[details=Spoiler][/details]

[spoiler=“Thor”][/details]

Wolverine

[details=Spoiler][/details]

[spoiler=“X-23”][/details]

Reserving still

ZERO NEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE…

That is all.

By basic mode, I assume you mean Investigation Wright. Trial Wright with at least one good piece of evidence (good match-up wise) is not that bad.

If this will help here’s my opinion on what to do against some characters.

‘Wesker’

Spoiler

Wesker

Do’s
+Stay defensive it’s easier said than done since you’re normals get outclassed by his.
+If getting evidence becomes too difficult get what you can (even if it’s bad evidence) and go into courtroom mode “Order in the court!” will help greatly since it erases bad evidence and the invulnerable frames.
+If he’s using his samurai edge most of the time the player might teleport above you so block the other direction.
+If he’s harassing you with samurai edges (and not teleporting) throwing out Paperwork (Low or High Light version) can help shield you against the bullets unless if he’s in X-factor mode.
+I think the cellphone will help greatly against him to limit his teleport movements a little since the cellphone’s orbs do a good job of tracking, though it’s risky since if you get hit they disappear.
+If you get comboed into the corner and it ends with his samurai edge (lower shot), this will be a risky gambit but 50/50 the player will go for an air reset so attempt a throw escape.

Don’ts
-Resist the urge to attack him since as said above his normals out classes Wright’s normals (in range and priority)
-It’s okay to use you’re projectile evidence for help but one wrong move and the player can teleport behind you or above.

‘Vergil’

Spoiler

Vergil

Do’s
+Stay defensive it’s easier said than done since you’re normals get outclassed by his.
+If getting evidence becomes too difficult get what you can (even if it’s bad evidence) and go into courtroom mode “Order in the court!” will help greatly since it erases bad evidence and the invulnerable frames.
+Vergil’s teleports are fast and doesn’t give much room to react so if you believe the player will teleport jump block would be safe.
+If a vergil player insists on doing j.S after teleport advance guarding it will help, but the player might try to teleport again.
+If you see Vergil doing a running slash prepare to block the opposite direction easier said than done in some situations.
+If you can predict the teleports you get a small window of opportunity to punish.
+Try to get the cellphone evidence it’ll help limit his teleport movements but risky due to startup.

Don’ts
-Resist the urge to attack him since as said above his normals out classes Wright’s normals (in range and priority) and also most of his moves can be safe with teleports.
-Projectile evidences are very risky besides cellphone are risky in my opinion because of his teleport speed.

‘Ghostrider’

Spoiler

Ghostrider

Do’s
+Stay defensive it’s very difficult to get in on Ghostrider because of his range.
+Advance guard during the last frames of j.S if you’re being harassed by it, if successful it will push Ghostrider back to give some room.
+Highly recommend using the vase, knife, or cellphone projectile against him it will limit his movement.
+If possible stay inside Maya shield if successfully called out it will help block his j.S and c.H
+If you’re managed to close in on Ghostrider, you have a pretty good chance of beating out his normals.
+If the Ghostrider player has three bars the most risky gambit is predicting if the player will try to kara-throw into pennance stare which will definitely put Wright into near death status.

Don’ts
-Don’t advance guard until j.S is over because it will not push Ghostrider
-Don’t get impatient it will be frustrating find room from harassment pulling out Maya shield at the wrong time and range will damage Wright and waste time for collecting evidence.

[spoiler=‘Doctor Doom’]
Doctor Doom

Do’s
+More than often a Doom player will try to foot dive you, advancing the foot dives will help.
+Vase, knife, cellphone, and possibly paperwork will help ward foot dives well.
+Knife projectile will cut through photon shot all the way but not plasma beam.

Don’ts
-Don’t attack Doom unless if you’re certain you can punish him since his normals outclass Wrights.

I have a lot of experience against Ghost Rider, and I think overall while he’s really hard to deal with at first in the end Phoenix Wright can not only deal with him but is favored to accomplish what he needs to. Note that I believe in Phoenix Wright as the best character in the game and is probably favored against everyone so expect my perspectives to be optimistic.

