In the Rose Garden

The Rose Garden

When interviewed about how he got better in a place where there was little to no scene and/or competition, WolfKrone replied that he took a lot of time in training mode and playing online. He more specifically said that when he was in training mode he would spend a great deal of time figuring out how to stop characters from using their special attacks. Using his statement as a basis for this thread, each week I will look at a character and explain how to stop their special moves. This is by no means a match-up thread, but rather a thread about beating or getting around specific moves to make the match-up easier. After I post a write-up please post if you would like to discuss the information, new information, any ideas you may have that may not have been listed, or questions.

Week 5X: Been away, I actually opened up my game notebook and found the write-up. Must have forgotten to put it up, but this week I’ll cover the boss himself, The Mighty Bison!

C. Viper

Spoiler

[LIST]
[*]Burn Kicks [QCB + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Against every version, forward jump, and neutral jump and use a slightly early j.HK. This should knock down every version right in front of you. If they are too close or pressuring you on wake up with it, you might want to go for a Cross Counter instead. Be advised that sometimes Cross Counter will be activated upon hit but there are some angles in which Viper will not actually take damage.[/INDENT]

[LIST]
[*]Thunder Knuckle [QCB + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]LP & MP Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]Try to space yourself and punish with a s.HP or s.HK. The important thing is to find the very limit of the attacks range and dance around in that area.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]HP Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]This has some invincibility and can be used as a reversal, so getting past this one is a little more difficult than the other two. What you can do though is set up a situation where you hit C.Viper with an EX MGB followed up by a duck > upper. As soon as you can after the duck upper, do two LK ducks and then c.HK. Both moves will whiff, but you will recover faster than viper does which means you can punish her when she falls on the other side of Dudley. This timing is kind of tight and requires some practice, and also assumes the opponent techs up within the 4 active frame window of Dudley’s c.HK. Anything more and you can get hit during your recovery. Note Tech window is a total of 5 frames.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]EX Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]You can’t punish it but it is -5 on block, which means you can stick out a s.HP or c.MP and pretty much beat anything she might stick out on counter-hit.[/INDENT]

[LIST]
[*]Seismo Hammer [DP + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]This moves is a little difficult to get passed just because C.Viper is able to feint it; Your best bet is to Focus Attack and dash through them or j.HK. If you can pick up on where the Viper player is actually targeting their Seismo Hammers you might be able to inch forward some. If they are targeting where you are rather than where you could be, then you can get away with a forward dash or simply walking forward. Just beware of the EX version. Though it can be focused, walking or dashing forward could prove fatal.[/INDENT]

[LIST]
[*]OS & Set-ups
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]c.LK > s.MK + s.HP [plinked][/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]If it touches the opponent, the Target Combo [c.LK > s.MK] will come out. If the c.LK whiffs, the s.HP will come out. It needs to be done meaty, so that it will beat random button presses, EX Seismo Hammer, Burn Kicks, and backdash. Just have to watch out for HP Thunder Knuckle, but it covers a lot of things and shuts down a lot of C.Viper’s options.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]EX MGB, Duck > Upper, LK Duck x2, c.LP, c.HK[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]This beats reversal EX Seismo Hammer and HP Thunder Knuckle. It also assumes your opponent techs up ASAP, but can be adapted for throws on untechable knockdowns. HP Thunder Kunckle will go through the c.HK but you will not be hurt either. You are able to punish viper when she lands on the other side of you with a s.HK etc… be forewarned though, they are able to burn kick out of this set-up. Also, this is very tight so practice is necessary.[/INDENT]

Guy

Spoiler

[LIST]
[]Hozanto [QCB + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]LP Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]At mid range s.HP will generally beat LP Hozanto; however, at mid range you usually don’t see this attack, so c.MP is usually the way to go. Be wary of challenging it at short range, because you could be put at a positional disadvantage if you trade.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]MP Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]At mid range s.HP is going and at short range you can do s.HK into a combo of your choice.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]HP Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]At mid~long range it’s best to do j.HK into a combo, because it’s slightly deceptive in terms of timing. j.HK also works on the previous versions; however you could also just block and do a a reversal EX Duck > Upper, as it is -6 on block.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]EX Version[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]Too fast and hit box is too good. Just block and then punish with EX Duck > Upper. Also -6 on block.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Bunshin Senpukyaku [QCB + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Block and Punish. Every version is incredibly unsafe on block, even the EX version. All you have to worry about is getting hit by the EX version on wake-up. Hit box on the EX version is actually pretty good on either side of him.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[]Bunshin Flip [QCF + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]I’m not going to tell how to punish each follow-up because the idea is to beat all the move possibilities from bunshin flip. Here, Dudley has three options. LK duck, back dash, or c.HK. LK duck can’t be grabbed, gets passed the elbow, and should leave you enough time to maybe get a s.HK in. Backdash has invincibility so you should not get elbowed or grabbed. c.HK also gets under the grab and the elbow but the timing is a little weird to hit Guy. It’s something that requires some practice, cause sometimes you can miss completely. Just try to mix-up between these so your opponent doesn’t predict you and make an acceptable counter.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Run [QCF + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]When you see this move, hold down back and if you see Guy go into the air for the over head go to back. If you block correctly you will be able to punish him because both moves are at least -6 on block [shadow kick (the slide) is -9 or -10]. If you’re feeling particularly confident you can try to mix-up and do a j.HK to catch the recovery of either move. This works when the mvoes are used at a distance because the Neck Flip [overhead kick] will miss you. Up close, it will hit. Watch out for Run > Stop shenaningans, and if you see him stop right in front of you, s.HP or s.HK to keep him honest.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Kaiten Izuna Otoshi [QCF + P] during a normal jump
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Don’t get predictable with your jumps.[/INDENT]

