"It's show time!" Dee Jay Beginner Thread

Is his hard up-kick a good early anti-air

i like jump back RH same way boxer uses jump back HP

lk sobat kicks are NOT safe if you do them deep, maybe they become safe after a long blockstring if you space it properly so that you hit with the last few active frames but i don’t think so because i was getting low jab punished after attempting jab jab strong lk sobat as a blockstring.

if you do them deep it is at least -3 on block… you can definitely get a free reversal DP with roo after block one.
i think it is at least as bad as -5 because my friend’s gen was able to get a free s.mk xx hands after blocking one (assuming they didn’t change the startup of gen’s s.mk… which was 5 frames in vanilla sf4)

I only had a few games to muck around with DJ, but I couldn’t get reliable normal AA… i tried s.hk, c.hp, c.mp and s.hp… s.hp seemed to be the best out of all of them but would get stuffed or trade quite often… also it seems to have fairly slow startup. I’ll try close s.mp next time but I don’t think a normal that changes depending on distance should be relied upon as AA. Oh, his ex up legs is really good, autocorrects very easily and has nice invincibility… its very good AA, but obviously you need charge.

his low jab seems to be really good. it seems to have fast startup and seems to put you at significantly frame advantage. I was doing frame traps with it by the end of the night… (c.jab c.jab walk up grab… c.jab c.jab walk up counterhit c.jab into c.mk for untechable knockdown).

c.mk seems to be really good. it seems to be even faster than c.mp (i was able to do the c.jab into c.mk link a lot easier than the c.jab into c.mp link) and doesn’t seem to have that much recovery. as of right now i don’t see a reason not to spam it. it doesn’t really have enough range to be a good poke, but seems to work really well as a counterpoke. if they stick something out you’ll likely win or trade… either way giving you the untechable knockdown. if they try and jump it you’ll recovery in plenty of time to ex up legs as AA.

i didn’t really like his other pokes tho… s.mk and s.hk seem to have the most range, but the recovery on these pokes seem really really bad and easily jumped. not to mention the range of these pokes isn’t that great to begin with.

keep in mind that this writeup is just from playing DJ for less than 15 games total

Yeah, figured out last night that lk sobat can be punished. Free cr.lk xx scissors against bison (and probably worse) =(

st.hp was working okay as an anti air. You have to do it early though, and it seemed to trade with a lot of jump ins. Close mp is really fast, and seems to stuff a lot of things. It seemed to work best on jumps that were coming down right on top of you.

EX Upkicks are solid as AA, as are LK upkicks. LK upkicks don’t auto correct well, and aren’t very effective against crossups (ken’s j.mk was beating them clean every time). MK upkicks are harder, but have the added benefit of letting you juggle HK upkicks for another 2 hits afterwards. They all seem pretty worthless against grounded opponents though, and seem ot whiff on crouchers, so only use as anti-air or in combos.

Ultra 2 is also a decent anti-air, provided you have the angle right.

DeeJay’s cr.jab is ridic. Super easy confirms into cr.mk, as well as cr.mp and st.fp.

Pretty obvious, but you can ex sobat Ryu’s sweep on block. EX sobats are also great against ryu’s fireballs.

Ultra 1 doesn’t work as well as I’d like (read: it sucks ass). It’s slower and has less projectile invulnerability than Chun’s/Abel’s ultra 1s, so you have to be pretty close to hit it. It also doesn’t hit full off of a focus crumple unless you do it super quickly. If you wait too long, the ultra will only hit 3 times, and allow the other person to get up in time to counter ultra.

IMO cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mp is your best option for a block string. It has a low hit in case they are standing and pushes them slightly further on block.

it feels to me cr.LK is 4 frames while cr.LP is 3, not sure…but maybe thats why c.lp c.lp is preferred

What does that have to do with the block string? or am I missing something?

it means depending on what came out before, your c.lk has a better chance of getting stuffed

or if your jump in wasnt deep enough

I’m sure that a properly timed crossover/jump in or good pressuring in general won’t allow your opponent to punish your cr.lk because of that one frame.

Played around with down+lk a little today. It’s able to change the trajectory of jump ins. Allows for some pretty neat fake crossup setups. I also tried out a couple of other normals for anti-air. Far st.mp seems to work really well. It was also pretty effective as a counter poke. Far stand jab also seems pretty good. Looks like it has a lot in common with shoto stand jab. It was pointed out to me that st.short looks like it would be a good poke. Didn’t really test it, but I’ll mess around with it some tomorrow.

deejay shit i picked up this week:
short hop is abusable vs anti-air happy people, it also has sick priority, letting you apply pressure and hop over low attacks, something deejay has a little trouble with because he has no horizontal attacks that hit low to the ground, but short hop allows you to get back in their face, this can be a bad thing vs grapplers but your fireballs wont be garbage vs them and your far attacks hit them crouching so its all good. short hop is a good retreat option too, and it allows you to get over fireballs without letting the other person be “setup happy” like throwing an LK fireball as sagat and following with kara uppercut sometimes. short hop allows you to fuck up his timing on that stuff. deejay can hang in the air like rufus can in some ways, but hes smaller and faster, huge help to his offensive game.

his normals dont compare to other charge chars imo, he has good anti-airs but they dont even come close to chun and guile. he has a lot of problems with any anti-air thats RIGHT on top of him unless he has a down charge, something you wont have if you just blocked an air attack or overhead, watch out for that.

his fireball is probably one of the worst in the game IMO, it has shitty recovery on a charge, worst of both worlds here. its just there to give him a wall to follow and zone slower characters to mid range.

deejays walkspeed and footsies are solid with c.MK. his c.LP pressure is solid too. his crossup is actually quite good and crosses them up from somewhat far unlike stuff like ibuki and sagat have.

