Iron Man Critique Thread

So we have a video thread for showcasing talented Iron Man players and tech, but I thought I would make one for people like me who aren’t that great at this game and trying to get better to post footage they have and get some critique since we do have good Iron Man players that frequent the forums here and contribute.

The following is a FT10 with my friend who plays Viper/Vergil/Strider. He is a lot better than me, of the 10 games I only won 2. I have to apologize in advance because this is a 47 minute chunk of footage because my friend didn’t split the footage and I really don’t expect anyone to watch ALL of it, unless you’re really bored or something. If people could watch the first 10 or 15 minutes and give me some feedback I’d appreciate it.

[media=youtube]B9felSO1O00[/media]

My execution is atrociously bad and its something I’m working on fixing. You’ll see a random crossover counter, random Supers and a lot of dropped bnbs especially with Iron Man. I am also not doing c.M, s.H in the midscreen combo which is something I really should be doing instead of c.M, S since it does more damage and makes it more consistent.

What I’m looking for mainly is what I need to alter in my gameplan in general as Iron Man (or ‘neutral’ ), what I’m doing right and wrong, and when I need to be doing certain things versus other things (when to be shooting Unibeam or using Repulsor/using air H Smart Bomb etc, when to be doing for j.uH hit confirms into air to airs). If you have any general advice I’d love to hear it to, I wrote down a big list of stuff I was doing wrong to work on (like never once X Factor cancelling a lariat to kill Vergil, ughh).

If the footage being in one huge chunk turns people off let me know, I’ll try and get my friend to split it into smaller chunks.

Feel free of course to post your own footage to be critiqued.

I feel a bit compelled to post this, but I just have to say that Alukard’s Iron Man has improved immensely.

I remember watching some older matches where his Iron Man was pretty basis and wasn’t that great, but damn has he improved his shit lately.

His execution in general just seems to be a lot better and he has become extremely enjoyable to watch. I honestly think that he currently has the best Iron Man out there.

If you want to improve your Iron Man’s neutral, I honestly suggest watching some of his more recent matches; here’s an example:

[media=youtube]kwFH6OU80T4[/media]

Good shit Alukard, good shit. :tup:

I believe you linked the wrong video, that’s a match between MarlinPie and GreenAce.

I completely agree with the other stuff you said though!

Here is a tip for you. Always kill Vergil, xfactor, DHC or whatever means possible, unless you want him to come back and bite you on the ass. When you a hit on dangerous character or anchor character, do whatever it takes to kill, so there is less chance of anything random happening.

Otherwise , you don’t wave dash and you play really slow. You hesitate like a full second before you do anything, that can outright kill you. And your mix-up is poor, don’t just pipe, anticipate the push block and goes for other stuff like the leg drop, empty jump low, command grab or the axe move thats moves him forward. You can be quite lame with Hagger with jump back pipe and Uni-beam to bait Viper to come to you and snipe the Strider assist at the same time (pipe and lariat beats his assist), thats how Predator give Marlin Pie many problems when they play.

There is nothing anchor IM even with xfactor level 3 can do against Vergil and Strider unless the player is an idiot and let your slow ass moves hit them or jump into a Replusor. Try fishing for box jump m into h and box jump h and mix up your timing with fly cancels. You can get a few random hits from half screen with them and hope you get a lucky hit into a full combo. Don’t worry about combos, because a simple c.m, h into Uni-beam and Proton Cannon will do like 80%, just make sure you get the damage while you can.

So some basic stuff:

1. Movement. I know ironman moves like a whackbot. I know haggar is kind of slow. But if you watch top players, they are always moving. I saw very little wavedashing/back dashing, which meant your play was very passive. Which leads to my next point:
  2. Be active, not passive. You should be looking to attack, and by attack you should be actively looking to counter exactly what your opponent is doing. With haggar, it just looks like you’re trying to land random pipe. Since you don’t actually present a threat, eventually you get picked apart.
  3. Execution. This is pretty straightforward. Top players execute and don’t drop stuff.
  4. Very little usage of tigerknee unibeam and tigerknee smartbombs. Also, don’t just unibeam brainlessly. Also be looking to bait unibeam counters and punish.
  5. Ironman does have a trijump. Never saw it used ever. I don’t mean the whackbot trijump using airdash downtoward. He doesn’t have the dash delay on air dash back, airdash straight up, or airdash straight down.
  6. Where’s the throw game? Haggar and ironman can hurt someone off of throws with full combos.

I’ve been putting a lot of work into improving my execution this week, hopefully it shows. These matches were pretty eye opening in regards to what I do and don’t have down.

I may have another chance to record my matches tonight, if I do I’ll try and ask my friend to split the footage.

Thanks again, I know there are a lot of holes in my game but I’ll be able to get them fixed this way.

ugh… I found this in my history…

[media=youtube]wuDO7E-W-1A[/media]

NOTE:

• IT’S 3 months old
  • That team has been changed (even though I still think Magneto is better at the beginning than Viper. Viper with no beam assist is ASS, and no ammount of raw tag tech will change that)
  • I don’t really play that team much right now (Magneto{a}/Ironman{b}/Doom{b})

but please still give me critique as if those points don’t exists. Hopefully you’ll see things i don’t.

Save yourselves some time and watch the last 20 mins or so only… I’m doing you a favor.

EDIT: was wondering why i didn’t get any responses. turns out the uploader, made it private once he saw this ¬_¬… give me a while, I’ll re-upload it.

EDIT 2: Should be fixed now… it’s unlisted… =S

I play magneto, ironman, viper, but I still have mostly the same comments I told Fullbleed above.