Makoto

Spoiler

[LIST]
[*]Fukikage [DP + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Just don’t jump, and if you do do it so you don’t cross over makoto. She can combo from this and she knocks you do which means she can start up her offense. Well spaced jf.LK’s will can hit her at a point where Fukikage will not reach you, but only for the LP version in which she stays in place. It’s good for the occasional use, but I would not recommend repeated use in a set. I also encourage a good amount of training mode time spent toward figuring out the intricacies of using this tactic. Just know that the hitbox on this move is very good.[/INDENT]

[LIST]
[]Hayate [QCF + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Almost every normal version of this move you should be able to punish with s.hk after blocking. If they charge the move to it’s fullest they are at -4,-3,and -2 respectively [LP, MP, HP] so you should be at advantage, but every so often you might want to backdash or jump to avoid EX Karakusa traps. If the moves is done without any charging though, you should be able to block punish. For EX Hayate it says the moves is at -4 on block but Makoto get’s pushed back very far away. Stand blocking this move reduces pushback just enough to catch her with s.MP, but this is still very tight, so some training time should be devoted to it. When trying to punish one of the non EX versions of the attack, at first glance you might find it difficult to punish, but the key is to hit her while she’s still yelling. In other words, punch her in the mouth. Final note, don’t focus, this moves breaks focus now.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Oroshi [QCB + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Crouch tech, block, or jump. Makoto has a good mix-up game and that is where you’ll usually see this move. Crouch teching will beat everything except the EX version, but the EX version is throwable. My best advice here is to see the moves, and block it. Afterward she is at least -4, but spacing can be a variable here. I believe the best move to catch her after this is s.MP. The EX version is the fastest at 18 Frames of start-up and then from there everything else is at least 22 Frames and up on start-up. Also, this moves breaks armor, as it did in Super.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[]Karakusa [HCB + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Stay away from Makoto. Every version of this moves has better range than her normal throw. EX version has 5 frames of start-up, 2 active frames, and 6 frames of invincibility… in other words, everything but the recovery is strike invincible. Shit, Dudley needs one of these. It can also be Kara’ed :confused: … On wake up if you suspect this move you can do a meaty attack, and cancel it into LK short swing blow which is throw invincible for quite some time on start-up, and every version of Karakusa will whiff. This move, including the EX version can be thrown.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Tsurugi [QCB + K in air]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]I would approach this move like you would any other air attack, it’s got a lot of start-up I feel like s.MK [or if you feel particularly ballsy c.HP] should do the trick. The move is also focusable, but you can be EX karakusa’ed as soon as she hit’s the ground. With this move I think the moto is “Keep it simple stupid” only because it causes a knockdown, and that’s how makoto’s game get’s started up. The recovery for this move says 11f after landing, but it must have lots of block stun, because you can’t seem to punish it after blocking. c.HK does not work against this move, you will lose hard.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Set-Ups and Option Selects
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]EX MGB, Duck > Upper, HK duck x 2, c.LK xx LK Short Swing Blow[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]After a knockdown, you can continue pressure with the c.LK xx LK Short Swing Blow. It stops opponents who want to abuse EX Karakusa on wake-up. The c.LK gets cancelled into LK Short Swing Blow which gives you throw invincible frames to get past the throws, normal or command grabs. Just be advised that Oroshi will blow this up. Timing for the HK Ducks is kind of difficult so practice in training mode before trying it out in a real match.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]B.Throw, MK Duck, HK Duck, s.HK xx LK Short Swing Blow[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]This is basically another form of the Set-up above, except you’re using s.HK. Technically, if you wanted you could also use c.LK if you’re more comfortable. Same rules apply here. Beats Throws, get’s blown up by Oroshi.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]F.Throw, Forward Dash, LK Duck x 2, Throw[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]Beats everything Makoto can do except Ultra. EX Oroshi does not have throw invincible frames, and neither does EX Karakusa. Pretty awesome, because if she techs it puts you at a good spot to make or keep some distance between her, so she can’t try her close range mix-up. I would suggest backdashing after this, to get around Kara’ed karakusa and for f.HK.[/INDENT]

