Item Knowledge Database

I think this is well known but if there’s already one grenade on the field and you bring out another one and shield to drop it, if the first grenade is in the air, it will drop instantly. Similarly useful since if you get the timing right, you can just drop the grenade right infront of a person who picks it up and throws it.

For smart bombs, damage can be minimized by tapping the control stick (and second stick if you have one) away from the center of the blast. You can even pop yourself out of the blast radius and not suffer any of the finishing knockback.

Food can heal more than 8% - I’ve seen it heal 11% and 14%. The latter was in SSE though, and I’ll have to double-check that I didn’t have Food Effect Up active.

OH! How could I forget this one…

With battering items in general, they appear to have a ‘non-use’ timer (that results in the item disappearing) that only pauses when it’s picked up.

For instance, if you grab a fan that’s blinking, when it hits the ground again, it will resume flashing and disappear soon if not reclaimed.

I’m fairly certain other non-battering items do this as well, such as the blue spring and soccer ball, but it’s most useful to know for things like the beam sword and fan.

Here’s a random one:

Snake’s grenades, C4, and Nikita will all blow up a marked exploding crate on contact.

All flame based moves do.

Uh, using the screw attacks and landing it basically get you a free footstool.

If you hold down shield while a stage hazard hits both you and your opponent while your opponent is hitting you with the fan infinite, you will automatically block the hazard while your opponent will take the damage. This, of course, assumes the stage hazard in question is blockable.

I’m mainly for no items, though I would also like to help gathering info about items, it would be nice to see how this develops… d<_< b

d >_>b…
This use of the green shell looks pretty cool, and useful.
-Gaining Height for throwing upwards or sideways for a Vertical kill.
-Recovery, maybe?
-Stalling, (some characters)
[media=youtube]-wuUlwr7RCo&feature=user[/media]

Also the Gooey Bomb, I’ve experienced hitting it and blowing off myself out of the stage…

Interesting little thing about the Waddle Dees. If Dedede presses A in front of a Waddle, he’ll automatically pick it up and toss it again.

Dedede and Peach can also randomly spawn items with the WDT and the Veggie Pull respectively.

Apparently, you can control what item comes out with Dedede by keying in a specific button combo.

[media=youtube]31CfqAlpAfY[/media]

A few things not in the OP:

Diddy’s bananas are the same as regular ones.

ROB’s top is called a Gyro. He can charge it. He can’t spawn another until the first one disappears. It stays on the ground and causes damage to anything that touches it. It can be grabbed by an opponent but I think you take damage when you pick it up.

Standing on a rolling crate as it rolls off the stage is the funniest way to die. Period.

Sandbags spawn random items when hit enough times with moves strong enough to draw confetti. They seem to have a hidden damage meter since knockback increases as the bag is hit. When used as the only items, it will only spawn stickers and CDs.

Bunny Hood increases ground speed and jump height. On an amusing note, sonic can outrun the cars on Big Blue with the Bunny Hood on. :slight_smile:

From what I can tell, Curry deals one point of damage per hit. It can safely explode Blast Boxes.

The Star Rod fires a star shot when used in a tilt or smash attacks. You have limited ammo (20 shots, I think?) but the rod can be used as a battering weapon indefinitely. At the right distance, you can combo the rod hit with the star shot, similar to how Wolf’s Blaster acts when it hits up close.

Ray Gun has 16 shots of ammo.

Smart Bombs occasionally fail to explode on contact but usually explode shortly after.

Deku Nuts only do damage on a direct hit and if it explodes right next to someone. It will still stun anyone near it even if it doesn’t hit directly. It explodes on its own after a while and also blows if it’s attacked.

Freezies can be destroyed by attacking them. Freezing last a while so it can be deadly as an edgeguard.

Pitfalls thrown on the ground will sit invisibly on the ground until someone hits it. It won’t affect the player who threw it. I think it also follows the reflection rule like the Pokeball but I haven’t tested it.

Mr. Saturn does serious damage to shields unless it’s Perfect Shielded.

Green Shells aren’t “loyal” to whoever throws/hits/jumps on it. It will damage you like it damages anyone else if it comes in contact with you.