I assume a point Wright strategy with assist B selected which I believe to be the best way to use Wright. I assume that your team is constructed in such a way that your second character is one you intend to hard tag to after getting three pieces of good evidence and switching to trial mode, and I assume that second character is someone who is going to be capable of landing a hit and then converting into a TAC to get you into Turnabout at which point you intend to switch Wright for the last character on your team and proceed to abuse the assist until you win (and you will if you get that far and are good since that assist is broken).

Ghost Rider

[details=Spoiler]So the first trick against Ghost Rider is figuring out how you intend to gather your evidence without getting killed. This should go without saying, but the single most important thing is to know how to block and to block a lot and block well. Ghost Rider’s mix-up isn’t even that good; without a good high or low assist, he should never be hitting you when you’re trying to block. If you sometimes block j.:s: low or get caught off guard by c.:h:, your blocking really needs work, and Ghost Rider isn’t realistically beatable if you can’t defend against that. In a neutral position, you should always be thinking about how you are going to block Ghost Rider’s next attack, and if you keep blocking everything, you’ll take chip slowly and not die.

Once you are in a position wherein Ghost Rider is pressuring you with his various long range normals, you have to think how you are going to make time to find evidence. j.:s: gets over Maya too easily to rely on her in this match-up, and few assists can safely be called against Ghost Rider (though a few can, more on that later). The only reasonable option is push-blocking, but luckily, it’s a pretty awesome option. Outside of the corner, any safe j.:s: from Ghost Rider can be pushblocked such that Ghost Rider won’t be able to use another j.:s: on your guard without giving you time to get a piece of evidence. He will likely be able to tag you with a grounded normal, but if you either call Maya or in my opinion better just block the grounded normal and pushblock it to force him to real full-screen, you have an absolutely guaranteed piece of evidence unless he has an assist call ready to tag Wright. Do remember that while finding evidence is important, there’s not a huge hurry since Ghost Rider can only kill you slowly if you have good defense, and it’s okay if you lose most of your life getting ready as long as you get there at all. You also need to be mindful of his options when grounded and think about spacing. Remember that he can special cancel his normal chain into the projectile, and that doesn’t quite reach full-screen. The projectile gives you really great position if you pushblock it, but if you assume it’s not coming and go for evidence, you can get hit by it taking some damage you don’t want to take and being denied your piece of evidence. You kinda just have to read the GR player to figure out when he’s likely to throw it, and from larger spacings, pushblocking his normals will put him too far to hit with the projectile. Remember you can also backdash before going for a piece of evidence to make that space!

If you get cornered, Ghost Rider’s pressure naturally gets a lot better, but his options to deal with an empty super jump out of the corner after pushblocking a j.:s: are very poor. If you are very close to being done (like you have all your evidence or only need one more piece), consider remaining in the corner and continuing the play footsies and pushblock cleverly to try to just finish up, but if you have a ways to go, it’s definitely worth your while to uncorner yourself.

Eventually Ghost Rider will get sick of never doing real damage to you and will try to be close enough to threaten to throw you. Again, the most important thing is having good defense; you should be teching throws pretty consistently especially air throws since in throw range Wright’s OS on his throw is way better than GR’s even though GR has monstrous throw range and PW doesn’t. Also note that in sneaking in close, GR is likely to leave himself open. Moving forward yourself and throwing him first is the best thing since that gets you two easy pieces of evidence (sometimes three but it seems rare and situational, I haven’t figured out the exact conditions). Your normals at close range are also honestly very competitive with his so you could just throw out some attacks and try to start a combo or something. If he has three meters, be safe and consider jumping a lot more heavily since Penance Stare is your death, but honestly, with how defensively Wright should be played GR should never land it. Speaking of throws, GR is likely to be apprehensive of being too close to you so if you move forward and then block stuff and posture for throws, you can sometimes bully yourself a little wiggle room out of the corner.

I dunno if this is the most popular way to lay it out, but this was as much detail as I could muster for the basic lesson of “block a lot and pushblock smartly, grab evidence in the openings that makes”. If you do a good job, you should be able to get all your evidence fairly consistently.