Vega [Claw]

Spoiler

[LIST]
[]Rolling Crystal Flash [B Charge, F + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]This move is safe on block, and realistically you’re probably only going to see this move during a combo, but if you see it outside that, from a distance it is very easily punished with a s.HP or for more damage s.HK xx [Insert Special Move Here]. The move has fairly longer start-up on the MP and HP versions so if you can set a good distance [usually Vega does that on his own with the claw] then you should have enough time to hit or trade [heavily in your favor] during the move.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Scarlet Terror [DB Charge, F + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]This move is horridly negative on block, and has no invincibility frames as far as I’ve tested, not even on it’s EX version. It will whiff if you are crouching, allowing you more than enough time to do a c.HK and the follow-up, however you can also block it and wait till Vega lands for a full punishment combo. Honestly, don’t expect to see this outside of a combo either.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[]Sky High Claw [D Charge, U + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]This move you will generally only see the HP version because the LP version and MP version actually hit higher than a standing character’s vulnerable hitbox. HP will hit standing but not crouching, EX will hit hit crouching. Go into training mode and first make sure you are able to react to the move and block on both sides, depending on which side Vega comes from. If you can block it then you can either do f.HP [doesn’t always work] EX Duck, c.LP… [Very very difficult to time], or just do a reversal duck straight for guaranteed damaged. the Ex Version must be punished on block with EX Duck > Straight or Upper. During the normal version if you can get the s.HP out once Vega touches the wall you will beat the move clean. If you do it any later you will trade [slightly in your favor]. This also works in EX, but more times than not you’ll trade. So you don’t get mixed up, with this move Vega clings to the wall lower than the Flying Barcelona Attack.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Flying Barcelona Attack
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]I know this move alone is the only reason I’m doing Vega, or had the request in the first place, and much to the dismay of many, I’m here to let you know that no single move will beat this move in every situation; Vega is able to change his timing and distance to counter any one tactic, so with that said after a lot of testing and talking to better players than myself I’ve devised a strategy to beat this move with a great amount of success. You have to first let go of the notion that every Vega [or any Vega really] can perfectly throw out of this move, they can’t and you can make it very difficult for them.by moving while they are doing the attack. The first part of this strategy requires that you go into training mode and time it so that by the time Vega has hit the wall you need to take a quick step forward then hold back until you stop moving because of Vega’s proximity guard, then press s.MK to hit him. If you can get a feel of that timing, you should be good to do it in a real match, rather than stand like a dear in headlights. By moving forward and back, you make Vega mess with his distance to try and grab or hit you. This tactic alone is beatable if the Vega adjusts, so you have to mix it up. The second tactic requires you to wait till Vega clings to the wall; once he does, you need to jump backward, and as he get’s close to you, do a j.HP while in the air. If you do it to early, the move will run out of active frames and he may hit or grab you. Go into training mode and get a feeling for how close he has to be, just so you know. Also, I’m using j.HP instead of j.HK because j.HP is faster on start-up by almost half [11f vs. 6f] Mixing it up with the above two tactics together should frustrate the Vega and make it much more difficult for you to get hit or grabbed. On a final note if the opponent ops out of hitting you and just lands on the other side of the screen, EX Machinegun Blow should catch him, as Vega has a mandatory hop-step back he has to take upon the landing after this move, and it is very frame heavy and slow.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Remove Claw [DP + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Rejoice. If he does EX version, Rejoice twice.[/INDENT]

Bison [Dictator]

[LIST]
[*]Psycho Crusher [B Charge, F + P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Close-Range[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]I’m not listing these by strength, but rather distance from your characer because it’s easier to break down in accordance with punishes. If theya re clsoe to you, they are probably going to go through you; Unless it is EX Psycho Crusher do not Ultra [Referring to Ultra 1]. If they do the HP version, you will not catch themw ith rolling thunder. If they land next to you feel free to pop them with s.HK xx… timing for punish [If you are close enough[ is a little weird, so I suggest going into training mode and testing it. If they land far away… oh well.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]Mid-Range[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]They’ll probably land right in front of you, or most likely right behind you. Pop them with s.HK xx… to punish.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]Far-Range[/INDENT]
[INDENT=3]Bison’s have a dumb trick of doing a safe far psycho crusher then an EX psycho crusher to try and hit your would be punish. To stop that and psycho crushers from far away [About full screen] pop them with s.HP before they even reach you with the first Psycho Crusher. From far away, and his body in glowing purple, reactions should not fail you.[/INDENT]

