Is X-Box Live worth it?

i currently own a PS3 and an X-Box 360, however my X-Box has been collecting dust for a while because of my PS3 being able to go online for free, but I hear that X-Box servers are of much better quality, so i want to know whether it worth $80 a year for XBL?

I don’t play anything but HDR and you def get less diconnects and are able to connect to more people on LIVE. I sometimes have issues connecting to people from the east coast on PSN. I am able to play peeps from Europe with hardly any lag on LIVE.

Check online…you can find a 12month LIVE membership for cheap at times.

Newegg.com has it right now for $40

$80 a year?! First of all, paying the monthy fee of $7.99 (if you pay by month) is $95 a year. Buying in bulk is always the best option. You can find 12 Months + 1 free month cards for 35-49.99 depending where you look.

Live’s servers are ran by Microsoft, and since you’re paying for it, they don’t nix on the quality. I have no problem playing people across the US, and even play euro players with little lag.

Even beyond gaming, there are some great reasons to upgrade to a Gold Memberhsip, including Netflix integration, Live.FM (which I use far more than I ever thought I would…), early demos, twitter, facebook, etc. There’s enough ancillary benefits to Live in my opinion to justify it, when you add in that gaming is 10X better on XBL over PSN, I think its worth 7.99 / month (Or whatever deal you go get as mentioned above).

Not to mention the demos, great videos you get, the party function, theirs too much to praise about Xbl to complain about paying for it.

I was in the same boat for a long time, but playing SFIV on Live made me believe. It is totally worth it.

The money M$ makes from XBL Gold allows them to keep the servers up and running better than the PSN servers. Also, like what the others above say, you get more demos and XBL content since the revenue generated from XBL allows M$ to have lower licensing(?) fees to use the marketplace so that’s why you usually find more online content(ie.demos) on the marketplace than the PSN shop; because Sony charges developers a fortune to put things on the PSN shop. blagh run on
You get what you pay for, although i find that XBL cheats a little that i tend to find the same people again more so than PSN(so you’ll commonly get better connection players). Don’t think it’s a coincidence.

PSN servers arent even run by Sony, its up to the individual developers to provide/maintain them

Yes. It’s the little things, like ragequits counting as a loss in MvC2 ranked matches on xbox, and not on PS3. But either way, it’s $50.00 a YEAR, which is less than a dollar a week… If you can’t afford that, you shouldn’t be using PSN either, you should be seeking employment.

lol @ strogg, 50 bucks a year shouldn’t be an issue, and its funny that some fanboys hold it against 360 user. i think the most important influence in using the 360 is who you play with. If you have a good amount of friends who want you to join, do so, 50 bucks a year is that big deal.

LMAO @ that one haha! Anyways… The answer to this thread is YES!

I would say yes

Yes it is worth every penny.

Xbox live is not worth a dime, its all p2p which cost M$ nothing.Atleast psn has dedicated servers for some of there games which do cost money to run.

People are so misinformed. Its not just p2p service. If it was just P2P, Xbox 1 wouldnt be getting the axe from XBL like it is.

XBL is worth every penny and its just $50 a year.

LMAO @ Stroggs comment, well said!

yes it is worth it

Also a PSN/XBL user here and I do agree the PSN network gets a little choppy at times to a point where it drops you with no warning. Very frustrating at times. XBL has been a lot more stable for me. If you’re looking expand your competition or have friends on XBL, I’d definitely say yes, it’s worth it. I picked up my XBL voucher from Dell for $35 a year. Periodically check slickdeals.net , that’s where I found mine.

Amazon has it for like 38bucks(1 year) and yes its worth it

To the OP: As someone who uses both PSN and XBL, i think you should shell out the $50 a year for XBL. It’s well worth it!.

For less than a buck a week you will get a whole lot more than PSN gives you, with better quality connections, easier to use interfaces for finding players, friend requesting, and game inviting people, plus voice chat is a lot simpler and cheaper to get running and adds a real social element to lots of games like street fighter and more, because you can chat in player lobbies easily. Being able to talk on XBL without shelling out for a bluetooth headset has a big effect on things like teamwork in many games like shooters etc, and is great for discussing tactics in fighters and other games involving strategy. It makes the actual game experience much more enjoyable and deeper for many games, as well as just adding to the social aspect of your gaming because you can shoot the breeze and get to know your friends by chatting to them while you play, instead of them just making up the numbers and not having any kind of communication.

The vast majority of players on XBL have headsets already, and if you don’t own one you can get a generic one anywhere for less than $10, whereas on PSN because there’s a $30-50 entry cost for a bluetooth headset, in game voice is still in the minority. Even if you buy one, you won’t have too many people to talk to because most people won’t.

I own both systems, and both are online, and i absolutely could not do without XBL, but could take or leave PSN, despite the difference in cost. I’ve played the same games online on both systems, and in 99% of cases the experience is a lot smoother and better run on the 360. I will always choose 360 over PS3 for a multiformat title if i know i’m going to be playing online lots. Sure you have to pay for XBL, but like has already been posted, it’s a buck a week, that’s less than the cost of one new release game, and it will give you multiple times more value and enjoyment from most of the games you have every year, as well as giving you access to a ton of great free demos (every arcade DLC title has to have a free demo) movies, social networking, and lots more.

If you’re in any doubt you can usually pick up a free couple of days trial of XBL in many new games to try it out, or just buy a month and see what you think, but trust me, it’s well worth what you pay for it per year, and is much cheaper if you do it that way. XBL is a much better run, more useful, more poulated, and more fleshed out service than PSN is, and it has practically no maintenance downtime, whereas PSN is offline at least once a week. You really do get what you pay for.

It’s very much worth it. I’m not as into gaming as I was a while ago (when I signed up for this site) but if there’s anything that’s kept me going it’s my Xbox 360 and Xbox Live.