"It's show time!" Dee Jay Beginner Thread

Hey guys! here is my rundown of the Southern Comet, Dee Jay.

NORMALS

lp/lk - 30dmg (lp is 20dmg when crouching)

Dee Jay’s standard combo startesr. His jabs are It’s 3 frames and 4 frames when crouching and his shorts are 5 frames, along with decent priority. The best part about his lp’s/lk’s are that they give great frame advantage (between 4 - 6 frames), meaning that he can easily combo into shorts/jabs and strongs/forwards (lp/lk and mp/mk). Comboing into his mk is a great way to set up the vortex if you didn’t have a charge.

his far lk as a great poke.

Aerial down + lk - 50dmg

A new addition to his arsenal. IMo it’s the ssf4 version of his jumping jab (aka. the god hand), which had great priority and could potentially. This move is no different.

close mp - 70dmg

A reincarnation of his classic ST AA. It’s not longer as reliable due to the fact you have to be close to the opponent for it to come out. It’s decent to combo into but HP serves the same purpose for AA and comboing into but better. IMO there basically for old times sake.

far mp - 90dmg

A decent standing poke. Can’t be cancelled out of.

crouching mp - 60dmg

While it is the weakest version, it is by the best. You can cancel it into the special move of your choice/super, combos from jabs/shorts and is a pretty good poke also.

close mk - 70dmg

A nice, safe poke that combos into his mk sweep, cr.lp and cr.mp for “big” damage. Definitely a poke to keep an eye on.

far mk - 80dmg

Good priority and does 2 hits if combo’d from an lk for 140dmg. One of the go to pokes.

cr. mk - 70dmg

The God sent move. Not only is it a good poke, but knocks down and starts the vortex. can be combo’d into from st.lp, st.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk, st.mk and i’m sure there’s more. Definitely should be part of your arsenal.

far HP - 100dmg

Dee Jay’s secret weapon. If you get a CH on the first frame, it will cause your opponent to be launched, which gives you the opportunity to reset them, or potentially slide to U2. (the trick to that is to assume that you will get the hit once you throw out the HP. Once you throw it out, immediately hold Down back, which will give you the charge you need after the slide).

close HP - 120dmg, 2 hits

A decent move that can be cancelled into special moves. Same applies to the cr.HP, which does 90dmg.

close HK - 130dmg

Aside from decent damage, nothing special. Can’t be cancelled, but is a half assed AA.

cr.HK, aka, the slide - 100dmg

Nerfed like crazy from the ST version, but still useful when used properly. DO NOT RANDOMLY THROW IT OUT POINT BLANK, YOU WILL GET ULTRA’D. It is pretty safe from max range though. If your opponent jumps and you can time the slide for them to land on your feet, you will cause a juggle state and you can potentially U2 them.

jump in MK/HK/lp - 90/130/40 dmg

His notable jump ins. His jump in MK is probably the best crossover in the game and ambiguous as a mofo. Soooooo good for pressure and getting free jump ins. His HK has great reach and a long lasting/deep hitting hitbox, just like his lp.

SPECIAL MOVES

Max out - 50dmg

Dee jay’s projectile. The slow version is great for walking after and pressuring the opponent while the fast one is good for keep up in fireball wars. Watch out for eagle eye ultras though. The EX version shoots 2 seperate ones, 100dmg in total. You can combo into the EX max out in the corner to cr.lp to a special move (preferably EX MGU to U2). Great move overall.

Maching gun Upper - 80 - 168dmg

A cool move more than anything, it can easily be combo’d into and is the go to move if you are looking to do straight damage. EX MGU (114 - 162dmg) is godlike with it’s great damage output and you can potentially combo the rest of your EX special moves off of it, with the exception of HK up kicks in the corner. As most of us know already, U2 is also a combo ender.

Up kicks - 100 - 110dmg

An overall solid AA move. His lk version has the most priority and the best combo ender potential. The mk version can be combo’d twice off of a cr.mp. The EX version (180dmg) is IMO his best special move. 4 frame start up, invincibility on start up and makes your opponent think twice (possibly 3 times) on jumping in.