Bananas cause an auto-trip when it hits a grounded opponent, either when thrown or slipped on. Grounded bananas don’t affect the thrower, but if picked up and thrown (or reflected) it will switch loyalty.

Uniras don’t damage the user but loyalty can be switched if it’s hit by an opponent.

Team Healers only appear in team matches. It damages opponents slightly and heals teammates when thrown. If reflected by an opponent, it can heal your opponent’s teammate if it hits them. I’m not sure how much damage it causes/heals.

Franklin Badges act as auto-reflectors and works on all manner of items and projectiles. Like Screw Attacks and Dragoon pieces, it can be knocked off.

I should have posted in this thread earlier since I tend to forget things, but let’s see if I can remember things on top of other things that I discovered yesterday (Saturday). Most of this will probably addendums to the above post by residentwaterfowl:

Of the random items created, it appears that Dedede’s will always be in capsules, which are often explosive and do around 35% (!) and can produce any item (except for maybe regular crates and party balls and Sandbag), including Smash Ball even if items are turned completely off. It appears that Peach can only pull the sames one that she could in Melee: Beam Sword, Bomb-ombs, and Mr. Saturn.

For the few of you haven’t noticed, though I’m sure this already pointed in this thread besides the Dojo but the Beam Sowrd extends now.

Bomb-ombs explode much more quickly now and only walk a short distance before starting their death throes. Now their timers functions even when they’re being held, so that you can’t hold on to them very long. Also, from some, if you roll with them, an opponent can sometimes hit the Bomb-omb and only the Bomb-omb while you’re be safe from the subsequent explosion, sort like a universal version of Snake’s grenade trick.

This one is probably the most pointless one, but Mr. Saturn can bounce off of Bumpers on his own if you let him walk around.

I think that all the peaches from Peach’s Final Smash uniformly heal a fixed percentage of 5% or 6%, but I forget which one it is.

Although a rare occurence, Smash Ball can be completely destroyed by stage hazards, which means that no one gets a Final Smash until another Smash Ball comes along.

Picking R.O.B.'s Gyro does not infact hurt you…if you’re successful. It’s just rather difficult to pick up for people who aren’t R.O.B.

Nikita missiles seem like they can only be outright destroyed by other Nikita missiles when it comes to special projectiles.

Freezies will hurt you a bit if you end up destroying them with attack that physically touches them. This damage wouldn’t stun you or knock you back at all, it merely occurs.

Pitfalls in the ground disappear after a while. I’m thinking about half a minute, but it may be a longer time than that.

If hit by an explosives, then Uniras, the goal post, and probably the Soccer Balls will indiscriminately hit characters.

Lightning and Timers appear to be only items that will effect someone who is invincible from gaining a new stock. (I’m unsure if it works on a person who has Starman, though I wouldn’t be much surprised if it and negated Starman.)

Speaking of which, the only Final Smash to go through invinciblity seems to be Luigi’s Negative Zone.

Waddling EDIT: Oh, and before I forget, I would also like to correct the fact Item Eating part. Anyone with an item eating property can eat both Waddle Dees (!) and Wario’s Bike.

I’m not sure if it’s a size-depedent thing, but Kirby takes forever to swallow Crates and Barrels. I think that those maybe the most time-consuming consumptions.

The dragoon does 42% damage. I learned this because I got hit by it tonight and didn’t die because I hit a couple of walls. I don’t remember what stage I was playing on, though. I think it was Shadow Moses. I was playing Snake, at 0%, and I got hit.

Anyway, the dragoon, as it turns out, is not necessarily an instant-KO.

Next, I “plan” to somehow survive Marth’s FS one day, since I’m just that “lucky,” I guess.

EDIT: Oh, and I found something new with the fan, too.

Apparently, in Mushroomy Kingdom, certain characters (like Zamus) can stand on the right side of a pipe and swing leftward, locking down their opponent on the left side of the pipe to be scrolled off the screen. It works from the opposite side too, but you’ll die. I’d like to thank Shade for “helping” me discover this and the dragoon thing. :rofl:

EDIT 2: If Snake gets hit in mid-air while holding a grenade, he’ll drop the grenade straight down, assuming his opponent doesn’t touch the grenade. This is the only way for him to air drop a grenade, and he can’t air dodge if he has a grenade out in mid-air.