Step two is setting up your hard tag which means you have three pieces of good evidence and are in trial mode. The most important thing to remember is what should be your worst case scenario. GR needs to jump to play his game, but his j.:s: doesn’t convert well to a full combo (it can but the height has to be too particular to be practical against someone who fights back). You can usually hard tag in response to his jumping, eat a j.:s:, and then go from there. Granted, you have to be careful since a smart GR will consider just going for a snapback to pull Wright right back in (snap is easier to combo than anything else!), and in general, that puts your incoming character in a lousy situation. I’m saying just remember it since it’s not worth getting Wright killed to save your second character starting off an unconverted hit behind. A basic pushblock strategy can still be employed; if you push GR out, that’s likely enough time to back up and hard tag. If you are cornered, you have a kinda cheesy tactic to force GR to play respectfully enough to probably let you sneak a hard tag. Just super jump in the corner and throw out raw Objection! as you come down. If you time it carefully, it will be very hard for GR to punish since the hitbox is massive and lingering and risking getting hit is simply not a viable option for GR, but more importantly, if he postures to punish it correctly, it gives you a prime chance to pushblock him out as he does something like s.:s: which is going to give you eons to hard tag safely. You can also use your evidence to help you out. The flower vase is really good against GR since it controls his main jump arc; usually a single hit or even a trade lets you force him to block several more, and trades of other pieces of evidence can convert into flower vase barrages (most commonly comes up with the daggar). Speaking of which, the daggar is pretty good but if you are careless it can easily trade and that’s to GR’s favor unless you have some good follow up (mostly going to be the flower vase). The photo is a hard piece of evidence to safely pull against GR, but if you think he’s about to call an assist from a distance, it can easily tag the assist for good damage and will discourage him from doing things like that to lock you down so much in the future. The cell phone is really great if you have some extra time since the delayed attack easily sets up for a hard tag. The document and the watch are IMO really bad and mostly shouldn’t be used though I think there’s some room for creative use of them. You can also throw Paperwork (High) :h: to get out a lingering hitbox behind which you can safely tag. GR’s chain is long enough to snipe someone though it so you can’t just be careless, but if you use it as an anti-air (usually requires evidence pressure to find the time), the chance to hard tag just seems to arise. Of course, you can also just anticipate an attack and hard tag it. Lastly, if you land Objection, while comboing into a kill and then hard tagging out is preferred, you can hard tag safely right after hitting since the hitstun is just so massive.

If your anchor Wright gets pulled in to fight GR in Turnabout, you have some good options. GR likes to be jumping around, and of course Wright does too in Turnabout. The thing is that even if his j.:s: outranges your finger, your finger is faster and far more rewaring on hit. You can easily win that dance. If he starts blocking, you can just try to chip him out with evidence. Rapid flower vase and cell phone spam require GR to play carefully to get past which means lots of chip for you. Alternating the daggar and anything other than the document provides really great pressure as well (I prefer the photo!), and you really could do worse than rapid daggars (it’s what I go for if I have daggar/watch/document as my evidence set). Again, don’t use the document unless you have a really good reason and don’t use the photo twice in a row since you can only have one beam active at a time, and you are probably making a good projectile pressure in turnabout. The only real problem comes if you honestly have photo/document/watch in which case I’m sorry your configuration just sucks for fighting GR do your best alternating photo and watch literally every other configuration is a lot better than that one. GR also seriously can’t do anything without risking gettin hit by Ace Attorney so if you have three meters and can afford to go out of Turnabout (for instance, GR is their last character), go nuts on the chip game GR has basically lost. If he goes into X-Factor and starts turtling trying to run out your time, use evidence for cover as needed, get close, and just throw him and then OTG with c.:h: (or Ace Attorney as is viable).

Assists are very hard for Wright to use against GR since he’s so good at punishing your assist calls and you aren’t really offering any offense that could cover your assists (Maya can cover assists but GR is way too good at getting around her). A few are really helpful though, and there are doubtless more these are just the ones I’ve found.

Strider’s Vajra is great. Any time you have time to find one evidence, you can safely call Strider. If GR gets hit by Strider, there’s two evidence right there, and even if he blocks you get your one so that’s two total (since of course you grabbed one evidence while calling Strider!). This assist is just so good for Wright here and probably everywhere; it really bears consideration.