Dread kicks - 80 - 120dmg

Aside from the lk version, a let down from ST. The mk and hk versions don’t knockdown, and the hk version actually leaves you at a slight disadvantage. Best saved for cancelling into super. The EX version (140dmg) is a nice improvement. Fireball invulnerable and knocks down while pushing the opponent near the corner for potential big damage.

Ultra 2 - Climax beat - 501dmg

The go to Ultra. Great damage, combo potential and a fantastic AA to make up for his mk and hk up kicks. Strongly recommended.

Ultra 1 - Sobat festival - 473dmg

Haven’t found much use for it yet. Pretty good damage and a potential fireball punisher, but that’s about it.

Super - Sobat Carnival - 350dmg

The last move to mention. A solid super: can be combo’d into, decent damage and depending on the kick you use, he move forward further and the lighter the kick, the faster the start up. There are certain moves that the lk version can punish that the HK can not. (7 frames, 11 frames and 13 frames.)

Overall, dee jay is a different animal than his ST version. Playing him the exact same will probably not work, but he definitely can hold his own against most if not all the cast. Put the time into him and he will repay you nicely :wink:

ANY QUESTIONS, FEEL FREE TO ASK!!! I will try and update this every 3 days or so.

HOW TO PLAY DEE JAY

Through my years of experience with this underrated beast, I find that there needs to be a good balance between pressuring and zoning/space control. Dee jay’s slow fireball is a great example because it forces your opponent to back into a corner, jump up, jump towards you or focus it, which will also force them into the corner. No matter what option your opponent chooses, they will quickly be in trouble. if you can SAFETLY get inside their space start mixing up with crossovers, block strings and fireball traps. Go for knockdowns with his slide, cr.mk, MGU and lk sobat kick, which all allow you to potentially cross them up or ambiguously cross them up.

Dee Jay has a strong AA, always make an effort to have a down charge just in case, but that does NOT mean to turtle shamelessly. If your opponent like to jump, especially jump in, bait the jump by getting into their comfort zone and/or throw a fireball and wait for them to screw up haha

A general tip that works with dee jay is to make sure that you keep the pressure on when you can, and know when to back off if you have a huge lead and their is a chance your opponent will come back and/or your approaches aren’t working. Alwas be aware of what does and doesn’t work, dee jay is versatile enough to win in many different ways. HOPE THIS HELPS! :slight_smile:

i really hope someone figures out a way to combo, or get either ultra 1 or 2. as far as my understading ultra 1 can go through projectiles, and you can combo in to ultra 2 in the corner if you do his machine upper punch.

I’m most definitely looking forward to deejay.

I’m hoping his combos from ST work in this

J.mk, c.lp, c.lk xx Up kick
J.mk, c.lp, c.lp xx machine gun upper

and more.

I remember seeing U2, or whatever the punch one is, get combo’d off of a sweep.

Here’s to hoping DeeJay can combo close HP into sweep (Like SSF2) into U2. I bet MGU can combo into one of the ultras.

Actually. its only AA slide, Metro. Unless its a well timed jump in, the slide will just knockdown and the Ultra will whiff.

However FADC jacknife has not been overuled, just not tested by anyone.

You can also do U2 off EX MGU, but its corner dependant. So setting up that extra EX Rolling Soabt to knock them the hell away from you and into the coner is key.

Dee Jay seems to have a dead space in regards to anti-air options (much like chun lie) without ex meter. Sliding in this space can be hit or miss as you will slide away or slide and get hit while in recovery.

and probably too risky against shoto/grappler types.

Can anybody tell me if upkicks can be used to end a combo? And if so, is there any point to using it over rolling sobat? what about EX max out? Is there a substantial point to using EX max out in a combo?

Hey guys, I must retract my previous statement. He has no dead zone… I was just not using st. fierce and cr. fierce correctly. It is a timing issue. I’m so used to balrog’s easy cr. fierce.

