Japanese Hakan Strategies

I took this from the main SSF4 strategy guide that a lot of Japanese players seem to be using, and I translated them so people can test them out. I haven’t tested everything out, and because the site is a wiki, everyone who contributed had a different way of noting everything… making it hard to know if I did an accurate job of translating it. Anyway, here is the main stuff, which deals with 360K setups (basic and character specific setups), blocked slide setups and other minor things. There are other articles on their site that discuss stuff that we are also discussing, but their information seems to be a lot more organized than what is in this forum, so I’ll be using this thread to translate them, and organize things as neatly as possible.

START TRANSLATION!
Because Hakan lacks any real cross-up attack, he has to rely on a 3 way guessing game consisting of his jumps, low attacks and command throws to attack his opponents on their wake-up. If he is not oiled up, he doesn’t have a lot of wake-up options, so even if you have to give up a good opportunity to attack the opponent on wake-up, do so in favor of getting your oil.

Jumping: Hakan’s jump is really low to the ground, so even if you don’t have too much frame advantage off a jumping attack, it’s easy to use it repeatedly.

Crouching Low Kick: A standard attack, which can also be chained easily when oiled. Follow it up with Oil Rocket

Oil Rocket: Command grab, which has a longer reach than your opponent’s low, fast attacks, so it’s pretty useful.

Oil Combination Hold: Useful if your opponent has a tendency to do a backdash or a wakeup uppercut on wakeup, because it’ll beat both.

Oil Dive setups on wake-up: On wake-up, even if your opponent tries to crouch, there is one or two frames where they are considered standing, so Hakan’s Oil Dive will hit if you time it properly. No Oil Dive setups work on Honda, Blanka, Dhalsim and Cammy though.

Basic Oil Dive setups
These are basic Oil Dive setups that work on a variety of characters. Some characters require specific setups though. The following setups work on Ryu, Ken, Guile, Claw, Sagat, Abel, Rufus, Seth, Rose, Gen, Dan, Guy, T.Hawk, Dudley, and Makoto. (Reno’s note: Assume any normal listed here is a whiffed move, the Japanese wiki sometimes says whiffed, sometimes doesn’t, but that’s the assumption I made considering the context)

Oil Press
-> Standing HP -> HK Oil Dive
Oiled f+HK
-> f+MK -> HK Oil Dive
-> Back dash -> HK Oil Dive
Crouching HK
-> f+LK -> HK Oil Dive
-> Forward dash -> HK Oil Dive
HP Oil Rocket
-> f+HK -> LK Oil Dive
-> f+MK -> HK Oil Dive
Air Throw
-> LK Oil Shower -> LK Oil dive
-> f+MK -> Whiff MK -> HK Oil Dive
-> f+MK -> Dash -> HK Oil Dive
Oil Dive
-> Standing MP -> Forward Empty Jump -> LK Oil Dive
-> Standing LP -> Forward Empty Jump -> HK Oil Dive

Character specific Oil Dive setups
vs. Chun-li
HP Oil Rocket
-> Crouching LK -> HK Oil Dive
Air Throw
-> f+MK -> f+MK -> HK Oil Dive

vs. Zangief
Oiled f+HK
HP Oil Rocket

vs. Boxer
Oiled d+HK
-> Standing LK -> HK Oil Dive

vs. Dictator
HP Oil Rocket

vs. Fuerte
Oiled f+HK
Crouching HK
-> Forward dash -> HK Oil Dive (difficult to time when oiled)
-> f+LK -> MK Oil Dive (use this when oiled instead of the above)

vs. C.Viper
HK Oil Rocket
-> f+MP -> LK Oil dive

vs. Akuma
Crouching HK
-> f+LP -> HK Oil Dive
HP Oil Rocket

vs. Gouken
HP Oil Rocket
-> f+MP -> LK Oil Dive

vs. Fei-long
Oil Dive
-> f+MP -> LK Oil Dive

vs. Sakura
HP Oil Rocket
Oiled f+HK

vs. Dee Jay
Oiled f+HK

vs. Cody
Crouching HK
-> LK -> HK Oil Dive
HP Oil Rocket
-> Forward dash -> HK Oil Dive

vs. Ibuki
Oiled f+HK
-> Back dash -> MK Oil Dive
Crouching HK
-> f+LK -> MK Oil Dive

vs. Adon
Oil Press
-> f+MP -> HK Oil Dive
Oiled f+HK
-> MP -> HK Oil Dive
HP Oil Rocket
-> Crouching MK -> HK Oil Dive
-> f+MP -> MK Oil Dive
Crouching HK
-> LP -> MK Oil Dive

vs. Hakan
Oil Press
-> Empty Vertical Jump -> HK Oil Dive
HP Oil Rocket
-> f+MP -> HK Oil Dive

vs. Juri
HP Oil Rocket
-> f+MP -> LK Oil Dive

Oil Slide setups
Usually when the Oil Slide is blocked, Hakan is at a serious disadvantage, but if the opponent blocks the last part of the slide, Hakan is actually at an advantage, so choosing which slide to use is very important.

Oil slide during Wake-up (if it isn’t written specifically, using any strength Slide is okay)
These setups work against the following characters: Ryu, Ken, Guile, Claw, Sagat, Abel, Rufus, Seth, Rose, Gen, Dan, Guy, T.Hawk, Dudley, Makoto

Legend:
○ Slight advantage, use Hakan’s Oil Coaster for best results
△ 50/50, using Hakan’s regular Oil Rocket may lead into it getting stuffed
▲ Slight disadvantage, regular Oil Rocket will stuffed, but EX is okay
× Oil slide will barely make it in time. After the slide, you’ll have to decide whether or not to use Oil Coaster or other choices.