his defense is GARBAGE. he has NO options if you jump over him and hit a low attack since you wont have side charge and upkicks wont work.

all dread kicks have a split second of invincibility but it doesnt last until they’re active. all of them are unsaafe.

he has instant overhead with j.MK but u need to fuzzy guard them to do it (lead in w/ jump attack and hit them with this if they’re still in hitstun).

i need to see if i can make short hop totally safe, not sure but i think you are at frame disadvantage when you do it??

ex dreadkicks is good at breaking focus and beats backdash like 100%, but if they time their focus like perfectly, they can hit oyu out of it and get a CH, really lame.

his ultras are GARBAGE. if you do u1 off ex mgu im pretty sure you are PUNISHABLE 100%, even if you get the max # of hits on it and you lose your oki game, terible. U2 is okay if you corner them and land a combo. sucks otherwise since no one with half a brain will jump at you with a down charge. slide ultra is HARD, if they just dont jump that close to you its unlandable.

c.HP is a good move thats kinda slow but still has its godlike ST hitbox. nothingbut red baby! its SICK in frame traps, this is the ultimate move to fuck over low tech imo AND its special cancelable so you keep pressure. c.LP c.LP, c.HP -> fireball is great. you might be able to hitconfirm it, idk.

stand MK still retains a lot of frame advantage and recovers pretty quickly imo, might be your best safe meaty, i know it at least beats ex zonk as a meaty. use this if you dont want them to leave the corner but need some pressure.

oh also short hop is instant down+short in the air, like the guy above me said, i found this like 2 weeks ago.

in bold

There is so much wrong in this post. I dont think we are playing the same game. Or you are trolling

ill try what you said earlier but ive had my max outs punished on reaction by shit that wont punish a sonic boom but will punish a hadouken (ex ruffian and a few ultras, yes i was down blocking). ive had my LK upkicks whiff 100% of the time on c.LPs with any medium height character. late short upkicks is even riskier because then you’ll be hitting up when a meaty will be going active on you and get hit. as for LK upkicks for just breaking pressure, its a pretty mediocre option at best anyway. i mean hes no worse than chun in this boat and chuns a solid character so im not complaining here, just a statement of fact. deejay has to ride out his defense like a man.

as to “i always have a down charge” thats such a bullshit theorycrap answer. you know for a fact if someone gets a good jump read on you while you dont already have a down charge or you just hit forward to walk or you’re playing footsies you dont have an answer for whats on top of you, unless close MP works well in that regard (it might! i havent tested it enough sorry). but saying “you always have a down charge” is a situational call. what if someone does a safejump meaty on your wakeup? you’re forced to take a high attack. no down charge. what if you just focus backdashed? what if you just hit a standing attack? good players will rarely if ever jump on you and if they do its probably in a safe situation or a sick read.

I meant short upkicks on Crossups, besides for Viper, it has worked for me everytime so far. And typically, I always have a charge, but I play lame. If you dont have a charge, neutral or jump back fierce is godlike, as well as cr Fierce, and Standing Fierce from ranged.

max out can be punished by ultras that are designed to punish fireballs, Balrog, Chun, abel, etc etc but thats not a problem with the max out being slow on recovery thats just how it works, when certain characters get ultra and super, you cant throw max out from certain ranges or positions. But you can say that about most characters. i would say it is harder to time on Deejay similar to how it is on Guile.

The way I play is really lame so I actually have down charge 85-90% of the time. I dont really engage in heavy footsies especially with chars that have good footies (boxer for example). I think dee jay is better suited to be zoning and countering as well as abusing his pressure on opponents wake up. I think Dee Jay has one of the top crossups in the game. I would recommend always ending the combo (unless going for the ultra or the kill) in cr. Mk in attempt to vortex. imo.

right, lk upkicks will beat a crossup, but not jump over, low attack which makes you lose your side charge (and u2 charge). if a move hits low enough, upkicks will simply whiff completely after that situation, deejay seemingly has no answer to that problem. which is going to be how good players should mount offense on him. playing a defensive game works until they get past a max out wall, which is when you are typically playing footsies or after stuff like a blockstring (on both sides). being punishable by an ultra on reaction to a fireball means his fireball isnt good! its limited by a charge (disadvantage) while having as much recovery as a regular shoto fireball (disadvantage), its comparable to chuns fireball in that regard. i think chuns is better though? not sure. sure as hell at least doesnt have sakuras recovery at least.

if im so wrong you could responds with facts? except im right so you dont have anything to say.

Troll it is then :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you talking about people jumping over you when you are standing? If so, close standing strong is great for controlling the space above you. It’s very fast. You can also jump back fierce or jab, both of which have great priority in air to air situations.

If they are jumping over you after a knockdown then, welcome to charge characters. As long as you are playing a charge character, (smart) players are going to do things to try and rob you of charge. And not having a down-up charge move that is effective against grounded opponents isn’t the end of the world. Sure, guile can flash kick in that situation. But if that flash kick get’s blocked, guile eats an ultra. Same for headstomps/spinning bird kicks/buttslams. Hell, same thing for dps. The point is, you shouldn’t be looking for something to get you out of pressure ‘for free’ because, frankly, it doesn’t exist. If you are up against someones momentum, rolling the dice on challenging it isn’t the answer. The best thing you can do in this situation is to block/tech smartly, and wait for your opening.

Really dude? So I guess Ryu/Sagat/Akuma also have shitty projectiles, since they can also be reaction punished. In fact, ALL projectiles in this game can be punished if used in the wrong situations. Even Guile’s jab sonic boom is punishable (if you don’t think so, I can introduce you to an abel player who ultras those on reaction). Max out is overall a good projectile, and can be very effective if you use it correctly. If the opponent has ultra, and is in range to ultra you, don’t throw projectiles. Simple as that.