Info on the Old School SF Scene?

I was wondering what the SF scene was like way back in the days of SF2. It’d be cool if some of the older boys put down some of their memories. Actually I specifically wanted to ask about this dude Tomo. My friends say he used to play around where I live (so cal), and was generally regarded as the best 'round here. Hell, I might have gotten my ass kicked by him and not even known it back then. So my questions are: Why did he quit, and where the hell is he nowadays? I guess I can ask the same thing about Thomas Osaki, who also seems to be a god. But it’d also be nice if some of the newer gamers got to know how it was like back then.

1 Like

Old Skool lore… (warning: long!)

The old man stirred in the corner at hearing the young man’s question to the other fellows at his table.

“What’s that? Speak up, boy, these ears aint what they used to
be!” He croaked. “What’s that you say about the old school
days?”

The young man turned and stood up as an old, wizened man emerged from the shadows amid a cloud of smoke but steeled his nerves and said, “I want to know about the old skool days, what it was like.”

“Ah, well we didn’t use that new-fangled spelling
of “school”, for one”, as he took up a chair. “The old school days, eh? Sit down, boy, sit down, and I’ll tell you a tale… but you keep my cup full, you here?.”

With a glass of Jack Daniels on the rocks in his hand he
took a deep breath, staring intently at the young
man and nodded. Then he turned his eye off into the distance, into some past he held sacred.

“Yeah, I’ll tell you a tale, boy… Not one told often, or as often as it should. Because in these days there ain’t nothin’ like it, and prob’ly won’t be again. Pay attention now.”

Let’s turn the clock back to the year 1987 and a
little town called Oakland, California, and a 7-
11 not far from the intersection of Fruitvale and
McArthur and a boy about 11 years old.

Let me tell you of a time when a quarter was still a lot of money to us kids. Let’s talk about a game called “Street Fighter”.

There were fighting games before Street Fighter: Yie Air Kung Fu, Karate Champ, Punch Out… but Street Fighter was different. The
fighters were huge and detailed and brutal and sinister looking. Each was signficant and unique, and your ability to defeat each one was a measure of your skill.

When you got punched in the face the sound that came from the speakers sounded painful, not some 4-bit, scatchy, crackly
noise but a full and powerful SMACK. As primative as it was, it was closer than anything that came before to tapping into the animal instinct of two fighters locked in a mortal strugle.

I won’t dwell on those early years, though, because the original Street Fighter didn’t have too much of a following. I was a videogame junky by then, or what we used to call a “ware fiend” - a slang that comes from the old BBS days of downloading cracked games for the C64.

That 7-11 installed some pretty useless games over the years but every day after school a group of hardcore players were there no matter what, to dominate and master whatever they threw at us. Hell, I even kicked ass at Arabian and that game is a piece of shit.

See, it wasn’t just the game that mattered. It was the “scene” - the people and the friends you met and made, and the competition. Some kids got respect for playing on the basketball team. But we weren’t like them. We got respect by getting our initials on the high score table.

Yes, the competition. Even playing Ghost and Goblins there was an element of competition because when a good player walked up who could beat the game, the other kids took their quarters off the machine knowing they’d have to wait an hour before the next game. They stood around and watched you kick ass, though. And that was one of the main ways you earned respect back then.

Occasionally 7-11 installed a gem of a game, and Street Fighter was one of them. In the spring of 1987 I ran Track and after running my race up at Merritt College I’d leave the Meet early, catch the bus and spend the rest of the Saturday playing Street Fighter. It was just Street Fighter and 7-11 nachos. That’s all I really cared about.

In those old days the arcade industry was in a slump and had been since about 1984. It’s important to recognize this to really understand just how big the impact of Street Fighter 2 was going to be. There were few arcades and most of them were dark, seedy places that kids were either too afraid to walk into or weren’t allowed to walk into by any parent that cared a damn about their kid’s security. All the action to be had was at the local 7-11 or on this new home console system called “the Nintendo”. Girls never, EVER played videogames.

Street Fighter was eventually replaced by some other crap game and time passed. My parents love to gamble and Reno, Nevada was a second home to me. I knew every arcade in town. But on one trip I saw a game at Circus Circus - a knockoff of Double Dragon called “Final Fight”. This was a game that had instant appeal to everyone, especially button mashers. This is where the car from the bonus round in Street Fighter 2 came from. As wowed by the incredible CPS1 graphics as I was, this was just a hint of what was to come.