Also, if Snake fires a Nikita missile in mid-air, he won’t be able to drop it until he touches the ground. If you hit him, he loses control of it as usual. And, if the missile has a nearly vertical trajectory, it will come down later, after 15 sec or so.

If Snake primes a grenade while holding an item, he will drop whatever item he’s holding.

well, surviving marths final smash is much harder than simply baiting it.

if you’re standing still during the animation, you can dodge/evade it on reaction.

same goes for link, toon link, captain falcon, mk…

if they are close to you, you can also roll through.

this works with zelda’s fs as well.

also with zelda, if you are way too far, you do have a few frames to try and jump + dodge. its pretty hard to do consistantly. fear effect hits you off screen most of the time, and that’s really what you want to avoid. its also why simple dodging does work… because if you dodge the fear effect, the real arrows just gonna get you anyways. jump + dodge is really your only chance of getting by both. and the farther away you are the more leeway you get. basically you want to be either really close or really far when zelda has her fs.

with pk trainer, you can jump over it, roll through… if you’re close enough you can just run through the pokemon on startup.

with ganondorf, there is only two hits… one where the fox thing stomps (does fear) and then the actual charge. both can be dodged very easily.

samus you just want to keep the pressure on until you see her start up her fs. then just roll through during the wind up. if you can’t get close enough just jump as high as you can. at least then you’d limit the damage you’d take if your jump isn’t all that good.

with kirby you can straight up evade when he rings his plate… just dodge. or grab edge. edge is always the safest route, if its there, take it.

that advice is also for peach as well. grab edge. just when she has it play the edges.

for olimar, dodge in place. you can limit the amount of damage you take. i can get it as low as 15%, but maybe lower. you also get a free hit on olimar after. just make sure to avoid the rocket on the way up. it spikes, it pitfalls, it locks for the crash landing.

and mario’s fs… sucks. push off fs? well, getting hit by it is pretty hard as well… the tail end of the fireballs don’t hit.

recap:

marth:
medium/far - dodge (reaction)
close - roll through

link:
close - roll through

young link:
close - roll through

captain falcon:
close - roll through

mk:
close - roll through

zelda:
medium/far - jump + air dodge (reaction)
close - roll through

pokemon trainer:
medium/far - Jump
close - roll through/walk through

ganondorf:
close/medium/far - dodge when the beast stomps, dodge when the beast charges

samus:
medium/far - jump
close - roll through

kirby:
close/medium/far - dodge just before kirby rings the pot
near edge - grab edge (complete avoid)

peach:
near edge - grab edge (may still take damage)

olimar
close/medium/far - dodge in place (limits damage taken)

mario:
close/medium/far - whatever you want. hell, get hit by it and only lose like 40%.

Since I’m here, I might as well compile a Pokemon list.

I’m going off the list on the Dojo.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/mball/mball10.html

Piplup - Slides along the ground on a water wave. It pushes its victim along with it as it runs off stage. It will kill you unless you properly DI it.

Munchlax - Eats any item that appears in its field of vision. Mainly an annoyance. Does no damage and can’t be attacked.

Bonsly - Doesn’t do anything until it’s thrown. Slows you down like CRAZY when you’re carrying it. OHKOs anything it hits, even if it hits on a bounce. Is blockable.

Weavile - Dashes back and forth repeatedly. Does very little damage but stuns anyone it comes in contact with as if hit by a Deku Nut. there might be a point where it does some knockback but 'm not sure.

Torchic - Creates a vortex of fire that acts somewhat as a mini-Smart Bomb. The last hit has knockback. Can be DIed out of. The Pokemon will move a bit around the stage during its duration.

Gulpin - Sits around doing nothing. It’ll swallow the first opponent to go near it and deal some crazy damage before spitting it out for huge knockback. You can attack a swallowed enemy for additional damage.

Metagross - Stamps his feet for huge damage and knockback. Anyone who touches it will be driven into the ground so it’s a good place to camp.

Gardevoir - Produces a force field that reflects all projectiles thrown at it. I believe it acts independently of the person who threw it.

Meowth - Fires coins that do continuous damage in a fairly large area of effect. Will turn around to hit opponents behind it. Can be DIed out of.

Electrode - Explodes after a short time for serious damage and knockback. You can pick it up and throw it. Sometimes it will fail to explode, but it WILL eventually explode.