1. Movement. I know ironman moves like a whackbot. I know haggar is kind of slow. But if you watch top players, they are always moving. I saw very little wavedashing/back dashing, which meant your play was very passive. Which leads to my next point:
  2. Be active, not passive. You should be looking to attack, and by attack you should be actively looking to counter exactly what your opponent is doing. With haggar, it just looks like you’re trying to land random pipe. Since you don’t actually present a threat, eventually you get picked apart.
  3. Execution. This is pretty straightforward. Top players execute and don’t drop stuff.
  4. Very little usage of tigerknee unibeam and tigerknee smartbombs. Also, don’t just unibeam brainlessly. Also be looking to bait unibeam counters and punish.
  5. Ironman does have a trijump. Never saw it used ever. I don’t mean the whackbot trijump using airdash downtoward. He doesn’t have the dash delay on air dash back, airdash straight up, or airdash straight down.
  6. Where’s the throw game? Haggar and ironman can hurt someone off of throws with full combos.
  7. If you can’t kill, TACs are a reset option.

So, if I have a critique of Alukard’s play, it is that he does not hit confirm midair with ironman very often. I see him land air h, down air h often, but then he lands nothing else afterwards, and we know he has confirms in the air.

The one nice thing about getting to record as infrequently as I do (I really need to get my own capture card) is that there are very obvious improvements in gameplay in the videos in the large gaps I wait to post them. Hopefully things will look a lot better the next chance I have to record Marvel. Working on getting TAC infinites consistent right now. Not nearly as hard as I thought they would be once you get the timing down, but I’ve ran into some problems as of late and haven’t been able to practice as much as I’d like too.

[media=youtube]bSZ-M-PNDh4[/media]
Me and my sparring partner messing around. I get bopped, bad. Trying to learn how to play lame.
I make bad mistakes, but hey… live and learn.

be gentle

Is it just me, or does KrispyKreme get stupid hard if you use j.Lm instead of mm? after s.h xx fly? Fuck Online…

[media=youtube]UeEUDy_AiLg[/media]

our set the next day. gonna watch these through myself… would really like ANY input on these two sets

You should play viper or spencer, iron man, doom

lamest player ever any game

I used to main Spencer, felt bored because he was just one-dimensional. and I also hate bionic arm… (Spence/Wesker/Ironman)
I have a viper team (Viper/Magneto/Ironman)
But this is my main team, and I feel I make bad decisions in general, so that’s why I’m uploading these sets. (Which haven’t gotten much attention so far, anywhere… here/Magneto/Doom boards…)
But I’ll wait.

For further notice… how would the board like video to be put up? cause fair enough, I get that 1 hour+ video are a lot.
So what would be less intimidating to critique? I felt more data would be best… but maybe ft5-10’s are plenty?

am I the lame one? or Darkhadou? cause I can’t wait to learn how Ironman can rushdown Dante and Zero with Vajra assist o.O

I am the lame player. You know who I am, I think Viper, Iron man & Doom is better because of focus attack & repulsar on incoming character, she can blow up zoning more than mag, fight the big guys wolverine, hulk better and much more difficulty to block, DHC very well to Doom or Iron man in corner unlike mag.

I… I do? o_O… can I get a hint?

My viper is ASS atm… it’ll be quicker to learn Vergil… but how is this helping me with my decisions with Ironman? or how are they relevant to the matches I’ve posted? Switching characters wont mean that I learn the matchup =/

I dunno man Magneto Iron Man Doom seems like a great team to me especially with the assists you’re using.

I can’t offer any advice because based on what I’ve watched your Iron Man is better than mine. I will say that apparently in the UK your internet is good enough to make this game playable online, I almost shit a brick when I saw you actually connect c.M, s.H xx Fly without lagging the game.

Good iron man the only critique I would give is to do more air to airy hit confirms. When ever the opponent jumps ironman has the advantage and the air normals to beat anyone. J.h’s for superjumps to confirm nd j.m’s for regular jumps for most cases. But any air to air hit confirm can turn into 700+ damage

well the net is good enough for BnBs, depends on who you play tbh, infinites are stupid, because you have to slow them down so much to actually get the H’s out…

Thanks for the crit cba Well, I kind of realised that myself recently too, glad to hear i was right. It’s just that it is ridiculously hard to keep up with characters like zero/dante/strider and jump when they do… I’m only just starting to get it with Dr.Doom (I honestly believe Ironman beats Dr.Doom).

I’m planning to get PVR equipment myself so I can record myself agaisnt more top tier characters… so you get to see how ironman handles (looses to) them :slight_smile:

also, shall i continue posting in this thread? or do i just post in the video thread?

I don’t think going for air to air confirms is smart unless they are about to get hit by missiles. Your ground to air is possibly the best in the game, everytime they jump you get a free doom call and repulsar letting you reset the situation, where an air to air may just get you fucked. Always stay on opposite plane of your opponent, Ironman isn’t great air-air or ground-ground but has tools specifically designed to deal with the other other two. As for critique, I don’t really every like critiquing players I’ve never gotten a chance to play against especially when they are playing online. I have no idea what was a dropped combo, what was a bad decision and what was lag. I don’t know how people play online in this game but I will say it definitely has worked for some people.

I think air to airs are good but they are matchup dependant. Hitting someone with a max range air j.H ADDF xx Fly is guaranteed damage if your execution is good. I think it really depends on the opposing characters tools, and I’ve had success poking at certain characters in the air. Against someone like Magneto though trying that shit is death. I mean I think they are good but applying them is really hard.

I’m dumb enough to play Iron Man anchor though so I’m looking for any way to land damage and air to airs are one way of that. I just wish there was some way to get the CPU too fly around or super jump in training mode so I could practice them on ‘live’ opponents, they always want to stay near the ground.