A few of those 7-11 grammar school friends remained friends when I started high school and just like before we were loyal game addicts. But now a couple of the guys had licenses and cars, so we headed for “far off” places like Bayfair, which up until then were just fanciful “palaces” we got to visit when mom wanted to go shopping. My friend, Phil, was an avid bowler and Bayfair Lanes had a handful of games. That was our hangout for about a year.

Then one day Phil told me that Street Fighter 2 was coming out. Phil was considered “the best” at the original Street Fighter and all those memories came flooding back. A place called Manor Bowl, not far away, supposedly had one. So we went.

I don’t know what it was, but the first time I saw Street Fighter 2 I didn’t want to play it. Phil played and started beating on these little kids with Ryu. He commented that doing fireball and uppercut were easier than in Street Fighter 1. He said that when doing jumping roundhouse you had to hit the button late (in the original you have to hit Roundhouse just as you start to jump or it doesn’t come out). After a couple of games Phil was doing the oldest of the old skool traps - the fireball-uppercut pattern.

The next day at school I was talking with my friend Ian during P.E. and telling him about Street Fighter 2. He had seen screen shots in the magazines but hadn’t played yet. “Dude, the fireball doesn’t take off shit, neither does the uppercut,” I told him. You see, in the original Street Fighter, the special moves were tough to do but did MASSIVE damage. Two fireballs plus a roundhouse killed your opponent. One well-timed spin kick could actually kill your opponent. In Street Fighter 1, being even ABLE to do the special moves was proof you had skill.

We decided that Street Fighter 2 was just eye-candy and not equivalent to the old skool original. This was a game for the “masses”, we thought. How right and wrong we were…

Finally I got around to playing it at our old homestead, 7-11. My very first round of Street Fighter, ever, was against Blanka and I got destroyed. Blanka was considered tough in the very early days. Zangief was considered practically invincible. I hated Street Fighter 2 after that. I mean, fucking Blanka? He was like some “monster”. All the characters from the original were human. The whole idea of this Blanka character seemed silly.

Then 2 Star Liquors, three blocks from my house, got a Street Fighter 2. I grudgingly tried it again and got my ass kicked again by a Chun Li. I tried it again with the same results. WTF?? No matter what I did she stuffed it! Throw a fireball and she just jumped over it and no matter what I did she’d hit me. Fucking WHORE!

Fuck this. I put another quarter in. This bitch is toast. By the end of the first round I heard something I’d never heard before:

"YOU LOSE…

… PERFECT."

I couldn’t believe it. Me, a guy who had killed Mother Brain, a guy who had saved the Princess, a guy who had beaten SATAN and a guy who had faced Adon and Sagat in the original Street Fighter and was declared “King of the Hill”… got his ass handed to him by a GIRL. I didn’t even want to play the second round. I HATED this game.

In the old school days there were always little kids milling around begging for quarters because they had no money, for all I know they still are. One of these kids asked for 2nd Round. Disgusted with this piece-of-shit game I said, “Fine, go ahead.”

Chun Li jumped, he moved under her and did ducking fierce. Chun Li did a spin kick and he did the same. But for a couple hits he won the Round easily. Then he turned to me and said, “See? She’s easy!”

A fucking eight-year old.

I was hooked. Pride, maybe, but I was hooked.

The first few weeks that Street Fighter 2 was out it was just another game for us to beat. Few ever challenged. You have to understand that before Street Fighter 2, video games were almost always about showing off your prowess against the MACHINE, not another person. Games were about patterns: learn the pattern and if you had even decent execution you could beat the game. The guys who could deviate from the pattern and still win were the heros. The guys who could rack up the most points were the ones that got respect. Like in Ghost and Goblins, the guys who blew through the game with the torch as their favorite weopon were considered Gods since the torch sucked so bad compared to the sword. If your name was on the high score table, you were the King. We took those scant three initials seriously back in the day because they were the evidence of our skill. And God so help the 7-11 employee that unwittingly unplugged the machine at some point and whiped the high score table. He was the target of unending scorn…

I don’t remember when it happened but about three or four weeks after SF2 came out I got off the bus and headed for 2 Star Liquors for my daily dose of ware play. 2 Star had installed a second machine and there were about 20 kids there, whereas before there were maybe two or three. 20 kids, crammed into a space that was maybe ten feet by fifteen feet. Think about that for a second.

When was the last time you saw 20 kids crammed around ANY game?