Goldeen - Does nothing…

Staryu - It picks an opponent, then fires stars continuously as them. Can be DIed out of. You can avoid the initial fire by moving around a lot in midair.

Snorlax - Jump up, expands in size, then comes crashing down on the stage. It does decent knockback and damage. Fairly easy to avoid.

Chikorita - Fires a bunch of razor leaves in front. They have limited range and the Poke won’t turn around like Meowth does. Easy to avoid.

Togepi - Does five random moves that effect all surrounding opponents. I haven’t seen enough of it to tell you which effects it has, though.

Bellossom - Puts all nearby grounded opponents to sleep. It doesn’t stay on screen for very long. Pretty much a free smash on your opponent if they get caught.

Wobbuffet - Does nothing until it gets hit. Then it wil swing back and forth, damaging anything it touches. The strength of the attack used on it affects how much it wobbles and the amount of damage and knockback. Doesn’t stay on screen for very long.

Groundon - Stands around and throttles anyone it touches. Will occasionally turn around and whack people with its tail. There’s a fairly amusing glitch involving Groudon that’s VERY situational. Youtube it.

Kyogre - Chases opponents and sprays them with powerful water blasts that’ll push people off the stage. Hard to avoid. Also damages anything it touches directly.

Moltres - Deals big damage and knockback to anything it touches while on screen.

Entei - Sucks enemies in with a huge pillar of fire and deals continuous damage. From what I can tell you CAN’T DI out of this. Leaves you open for a aerial KO.

Suicine - Fires a quick Aurora Beam that freezes anything it hits.

Ho-oh - Like Entei but much larger and more powerful.

Lugia - Fires a continuous Aeroblast from the background. VERY powerful.

Latias/Latios - They fly together, forming X shaped flight paths and blowing opponents and items with wind blasts. They also do some good damage and knockback if they come in contact with anyone. Very hard to avoid.

Deoxys - Fires a beam from the top of the screen a la Lucario’s final smash except it only travels straight down. Does great damage and knockback but it’s easy to avoid.

Manaphy - Switches the character of two players. If you played DK and your opponent was Mario, you ended up playing as Mario and your opponents ended up being DK. Damage meters don’t switch. This is not a tranformaion as much as it’s a body swap. An interesting strategy would be to almost kill yourself as the effect wears off. When it does, your opponent will be in a bad position to recover.

Mew/Celebi/Jirachi - They drop collectibles (CDs, trophies and stickers respectively). Once you have all the music in the game, Mew does nothing.

Diddy Bananas (same as regular bananas)
Damage - 5%
Blockable - Yes
Knockback Direction - Trip
Catchable - Yes
Notes- Thrown banana peel does 5% and causes the opponent to trip. A dash attack/Ftilt/Fsmash/DashUsmash is usually guaranteed. A banana lying on the ground will trip anyone except the thrower. Bananas can be picked up and rethrown. Only 2 banana peels for each Diddy are allowed onscreen at once.

Diddy’s peanuts
Damage - 5% Uncharged. Up to ?% fully charged
Blockable - Yes
Knockback Direction - Slightly backwards
Catchable - Yes
Notes- Peanut will fly until it hits a character/object/ground. You can fire a peanut and then chase and catch it. Sometimes a peanut will break open to give you 2 nuts that can heal a few % each. (Not sure of conditions.)

Pretty sure the peanuts busting open and releasing food is completely random. It can also happen during his final smash but those peanuts can’t be caught.

It would appear that dragoon pieces are easier to knock out of someone depending on how long they hold onto each piece.

Wario’s bite is special when used on explosives- Wario emits a brief explosive aura that deals 13% and does STRONG knockback when he eats any explosive- Link, Samus, and Snake beware!

(I found this on accident gobbling a random Snake grenade at point-blank range)

Is there away to escape the ‘fan infinite’ I can’t get away from that after my opponent is hitting me with it.

:u: You can supposedly DI out of it. Last night, I kept mashing on shield and perfect shielding fan hits until I broke out. I was playing Sonic, and my opponent was Ness.

Thanks man, I’ll try that. I heard somewhere it has something to do with characters also maybe lightweights can break out of it, but I’ll try that.