I don’t think Haggar is good for Wright overall, but you can use his assist here. Move forward and block while calling in Haggar. It will mess up j.:s: and get you time to grab evidence. Even if GR doesn’t throw out a move and blocks Haggar, you still get evidence. I can’t really communicate it with typing, but there’s a timing and spacing to move in to get Haggar to disrupt GR’s patterns best, and it’s not hard to find.

Gold Hsien-Ko is a hilarious gimmick to pair with Wright for a few reasons. A big one is that if GR blocks her you get two evidence but if he just lets her hit him you only get one though you could use the opportunity to hit with Wright and try to get more that way. Realistically GR can’t stop Wright from getting his evidence against Hsien-Ko, but then again, it’s going to be hard for the Wright team to proceed with the rest of the match burdened by a character like Hsien-Ko so pluses and minuses.

More importantly though, you need to be ready to deal with GR’s assist calls. A good beam assist will be the backbone of a good GR’s chip game, and honestly just jumping over part of it when you are going to have to block anyway is sometimes all you can do to fight back. You need to always be watching the assist readiness and know when it’s safe to go for evidence and when you’re about to get tagged by that beam. If these beams didn’t exist GR would be free for Wright though so don’t feel too bad about them.

Strider assist can be dodged by super jumping with the right timing (if you’re moving too fast, Strider assist whiffs) so if you were about to try escaping the corner anyway, you can kill two birds with one stone if you are dodging a Strider assist.

High and low assists tend to underrange GR so he has to move into the ranges at which you can threaten him with throws to call them; be ready to do that if they are in play. The big exception and a big problem for PW is ironically Phoenix Wright-y. This gives GR some really, really dirty unblockables, and as PW on the defense, you are the worst equipped to deal with it. So far all I can say is that you should be chicken blocking like it is going out of style, and there’s not a lot else to do. The good news is that if you get Wright out and ready against such a team, they have no real chance since Wright-y later in the match will come back to haunt them as a massive liability.

If GR is setting up for a meter intensive anchor (like Dark Phoenix), you basically just have to accept that he’s going to get it. It’s okay because strong characters backed by Wright assist can beat Dark Phoenix very realistically by just cleverly turtling in the corner and calling Wright as often as is needed to make any form of offense ineffective for her, to run out her X-Factor, and then to punish her constant life drain. So yeah, it’s okay that these things are coming, but just be aware that as Wright you can’t stop them since just playing your game against GR leaves you no room to accept setbacks to prevent these kind of things so don’t even waste the mental energy on trying to avoid Dark Phoenix or whatever.

As an assist, the trick with Wright against GR is not to pushblock quite so much since if GR lands near you after a j.:s: he just set himself up to be the victim of Wright assist. Otherwise you can pretty much just normal jump and assist call, and GR won’t be able to avoid that easily since even if he hits you with one of his faster anti-airs Wright will make the trade massively favorable to you (just don’t let him hit you with a really early s.:s: and launch you to safely get out of the way; time your assist calls early enough and/or bait the s.:s: to avoid that). GR will try to zone you out and stay too far for Wright assist to touch him, but being forced to block Wright assist even once well let you mix him up however you want so it’s not going to be hard for you to move in. If you’re using a keepaway character, just be sure to make good use of air projectiles and such to prevent GR from avoiding all problems with j.:s:. Once you realize that that’s GR’s only option to get around Wright assist combined with your ground projectile rain, it’s a lot easier to stop and all. If Wright assist scares them badly enough, GR players might try to snap in Wright; watch for that since GR’s snapback is ridiculous, but you shouldn’t be throwing out anything unsafe at all without Wright leading the way for you. GR really lacks to tools to force you to take risks, and in a conservative game, Wright assist is extremely unlikely to be unhinged.[/details]

Sorry if I basically just said block, pushblock, and go for single pieces of evidence a lot and didn’t say a whole lot about actually killing GR, but that’s kinda the nature of Wright. Unlike most characters who become progressively more rewarding as you build offense, Wright becomes progressively more rewarding as you build defense, and it’s a lot harder to sound interesting when talking about how to build a strong defense.