More tommorow…

Too good.

So true, good job bro.:slight_smile:

That was a good read, I’ll give this thread a foreign perspective.

This happened in Taiwan, a situation IMO commonly shared by many Asian countries.

I don’t know what it is about arcade, but it always has a special place in my heart that no console can take away. Even now with the sophistication of DC/PS2/GC/XBOX, there is just something about the arcades that made me drop $$ and play.

Like jcasetnl, going to the arcade was a daily after-school activity for the school gang. My neighborhood has small arcades all over. I remember there was a period in time I have a choice to visit 6 different arcades within 15 minute walking distance. It was just as common as convenient stores.

Anyways, I forgot exactly when I started to actively going to arcades, but it was slightly before SF1 came out. I wasn’t particularly interested in fighting game, I just played whatever is there. What I remember most about SF1 is that I always lost to Adon and fights between 2 human players are pretty much down to shoryken-fest. It’s almost like a joust. 2 players start to approach each other with jab shoryuken and see who get hit. Sometimes it stall because they do it at exactly the same time. But to sum it up, there were not much strategy involved. It didn’t matter to me at the time because I was just a kid mashing the buttons.

Since arcades were extremely popular in Taiwan, I often have to compete against people much older than I am and I usually get my ass handed to me, so I don’t play that often, I was just happy to watch.

When SF2 came out, it didn’t came out with much of fanfare for me. It just came. But within matter of weeks, EVERYBODY was playing it. I remember seeing some people that can finish the game PERFECT after PERFECT with Guile doing JUST air throws. Almost as if they know exactly when the opponent will jump throwing them down when the opponent is still rising. I also remember seeing the FIRST combo, cr. forward into fireball. I didn’t have a clue what combos were. I merely progressed from button smashing to specials spamming state.

Many different styles soon evolved. The invincibles are the ones that are ahead of their time. They study each normal, specials, priorities and stuff, nobody can touch them. And there are the I can do everything but I don’t know what it will do style. They just throw out random moves and such, kinda fun to watch back then because it was still pretty new at the time. There are also the move abusers like me. Spamming one particular specials and just keep doing it.

The arcade that I frequent the most has 6 machines dedicated to SF2. It is small, only has around 15 machines. That pretty much tells you how important SF2 was.

While all this is going on, it went on with a twist… Schools didn’t like students going to arcade after school, so teachers have a system of students reporting classmates who they caught going to the arcade. It’s always the girls tell on the boys. So going to the arcade for my gang and I was like breaking rules together. Probably because of this that we had a special bond between us that makes us trust one another. However, me in particular, has the toughest time of all… my parents strongly oppose me going to arcades. Whenever I am caught, I get punished. 99% of my punishments are because of going to arcade. You can say because of this, arcade means that much more to me.

I also remember buying my very first non-comic book using my own allowance. It’s a street fighter 2 book. It has screenshot of all the moves, how to do them, and pictures, bio and stuff. One thing sticks in my head and that was a huge headline: SHORYUKEN no longer invincible. And it showed successive screen shot of a shoryuken performed and the performer punished on the way down. It’s funny thinking back on this.

A while gone and the rainbow edition came out. I was like WTF? hadouken in air?!? These modified SF2 was fun for a while but it didn’t last. Same with accelerated edition. The next big thing was HF.

man that post was fuckin awesome. if there was a best post award id vote for that one u just made.

jcasetnl is top tier :slight_smile:

I hardly ever post but this thread deserves some ‘respect’. The second thread sums up very well what a lot of old timers (people in their late twenties approaching the big 30) experienced and can appreciate about the arcade scene circa 1983 (about the start of the crash) to 1991 (the ‘Golden Era’ in full swing) and what SF really meant to social aspect of going to an arcade.

I remember for me going to the Scarborough Town Center in 1987 and staying at the mall all day (I was a mall rat) and watching all ‘big’ guys play SF1 (it’s a primarily Asian community where I played) and round after round you saw these players just throwing fireballs and hoping to connect with an uppercut (just to illustrate how strong an uppercut was – 1 uppercut, properly placed against Geki - second guy on Japan after Retsu-- would kill the bastard - I don’t remember ever killing any other player in that game with one uppercut but Geki but I’m sure you could do it).

