I'm a sellout

I’ve been (attempting) playing Necro in serious, no frills Mazi-Mode to get ready for the video (yes, it’s coming eventually, I promise), and I’ve noticed something. Something very unsettling, that I would like to deny but I simply cannot any longer. This may shake the few Necro supporters who believe in me, but it simply must be said.

SLAM DANCE IS WAY TOO GOOD.

I like it better than ElSnake. I mean it. Slam Dance is my new favourite Necro super, and I use it for 9/10 matchups. Oh but Ironhead, why would you do such a thing? You’ve said forever that ElSnake is the king! But no. It’s simply no longer true for me. And I’ll explain why.

1. Necro has a terrible anti-pressure game. Fools just run up on you and expect no retaliation, mostly because you’ve got none. When they get in your face, you kinda have to parry and hope. Oh, but not with SlamDance! People back the hell off of you as SOON as they realize what’s going on. Slam Dance is like Shinsho, people FEAR it. Now, I say very similar things about ElSnake, and it’s also true. The difference is, Slam Dance carries the threat without actually having to land it. Just being able to is enough. You have to land at least one ElSnake before “OH SHIT” mode kicks in for your opponent.

2. It’s free damage. When you corner your opponent, Slam Dance. Just do it. If they try to hit you, they get SlammeD. If they jump, back+fierce and Fierce Elbow them and get meter and control back. No escape, sailor. Hell, sometimes I don’t ever throw the Slam Dance out at all, I just keep knocking them down because they jump THINKING I’m going to SlamDance them. Again, it’s the THREAT.

3. Free Drill kicks ALL DAY. I never noticed before I started using Slam Dance how GREAT drill kicking is. You can use that ish all day. And when you have a SlamDance ready, you can drill the opponent with impunity. What are they going to do when you land, attempt a throw and get Slammed? I don’t think so. You own their shit.

I could go on about it all day, but that’s the gist of it. Higher-level 3s is (for me) about control and safety. Slam Dance lets me get away with more than ElSnake ever did, and I never worry about how much meter I have or if I’m wasting it. If I have a SlamDance, I use it. I build up another one before I even realize it (hello drill kicks!). People fear getting SlammeD, so it forces the opponent into Panic Mode. That’s what control is all about, not You hitting Them, but Them trying not to Get Hit.

I still use ElSnake against shotos, characters with low stun (Akuma/Remy), and opponents (non-char specific) that I know I can low short/back+mk/jesus-elbow/throw mixup on. Everyone else gets the SLAM DANCE. It’s that damn good.

N

I told you.

haha this is kind of ironic because (no offense) i used slam dance before i read your thread on elsnake and my winning streak has gone down a little. but im still just a bathroom scrub. but i think ill conform back to sa2. people fear u more if u have slam dance than gigas! people know that their either gonna get gigas from a jump in or wake up so they watch out for that. but the randomness of a qcfqcf throw is so unpredictable. so evil. ~_o and when there half way across the screen laughing because you because u cant land your slam dance, thats when u whip out the ex spin punches
all power to the slam dance :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

What’s the range on slam dance? Zero?
ES to show off! :tup:

If they stick something out, like a shoto low forward or roundhouse, you can catch them from muuuuuch farther away. But yeah, the range is Slam Dance’s one big limitation.

My problem with Electric Snake is that it’s pretty useless outside of a handful of combos. I never seem to land it unless I connect with a random standing strong/back + strong, and OK, it adds loads of stun and some damage to that random poke. My opponents usually glance at their stun bar in alarm, turtle for a little bit until they’re under the half way mark again, and come back for some more. If I’m lucky, I might manage to stun them, which usually leads to the win. But frankly, I find it really hard to keep the pressure up and the stun high when my opponents feel they can just walk up and smash through my slow start up, generally low priority Necro moves. More often than not, I’m the one being pressured, and I just can’t play like that. Electric Snake does nothing to keep them off of me; in fact, against an ES Necro, I think the safest place to BE is standing right on top of him. It makes them WANT to lay the pressure on you thick, because they know that you’re only a threat if they give you the chance to get out, and play the game at your range.

Slam Dance, though, forces them to be wary. It recovers fast, he’s got a ton of set ups into it, and he builds it up easily enough that I always seem to have one ready. They know that anything they try from close in might be met with Slam Dance lovin’, which is an invitation to disaster (considering how much damage that thing does). So they back off a little bit, give you a little room to breathe…and that’s just what Necro (well, my Necro, at least) needs.

you guys are wrong about the range it’s pretty far. But It’s still not as solid has electric snake in my opinion. And sure it’s fast but it’s not free damage there are things people can do to see it. I am pretty sure you can dp it on reaction with ken and that’s two free dp’s for ken which is a big chunk of damage. And drill kicks are and will always be great even with out the slamdance. people just need to be more confident with them.