Oil Press
-> Forward dash -> Slide ○

Oiled f+HK
-> Standing LP -> Slide ▲

Crouching HK
-> Standing LP -> Slide ▲

HP Oil Rocket
-> Standing MP -> Slide ▲
-> Crouching LK -> Slide ×

Air Throw
-> Crouching HP -> Slide ×

Oil Dive
-> Standing MP -> Standing MK -> f+MK -> Slide △

Forward Throw
-> f+MP -> Slide ○
-> Standing HP -> Slide ×

Back Throw
-> HP Slide ▲

(Thanks to Polybius for the help re-editing this!)

Situations where blocked Oil Slide gives you similar situations:

• When both players are close to the edge of the screen: Use HP Slide
  • When both players are close to the edge of the screen: Forward Dash -> MP Slide
  • At the start of the round: LP Slide

very cool shit thanks for translating and posting.

Hm… The oil slide stuff seems really nice.

I’m loving Hakan more and more.

I think it’s the other way around… meaty slide definitely does not work against shotos for example. Hrm… on second though, maybe they meant “work” as in “it will work if they don’t revesal”?

One thing to remember about some of these setups where you hit with just the tip of blocked slide for the most frame advantage, is that they can simply stand up and make you whiff. I think backthrow -> HP slide is like this?

They aren’t specifically mentioning whether or not the opponent can counter your setup, but if it actually works against them or not due to the length of their get-up animation… that’s why they list Ryu and Ken but not Akuma, for example.

I’m not sure if I like any of those oil dive set-ups excluding the LK Oil > Rocket/Dive. Maybe the character specific stuff is all based on yomi game? If so, then it sounds pretty risky. If Dive didn’t have massive recovery, along with not going over crouching characters, then it’d have more versatility. It’s just not a tool that can be used on reaction from what I’ve experienced.

No, the character-specific stuff is done so that you can catch those characters on the standing frame while they’re getting up. Those characters have shorter/longer animations so they require specific setups. This explanation is in the OP, where it says even if they crouch they can’t escape the setup. Obviously it’s not a good idea to go to this every time but it presents you different things to do on an opponent’s wake up to keep them guessing. Anyway, has anyone tried testing some of the character-specific ones yet?

Oh my bad. so it’s probably likely that the attacks shown following a knockdown are meant to be whiffed to get the timing right? Interesting. I suppose that would be good to use, knowing how many different knockdowns there are. The timing might vary by a lot.

Thank you Reno, this information is so useful, cant wait for the rest of it

I tried the Chun specific ones. They work nicely.

I also tried the ones with Dive, jump over, dive but it doesn’t seem to work as the opponent gets up in rather similar way to not being jumped over (can crouch).

I don’t think you’re supposed to jump over for those, just whiff a standing MP or LP and then empty jump forward right in front of the opponent, and do the Oil Dive.

i like this thread

If it’s not too much trouble, could you clarify a few points?

• When you talk about Oil Press, you are referring to the Oil Slide + followup, correct?
  • In the Oil Slide on wakeup section, you have setups listed for after Normal Throw, Forward Throw, and Backward Throw. Is one of those supposed to maybe be air throw? Also, as a side note, I notice they don’t mention doing HP Slide after 360+LP, which I believe would be a circle (slight advantage) on your legend.

Other than that, this is some fantastic info, and I look forward to seeing what other tech they might be exploiting.

Nice I love it. I just wish Akuma was on that list as he’s a total pain to fight against. Bring on more info please as we need it.

Also ShadowNinja64 has a point about the normal throw,forward throw thing. What is meant by “normal throw” typo I’m thinking?

Haven’t been on in a bit as my PS3 died (overheated YLOD) but I plan to start my Hakaness up sometime this week with a new system.

Yes, all of them require the followup press

Yup, I fixed that, should be good now!

Yes, all of them require the followup press

Yup, I fixed that, should be good now!

I’m kind of confused by the way the words were set up on some of these.

This Balrog one will be my example:

“vs. Boxer
Oiled d+HK
-> Standing LK -> HK Oil Dive”

Why is "Oiled C.hk above the other things? Do they all stem from it?

And after a C.hk, do I wiff the s.lk then do a hk Oil Dive?

Yes it’s a DDT setup after a successful low sweep. and yes you whiff the st. lk

WOW! Thank you very much for posting this. I can now pinpoint specifically what mistakes I’ve been making with my DDT setups. I also was not aware of how much of a frame advantage Hakan actually had after a meaty slide. So many possibilities here. I’m also messing around with some reset options after a succefully landed crumple focus.

Option 1:

Unoiled I’ve had some success with a late low short (which pops them up in the air) followed by a low fierce. May have too many recovery frames to make it that viable but I’ll continue testing it before ruling this out entirely.

Edit: Seems to be character specific. Either harder to time or doesn’t work at all on Honda, Hakan, Blanka, Gief, Rufus, Fuerte, Rog and Hawk.

Option 2:

Oiled up, a well timed focus (level 1 or 2 not entirely sure) followed by a DNC’d low fierce. So far incosistent results due to the strict timing involved so it may not be that useful.

Otherwise I’m so looking forward to someone eventually putting these techniques to good use and doing some serious damage in tournament play.

oooh cool thread! Is Hakan a quantistic charachter? Yes! Really strange! But it is really stimulating…now it is time to play and kill!