Is Poison a "TOP" or a "BOTTOM"?

Jokes aside, where do you think Poison ranks in the tier list? Is she top, versatile (mid), or bottom tier?

Day 2 there buddy. A little early to call her placement.

I’m just curious what everyone thinks so far. I know we won’t get anything official until several months later.

My super early call is that she will end up mid or high mid. Mostly due to her fire ball game and up close pressure game which will take a while until its optimized.

Too early. But She’s easily Mid- Bottom.

I don’t know a ton about this game yet, but I think she will be a solid character with enough bad MUs to be called anywhere from high mid to low mid. Obviously it’s way too early to tell but she doesn’t feel like a shitter and she doesn’t have anything broken…yet.

This and the asking for buffs thread are at least 4-5 months too early in my honest opinion but sure you ok to discuss it…though I’m inclined to believe most people aren’t really going to have solid answers as matches are still being formulated as we speak…just throwing that out there.

She’s definitely a power bottom.

Well she sure does like slapping them bottoms now, doesn’t she.

Too early to discuss it in my honest opinion. However, and I’ve been called crazier before:

If she stays the same and nothing gets patched or changed, she’s top 8, outside of top 5. She has damage, great space control, can run away, ,can pressure, has mixups, couple of unblockables that I’ve found already, gets a full combo off of her overhead, has character specific cross-ups with her LMT which can lead to a small meta/mind-game in and of itself…the list is quite long, really. Those are just some of the bigger points, there’s actually several smaller nuances/things that she has that makes her annoying as well. (Example: Fireballs slowly and automatically move her forward, so in a fireball war she’s closing the distance with every one she throws. Throw range is absolutely insane, forward throw does 150 which if i’m not mistaken is the second most damaging in the game now, etc.)

She has all the tools necessary to win, but does have a couple of bad matchups. At the end of the day I think the top 5 characters are just slightly better for very obvious reasons, Yun/Evil Ryu being the prime examples. They get just as good, if not better, damage than she does with meter, for starters. Better DP than she has so it’s way easier to anti-air consistently. (Reasoning: She has the “Chun” syndrome imo, where she doesn’t have one dedicated anti-air. She has a few different ones she has to use at different ranges, as opposed to an all-purpose DP or Up Kicks)

I’ve been called crazy before, though. When Oni first dropped in AE, I thought he was a great, and complete character. Everybody that I told that to and talk to and even debated about it, thought I was nuts and wanted me to prove them wrong. I may not make top 8 at majors or such, but i’d like to think that I know what makes a complete, and tournament viable character. And I definitely think that Poison has what it takes to be a huge problem right now.

I like your in-depth analysis.

However, even though I enjoy playing as Poison, I’m going to have to disagree with you. She does average damage and has wonky hitboxes with her whip. Furthermore, her DP is garbage now unless you use the EX version and she has average/slow movement speed.

Top 8 is way too generous. Rose can do almost everything she does but better. Poison is mid to bottom tier. I don’t see competitive players using her unfortunately. She has more bad matchups than good.

Even though she doesn’t compare to her SFxT version, she’s still fun to play as.

Like I said, I’ve been called crazy before. Just right now, early on, despite it being early and me not liking to put characters next to numbers, I think she’s an amazing character. I think her damage is great with FADC’s, especially when optimized. Examples to try and back up my thoughts:

-Throw a bad fireball in a fireball war, or if she gets a jump-in, J.HK, C.MK x MK DP FADC U1 is 521. If you substitute Close S.HK instead of C.MK if it’s a closer jump-in, that’s 561.

-C.MK x LP Fireball FADC C.HP x HP Rekkas is 318, a solid reward for not blocking your feet when she has meter. Also, C.MK x MP Rekkas is 208 every time, and leads into a great meaty situation. Catch them ducking and clip them with an overhead, (into C.LP, S.MK x MP Rekkas) that’s 244. In that sequence of guessing wrong that’s almost half life, into another advantageous situation for her. Her damage isn’t on par with say, Evil Ryu/Yun’s, but she can still hold her own and she hurts if she gets that touch.

I still don’t do everything that’s optimal like I should, so I myself am leaving free damage on the table every match that I play.

As for the wonky hitboxes with her whip, I agree there. They randomly seem to whiff sometimes and I wish they were fixed, however i’m still able to make due and control space fairly well with them. I don’t disagree with you there, haha. I’ve had S.MP and J.HP just go right through characters for no reason, and it sucks. That I think should be fixed for sure.