And when SF2 came out it was pure madness at times. Huge crowds around the machines and people you didn’t often see coming into the arcade actually coming in (I remember a bunch of big white biker dudes come in kicking ass with Guile and Dhalsim and was pretty amazed at their tricks). Then of course there were the glitches (handcuffs, freezes, magic throws) that people sometimes exploited and these individuals were hated because they locked up the machine then promptly took off (Ugh)

And I still remember a couple of weeks prior to SF:CE coming out there were huge posters outside the arcade and in some parts of the mall with the words Street Fighter: Champion Edition Coming SOON! When the hell was the last time you walked through the mall and saw huge posters advertising the release of a SF game?

Ahhh… the memories.

I’ll read all that later…

I just remember HATING SF1 when I finally played it for myself. I didn’t see what the big hoopla was…the control felt like your guy(Ryu) was moving through a tub of cement, and special moves only came out occasionally. The music was really cool though, as were the graphics for the time.:smiley: Even the voices were classic, despite the fact of them being hard to understand:

“Blua bluaaah blua bla bla blah. Derbluaah blah blah bloh.”

SF2–much better. Graphics were fukkin awsome for the time, and on my first time watching people play, I thought “THIS IS THE GREATEST GAME…OF ALL TIME. WITHOUT QUESTION”:lol:
This immediately became my game of choice nearly every weekend at the mall. Saturdays were PACKED…you actually had to stand in line to play, and it was messed up for a short guy like me, since people also crowded around the machine to watch…
*why the hell do tall and/or fat people ALWAYS end up in the damn front?!:mad: dammit.

It got better though, as my arcade eventually put SF2 on a big screen setup when Champion Edition came out. Soon, that was our arcade’s main thing:
**-1 big screen Champion Edition.

• 1 big screen regular SF2
  • 1 big screen Mortal Kombat!
  • a regular size SF2 in the back of the arcade.
  • and ANOTHER regular sized SF2 at the front
  • there were some SNKs…1 World Heroes, and 1 Fatal Fury, but nobody gave a shit**:lol: (Even when people didn’t feel like waiting in the SF2/MK line…the SNK games STILL got no play…most people would go over to a pinball machine or an action/shooter game to pass the time:p )

More old skool lore (Long)

The next day the young man returned but the old man was nowhere to be found. He turned to leave but just as he reached the door heard the old man’s voice:

“So… back for more, eh?” he rasped?

“Well, I… well yes.”

“Fine, fine. Set me up with a drink, boy, and we’ll continue.”

The old man lit a cigarette and stared into his glass for a moment, sipped, took a deep breath.

“Now where was I… oh right… twenty kids crowded round a video game?”

And they were all crowded around a kid named Pele (prounounced like the soccer player), playing on the second stick. A few kids challenged on the first side and he quickly dispatched them. Finally, everyone backed off to let him play the computer. He got to Balrog and was trounced, but no one had ever seen “the final four” before and he instantly became a legend. Watching him play I learned in a few minutes what would have taken me months to learn on my own. He knew exactly what to do against each opponent.

I’ve been hooked on games before, but I’d never been re-hooked. Still, I got my first glimpse of what was possible with this game, or what we old-skoolers like to call “the next level”.

I’d never seen him before but he made me step up my game. And from that day forward at 2 Star Liquors playing the computer was just half the game and competing against LIVE players was the other half. Even though no one had beaten the game at that point, no one gave a flying fuck about the high score table. It didn’t mean shit because if some schmuck could challenge you and toss you off the machine your stupid initials on a high score table didn’t mean jack. And people were playing so much no one ever saw the high score table anyway.

In short, it was the start of a whole new era of videogames.

Two Star Liqours on Fruitvale Ave wasn’t the exception, but the RULE. Street Fighter 2 had taken hold in a massive way. From then on, if you went into any convenience store, arcade, 7-11, or shithole bar there was a crowd gathered around the game. If you wanted a game “against the computer” you had to EARN IT by beating the crap out of every player that stepped up. No longer did you stare helplessly at another guy playing the game hoping he’d mess up so you could play next. Now, all you had to do was beat him.

But as revolutionary as Street Fighter 2 seemed to be with what little we knew, it was merely the beginning.

The old man sat back from his drink, eyes watered over from the alcohol. “Well that’s enough for this night, boy.”

And the young man said, “There’s… more?”

“More!?” the old man said, in angry contempt. “That’s just the start, the beginning! Of course there’s more… much more. But I’m an old, old man now. Long in the tooth, boy, and I need my rest. You come back tommorow and I’ll tell you another tale.”

“But! Tell me just a bit more.”