^Or you can get watch/photo/vase and fight him full screen(i.e. out of chain range) with a long range assist, forcing GR to come after you. Strong defense isn’t just blocking, push-blocking and running away. You’ll get caught eventually, especially with PW (garbage mobility).

The problem with that is the fact the chain range is stupid long. All Ghost Rider needs to do is jump forward mashing S enough times until you’re trapped in a corner.

Of course, this is merely theory fighting on my part.

What I do vs a Ghost rider is take the fight right to him. I send out Maya to trip him up or at least force him to block, be it her sliding attack or the Hyper combo. I grab one piece of evidence and switch to trial mode for more tools to use and fight him at his weakest: close range. Though this is assuming I only have Wright left. Otherwise, my other characters would fare better.

Yeah, optimal range would be in his face with Trial mode. I was referring to those moments of the fight where you want to force GR to move forward while still being in an effective position. A bad jump S can always lead to Wright getting the gap he needs to start close range pressure. Maya as a projectile though, I need to try that. Good idea.

Just running, calling Maya and searching for evidence isn’t very effective, imo. Especially when GR can just aim his chain over Maya and force you to the corner just from blocking.

Exactly. Though your assist make a huge difference in this matchup as well. Doom’s Missiles are probably the absolute best option. It’ll keep Ghost Rider still long enough to get in close and attempt a follow-up after a grab or an overhead attack.

But for those of you who don’t use Doom at all, like me, forcing GR to do a move, like blocking or jumping over Maya, gives Wright the time to get closer.

And just as View had said, running and spamming Maya shield might work against characters like Ryu, but not so much against GR or even Nemesis.

This would only be the case if the other player also isn’t using assists. Nick has no options to get in on a smart GR with decent assists.

You aren’t going to get time to call Doom’s missiles; GR will stuff Doom call so easily. PW has bad mobility so you aren’t really even going to be able to establish full screen unless you want to corner yourself even faster. Forcing him to come to you doesn’t even make sense seeing as he’ll go to half-screen and then just keep pressuring you until you die, and if you have three pieces of evidence and are in trial mode (since investigation can’t do anything at full screen), why would you take an opportunity at full screen to do anything other than hard tag out? I mean, I’m sure it’s possible to fight with Wright, but it’s going to be easier to do the actual fighting with someone else once Wright’s main work is done. I’d rather win easily than win with more work. Moving in on GR is just a suicide tactic since any GR who isn’t horrible at the game will easily zone you out forever, and at close range it’s not really clear how you plan to gather evidence short of landing throws which while great and something I do advocate going for when GR moves too close (oftentimes to go for throws himself!) aren’t going to be something you can force on a GR who is taking the defensive posture himself. I think there’s a misunderstanding since calling Maya’s shield is very much a sometimes tactic. Your main tactic against GR is to block a lot, pushblock him out intelligently, and then go for evidence IMMEDIATELY. You usually only have time for one piece (about the same commitment as summoning Maya), but if you are smart about it you can easily get all three before GR and his assist chip you out, especially if you use bad evidence as an anti-air effectively which greatly reduces how bad it is to get bad evidence (Wright’s luck has to be really horrible, like around 10 bad pulls, before you should be failing to get all your evidence if you play good defense). Then you just need one more and a shorter opening to switch to trial and from there everything else is just setting up for a hard tag out, and regardless of how much damage GR has done to you in the process you can be satisfied that Wright just beat GR in effect since you have done 90% of your work toward achieving your team’s win condition (getting Wright into Turnabout and the anchor position, which should almost always translate to a game win). Maya shield is a tool to block his grounded stuff if you get a read on him going for that, and it has the advantage of also blocking GR’s inevitable beam assist which can be very handy if you use it right but again isn’t a main part of what should be your incredibly turtle-centric gameplan.

