, it may cross them up and if it doesn’t block damage.

good luck,

• Jin

P.S: Jin is a rush down character, but of a different sort, he needs to be the correct distances to use his moves effeciently and keep the opponent at the mercy of his attacks, just be wary of anti air assists and know where to use his moves and you should be fine.

thanx a lot, i really appreciate the advice… ill give it a shot next time i play… which is probably not til sat…:frowning:

higher-jin thanks for this very useful thread, im trying to pick up jin and is planning on putting him on my felicia/rogue team. but whats your advise against airborned opponents that also has really good mobility? ie: run away storm or airborned sentinel.

dash under them and do the vulcan? also is there a way to connect his “big rocket punch” super, from a combo?

thanks in advance.

don’t use jin that much but imo psylocke is one his best assists. u can rush and defend well with her anti-air assist. my two personal favorite combos are lp+assist, mp, otg crouching rh, qcf pp(punch super). it’s easy, can’t roll out of, and decent damage.the other combo is pretty much the same only after the otg c.rh, i do his fp typhoon move cancelled into his tornado super. the timing is a bit tricky but can be done anywhere on the screen.:slight_smile:

Higher-Jin, what is wave dashingwith Jin? the link doesn’t seem to be working

I’ve been using Jin since MVC1. I’m still tryin to upgrade my jin to the point where it’s not even funny no more. I’m just tryin to find out as many combos and who’s the best to have as his pards.

I’ve always used Jin on my scrub team instead of Commando because I’ve felt he’s just all around a better character. He can do massive damage, outprioritizes most attacks, and can mix people up quite a bit with his charge attacks.

I find his assist to be the best in the game, since it can punish every rushdown character if used strategically, and covers half of the screen, even above your first character if pinned down or getting crossed over (unlike Commando’s).

His sweep into dynamite is rollable, so I try not to use that by itself very often.
lp, mp XX cyclone is a given, deals massive damage.
As for some specifics on the Vulcan, guard pushing will always result in guard break and the glitch only works if you’re in the startup animation as they pass over you. I may be mistaken, but this is what I’ve seen as far as trying it out. Unfortunately the Vulcan can’t be comboed afterwards like the other two.
I’ve heard that typhoon XX cyclone works, but I’ve never been able to do it. It supposedly does more damage than launch XX cyclone, so that’d be more effective.
Jin’s cyclone can also be comboed out of with an OTG dynamite.

A team I’m thinking would be excellent with Jin would be Sent (t), Jin (b), and Blackheart (anti-air). If things are like they seem in my head, you could make some awesome hyper combos with this, such as Sent drones (close to the opponent) -> Blodia Punch -> Heart of Darkness. With Jin on point, you can Vulcan glitch -> Armageddon or Judgement Day, or -> into Sent’s drones. Mayhaps you can also Sent HK launch + Jin anti air and continue like a normal launch, but that may be a bit too tough. Blackheart’s anti-air can keep jin as a lockdown character, since he functions a lot better with the opponent cornered (sweep -> saotome dynamite -> saotome cyclone, which does over half damage and can be repeated two or more times). If the opponent blocks low, jump in with a FP (I’m pretty sure it hits high) lp, mp launch, cyclone. You can combo BH’s anti-air into a cyclone, too, which allows you to set up quite a few near-kill combos. BH’s anti-air can be comboed into Vulcan if you do it quick enough and so long as they’re not over half the screen up. Rushing in from Sent’s drones would be a plus, too, or jump FP before and after the drones to chip and keep them locked down, land and sweep, to mix things up, while BH assist. If both connect, dynamite XX cyclone. If the opponent is quick and has time to hit you before you sweep after the FP, you can replace the j FP with a j down+HK to drill and call Sent’s assist again to keep you in the clear. There are some basic traps with Sent’s drones, too, assuming that the enemy is slower. Jump in with a down+HK to drill, Sent assist right before you land, sweep HK and immediately dynamite after, repeat. The drill is moderately difficult to guardpush, since it hits a few times. Only time for them to counter attack would be if they could jump over the drones with their very small margin of time, or if they were fast enough to hit you as you recovered from the j d+HK (most of the faster characters). If the opponent’s not falling for mixups, throws never fail. If BH’s anti air isn’t quite enough to keep a rushdown away, try throwing in some sFPes of c FPes to keep them off you.

Another thing I’m considering is using that team with Jin as his typhoon assist. It doesn’t have low startup or lag, but it’s very comboable with Sentinel on point, and I believe DHCs into cyclone, which might be comboable from Sent’s PP hyper, and maybe, just maybe into Heart of Darkness.

Playing Blackheart, on the other hand, with either of these assists might pose quite a difficulty.

Tell me if you come up with any more ideas.

random jin stuff i found while messing around.

In corner: s.lk, s.fp

-after the s.fp, you can link a s.lp, c.lp, or j.lp. its easier to link to doom size characers. timing is also pretty strict.
-the s.lp is the easiest to link, but it has no potential follow ups.
-the c.lp is pretty strict, but you can combo the s.lk after it, which sets up some decent combos with assist.

s.lk, s.fp, link c.lp, s.lk + mag proj, assist hits, dash in oc.fp > typhoon for example

-the j.lp is the strictest of the 3, but it sets up some nice throw options.

s.lk, s.fp, link j.lp, land, FK throw (opponent out of corner).
-throw opponent out of corner because A) the throw is unrollable and B) the corner keeps jin from hopping off to far. You are put at the perfect distance to set up another throw [into the corner].

-the s.fp also causes the opponent to bounce, so a nice throw set up is: s.lk, s.fp, dash xx j. throw after the bounce. Throw into assist.

