Is Poison a "TOP" or a "BOTTOM"?

A character that has insane mobility, buttons, footsies, anti airs, escape options, zoning options, vortex, and now amazing combo options off of far standing hp. He only just won E3 and Dreamhack ya know…

Yeah, I really hate everything about that character. He’s a prime example of giving a character every fucking option at the cost of lower life is not a good design choice…at all.

Also, to get back on topic. Any character that has a way to change their jump trajectory is going to be a bad matchup for Poison. From what I’ve played, I think Gouken could possibly be her worst matchup. A dive kick, multiple options off of his demon flip including a parry which makes anti airing him risky, and very fast fireballs, his palm etc. You aren’t winning that matchup at any part of the screen.

Agreed. Akuma is a powerful character.

It’s only been a week, and we’re already starting to see a decline in Poison players online. :frowning:

I can see why. We have rekka’s missing randomly in combos. (Try doing cr.mk into mk rekka and the second rekka will whiff on a crouching ryu.), her cr.mk still cuts off at her ankles, her bnb is a 1 framer, she has no 2 in 1 combos so she is free to focus attacks, her anti air isn’t consistant, she doesn’t have any great buttons, slow walk speed, and a slow armor break. Im starting to see on paper she’s good but in play she’s bad. come to think of it…4 out of the 5 new characters seem to be sub par or just crap…
Oni is also near impossible to beat without running away and getting hits randomly.

4 of the 5? Who would you consider the best DLC character then?

Opinions about Poison seem mixed. Some players are reporting that she’s powerful and top-tier material, while others are saying she’s average to horrible.

Am I crazy for thinking that Elena has the most potential out of the 5 ? probably to be honest.

I think Decapre is probably the best out of the bunch, then poison. I think rolento will fall once people realize you can option select his roll. Poison definitely can…

I think the QQ is a little early. Yes she has slow walk speed. Yes her AA game is wonky. Yes her reversal is only good grounded for a move that looks like an AA reversal. Yes her normals lack active frames. Yes all her links are tight.

But no she’s not free to focus, lmt destroys focus, and it’s a big risk for an opponent to focus around poison. She has a forward moving armor breaking projectile inbincible safe move that leads to a hard knockdown or combo. She has a dp fadc u1 which does loads of damage. Her u1 can be comboed for 1 bar. Her fireballs have great recovery and advantage. Her meaty hp fb is dirty with follow up pressure. All her fireballs have free juggle states. Her rekkas gave good corner push. She can do nice damage for 1 bar. She builds meter faster then most. Her super is 2 frames and a command, and does some of the highest damage for a super. She has 1000 health. Her ex fb is really quick, 9 frames start up and starts almost at half screen rather then at your fingertips.

She’s a good character. She has her few bad match ups and her few good match ups, she’s evenish with the rest. She’s got potential I think.

I think she might have a good amount of good match ups. I changed my way of playing her from just mix ups and pressure to more cody like which is to pick my moments to get my hits and then like some other characters to hold on to my health. imo I think she’s more of like a trap character make in which you bait your opponent a lot and then they fall for it. Its been working for me. As for her AA game I think her cr.hp has a sweet spot because I always try to do it at the apex of like a shoto jump and it doesn’t seem to trade.

To be honest she feels like a mid. She has a great fireball game and decent ultras. The main issues stem from her awkward hitbox issues, ex rekka into ultra 1 not working on certain characters for no reason, inconsistent dp, terrible walk speed. Her neutral game feels like a worse version of Rose half of the time. The main pros are that she can do a good amount of damage from many different situations, comboable overhead, mixups after ex rekka, she falls out of Chun Li’s ultra 1 juggle in the corner, jack of all trades.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well she does seem to play up to the name…

I think she is just like Ken. True middle of the pack.

Very solid character but is more reliant on player than autopilot like some of the known Top Tier characters.

As a ken/poison main I don’t draw the comparison. With Ken I feel I have a fair shot in every match up, like he’s 5-5 across the board. With poison I feel like she has bad match ups (Dhalsim, Gouken, Akuma, Yun, Yang, Viper, Ibuki, vega), frustrating match ups (bison, blanka, Sagat, e.ryu, rolento, Elena), she has fair ones (ryu, Ken, rose, Abel, sakura, cammy, Decapre), she has good ones (chun, Honda, guile, makoto, zangief, Dj, Cody) and dominant ones (Hugo, dan)

Oh and her mirror is fucked.

These aren’t all of them obviously, just some off the top of my head I’m pretty confident in.

But I do agree she is middle, Ken I think it’s either bottom 10 or just shy of 10 like 11 or 12

I feel like Decapre is in Poison’s favor. Poison can focus almost everything she does to try to get in. I think she has to rush her down in that match, and Im not sure about yun and yang. I’ve been doing fairly well against those two. I do agree with Dhalsim, Gouken, Ibuki, and Vega. Vega isn’t too bad once you corner him (He has to have no meter though…)

Have any top players chosen Poison as their main for EVO?

well top is relative but if you mean guy that are likely to make top 16 at EVO then no. I feel like Poison match ups nature with being free to some characters will prevent her from that. We are seeing guys like Momochi dropping Cody because like Poison he have some very hard match ups while it may be better to use someone like Ken that don’t have extreme bad matchups. Poison would probably be a secondary counter pick character at best.

That’s disappointing to hear.

I feel like Poison is some how “incomplete?”. but yeah I think she is now mid or low mid in this game. I actually chose to play ken and oni just to not have to deal with so much bs in this game now.

You’re dumping Poison?

I don’t think Poison is very viable as a Tournament character, however for casual sets and local tournies and online, she should be ok. We don’t have tournament here except for Tekken for some reason but I use her regularly a lot vs friends in casual sets and such. I would imagine having to travel and pay money just to go to a tournament where you would face a lot of bad match-ups isn’t something a lot of people are willing to do.