Yeah, if you have Wright as your last character and he’s not in Turnabout, doing stuff like using the Maya slide to try to trip him up isn’t horrible (Maya’s slide is probably better than the shield against GR just to buy time since GR gets around the shield so easily though it’s still very much a “sometimes” move), but you’re in such a terrible position there anyway and shouldn’t generally play in a way that allows that to happen. I’d still avoid going to trial mode without 3 pieces of evidence since the evidence itself is your main weapon in trial and the trade of Maya for paperwork is kinda dubious in this match-up if you intend to win with just Wright, especially since the threat of Turnabout entry will make GR respect trial Wright a lot more. If GR is low on health and you get the flower vase early (best evidence against GR by far), I’d consider it, but that’s about it. Wright should, though, be able to find all three pieces of evidence and get to trial mode mostly consistently against GR and if GR is the last character and has no assists always and in that situation you honestly only need to get a lead and then have a pretty good shot at just timing him out since GR absolutely should not be able to open you up no matter how long he pressures you so his only viable way to damage you is either moving in for a throw/Penance Stare (if you’re on your defense, you should be avoiding that) or doing chip with his projectile move which is a slow way to chip you out and also gives you a free piece of evidence every time he uses it. This won’t come up often at all anyway since both GR and Wright are best played on point (well, Wright starts on point and ends on anchor, but then that’s Turnabout Wright who has a lot better options than Wright in general).

Talking about Wright match-ups is weird though since, again, I can’t stress enough that in general winning isn’t usually related to doing damage to the opponent. If you can get three pieces of evidence, switch to trial mode, and get out, you’ve won. You have done 90% of the work to get Turnabout Wright into play (landing any combo into a TAC is all that’s left or any of the DHC combos into Maya hyper that combo into Objection), and a competent Wright team should almost always win once Turanbout Wright enters play. GR I know gives a lot of Wright players trouble since he gives you a lot less time than anyone else to look for evidence because of his range, but the silver lining is that he’s really easy to block and that’s the strength you have to play to in this match-up. I feel pretty strongly about this, and I’m pretty confident that this really is the best tactic and should work consistently which means GR is actually not a bad match-up for Wright at all.

There’s an easy way of fighting Zero with Wright.

Spoiler

DONT FIGHT ZERO WITH WRIGHT ARE YOU CRAZY

That’s totally true, but there comes a point where sometimes you will have to be out on the field Turnaboutless and deal with the opponent. Knowing what to do against each character specifically could help save Wright/help power him up effectively.

I guess this isn’t so much of a match-up thread as it is a “how do i play defensively against the cast” thread. At least in Investigation/Trial mode anyway.

Yeah I meant Investigation since that’s his default mode.

This is all formed from my opinion based on approximately 400 online matches with Nick
Also assume this is solely a 1v1 match-up as many tracking assists (Doom Missiles, Vajra, etc.) are hard-counters to nick in themselves.
A * signifies that I’m willing to admit I don’t have that much match-up experience against these characters

Characters Nick has relaitvely no trouble getting evidence against (~6-4 and up in Nick’s Favor)
Chris, Arthur, Frank, Phoenix Wright, Ryu, Morrigan, Tron, Joe, Hsien-ko, Haggar, Shuma, Iron Fist*, Iron Man, Thor, MODOK*, Sentinel, She-Hulk, Jill*, Chun-Li*, Deadool

Characters Nick has moderate trouble getting evidence against (Between 5-5 and 7-3 Against Nick)
Nemesis, Firebrand, Trish, Felicia*, Akuma, Amaterasu, Ghost Rider, Nova, Rocket Raccoon*, Captain America, Doom, Spiderman, Taskmaster, X-23, Storm

Characters Nick has a lot trouble getting evidence against (The 8-2’s and 9-1’s)
Strider, Vergil, Wesker, Zero, Dante, Spencer, C. Viper*, Hawkeye, Strange*, Dormammu, Wolverine, Skrull, Phoenix, Magneto

To me, right now PW beats zoners aside from Hawkeye and to a lesser extent Taskmaster. I use “beats” somewhat loosely as winning comes in the form of getting three good pieces of evidence.
However, many of the characters one would consider PW counters encompass the rest of the High and Top-tiered characters.Teleporting in itself is an easy way to counter Nick and a lot of characters have this tool and use it against him fairly well.
If I see that I’m about to go up against a teleporter, namely Vergil, I will switch the order of my team just to avoid that match-up on point.