[LIST]
[]Double Knee Press [B Charge, F + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]You can tell if you are able to punish this move during the match, if Bison’s waist goes into your character. Generally, when he does double knee press and it is safe, only his legs up to his knees go through you. It’s something that is initially a little difficult to recognize, but with time and if you’re actively looking for it, you’ll just start to know when they are punishable or not. If it is safe, then it all comes down to patience, some reading, and a little luck. Remember that Bison can only chip you if he keeps doing this. Try to find any patterns you can in your opponents game and try to take advantage of them. For example if you know that the Bison player likes to do a second double knee press after the first, you can do a neutral jump heavy kick to punish. Personal experience has taught me that if you can be patient, just block a little bit, and take a moment to analyze what your opponent does, then you can start to develop a strategy against the player. Things like waiting a moment after they do a scissor kick, then pressing s.HK you usually catch them pressing s.HK or s.MK. You’ll find here that the little things will go a long way, for example if you block scissor kick standing up in the corner, Bison does not get pushed back as far and it makes a c.mp actually connect afterward, and you can retaliate with c.mp xx lp.MGB to get a little space on hit or block. Just be patient and find your openings.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Head Press [D Charge, U + K]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]When you see bison do this for every version do a LK Duck to evade the punish accordingly [spacing may differ so testing different punishes for different ranges in training mode is advised], your you could just block it.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[]Head Press > Somersault Skull Diver [Head Press > P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]If you block the headstomp you have two good options. The first is to focus the follow-up. if he runs away you can dash out of it, and if he hits you, you focus it and get a lvl. 3 focus punish. The second option is to quickly time a cross counter, which is less effective if they go for left right shenanigans.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[
]Devil’s Reverse [D Charge, U + P > P]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]Like I said, against head press, do a duck and if you see Bison flip without touching you do a focus or a cross counter. In thsi situation I’d probably reccommend cross counter, because it is possible for Bison to land behind you if you focus. Cross counter is guaranteed if he touches you. If he runs away, just as he is about to touch the ground, EX Machinegun Blow. Also if the opponent does EX Devil’s reverse it is 2 hits so focus will lose. From my experience this is rare though.[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Bison Warp [DP or RDP + PPP or KKK]
[/LIST]
[INDENT=2]This thing is gay… like really gay. I know there are some moves that as a Dudley player you’re just going to have to deal with, and this is one of them.[/INDENT]

Can I post stuff here too.
What u want.
Ill make videos
regarding every normal/move a character has
mainly ones that can give dud problems.
if u want
idk

If you want to do a video of each weeks stuff, I’d be down.

You want me put my own info in according to week’s character or just do wut u say

Oh, I like this. I can help, this helps a lot in trying to learn the matchup ad what Dudley can or cannot do. Likewise for the opposing character / player, too.

I like this idea too. Do we need videos unless there are things to add? We can just read this and spend 1hr max in the lab and have everything down.

Videos would be nice for comprehension I suppose, although not 100% necessary.

Give the people what they want.

K I’ll just stick to one project then since I havnt played Latif/Wolfkrone level Vipers yet anyway.(lol at no other American Viper being on that level)

c.HK for some reason makes her HP Thunder knuckle whiff.
LK Short swing blow beats everything in the corner. (if you juggle her with super meter its a free stun)

LK empty duck all burn kicks.
duck upper beats burn kick clean

Dont mess with the Seismo.
f.MK MK HP + EX duck straight OS midscreen
f.MK c.MK c.HP OS in the corner.

Air to Air everything with HK or HP

Not gonna go into detail yet. Everything should be self explanatory

Can character requests be made here too?

Sure

In that case I request a post on Guy. Good Guy players give me hell trying to keep up with their speed and anti air them… especially that shoulder drop :frowning:

What exactly are you option selecting against for this setup? Is it the burn kicks or super jump? I just want to understand this better.

Updated this week for Guy. Still taking requests, next week I’ve got a little bit of a surprise in store for as far as content goes, for whatever character someone gives me.

Thanks East for doing this!
Since she has changed a lot, I’d love to get some hints on AE Makoto.

rush her down
c.MP and s.HK rape her
buffering is key
her c.MP is free
jump a lot
anti air with jet upper

your matches should be lasting less than 50 seconds

i’d like to suggest vega for the next write up.

ultra 1

Same, I get bodied all the time by this old man at the arcade who spams Izuna Drops. I’ve tried fucking everything over about 15+ matches to stop it and the only thing that works is jump-back HP which is a 50/50. All my normals, and some specials minus say Duck as an escape, get grabbed. Difficult and ineffective to practice this in the lab.

Definitly Vega next, that claw gets on my damn nerves