Just played Super. Dee Jay is really, really fun

Notes about Dee Jay

I did not have time to find his best links, but here are some easy ones

cr. jabx2 ~ cr. strong(cancelable into any special)

cr. jab ~ st. fierce (can cancel first hit of close standing fierce into any special)

cr. jabx2 ~ cr. medium kick (knockdown)

I find that close strong is his best AA. Other good ones are far standing fierce and standing roundhouse

His best simple punishes with charge are:

cr. fierce xx machine gun upper or cr. fierce xx EX upkicks if you don’t mind using EX for more damage

cr. fierce xx ex machine gun upper, juggle ex up kicks or heavy upkick in the corner

cr. fierce xx ex machine gun upper, juggle with U2 in the corner

*remember to mash punches during machine gun uppers for more damage

In the corner he can also

cr. strong xx ex sonic boom ~ cr.jab xx ex machine gun upper, juggle with EX or heavy upkicks/ex dread kicks/Ultra 2

also worth saying is that Ultra 1 does a pretty good amount of chip damage. about the same damage as a grab IIRC

thats all for now…Didn’t really go in depth with him. Can’t wait to play this game!

Deejay is that DUDE!

Just got through playing the game for the first time, and I am loving DeeJay.

The DeeJay vortex is legit. On some people I was able to rep it 2-3 times before they got out. Also, lk sobat kicks are safe, and also have good low invincibility, which makes them great for countering people who like to throw a lot of shorts or forwards.

Unfortunately, counter hit far fierce, slide, ultra 2 doesn’t seem like it’s that great. The fierce has to hit on the first frame to get the juggle, and connecting the slide follow up as an anti air requires you to hit them at just the right height. It is certainly doable, but you shouldn’t make a plan out of it. Rather, it’s something to keep in your pocket, and you should always go for the slide follow up if you get the juggle anyway since it seems like the best, most consistent damage you can get even if it resets instead of re-juggles.

On the other hand, ex MGU to ultra 2 is a very easy confirm for solid damage, and anti-air slide to ultra is viable with some practice. I’m gonna work on some setups for it the next time I play.

Truth

Deejay vortex? probably I’ve missed something…
Can you explain plz?

Because of Dee Jays ambiguous cross up and varied knock down options it can be very confusing. This is what he means by vortex. It obviously isn’t as complex as Akuma’s but it can be a force to reckon with.

As posted earlier you can link sweep off of crouching jab. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Reason being, you can apply jab string pressure much like Balrog (black people love cr. jabs i guess). Anytime you can confirm a cr. jab it’s a free untechable knockdown which leads to mixups/vortex. VERY VERY important to learn this. Also, cr. forward as a sweep for dee jay is extremely safe. No Frame data yet, but it can be used as a poke with no fear of being reversedfor free (ryu’s sweep is punishable for days.)

edit: anyone found a reliable way to deal with the air space right above you? Dee Jay seems to have a problem with anti-airing anything that is point blank…

Yeah, j.mk is VERY ambigous, due to deejay’s wierd short jump. I’m going to experiment with some other jump ins later to see what else I can do. Maybe something that hits non cross up with the same jump arc that mk would cross up. If so, that could really give the mixup some legs.

If there are no good moves for controlling the space, I’d imagine that you could always slide away from it? Or is the recovery too slow on the slide?

Close standing strong is good for AAing folks right above you. This has a little less use from a knockdown, or course. You can lk Upkick, and, if it crosses you up, you’ll be far enough to not get hit by anything. I’ve also found c.FP to have some decent AA ability against some jump ins.

I didn’t play DeeJay too much, so I can’t help out as much as I’d like. I was hit out of EX Dread quite a few times, so it’s invincibility is either right at the beginning for a few frames, or it’s only upper body or something. DeeJay HK Dread, c.strong xx Dread is too god like when you have em scared to press buttons.

Depends who the opponent is really. Alot of the time the recovery is too slow and you get punished.

I’ve found this move to be unreliable. When they are that close to you the move changes into a Close Standing Fierce and is no longer a legit anti air and will more often than not trade.

Strong is a long reaching punch, but when they’re close, it turns into his old standing strong from ST. I know, I keep accidentally trying to grab with f+strong like in ST, so I see it a lot… :frowning:

short upkick all day. Auto corrects as well.
Neutral jump fierce was good too