Any discrepancies between what I consider the “easy” vs. “hard” match-ups? Arguing these types of things will only help the community as a whole and I promise you won’t hurt my feelings.

Pretty accurate, but let me put my few cents in the ring.
Chun-li is a diffcult match up as she has a good air dash that can open up Wright.
Deadpool v PW is in Deadpool’s favor. Deadpool’s teleport can get behind Maya fairly easily. Also air gun attack can hit Wright if hes not properly protected.
Morrigan with the mirror super up can make PW very pressured and difficult to get evidence.

I was getting destroyed by a cap with sentinel assist but it was mostly the sentinel assist giving me trouble. Any ideas on how to counter it?

Cap shield slash goes through Maya shield and can hit Wirght if hes not in it. For this matchup its all about Wright and the assist being inside the shield to maximize the invincibility of the Maya shield. Don’t underestimate Cap’s ability to attack Wright when he has Maya shield is up. Cap can do that command roll to get behind the shield.
To be honest I wouldn’t even try this match. Try getting Wright and kill Cap with another character maybe Dante. Cap does have bad match-ups.

Rule of thumb I go by is this:

Hard Counters vs Wright = Characters who can teleport directly next to him quickly and avoid Maya’s shield directly, turning one of his best defensive options completely useless.

Wright defeats = Anyone who can’t directly attack Wright from any position and don’t have any other way of getting in other than jumping over the Maya Shield.

Wright goes even with = Anyone who can at least keep enough pressure on Wright to force him to play more intelligently when gathering evidence, but nothing that shuts Wright down completely from the start.

So, IMO (please keep that in mind), this is how I’d place everyone:

Investigation Mode Advantage
Chris, Arthur, Frank, Phoenix Wright, Ryu, Akuma, Morrigan, Tron, Joe, Hsien-ko, Haggar, Shuma, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Thor, MODOK, She-Hulk

These characters are safe to play with Wright on point. Throw out a shield and start to hunt. Some characters may attempt to rush down instead, but they leave opportunities open just long enough to punish their attempts. They will either need to jump over the shield or use some kind of dodgeroll around it, which you can punish. Akuma and Frank may pose the most trouble in this category, but as long as you expect Akuma’s dropkick and tatsu-spam as well as Frank’s dodgeroll, if he has it.

Investigation Mode Even Matchups and Slight Difficulty
Sentinel, Jill, Chun-Li, Nemesis, Firebrand, Trish, Felicia, Ghost Rider, Nova, Doom, Taskmaster, X-23, C. Viper, Hawkeye, Super Skrull, Hulk, Captain America.

Everyone here is a character that can put a decent amount of pressure on Wright without being too ridiculous of a matchup that makes it not so difficult. Having Wright on point is possible as long as you know how to deal with the initial rushdown, such as using the Maya Smelting hyper at the start when they’re in your face, or having plenty of “get-off-me” assist power.

The hardest characters in this category are Nemesis, Ghost Rider, and Hulk. Nemesis and Ghost Rider both have attacks that can attack from a large distance, angled down, meaning they can attack OVER Maya’s shield. Hulk is dangerous due to his size, reach, super armor, and easy combos that can take off half of your health.

Hard Counters to Investigation Wright
Deadpool, Strider, Vergil, Wesker, Zero, Dante, Spencer, Strange, Dormammu, Wolverine, Phoenix, Magneto, Rocket Raccoon, Storm, Amaterasu, Spider-Man

As you can tell, other than Magento and Storm, every character here has some kind of teleport or mixup game that really hurts Wright. Magneto and Storm hurt Wright with their new special moves that draw Wright closer to them, basically pulling him right out from behind his own shield. In order for Wright to get evidence, you can’t have Wright on Point and you NEED to be smart while gathering evidence. Against them, have a plan of defense and dont frantically hunt for evidence unless your opponent is in the middle of doing something that can’t directly stop you.

Get a beam assist/photo evidence(pray) to deal with Sentinel Assist. If you’re using a beam assist, ensure that it’s covered well enough to avoid Cap’s shield hitting the start-up. Sent Drones are free to beam assists/beams.

You don’t want to be in Investigation for too long, imo. Get some evidence (good/bad) and switch.