The old man sighed. “Okay, just a bit more then.”

So with a swig of his drink he continued.

Everyday after school we had one thing on our mind. Two classes before school let out my mind was already thinking about it and my hands were doing fireball or uppercut motions on my notebook and sweating with the anticipation. The moment the bell rang I was down to Phil’s car in a flash and as often as not he’d be there before me if his last class was in a building closer to the parking lot.

We quickly established ourselves as good players at the local places. 7-11 was no longer the hangout of choice for us because it cost 50 cents to play, whereas 2 Star only cost a quarter. All the history, literally, the 3 years I spent at 7-11, were cast aside. And 2 Star fostered the game, not like those jerk 7-11 counter jockies who would sometimes unplug the games because there were too many kids crammed in there.

The Fireball - Uppercut trap was beatable but only by good players. It required fakes, mind games and consistent execution if you wanted to use it and win. Even against the computer you at least needed good positioning. And for those of us that made that pattern our business we got respect. Other players feared playing us. Never before was “fear” part of videogames. As I watched a good player beat opponent after opponent, watched my quarter slowly march to the right, the adrenaline started to rise and my pulse would start to quicken. I can beat this guy. I can BEAT this guy.

One day I walked in and there was a murmur in the crowd about this thing called a “triple-uppercut”. Of course, the uppercut only hit twice so I tried to imagine how it could possibly hit three times. Maybe if you were under the player? It didn’t make sense. But true to form Pele stepped up against me and after getting me dazed he positioned himself right next to me.

Now when you dazed a guy the thing we always did was throw him. It did good damage and well… we couldn’t think of anything better to do. But Pele did jab into uppercut. He basically mashed the jab button and whirled the stick in a tight circle. Three hits. And I got dazed again! It was the first time I’d ever seen a double-dizzy, but much more importantly, it was the first combo.

I was re-hooked again.

On and on we played. Phil was two years older than me and graduated that year. Eventually we lost touch and he stopped playing anyway, to concentrate on his studies at Cal Poly.

At some point the potential of Guile was realized but I still clung to Ryu. No one ever thought Guile could compete. Sure, he had that insane reach with his normal moves but you had to charge his specials, so he was insanely predictable. But as the strategy evolved and progressed, those three seconds to charge his moves basically disapeared. And his sonic boom had no delay. His flash kick had insane reach as well. Put it all together and Guile was a corner-trapping God.

I was good, but I wasn’t that good. As much as I tried I was never as inventive or creative as many of my opponents. I was a “pattern” player. But that was enough to be the best player at the local liquor store.

By this time it was also known that if you got close to your opponent after a knockdown and did ducking short (which they were forced to block), you could throw them before they recovered from block delay. It was reversible, but extremely difficult to reverse. So players dubbed it a cheater’s tactic and it became known as “cheap”. Even the computer fell for it, and players with absolutely no skill could now beat the game. “Honorable” or “skilled” players never used this tactic. How many arguments, debates, shoving matches and outright fist-fights did I see over this one aspect of the game? I can’t even recall, but there were a lot.

I got back in touch with a friend named Tony. In the six or so months since I last spoke with him he had been playing and had all sorts of stories to tell about legendary players and massive arcades where the best of the best went. Tony had a car and had been all over - Oaktree, the Underground, Bayfair, and Regency just to name a few.

I played Tony a few games and he absolutely thrashed me with Ryu and Guile. He was a great trash talker too. When he played it looked like some intricate dance. He seemed to read my mind and know what I would do way before I did it. He could triple with ease, and landed fierce-forward-fireball combos on me one after another. Over eight months of street fighter experience and I was still being soundly trashed whereas before it had taken me anywhere from two days to a month to master any game before that.

Then he switched to Guile. At the time he was by no means an expert Guile player but being exposed to the far more advanced strategies of the arcades I didn’t have a prayer. Over and over he absolutely destroyed me. I had no answer to anything he threw at me. Finally he said, “Dude, if you ever want to succeed at this ware, you need to take that fool Ryu and dispose of him. He can’t compete. You have a plan, but Guile has PLANS, fool. You want to defeat Guile, you have to defeat all his PLANS.”

I told him he was the best player I’d ever seen and that he could dominate anyone in the place.

And he said, “Yeah, but there’s this Asian fool at the Underground that whoops my ass on a daily basis. That fool has ludicrous skills. He’s on the next level. I beat him a couple times at first, but then he factored my gameplan, divided by Pi, multiplied by the common denominator and filed me away in the database. He whoops me every time now.”