DP is definitely not that good, I’ll agree. And I wish that it was better, either with more of a horizontal hitbox, or to at least pull them in for all the hits like Gouken’s Tatsu does. If I get a correct punish/anti-air with her DP, hard as it is to place without getting stuffed/trading, then I feel I should be rewarded with all the hits. Only getting one hit and them then just falling out of EX is complete garbage, and I think that should be fixed. It’s only fair. It’s an anti-air that doesn’t always get all the hits when connecting. Make it to where if I hit early on as a deep anti-air with it, her legs as they fold up for the rest of the DP pull them in and give me all the hits. If it hits late then it’s fair to not get it all, but I think if I hit on start-up then a Poison player should be properly rewarded. Also she has several other anti-airs so I think it’s a bit of a trade-off right now, despite the previous point about her wonky hitboxes. Yeah, they’re wonky, but they still function and are usable.

I disagree that Rose can do everything she does but better. They’re both about even as far as zoning imho, for different reasons. Rose builds meter like a madman, and can really keep up with her reflects. Poison on the other hand, has decent recovery, EX is MAD fast in a fireball war and can really give you some good real estate if you follow up behind it with a dash, and she slowly moves forward with each fireball so she’s closing in on them with each one she throws. Both are great for zoning, but for different reasons, again. I think Poison’s pressure is better than Rose’s too, not to say that Rose cannot pressure, however. She has tools for it. I just think Poison’s is a lot more scary than hers.

As far as more bad matchups than good, the only ones I think are hard for her right now are Vega/Blanka/Evil Ryu/Yang. Yun seems to be a problem for most people, and I won’t argue that, however I don’t think it’s super bad. I think she can fight. It’s a bit difficult and requires a lot of in-depth knowledge, but I think she has tools to combat him. He can’t just yolo his way in if you’re conscious about controlling space with her, and do it wisely. At worst, 6-4 Yun. Hard, but not unwinnable. Outside of that I’m not sure, I’m still learning matchups day by day and match by match, so I can’t really speak on too many as far as hardcore numbers go. She bodies Grapplers I think, and can hold her own vs Zoners too.

Lastly, as far as competitive players, I don’t know if this particular one is true, but I heard Mago might be messing with her, and apparently Justin Wong is playing her, (after talking to him on FB last night and sharing the tech I found), Gootecks, Coach Steve/Insaynne, BrolyLegs, and Wolfkrone. So there’s definitely some names that are either actually playing her, or at least expressing interest in her.

Like I said, I’ve been called crazy before, maybe I am. And if i’m wrong, I’ll gladly apologize in the long run and eat my words. However right now I humbly stand by my opinions, and I want to try and see what she has and make her as big of a threat as possible. I agree that just like her SFxT iteration, she’s a ton of fun to play. That’s why I love playing her, she’s a fun character, and I think a great character that has all the tools to be viable and tournament contending. I’m just really excited to play the character, and with all the tech i’m constantly finding, (Unblockables, Cross-Up Love Me Tender, some OS’s) I think she’s got what it takes. Again, if I’m proven wrong then I’ll eat my words and humbly apologize. I’m just super duper optimistic for her.

There’s no hard feelings or animosity, just an opinion, which happens to have some length to it. Haha! :slight_smile:

No hard feelings at all. I enjoy reading your replies. :slight_smile:

I have to admit that I only play as Poison because I like the way she looks. If she looked like Rufus, I honestly wouldn’t even bother. Yes, it’s superficial, but it’s the truth. And I believe it’s the same for players like Gootecks who has admitted that he’s attracted to transsexuals and dated one at some point.

Concerning her wonky hitboxes, I believe the development team rushed porting her. Her whip worked perfectly fine in SFxT. I suspect that they did a rush job because Vega also uses a weapon, and the hitboxes for his claw are the same in both USF4 and SFxT. Will Capcom fix her wonky hitboxes? More than likely not since we’re talking about Capcom here.

Also, her U2 is complete BS. It does excellent damage but has poor range and opponents can jump out of it.

So, it’s all aesthetics with Poison. Make her into an over-weight dominatrix, and I doubt she would have a player base.

Her AA game is garbage, her normals don’t work properly, and she doesn’t have the tools to deal with footsies monsters. I think she’s fun as hell, and her zoning game is great, but given how many matchups the above problems ruins for her, there’s no way she’ll be top anything as-is. Numerous characters do what she does better than her.

I LOVE Poison, I just don’t use her because her inputs are glitchy and its odd confirming with her, Capcom needs to patch her buttons LOL

Gootecks dated a trans, wut?

Never was interested tbh, trying now because I wanted to give Guile a fireball fight. BNBs don’t seem too hard either.

Yup. See Akuma.

What about Akuma?

Her AA game is pretty decent. You just have to know whether or not to use her AA a little early or a little late. It also hits behind if you time it correctly.

Her AAs are not consistent though. Sometimes you will trade damage or completely miss.