-s.lk, s.fp + magneto proj xx blodia punch
-[corner] s.lk, s.fp + mags proj, assist hits, s.fp (juggle opponent) xx blodia punch
-[corner] s.lk, s.fp + mags proj, assist hits, s.fp (juggles), lp hurricane xx typhoon

[opponent blocking] j.lk + sent ground, D+fk, land, repeat.
in training mode it looks pretty decent. it does nice chip and locks down. the opponent can pushblock Jin, but the drones will still hit. Im sure they can sj. cancel at some point. If you see the sj, will the vulcan glitch work??? (if you super fast enough, assuming you’re on the ground)

Oh as for the Jinfinite:

vs. colossus-launch, sj.lp, lk, lp, pause, lk, lp, fk [1 hit], land, sj.lp…
-I just cant get the sj.lp to combo in. I’ve done it once, but yeah…

tag out infinite set up with mags: (character specific)…
-[corner] s.lk, [s.fp xx mags, c.lk (juggle), c.fk xx tag in Jin] -repeat brackets.

I know the tag infinite is old stuff, but I didnt know that it didnt cause the FS. I guess tag in hits dont count as air hit. I dont think it resets because i’ve done tag out combos before and the FS was activated. with the jin tag in-finite, after 30 + hits (for example), you can tag in mags, c.fp, sj.fk xx ad df lk, lk, land, ROM…

Anyway, this is just stuff I found while messing around. I have no idea how reliable all this is in a real match.

I was originally trying to find a third character for Sim and Sent when i picked up jin.

Rececntly i tried jin with Ruby heart AA. Ruby Heart not only covers jin perfectly, it gives him really fast cross-ups with jumping down+ hk and gives jin cross-ups from underneath. Too much priority.

right now im trying to find the right 3rd character for a team centered around Jin/Ruby rushdown.

First off I suck at spelling and i get lazy. So if you see enemy a lot don’t get mad . I love Jin. His super mode when he’s your last person really has come in hand in the past against Sen. Anyways i wont bore you with the details.

I manly use him in my Team: Hulk, Jin, Guile.

Heres his semi-infinite. Theres a long break in the gap and it can become an infinite if you time it right. You can land land beside the enemy or behind him. By slightly tapping the joy stick to the left or right, depending on the angle. You have to practice or time it right so i suggest practicing it awhile and get use to it.

Heres it goes . There are two ways to do it. I suggest doing it the first one and tweak it around until you feel comfortable doing the second one.

**Jin Semi-Infinite no assist needed! **
1. light punch, light punch.[ This will launch your enemy up in the air. ] Follow by a dash up. **Light punch. **[ If your good enough you can hit another light punch for more damage. ] then heavy punch. [ I haven played jin in a couple of days. You have to either hold down and heavy punch. Your just looking for him to launch the enemy back down again. ] When your landing. You can either land in front of the enemy or behind it. To confuse him I suggest switching off once in awhile. Light punch. again to stun. And repeat. **Note: This is the arcade version. And Also Be careful. If you land a little farther you can mess up the semi-infinite. If I mess up I like to do the his drill into his explosion.

2. light punch, light punch.[ This will launch your enemy up in the air. ] Follow by a dash up. **Light punch. **[ If your good enough you can hit another light punch for more damage. ] then light kick, light heavy punch. [ I haven played jin in a couple of days. You have to either hold down and heavy punch. Your just looking for him to launch the enemy back down again. ] When your landing. You can either land in front of the enemy or behind it. To confuse him I suggest switching off once in awhile. light kick, light punch. again to stun. And repeat. **Note: This is the arcade version. And Also Be careful. If you land a little farther you can mess up the semi-infinite. If I mess up I like to do the his drill into his explosion.

**Advance Super Combo! **
Ok. You played jin around. This is what i have been toying around. When i’m done fixing up the bugs.

Heres it goes . There are two ways to do it. I suggest doing it the first one and tweak it around until you feel comfortable doing the second one.

1. light punch, light punch.[ This will launch your enemy up in the air. ] Follow by a dash up. **Light punch. **[ If your good enough you can hit another light punch for more damage. ] then heavy punch. [ I haven played jin in a couple of days. You have to either hold down and heavy punch. Your just looking for him to launch the enemy back down again. ] When your landing. You can either land in front of the enemy or behind it. To confuse him I suggest switching off once in awhile. Light punch. again to stun. And repeat untill you get bored and now this where the fun begins. When you land beside him and your fully at the ground. Light punch and then down light punch this should do jin his down punch thing and then cancel into Blodia Punch

**Note: This is the arcade version. And Also Be careful. If you land a little farther you can mess up the semi-infinite. If I mess up I like to do the his drill into his explosion.

2. light punch, light punch.[ This will launch your enemy up in the air. ] Follow by a dash up. **Light punch. **[ If your good enough you can hit another light punch for more damage. ] then light kick, light heavy punch. [ I haven played jin in a couple of days. You have to either hold down and heavy punch. Your just looking for him to launch the enemy back down again. ] When your landing. You can either land in front of the enemy or behind it. To confuse him I suggest switching off once in awhile. light kick, light punch. again to stun. And repeat untill you get bored and now this where the fun begins. When you land beside him and your fully at the ground. Light punch and then down light punch this should do jin his down punch thing and then cancel into Blodia Punch
**Note: This is the arcade version. And Also Be careful. If you land a little farther you can mess up the semi-infinite. If I mess up I like to do the his drill into his explosion.
Once again Im sorry. Im new to this forum. And not to good with the lingo around here. if someone wants they could copy and put it down much more easily.