“Who’s that?”

“Thomas.”

jcasetnl,

Great story man! So when you met Thomas, how well could he play? What made him different? What kinda fighting style did he have? Did he rush, or wait for the opponent to make a mistake. I bet he waited…

ps- did you ever see Thomas get whipped by anyone?

bump, this is really a great read :smiley:

I remember all those early SF games were in grocery stores and gas stations and all that. All day people would be huddled around the machines playing them, trading rumors about “handcuffs, bracelet throwing, etc…” Damn I remember when CE came out, that was insane. Everyone freaking out over the new colors, backgrounds, moves, and being able to play the bosses. Man those were the days, I got so many fun memories of SF II and the like.

Best Thread EVER!

I know. This should definitely get a SRK Fourms Award.:frowning:

Man, i really wished i was old enough to vividly remember this stuff. I can remember huge arcade crowds, but it was always like that, so i thought that’s just the way it was, and always would be. :frowning: Jcasetnl, finish the story…PLEASE!!!

hahaha, this thread rules. I remember the first time i played SF2WW. I was 7 years old. My mom forced me to go shopping in some stupid town i hated. We got there and instead of being shopping cart caddie, i booked it to the mall to see what they had to offer. I had 2 bucks to kill, and then I saw my oais. ARCADE!!! It was like a tuesday at 11:30 or something, and there was NOBODY in the arcade. I didnt get to go into arcades very much in those days, never had money. But i knew what games i liked. I was in front of RAMPAGE in no time. One dollar down, i just walked around a bit. This place was pretty seedy, really dark lighting, brown carpet (which was sticky for reasons i cant explain), and then I saw SF2. i was just hypnotised. I saw blood sport like 2 days before and i remembered thinking how cool a game based on bloodsport would be (I WAS 7 OK !!!). I just launched my money into the machine. First charactor i picked was blanka. First match was against Dhalsim. I just got my ass handed to me. Last 50 cents, i chose guile. Never looked back. After my money raqn out i just stayed there and watched the demo, over and over and over…then some older kids showed up and began playing. There was like 6 of them and they were doing all the moves and just being plain badass. I just stood among them and watched. My mom had to come find me and she was mad i was hanging out in such a dump. I came home and tried to tell my friends about it and they called me a liar because they remembered how i was talking about a bloodsport game, and just thought i made the whole thing up. When they did see the game i just stomped there ass with GUile. rest is history. Theres my best SF2 memory, well, actually the best was when i was 12 and i beat 3 16 year olds in front of their girlfriends, but that another story…humahahahahaha…

yes, i am lame

That right there was some shit.

Brings back a lot of memories. I never played against anyone like Thomas or anything… I got my ass handed to me by much easier opponents.
But since the first time I played SF, I wanted to be a pro…
Someone who was above 99% of other players, to be able to compete with the best.
I didnt need to win, just compete.
I just wanted to be on that other level.

nice stories on this thread:)
I remember seeing SF2 in a local arcade when I was young. i wanted to play it because of the chun li so my mother gave me some money and told me that she would be right back.
I got my ass handed to me by some real good guys and they laughed at me cause I was a female.
I didn’t think anything of it.
So I decieded one saturday morning to go and play against the computer. I had my sister bring me and again I got my ass handed to me. I kept putting money in and kept playing.

When it came out for SNES my mother bought it for me cause she knew I liked it. I went through the little booklet, wondering how to do the moves. I played and played with chun li, ken and ryu until I finally got the hang of it. Then I put the game on the hardest level (I think it was 8 or something like that) and I played. My goal was not to lose a match and I didn’t.

Months after this my brother, sister and a couple of friends went to the mall. We passed by the arcade and there was SF2 HF. No one was there so I went to play. A couple of teens came up to play me and I beat them with chun li. I was surprised that I had beat them all. They left then returned with a kid younger than me and he choose chun li. He beat me the first round, I beat him the second and then the third round was close but he won. I had no hard feelings and he told me that he didn’t know of any female who played. I thought nothing of it. it was normal for me.

fighting games come and go and even though I don’t play street fighter as much as I play tekken now I am a street fighter fan at heart.:slight_smile:

no WAY!!! When i was young(er), I remember seeing Bloodsport and remember comparing it to SF. Of course this was after i’d played it, but it seems to have all the characters represented, iirc. This thread needs to be stickied.