And if you have trouble with pressure just be safe. Block wait a bit look for the mistakes. You just have to be good at punishing mistakes with necro. And then when you knock them down for the most part it’s good game. Necros got mixups just as good as most other characters.

So sure SA 2 is fun. But Sa 3 is solid.

For the most part using Slam Dance is just plain stupid. Think about it. If you consider both Necros strength (best stun) and weakness (low stamina) then it becomes clear that Electric Snake is the way to go. To consistently perform well at high levels of competition, you have to take advantage of his ability to inflict huge amounts of stun with his normals. Remember that with ES Necro always has the ability to win a round with just two sequences. Now THATS intimidation.

Now exactly why would someone be afraid of Slam Dance? It does shitty damage and tick setups for it are useless. Thongboy says that SD is more intimidating because it “carries the threat without actually having to land it.” Nothing could be further from the truth. Say you get Ken at twenty percent stun and eighty percent life and youre using SD. Even if you land the super it wont kill him. Instead you waste an opportunity to end the round and negate any stun you caused prior to landing SD. Now if you connect with Necros bread ‘n’ butter ES combo, you stun Ken and earn a chance to deal free damage and kill him. Now its not easy to create the opening for the combo. But landing SD can be just as hard-if not harder. I dont know about you guys, but I would rather work to END the round than to hit a super that-while damaging-allows an opponent to come back and win (which is a likely scenario given Necros really low stamina).

Bottom Line: ES is better because it rewards the work you do during a match and gives you one free sequence to deal more damage. The only character I would consider facing with SD is Makoto since it helps counter her command grab (remember Makoto can kill Necro with one Abare Tosanami).

Cheers.

Standing Strong XX ES is toooo good. MutantXP (WAZZUP?!!?!?) what you say about makoto is true but I still prefer Shippu as my super against her.

I disagree. For characters with abnormally high stun bars and stamina (Dudley, Alex, Hugo, Q) or that have MUCH better priority than you do (Makoto, Oro, Chun Li) or that will surely rush your shit down and stay there (Alex, Makoto again), Slam Dance is godsend. ElSnake is pretty pointless from a zero bar against the first group at some points in the match, and you’re nowhere near guaranteed to land it on the second two. You can’t afford to make a mistake against them, and there’s nothing between them and you at all.

As previously stated, I still use ElSnake against shotos and people that I know I can land it on. I’m just slowly phasing it out of my gameplay. It’s a playstyle choice, and I’ve found that I play markedly better with the buffness of SlamDance backing me. I personally tend to sit on meter, and I feel better with ‘safe’ supers. You can’t throw out ElSnake unless you’re sure to land it. EVERY time I get a SlamDance, I know I’m going to hurt the opponent. Every time, without fail. It’s not for everyone, but for me it’s The Truth. I have seen the light.

N

Thongboy: Go to FF this saturday and use Slam Dance. Lets see how well you do. Ill be sure to tape your matches so we can show the world how great you are with Necro. Nuff said.

Cheers.

All over it.

N - You a Man U fan?

saw u at FF tb lol i was the lil blonde kid playing cfj ha! all the third strike machines were on tourney and i missed the sign ups! im so mad. i wanted a necro vs necro sa2 battle :sad:

slam dance is not good on ken/ryu -___-

i did a meaty slamdance on a ryu …

during the super freeze , ryu was in the shoryuken start up posture ( the crouching ) …

SHO RYU KEN !! … ouch …

and that dude is Tin …

N - Did I stutter?

What’re some setups u use for SA2?

Mostly on wakeup, after drill kicks/hook punches, or through things I know it beats (Q’s dash punch, Urien tackles/unblockables). The classic is knockdown in corner, wait, SlamDance. If they try to do anything on wakeup, they get SlammeD. If they jump up, back+fierce them and start over. Yay free money.

N

thongboy , i think you’re right … i just fuck around with my friend with that super playing 3s in ps2 in his house .

slam dance has an average meter , unlike hyperbomb …

yeah basicly , all i do was playing meaty , minor-turtle and footsies , and cornering … toying around …

and be more EXTRA careful on DP …

So, what you’re saying is that if I pick Slam Dance, people will give me money? I…LIKE IT! :tup:

Btw, ken owns necro so hard :sad:

I’d say Ken’s the least of my worries, out of the magic 4. Makoto -> Chun -> Yun -> Ken.

N

Thongboy u’ve done it again u genius!